How many evening outfits do you take?

Lerin

One of the things I love about cruises is the opportunity to dress up! We're at the stage of our lives when all of our friends are pretty much already married but no one has kids of marriage age yet, so the opportunities to really dress fancy are very few and far between.

So for our 7-night Allure cruise (TWO WEEKS!!!), I'm bringing two full-length dresses for formal nights and several more cocktail-type dresses for dinner in Chops, 150 Central Park, and maybe just dressing up in the MDR even on "casual" nights. And both my husband and our six-year-old son will be in their tuxes on both formal nights. (Nothing like a cute little blonde boy and his handsome daddy dressed to the nines!)

I like to pack the number of dinners . . . Minus two.

Casual outfits may be recycled as day wear after they've made it to dinner once.

Any dinner outfit may end up being repeated at another dinner.

But "minus two" seems to be just right.

Equally important, I make sure all my dinner outfits "work with" the same pair of heels (or, with the casual outfits, daytime sandals) and the same evening clutch. When you look at JUST the dress, you're not looking at that much to pack . . . But if the dress requires a separate "set up" of shoes, etc., that's what eats up your suitcase space.

To a week or less, I take the number of nights minus two. I generally wear all or part of an outfit more than once (for example, the same LBD with different jewelry or a wrap, or the same ants with a different top.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always bring 1 checked bag and a carry on....this coming cruise

is a bit different. I am sailing on a 3 night cruise, followed by an 8 nighter.

I have to move (thankfully only about 4 doors down) for the 2nd cruise.

I have an inside cabin for the short one and a balcony for the long one:)

Anyway, as to the packing part.....this is what I am doing.....the

clothing in my carry on bag is what I am wearing for the short cruise.

I really don't want to open the big bag until I move to the balcony.

And yes, the carry on bag will hold all that I need:D....and my checked

bag? I just finished packing that one.....I fly to FLL on Tuesday and

sail on Wednesday:)

I always bring 1 checked bag and a carry on....this coming cruise

is a bit different. I am sailing on a 3 night cruise, followed by an 8 nighter.

I have to move (thankfully only about 4 doors down) for the 2nd cruise.

I have an inside cabin for the short one and a balcony for the long one:)

Anyway, as to the packing part.....this is what I am doing.....the

clothing in my carry on bag is what I am wearing for the short cruise.

I really don't want to open the big bag until I move to the balcony.

And yes, the carry on bag will hold all that I need:D....and my checked

bag? I just finished packing that one.....I fly to FLL on Tuesday and

sail on Wednesday:)

I'm kind of doing the same thing for my next cruise. Mom and I are using a set of packing cubes for the airport through embarkation. I don't want to have to dig in the big suitcase for one night in Miami and have to repack it the morning of the cruise. That got really annoying last time!

I'm kind of doing the same thing for my next cruise. Mom and I are using a set of packing cubes for the airport through embarkation. I don't want to have to dig in the big suitcase for one night in Miami and have to repack it the morning of the cruise. That got really annoying last time!

Hope it goes better for you this time:)

I have my 3 nights of clothing and my daytime stuff...all of it fits in the

carry on bag. 2 pair of nice slacks......one is purple and one is black. I

will wear the black ones twice...but I am wearing 3 different tops;)

Oh, I am bringing a tote bag too.....my purse actually fits inside the

tote so I can bring the tote AND the carry on with me on the plane.

Some other items are going in the tote bag too......And once Saturday

comes and I move into my balcony cabin I will unpack the checked bag!

Edited by Lois R

Hope it goes better for you this time:)

I have my 3 nights of clothing and my daytime stuff...all of it fits in the

carry on bag. 2 pair of nice slacks......one is purple and one is black. I

will wear the black ones twice...but I am wearing 3 different tops;)

Oh, I am bringing a tote bag too.....my purse actually fits inside the

tote so I can bring the tote AND the carry on with me on the plane.

Some other items are going in the tote bag too......And once Saturday

comes and I move into my balcony cabin I will unpack the checked bag!

I'm slowly but surely getting smarter about my packing. I don't mind the packing cubes going in the big suitcases, but I just want to be able to pull them out for the hotel instead of digging out that one pair of shoes that got packed at the bottom.

I think it's very smart to leave the big suitcase for your long cruise. I'm jealous that you get to do a b2b!

I'm slowly but surely getting smarter about my packing. I don't mind the packing cubes going in the big suitcases, but I just want to be able to pull them out for the hotel instead of digging out that one pair of shoes that got packed at the bottom.

I think it's very smart to leave the big suitcase for your long cruise. I'm jealous that you get to do a b2b!

Yea....I don't want to unpack the checked bag and then 3 days later

have to move all the clothing. It will be much easier to just wheel the

bag down the hall;)....as for the b2b? It is VERY RARE that I am able to

ever do one.....turned out good for sure......WED, THURS, FRIDAY....

and Saturday starts the 8 night cruise:D

Oh...this thread was actually about how many outfits people are taking......I am probably taking too much

but que sera....I am packed and I am not unpacking until I get to the ship:)...LOL

The pants for the 3 night cruise? Not even sure I will wear them on the 8 nighter. I have another

pair of silk pants (they are in the checked bag) and I am brining quite a few skirts this trip.

One is black and white...the pattern looks like chain links.......

One is a blue animal print

One is solid black

One is a reversable.......one print is geometric/the other side is animal print...black/beige/brown

One is (one of my favorites) a floral pattern black/grey and purples......

Well, I am only counting 6 skirts....can't think if I missed one LOL........and silk slacks make 7.....well,

it is an 8 night cruise so I will probably wear the purple pants again:)

Oh....I have a black/white maxi dress that I am bringing too.........not sure if you ever saw the photo of it.

I love it.......so that is going with me too!

Edited by Lois R

I always pack a carry on with one of each type of outfit needed, eg. 1 short, top, long pant, top, bathing suit cover up and few underwear and nice flip flops. Have had lost luggage more than once and this way I can enjoy all parts of the cruise until the luggage catches up. Also we put half of one person's clothes in a suitcase and half of the other person's in the same suitcase for the same reason. Two checked bags, half and half in each. We have had allour luggage lost, and half of it lost. This way neither of us miss anything and never get upset if that does happen. We go on fully enjoying our cruise and we all know how easy it is to only wear half the things you bring anyway:)

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app I

I take an outfit for every night of the cruise. The first night is usually what I wear to embark (or change the top), and I disembark in the same outfit. The rest of the cruise I just count the # of nights and plan accordingly. I love dresses and wear fancy cocktail dresses for elegant night(s) and wear sundresses or dressy dresses the other nights. I bring at least 2 pr dress heels (strappy sandal types). I work a color palette so my shoes, bag, jewelry, etc go well with each other. I always have more in my suitcase than what I actually wear and I only bring a carry-on type rolly & personal bag. BTW, I am not small sz 6-8, shoe size 9. It is not hard to do, just requires some planning. Planning my outfits in advance gives me more time for fun and less time for decisions on the ship.

I take a cocktail dress for every night and prob 2-3 extra ones. I also take a long evening dress for each formal night and either 1-2 extra ones. I will also take 3-5 casual dresses that I will sometimes change into on the formal nights after dinner...depends on if I plan on dancing or not.....That's all evening wear.....

Our next cruise is 5 nights. I'm taking a unique dress for each night...I'm not going very formal this year...I'd call my "formal" night dress more of a party dress and less formal...the other dresses are more sundress-like. On the last cruise I sailed, I really appreciated the one night that I could change into a sundress. It felt so easy to do...just putting on one comfortable item of clothing.

My daywear is repeated a lot. I get by with one pair of shorts and one skirt and a variety of tops. I don't have any hangups about repeating clothing. Fresh underwear though...multiple underwear for each day even. :D

Seriously, ladies, you are taking way too much! Taking a long dress on a cruise is an anachronism even on the more luxury ships, plus it takes up so much room in your bag. I usually take a a black suit and an extra jacket that can be worn with the black pant. If going to warmer climes, a white dress pant to work with both items. One black dress shoe and one dress bag. One black cocktail dress would be more than enough. You can always use a jacket with it as well. Change your accessories and it is a new outfit. My husband and I have taken cruises with carry-on luggage only and he still has taken his tuxedo!

I am so over taking things that I don't wear! Plus, you don't always see the same people every night and if you have table mates, and they comment, tell them to get over it!

I am with Laurie and I also disagree that long gowns are an anachronism, tell that to the gals at the Oscars etc., there is nothing old fashioned about them.

I know how to dress formally and in my book formal is to the ground long gown, cocktail is to the knee and never ever trousers for formal etiquette (again no shouting as I know some gals have no choice). Maybe that makes me old fashioned but I am nearer 40 than 50 so not stuck in the past by any means. I also attended almost monthly for 20 years formal dos and watched women in trouser (who didn't know any better, usually girlfriends of members unaccustomed to the attire rules, turned away, seriously turned away as the odre du jour was floor length gowns. I know some of the cruise lines are less strict but it is all a personal choice.

I would never wear a jacket when dressing formally on a cruise, and not a suit either. I choose not to re wear anything either so it is horses for courses.

This is all of course just my opinion and you may think snob and that is absolutely fine and folks can wear whatever they like but I wouldn't say to someone you are old fashioned because you wear trousers to a formal night which is the equivalent of the analogy about long gowns.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a different skirt and top for each dinner night and a couple of tropical maxi dresses for formal nights. With a nice necklace and dress sandals, they look formal. Like everyone else has posted, I bring colors that will mix and match so I only need 1-2 pairs of shoes, plus flip flops and tennis shoes. I have to say, though that one of our previous dinner mates wore the same simple dress every single night and I thought, good for her! I'm sure her packing was a breeze!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last cruise was 10 nights. I took 2 long dresses for formal nights, and 9 cocktail dresses. In addition I had a different daytime outfit for each day and a pair of shoes/sandals and jewellry for each outfit(total of 20 pairs)!!! I also had 11 purses which included 2 for the formal dresses and the others were cross-body style or wristlets. I took 2 suitcases plus my carry-on! I enjoy dressing up and so does my DH! Life is too short to not do what you love to do!!!:D;)

I'm also not one for re-wearing clothing. But I changed my mind a couple of cruises back because I found a way to do it that fit my style.

We usually cruise on Carnival or NCL which are casual-clothing lines so my MDR outfits are usually made up of nice tops, a pair of nice capri pants, and dressy sandals (either flat, wedged, or low-heeled). Sometimes I wear long skirts or a nice dress.

Here's what changed my mind about re-wearing clothes;

One night I was getting ready to dress for dinner. I had my capri pants on and when I went to put on my top...I accidentally caught my bracelet in the lacy fabric and ripped a hole in it. Not wanting to repeat wearing the same top in the MDR I put on one of my really cute swimsuit cover-ups. It was black and white, had pearls, sequins, and rhinestones on it and it had an elastic waist. I wore a black camisole under it. I got so many compliments on that cover-up that I'll never forget it. Two days later I wore it with the swimsuit I had planned to wear it with. So that got me to thinking...I could buy really pretty cover-up tops and wear them with my capri pants on one night and then with a swimsuit on another day. It's worked out great for me! It really has lightened up my suitcase. I also took that idea a little further on my last cruise and used a couple of maxi-length skirts for dinner in the MDR and then over my swimsuit on another day. So now I pack even lighter. This way I don't have to repeat outfits in the MDR. I love it!:D

Edited by mousey

My teen daughter & I wear something different each night. We take dresses for formal night. She has short 'homecoming' type cocktail dresses and I take fancier cocktail dresses for formal night - I pack one extra. One cruise, I had a fitted dress - but I'd swollen and it was late in the cruise, it looked terrible ! I didn't have a back up that time, so wore the same one from before.

On the other nights, daughter wears fancy skirts & bling or fun tops, dresses, etc. I wear nice capri pants and fancy tops with jewelry or nice dresses.

Dress Barn surprisingly has a lot. I got black chiffon pants (with the flowy legs) last year & love them. I have a solid beaded black/gold top I wear with them. I just got a new top to go with them on Saturday so I can mix it up.

My husband and college son take 2 suits, black, gray, and kahki pants. They have a different shirt/tie or shirt/vest/tie combo or collared golf shirt to mix & match. This time, college son has a navy jacket he's taking along to go with kahkis.

Sometimes, daughter changes after dinner to go with her friends. The rest of us wear the same clothes throughout the evening.

My first cruise I packed a cocktail dress, a couple of street dresses, and a skirt plus blouses to mix and match. I actually found that to be unsatisfactory for me.

Next time it was two formal gowns plus five inexpensive yet well fitting maxi dresses. That worked very well. My simple knit maxi dress from Target drew many unsolicited compliments from folks who loved the color and fit. I was glad to be reminded it's not all about the money.

We're now preparing for a 3 night getaway in a cold weather city. I have one silk cocktail dress that will be worn with a sweater and boots. The other three nights will be a pair of black palazzo pants paired with one of two tops. No evening is formal, just dinner out and maybe a live show.

Our next cruise (April 4!) is a B2B that will total 30 days. There will be 3 formal nights on both legs so my tentative plans are to take two long dresses that are very simple and toss in a suitcase with no wrinkles, 3 or 4 cocktail dresses, 5 or 6 sundresses, 1 pair of black pants, 4 pairs of capris, 10-12 tops, 3 bathing suits and 4 cover ups. Plus, workout clothes, undies, etc. I will definitely wear things more than once!

Sherri:)