Newby with cabin ?s

rileylewis

Hi. I'm new to cruising and will be on Nieuw Amsterdam at end of Feb.

Cabin questions:

1) Are all the walls in the cabins metal so I can use magnetic hooks etc. for hanging stuff? (I have heard the idea to use the "command" hooks, but I am afraid of leaving a residue/sticky)

2) Does duct tape leave a sticky residue if you use it to keep drawers/cabinets from banging? Other ideas for this?

3) I've read that some people put things on the outside of their cabin door to decorate it or to make it easier to find. Do people sailing on HAL usually do this or is it considered tacky?

Thanks for your advice.

Our Neptune Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam had metal in the walls and I used lots of magnets to hold invitations, shore excursion information, and port information. Some people put something up outside their cabins. We always do this as it helps to identify our cabin in that long line of cabins.

You might just stick a pad of 3M "stick-em" notes in your suitcase; DH and I use them if we head out on our own for time/place info! Then stick them in a obvious place like the mirror just inside the door!

ENJOY your first cruise -It's a wonderful way to see our world and LEARN! ;)

We also bring a pad of sticky notes to use when we want to leave each other notes on where we are, etc. And they work great and take up very little room in your suitcase.

Some people will decorate their doors and there's nothing wrong with that if you would like to do it. I know that we sail every year for the Superbowl and it's fun to see people showing their support for their teams by putting things on their doors, etc. When my Patriots have gone I bring a big old Patriots magnet or my Patriots flag for the door and they are fun and do make it easy for others to find your cabin if you have invited them to join you for a drink or something.

3M makes an extra sticky post it note that doesn't leave residue. We've never had problems with drawers unless it was really rough. Painters blue masking tape would probably do the trick.

The Command adhesive hooks and clips don't leave residual adhesive behind.

We have never had drawers or doors come open if we remember to close them all the way. If closed everything stays closed.

We too use post it notes for each other and then sometimes tape something on the mirror above the desk. I would be afraid of tearing the paper on the walls.

Most cruise ships have metal walls that work with magnetic clips; most HAL ships (especially the older ones) do not. I have never been on Nieuw Amsterdam or any of it's Vista/Signature sisters but have been on Cunard sister ships Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victora. They definitely do have metal walls and jebhoward3 has reported that at least some Nieuw Amsterdam cabins do as well. I would suggest taking along magnets as the best solution for posting things on the wall and Command hooks as a backup just in case the magnets don't work.

Roy

Cabin questions:

1) Are all the walls in the cabins metal so I can use magnetic hooks etc. for hanging stuff? (I have heard the idea to use the "command" hooks, but I am afraid of leaving a residue/sticky)

2) Does duct tape leave a sticky residue if you use it to keep drawers/cabinets from banging? Other ideas for this?

3) I've read that some people put things on the outside of their cabin door to decorate it or to make it easier to find. Do people sailing on HAL usually do this or is it considered tacky?

Thanks for your advice.

1. I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 24 days with 3 other people in an inside cabin. There was plenty of storage. There's no need for magnetic hooks.

2. No need for duct tape either. The drawers and the closet doors stay closed.

3. Have never seen this on a HAL cruise. You're more likely to see this on Disney.

We don't pack duct tape. On one transatlantic the one drawer did bang. I had packed bandaids and used them to keep that drawer from banging. No residue was left on the drawer when we took it off!

Decorations on doors vary from cruise to cruise. I have seen some cruises with lots and some with a few. (I tend to deliver meet & greet invites so get a chance to get a good look at many hall ways).

There is nothing wrong with putting something on your door if you are so inclined.

enjoy your cruise :D

Edited by kazu

I think on my second cruise I took a Canadian flag magnet to put on the outside of the door. door is not metal. what do you use to keep things on the door........just regular old tape?

I read somewhere that a guy always put a magnetic bumper sticker on his door so he could find it easier. So now I'm wondering if the doors to the cabins are metal. ???

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Hi

I have been using those ribbon kind of things you put on a gift box. I always use them and people have thanked me because they my ribbon thiny to find thier roome. They have then on the dollar store they are called curly bows. I did not stick them to wall in the Zuiderdam I used those electrictical ties to my maik box I forgot to take them and they were gone the morning I left.

Mary

I like doing something special to our door! There are lots of methods for doing it. My preferred way is to get a length of ribbon (the spools you get of about 1-inch wide, about 12-14 feet long work well) at a craft store and sew a length of elastic to the two ends. The first time you won't know how long it should be as it must go all the way around the height of the door-- a loop, in other words, that's held tightly against the door because of the elastic that you'll let fall on the back side of the door, so measure on a door at home and allow a bit extra. I bring a needle, thread, the ribbon, a length of elastic to put it up. Then I pin, sew, staple, whatever depending on what I want to put on the door. Christmas, it will be a big bow with little ornaments hanging on it. Other times, something that fits with the theme of the cruise. It can't hurt the door and I take it home, ready to use again. Very easy. And for sure, it doesn't leave anything for the cabin steward to clean off the door. We do off-center the band on the door so it doesn't cover the safety peep-hold in the door. If I didn't enjoy this I wouldn't do it, but I do have fun with it.

We have recently been on the Statendam where the walls held magnetic clothespins from the Container Store quite nicely. We always take a printout of the itinerary map and hang the paper on the wall; it's fun to keep track of what's next, especially on longer cruises with lots of ports.

Newcomers should not get the idea that everybody's doing this decorating and it's expected. Some of us who cruise a lot enjoy it, and it's fun to talk to other cruisers about our door choices, but certainly a majority of people don't bother. It's very much a personal choice thing.

Edited by Spinner2

Cabin questions:

Thanks for your advice.

We decorate our cabin door. Tacky? I don't know, but on our last cruise, passengers put sticky notes on our door thanking us for decorating our door as it made it easier for them to find their own cabins. By the end of the week, we had dozens of stickies all over our door. Some of them were quite funny and charming and no one thought it was tacky. Returning to the cabin at night was a special occasion because we looked forward to whatever was left NEXT! Funny thing is..we never met any of the people who left the notes!:)

<snip>

Newcomers should not get the idea that everybody's doing this decorating and it's expected. Some of us who cruise a lot enjoy it, and it's fun to talk to other cruisers about our door choices, but certainly a majority of people don't bother. It's very much a personal choice thing.

That is very true. That would be the very last thing I would ever do. My luggage is way too full already. If it floats your boat, go for it.

Like many things door decorations can be tasteful or tacky. I've seen both. It also varies by cruise line, I've seen perhaps 30% on some RCI cruises and more like 2% on HAL, but it definitely is done, and is nice when in taste.

Roy

In all our HAL cruises, Roy, I have never seen a door decorated...with the exception of the time we did the "Good Nuts Cruise" and Rev. Neal made up really neat Cruise Critic door signs.

All I've ever seen are balloons provided by the ship.

I agree with the comment about thanking someone who has marked their door. We certainly did, when we ran into folks who had marked their door with a large curly bow, just around the corner of the forward elevator, and we never took a single wrong turn. We sure appreciated it, and a door decoration looks great!