Latest rule on price reductions

edeneyes

I called today to take advantage of a price reduction and even though the reduction was honored, the agent notified me that my $325 balcony discount would be reduced to $300 because the price change is now within 6 months before the cruise date. So now I have a reduction, but it is not as much as it should have been because they recently changed the policy so as not to honor the original balcony discount. Seems unfair as they have been holding my deposit for almost a year. Oh well, it's still a lower price.

I heard about this a while back. I agree, you made the booking more than 6 mo in advance, but they can make (and change) the rules whatever they want.

They can, and I can kind of see them doing it for a price drop, but they tried to do it to us when we upgraded and paid significantly more for our cabin in December. That was annoying. The C&A rep was more annoyed than I was and reversed it, but I think that it's ridiculous to penalize somebody for paying more.

Interesting. I noticed a significant drop on one cruise and a slight ($11) on another. I called to see about adjustments and the one with the small drop (and within 6 mos) couldn't be changed. I was so tickled about the bigger drop that I really didn't press the issue. Even though the agent did not say it, I wonder if that was the reason they couldn't adjust the price.

As someone who tracks price drops religiously, I typically upsell if I see a decent price drop. This is a practice of Royals that even though you may have initially booked 6 months out, once that change you make, regardless if you are seeking a drop or upselling and paying more, and that change is now within 6 months of sailing, it is that policy regarding discounts amounts that will now apply.

Wow this just happened to me too. I upgraded to a JS from a balcony cabin. They honored the residency deduction but you are correct, because I was after the 6 month window they lowered my Diamond Plus balcony discount. The RCI rep told me he thought it was unfair too. I don't understand why they are doing that especially if you made the original reservation more than 6 months ago. It stinks but at least it's only $25, it could be worse. :cool:

They can, and I can kind of see them doing it for a price drop, but they tried to do it to us when we upgraded and paid significantly more for our cabin in December. That was annoying. The C&A rep was more annoyed than I was and reversed it, but I think that it's ridiculous to penalize somebody for paying more.

Forgot to mention, the JS was a price drop but that's why I booked it. It was only increasing my fare for about $200 and that's why I upgraded to a JS. It didn't matter, RCI still deducted the $25 off of my Diamond Plus balcony reduction. It stinks, maybe if enough good customers continue to complain about it, they could change it back. Fingers crossed! ;)

Forgot to mention, the JS was a price drop but that's why I booked it. It was only increasing my fare for about $200 and that's why I upgraded to a JS. It didn't matter, RCI still deducted the $25 off of my Diamond Plus balcony reduction. It stinks, maybe if enough good customers continue to complain about it, they could change it back. Fingers crossed! ;)

In the last 6mo or so, Royal seems to be concentrating on making changes that are high on the annoyance scale.

Bob I think you are very correct. Maybe they are getting to big for their britches...lol. :p

And too comfortable with their place in the cruiseline industry..and forgetting how they got there :rolleyes:

Bob I think you are very correct. Maybe they are getting to big for their britches...lol. :p

And too comfortable with their place in the cruiseline industry..and forgetting how they got there :rolleyes:

Wish there was a "Like" button!

I wholeheartedly agree with both statements!

I heard about this a while back. I agree, you made the booking more than 6 mo in advance, but they can make (and change) the rules whatever they want.

I agree that they can and do change the rules anytime, but these kinds of changes that affect long term customers seem a bit silly to me. The $25 is not that big of a deal, but it's annoying. By the way, the Crown and Anchor rep who helped me was extremely nice and very apologetic about the situation.

I understand the frustration of having a balcony discount lowered within 6 months if you are getting a price reduction. However, that $25 is peanuts compared to the amount of "additional" $$$ off you are getting from your price reduction and you are still getting your balcony discount. Am I missing something here??:o

Edited by cruisenfever

I understand the frustration of having a balcony discount lowered within 6 months if you are getting a price reduction. However, that $25 is peanuts compared to the amount of "additional" $$$ off you are getting from your price reduction and you are still getting your balcony discount. Am I missing something here??:o

Yes.

Why should your balcony discount be reduced just because the price dropped or especially if you UPGRADE YOURSELF AND PAY MORE?

Making a change in a reservation that has been in place for a year should NOT result in losing part of your balcony discount!

JMO, of course.

YMMV

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

I stated my opinion on another thread, but IMHO RCL is making changes based on marketing folks back in corporate that have no clue what is actually going on out in the "real world". We had a high level marketing rep give a presentation on the Legend Panama Canal cruise (which was a disaster) and when she opened herself up to questions(big mistake) it was obvious she thought all of the slick new WOW ads would bring in so much business they would be filling every ship. She did not know about the recent changes to pricing for solos, and now this issue of reducing a balcony discount if the reservation is changed, even for an increase. RCL also does not seem to be reading or responding to comment cards anymore. You used to get a call from RCL if you had negative comments for further info. Even comments from high tier C&A are not being acknowledged.

Has any one else noticed the increase in negative member reviews on cruise critic?? The common thread seems to be drop in service and worse food. Seems as if RCL has made cuts in personnel and substituted lower quality food. I guess they think building new ships is more important.

I wonder how long it will take them to realize their WOW ads are not offsetting the numbers of former 'Loyal to Royal" cruisers who are no longer booking with RCL, or any cruise line. I can now get much better value on land tours and even European river cruises.

So I was thinking about this 'problem' with the C&A Balcony discounts being reduced when taking advantage of a price drop within 6 months of the cruise date. I think that they could have done this in a way as not to upset the C&A members and increase the revenue (if that is truly their goal). Like lets say... don't reduce the C&A discount regardless of the date that someone makes a change; however, charge EVERYONE a $20 change fee IF the change requested results in a price drop of more than $20. OR... maybe charge a $20 change fee to everyone who takes advantage of a price drop (if the cost goes down - not if it goes up or if they can upsell you), and only a $10 change fee (or waive the change fee) if you are a C&A member.

Even charging a lower amount per change for a price drop, they would make a whole lot more money by implementing a policy that effects everyone making a change that reduces their rate, they would be encouraging the upsell idea to increase revenues that way, and it wouldn't be as annoying to C&A members. If they did it this way, they would even be able to add it to the list of C&A member benefits... not a thoroughly well-baked idea, just an idea that I thought I'd throw out there to stir the pot...

Edited by SnappyNappi

Yes.

Why should your balcony discount be reduced just because the price dropped or especially if you UPGRADE YOURSELF AND PAY MORE?

Making a change in a reservation that has been in place for a year should NOT result in losing part of your balcony discount!

JMO, of course.

YMMV

:)

I think what everyone seems to be missing is that when you take advantage of a price drop you are actually canceling the previous reservation and rebooking the cruise. So if you book within 6 months the discount is $25 less. That is why we can only do this before final payment when the price is 100% refundable. It's really a big plus to be able to do this. Consider this, when you book a year out you usually get a prime location cabin. You take those cabins out of the inventory. They could easily say that you can cancel and book based on what cabins are available and re-enter your "prime" cabin back into inventory, then you would run the risk of losing it. But they don't. They simply reduce the amount due. Consider grabbing a center hump balcony on Oasis with the much larger balcony. Then having to place it back into inventory to rebook for the lower price. Honestly, I don't think I want to see a bunch of complaints over a $25 reduction in discounts. It could end up with them making you have to cancel and rebook.

Just my opinion.

I think what everyone seems to be missing is that when you take advantage of a price drop you are actually canceling the previous reservation and rebooking the cruise. So if you book within 6 months the discount is $25 less.

I don't think that is accurate. If you're keeping the same reservation number it's a change to the booking, not a cancellation and rebook. They are conceptually different and (I believe) different processes in the booking system.

Yes.

I guess they could re-word it and say the discount effective date is at the days remaining when applied.

Your discount won't reduce if you take the original price. However, if you get a new deal then the discount applies to that new deal, rather than the original booking date.

I don't think that is accurate. If you're keeping the same reservation number it's a change to the booking, not a cancellation and rebook. They are conceptually different and (I believe) different processes in the booking system.

You are absolutely correct. Getting a price reduction not considered a new reservation. Everything about the reservation stays the same other than the price. If Royal considered this a new booking, you would be able to take advantage of current special offers, like beverage packages etc, but these benefits only apply to "new" bookings as stated in all the offers. I'm not really complaining about $25 as some posters have said, but rather the continual reduction of benefits for long time loyal customers. I realize it is a business and they are looking at the bottom line, but most of these changes to policy seem to be more to the disadvantage of those who have been the most loyal and management doesn't appear to care.

We paid an extra $500 to upgrade and still got poked in the eye with a reduction in the balcony discount.

I think what everyone seems to be missing is that when you take advantage of a price drop you are actually canceling the previous reservation and rebooking the cruise. So if you book within 6 months the discount is $25 less. That is why we can only do this before final payment when the price is 100% refundable. It's really a big plus to be able to do this. Consider this, when you book a year out you usually get a prime location cabin. You take those cabins out of the inventory. They could easily say that you can cancel and book based on what cabins are available and re-enter your "prime" cabin back into inventory, then you would run the risk of losing it. But they don't. They simply reduce the amount due. Consider grabbing a center hump balcony on Oasis with the much larger balcony. Then having to place it back into inventory to rebook for the lower price. Honestly, I don't think I want to see a bunch of complaints over a $25 reduction in discounts. It could end up with them making you have to cancel and rebook.

Just my opinion.

This isn't about price drops - it's about any re-faring on a reservation. If I book an OV and then within 6 months of the cruise decide that I want to upgrade to the Royal Suite, RCI will take my extra $5000 in cruise fare and then poke me in the eye by taking $25 off the discount. I don't see that as a sound business practice.

Just my opinion.

I agree fully with this statement. I understand they work it differently in the computer and you keep the same booking number, etc. But the point is RCI does not have to do it this way. They simply do because it's more convenient for the guests. They could just as easily say no re-pricing of cruises. If you find a lower price and wish to book it then you can cancel your existing cruise and book the new rate. How many complaints would they receive if they did this? The point is they can. You are taking advantage of current prices on a prime location cabin that you booked earlier. I see no reason that the perks you get should not directly collaborate with the time of when you are receiving the price. Book early at the early rate, get the greater C&A discounts. Re-price within 6 months of cruise at the current price receive the appropriate C&A discounts for that time frame. This holds true when upgrading also. You are taking advantage of current market prices then your applicable discount should also apply to the current time to collaborate with prices. I know I'm in the minority here but I am sorry I think you are all making way to much out of this.