Latest rule on price reductions

edeneyes

I agree fully with this statement. I understand they work it differently in the computer and you keep the same booking number, etc. But the point is RCI does not have to do it this way. They simply do because it's more convenient for the guests. They could just as easily say no re-pricing of cruises. If you find a lower price and wish to book it then you can cancel your existing cruise and book the new rate. How many complaints would they receive if they did this? The point is they can. You are taking advantage of current prices on a prime location cabin that you booked earlier. I see no reason that the perks you get should not directly collaborate with the time of when you are receiving the price. Book early at the early rate, get the greater C&A discounts. Re-price within 6 months of cruise at the current price receive the appropriate C&A discounts for that time frame. This holds true when upgrading also. You are taking advantage of current market prices then your applicable discount should also apply to the current time to collaborate with prices. I know I'm in the minority here but I am sorry I think you are all making way to much out of this.
I'm another that agrees with your view. Edited by FLACRUISER99

We paid an extra $500 to upgrade and still got poked in the eye with a reduction in the balcony discount.

This isn't about price drops - it's about any re-faring on a reservation. If I book an OV and then within 6 months of the cruise decide that I want to upgrade to the Royal Suite, RCI will take my extra $5000 in cruise fare and then poke me in the eye by taking $25 off the discount. I don't see that as a sound business practice.

Just to add another scenario to the mix. I just changed cabins to E2 from an E3 for our Alaska cruise that is 115 days out. I wanted the larger balcony on deck 7 of the Radiance OTS. The cost was an additional $55pp.

Best part is they kept our $225 balcony discount.

And a side note, the booking confirmations have changed just a little. OBC is now listed in a separate section.

From a marketing point of view, the C&A discount for booking over 6 months out is an incentive that is a reward for letting the company fill the ship a little earlier.

Price drops happen when select categories are not selling as well as expected; if the price drop happens after final payment, then I feel pleased that I am still allowed to purchase an upgrade or move up to a higher category.

I consider the C&A balcony discount to be a very nice perk, and I understand that to take maximum advantage, I have to book early. RCI could consider an upgrade as a new booking; the airlines certainly do.

JMHO,

Barb

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Call. Complain. Ask for a supervisor. Then all for his. Eventually they will give you almost anything.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3

Maybe not a good thing, but true.

This happened to me a couple months ago and a whined a little bit and it was almost immediately reversed. The rep was very empathetic and took care of me.

We paid an extra $500 to upgrade and still got poked in the eye with a reduction in the balcony discount.

This isn't about price drops - it's about any re-faring on a reservation. If I book an OV and then within 6 months of the cruise decide that I want to upgrade to the Royal Suite, RCI will take my extra $5000 in cruise fare and then poke me in the eye by taking $25 off the discount. I don't see that as a sound business practice.

Hi Jean, I agree with you on this one IMHO. As a side note away from this thread, someone told me that you had Blake E's email address because I would like to contact him. Is this true? Much Thanks!

Edited by seatraveler1

ISeems as if RCL has made cuts in personnel and substituted lower quality food.

I wonder how long it will take them to realize their WOW ads are not offsetting the numbers of former 'Loyal to Royal" cruisers who are no longer booking with RCL, or any cruise line. I can now get much better value on land tours and even European river cruises.

I have had similar thoughts as well. I am a value shopper, but perhaps not as price sensitive as some other CC members. I am now leaning more toward Royal's Celebrity brand (even though I still like RCCL). While their company policies may be the same or very similar, I am initially finding Celebrity to be a better overall cruise experience & value. And if Celebrity begins to disappoint, I will then explore other travel options.

We are booked on the FOS May 25 sailing in a K cabin, 3 people ($2,617.98). We got $100 on board credit, plus be reimbursed for up to $300 of onboard spending after the cruise. Saw recently that the rates for that sailing on everything below junior suites had dropped $50pp. Called trying to get this rate reduction and the TA got on phone with RC and the overall cost of the cruise was going to go up by $11.45 ($2,629.43) and we would lose the "perks", I said no thanks I'll stick with what I got. I didn't quite understand what was going on, but they said the first two passengers price went down but the 3rd persons went up. Go figure. Not complaining, just confused.

I called today to take advantage of a price reduction and even though the reduction was honored, the agent notified me that my $325 balcony discount would be reduced to $300 because the price change is now within 6 months before the cruise date. So now I have a reduction, but it is not as much as it should have been because they recently changed the policy so as not to honor the original balcony discount. Seems unfair as they have been holding my deposit for almost a year. Oh well, it's still a lower price.

I didn't realize it until I called Crown and Anchor today to ask some questions about my upcoming cruise, but when I asked what my balance was, the agent told me the balance was $25 less than it showed on my invoice. She e-mailed me a copy and it showed that my original $325 balcony discount was back. I have no idea why, but I didn't ask.

• 3 weeks later...
To anyone that thinks twenty five dollars is nothing. I'll take it. It all helps. Anyway. If rci take$25 from 100,000 people that is an extra $250,000 for them. .

Sent from my Samsung Note 3

Actually it's $2,500,000.00 Edited by rascalious

$25 really, I think we should all be happy they even honor price drops. Airlines don't.

Unfortunately, this is not true. I have gotten credits back from both Airtran and Southwest. (I realize these 2 have supposedly merged but at our airport, they are still 2 different airlines, weird.) As a matter of fact, I reused my Airtran credit for our luggage on that last one. Southwest put the credit back to my card.

I agree though, I would not bicker over $25.00. RC isn't required to give us anything as frequent cruisers. I'm just happy and feel blessed that we can cruise at all.

Unfortunately, this is not true. I have gotten credits back from both Airtran and Southwest. (I realize these 2 have supposedly merged but at our airport, they are still 2 different airlines, weird.) As a matter of fact, I reused my Airtran credit for our luggage on that last one. Southwest put the credit back to my card.

I agree though, I would not bicker over $25.00. RC isn't required to give us anything as frequent cruisers. I'm just happy and feel blessed that we can cruise at all.

I never knew Southwest would put the credit back on the credit card.

Well, unless it was a fluke Bob, they did mine. This was about a year ago or less. Of course, as we all know, if you call RC more than once, you can get a different answer. :rolleyes: Maybe the person at SW helping me didn't know any better.

:D

Well, unless it was a fluke Bob, they did mine. This was about a year ago or less. Of course, as we all know, if you call RC more than once, you can get a different answer. :rolleyes: Maybe the person at SW helping me didn't know any better.

:D

Maybe you had one of the fully refundable business fares.