Oli's Trolley vs. Acadiatours

paylady

Has anyone used Oli's Trolley before? We are looking to go on a 2 1/2 hour tour of Acadia and are not interested in the free bus. The other option is acadiatours by bus.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these tour operators?

• 3 weeks later...

We went on the Oli's Trolley last year and really enjoyed it. It takes you up to Cadallic Mtn. where you can get off, walk around and take pictures. They stop at the blow hole and The Wild Gardens of Acadia also. It was a very interesting tour. We liked it because it was a small group and not a big bus load of people.

Good. I was hoping we'd be able to get off at a few places to take some pictures. And it does look like it will be better than on one of those darn buses! It looks like you can kind of hang out the windows if you want. Thanks for the reply.

Haven't done it yet, but acadia tours promises pretty much the same stuff.

"This scenic tour is approximately 2 - 1/2 hours long and makes three stops (15 min. each) in Acadia National Park.

For your comfort and enjoyment all tours are done by bus due to the variety of weather conditions we experience here and the length of the tour. We were Acadia's first touring company established in 1955. This tour is a must for nature lovers, history buffs and photographers.

Tour includes Bar Harbor, summer estates, Acadia's flora and fauna, geology, wildlife, Cadillac Mt., Sieur De Monts Spring, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs and the Jordan Pond House. "

cujosmom - Thanks for bumping this. We are on the sailing just prior to yours - 9/4. I heard that Oli's Trolley has open windows so that means bringing extra layers in September. I see you're from San Antonio. I've been there many times as I work with many folks from there. San Antonio is one of the friendliest towns.

Dr. Oz - Thanks for posting that description of the tour. It was very helpful.

I'm so glad to hear Oli's has open windows! I'm a photo nut and will be taking photos like crazy! One of the best tours I ever had was in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in a old van and the driver left the side sliding doors open the entire time. I got some really good pictures that way.

We've had such a hot, dry summer so far in south Texas that I will really be ready for some cool temps....just no rain, please.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a gusstimate, but I would say there were about 20-25 people on the trolley. There is a web site you can check out at acadiaislandtours.com and another at acadiainfo.com/olistrolley. On this web site they show two trolleys, we were on the smaller one.

There were bathrooms at the Wild Gardens of Acadia. The tour takes you up to Cadallic Mtn. first and then stops on the way down at various other places. I don't remember there being any bathrooms other than at the Gardens, however, there could have been some at the Blow Hole, not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Ollie's Trolley a few years ago and loved it. Yes, they are open air trolleys. We so appreciated the smaller numbers (15-20?) every time we passed busloads of people loading/unloading. I'm sure we saw a lot more than those on full size buses, simply because of all the time it takes them to load/unload at each stop.

We bought our tickets for Ollie's just as we stepped off the ship's tender. Very easy.

The "blow hole" is actually called "Thunder Hole" - To the best of my knowledge there are no facilities there - there are restrooms at the top of Cadillac Mountain and at Sand Beach, both areas should be stopping points. Jan
Maybe it's new, but there was one bathroom at Thunderhole when we were there last month. My daughter used it, I waited until Jordan Pond House. :)

We did Ollie's Trolley a few years ago and loved it. Yes, they are open air trolleys. We so appreciated the smaller numbers (15-20?) every time we passed busloads of people loading/unloading. I'm sure we saw a lot more than those on full size buses, simply because of all the time it takes them to load/unload at each stop.

We bought our tickets for Ollie's just as we stepped off the ship's tender. Very easy.

Our bus loaded and unloaded expeditiously, and we didn't feel rushed or squashed at all. The tour guide *makes* the experience, I think, and Roger was fantastic.

Merion Mom - I'm glad every time restrooms are added as after having 3 kids I have decided to write a book called "bathrooms I have known"! Glad you had the real answer! To all - I truly hope all have the opportunity to visit Maine and to see how much we all love living here. Jan

• 4 years later...
We went on the Oli's Trolley last year and really enjoyed it. It takes you up to Cadallic Mtn. where you can get off, walk around and take pictures. They stop at the blow hole and The Wild Gardens of Acadia also. It was a very interesting tour. We liked it because it was a small group and not a big bus load of people.

Do they pick you up at the pier?

For anyone doing one of the later fall sailings I have just called Oli's Trolley and confirmed that they will be running a tour on November 1 (for any QM2ers on the October 29 sailing who will be in BH on Nov 1). I wanted to confirm because their website said tours runs May-October.

She took my reservation by email but payment is made locally when you pick up your tickets.

Just an FYI!

I chose Acadia bus tours over Oli's because it looked like it stopped at more places. Is this correct? I'd like the size of the trolley better, but want to stop at as many places as possible. Anybody know if I am correct or do they stop at the same places?

Archived