Southern or Western Caribbean

We originally were looking into an Alaska cruise, but have since decided to go to the Caribbean instead. We are definitely sailing on Royal, but have two choices: a 7 night Southern Caribbean on the Jewel of the Seas departing San Juan with a more interesting itinerary and only one sea day. OR a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas departing Port Canaveral with a simpler itinerary and two days at sea.

Based on the ships and ports, any suggestions as to which one to choose?

We originally were looking into an Alaska cruise, but have since decided to go to the Caribbean instead. We are definitely sailing on Royal, but have two choices: a 7 night Southern Caribbean on the Jewel of the Seas departing San Juan with a more interesting itinerary and only one sea day. OR a 7 night Western Caribbean on the Freedom of the Seas departing Port Canaveral with a simpler itinerary and two days at sea.

Based on the ships and ports, any suggestions as to which one to choose?

On ship alone I would go Western but I am not too fond of that itinerary. We are going to be doing our first Southern later this year so I can't comment on those ports but we disliked the Western ports. I would do the southern just for some excitement and change of the "normal" ports of call.

On ship alone I would go Western but I am not too fond of that itinerary. We are going to be doing our first Southern later this year so I can't comment on those ports but we disliked the Western ports. I would do the southern just for some excitement and change of the "normal" ports of call.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Southern Caribbean itineraries are our favorite, but everybody has different preferences depending upon itinerary, whether it's just adults or a family with children, number of days at sea, size of ship, etc.

I saw that you've been on the Jewel of the Seas before. Did you enjoy the ship? Which Southern Caribbean itinerary were you considering?

Edited by marys350
add information

Southern Caribbean itineraries are our favorite, but everybody has different preferences depending upon itinerary, whether it's just adults or a family with children, number of days at sea, size of ship, etc.

I saw that you've been on the Jewel of the Seas before. Did you enjoy the ship? Which Southern Caribbean itinerary were you considering?

Yes, we loved the Jewel. Great layout and the service was also wonderful.

We were considering the itinerary with St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

Southern is so enticing! I just REALLY want to know which ships will be sailing out of San Juan next summer (2015)... does anyone know how I can figure this out? I sometimes see people post port schedules that hint at different ships being in port ahead of the schedule release. maybe that is where I could look...

any suggestions?

A~

Yes, we loved the Jewel. Great layout and the service was also wonderful.

We were considering the itinerary with St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados.

We have done this itinerary and it was wonderful. Our next cruise is on the Jewel of the Seas with stops in Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Dominica, and Barbados. Can't wait.

Another vote for the Southern with the following caveat - I think the Southern itinerary with Aruba and Curacao is so far superior to the itinerary with St. Croix and Barbados. Just my opinion but I found St. Croix to be one of the worst ports we have ever been to. And Aruba and Curacao were amazing. But that is just one man's opinion.

Another vote for the Southern with the following caveat - I think the Southern itinerary with Aruba and Curacao is so far superior to the itinerary with St. Croix and Barbados. Just my opinion but I found St. Croix to be one of the worst ports we have ever been to. And Aruba and Curacao were amazing. But that is just one man's opinion.

We have been on a Southern Caribbean with a stop in Aruba and it was great! Aruba was wonderful!

We've never been to St. Croix and the southern itinerary we were looking at does not include it anyway. Barbados wasn't bad. Not the nicest port, but we did do a nice excursion.

I am glad to hear that. That is the trip we are taking in September on Jewel.:D

Without question or hesitation - SOUTHERN!

Yes, it's a smaller ship with less of the WOW features RCL is known for, but you'll be OFF the ship so much of the time! So there is no FlowRider...how much would you even get to use it??

I LOVE the southern islands and the more port-intensive itineraries. And I was surprised after my first cruise on a smaller, Radiance class ship, that I actually preferred the atmosphere.

PS: I have cruised from San Juan three times previously. I've never had an issue with my fellow passengers.

Edited by printingchick

Agree with printing chick...cruised 4 times out of SJU, never encountered any problems with other pax! Sailed same itin on Jewel last July and LOVED it! Lots to do on all of the islands, we prefer port intensive cruise and love the southern route for that reason. We have also sailed Freedom and loved the ship, only wish that the Florida itin's were more interesting. Freedom has some great features like the cantilevered hot tubs, flow rider, ice show, promenade. If I was able to book another cruise today, I would go with another Southern on Jewel or Adventure.

Yet another vote for the Southern routes! We are taking our 3rd Southern route this March on Jewel. We previously did 2 slightly different Southern routes on Serenade. We especially loved St. Lucia, Barbados, Dominica and St. Kitts. Some great tour operators on each of these islands made each stop very special. We did the Western route once and didn't enjoy it. The islands weren't as welcoming. It wasn't much fun getting off the ship in Cosomel and having guards with machine guns all around. That was in 2005 so maybe it's better now.