Freedom of the Seas - jerky

beshears

We are to be cruising to Falmouth, Jamaica. I understand they are known for their beef jerky. If you have had any of this, was it good, and was there a special place to buy it?

Edited by beshears

We are to be cruising to Falmouth, Jamaica. I understand they are know for their beef jerky. If you have had any of this, was it good, and was there a special place to buy it?

No, they are known for their jerk chicken.

:)

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/jerk_chicken.htm

jerk-chicken.jpg

No, they are known for their jerk chicken.

:)

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/jerk_chicken.htm

jerk-chicken.jpg

..which - as any food from Jamaica that is "jerk" - is a far cry from any type of American "jerky". Very different spices and resulting flavor. "Jerky" is also a dried, cold meat whereas "Jerk" is fresh and hot prepared. Two completely different foods.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

They are also know for their meat pies... you can get them right at the port... when in Jamaica... try the meat pies!!! And the jerk chicken.... and a red stripe beer... oh... Jamaican Rum...

Edited by LindaO

The OP made my day with this question. No disrespect whatsoever. You will enjoy it regardless.:D

Me too! I thought the OP meant that the FOS rocked/swayed too much. anyway, I had no problems with the FOS swaying at all! Very smooth ride. LOl!!!!

They are also know for their meat pies... you can get them right at the port... when in Jamaica... try the meat pies!!! And the jerk chicken.... and a red stripe beer... oh... Jamaican Rum...

Um, mystery meat pies..........ate one once. Never again.

Ever see Sweeney Todd? ;) :eek:

Um, mystery meat pies..........ate one once. Never again.

Ever see Sweeney Todd? ;) :eek:

LOL... I guess I would have thought twice about it if I hadn't gone with some ship staff... including one of the Chefs... I just put my faith in them that they knew where to go... but now that you mention it... I may never eat a meat pie again!!! LOL.... Sweeney Todd.... or maybe "the secret is in the sauce"... Fried Green Tomatoes???

I'm sure you are aware of this, but when they say HOT they mean HOT!!!

We love spicy food, but we are Canadian, and our spicy food to locals are laughable!! Just be cautious about how spicy their spicy is.. ha

Chass

LOL!! I thought it was funny too. The first thing I thought of was, "where is the beef coming from to make beef jerky??!!" Goat or pig jerky yes...but cattle ranches on Jamaica?? :eek:

OP..thanks for the laugh. I will stick to the delicious beef coming from your area! :)

Edited by island lady

Jerk spiced meats, fish, or chicken is the best! If you like spicy food you definitely need to have some. Jerk is one of the best (IMHO) of the Caribbean spices!

Jerk isn't a spice, per say. It's a combination of a variety of spices and then cooking the meat over pimento wood. That's jerk. Everyone has their own special combination of spices that they use, so no two "jerk" recipes are the same...or very few, but it's the cooking the heavily spiced meats over pimento wood that makes it "JERK".

You know, I wasn't sure what we'd do in Falmouth...but now I know. Look for some good jerk chicken and a Red Stripe!

The jerk chicken is indeed very popular! Even Jimmy Buffet sings about it in some

of his songs. :)

Some of our friends said they wondered into town for BBQ goat...said it was very

good. Though I do love goat cheese....ummm....I guess I would need a couple of

those Red Stripes before I tried the BBQ variety!

Jerk chicken and Red Stripe at a buffet lunch as part of our excursion. Best moment of the whole stop in Jamaica.

(It was at some sort of nature park. Can't remember the name of it, just that we went there after Dunn's River Falls. They had a dolphin show and some other marine life. Plus a big cage full of birds you could walk in to. Then lunch.)