Bathrooms on Excursions

alwaysfrantic

Does HAL have it down that usually, women are going to want to have a restroom area during excursions? Specifically, I have several reserved that are catamarans to beaches and snorkeling. I could ask the same question on each designation, but that would be silly if the ladies can report on the facilities as a whole on trips HAL promotes.

Do they usually have bathrooms available?

Does HAL have it down that usually, women are going to want to have a restroom area during excursions? Specifically, I have several reserved that are catamarans to beaches and snorkeling. I could ask the same question on each designation, but that would be silly if the ladies can report on the facilities as a whole on trips HAL promotes.

The boats that I have been on for snorkeling and diving excurisons have all had bathrooms (basic ship bathrooms).

This has NOTHING to do with an ANSWER but it's a story I tell because I -well- I know where EVERY Bathroom is; TRUST me; [ Then you understand]

We were in Croatia once - walking around the old walled city of Dubrovinic - an ancient city if there ever was one - and I started looking for the bathrooms -AND there was a Public site- with a LONG line of fellow travelers. I told my husband "I can't wait THAT long " so we headed for a near-by restaurant. We asked the head waitor shame-faced -but he showed us the door to the restaurant bathroom; I went in and it was one of the MOST beautiful bathrooms /restaurant -I have ever seen- ALL marble from tables/sinks to toilet etc - a huge ELEGANT room.

I never think of that ancient city without shaking my head-in amazement!!!!!! ;)

Your username goes well with the thread subject! :-)

igraf

No, not always. I was on an excursion in Samana that involved a boat ride and cave hikes. 4.5 hours. No restrooms anywhere. If you are consdering an excursion - and it's not clear where they might be restroom stops - call HAL and ask them to ask the operator.

Only had trouble finding a bathroom once.... on Easter Island. My friend really had to find one... and when we made her distress known to the guide, she took us to the private home of a relative!!!! That is the only time we had have had trouble.

Susan

This has NOTHING to do with an ANSWER but it's a story I tell because I -well- I know where EVERY Bathroom is; TRUST me; [ Then you understand]

We were in Croatia once - walking around the old walled city of Dubrovinic - an ancient city if there ever was one - and I started looking for the bathrooms -AND there was a Public site- with a LONG line of fellow travelers. I told my husband "I can't wait THAT long " so we headed for a near-by restaurant. We asked the head waitor shame-faced -but he showed us the door to the restaurant bathroom; I went in and it was one of the MOST beautiful bathrooms /restaurant -I have ever seen- ALL marble from tables/sinks to toilet etc - a huge ELEGANT room.

I never think of that ancient city without shaking my head-in amazement!!!!!! ;)

We should have followed you that day. I lined up for the Public one, which turned out to be a gleaming brand new stainless steel unit with a hole in the floor.

I think we were separated at birth. I'm used to drinking a lot of water every day (usually about 3 litres) so I need to go a lot. It's really hard to cut down when you are used to drinking that much.

Good question OP.

I usually go to the Princess website to see if they have a similar shorex to a HAL shorex I am interested in. They have very detailed descriptions of their shorex tours, with sizes of buses/vans, time at sites, shopping (ugh) AND bathroom availability. Unless it is a very unique tour, most shorex are the same for different major cruise lines.

I mostly cruise HAL, but the Princess shorex info is available without having to book one of their cruises (so far!).

Penny

You have brought up my Reason #112 why DW and I prefer to rent cars instead of taking tour buses. When she wants a bathroom I just stop at a café, restaurant, or road stop.

Hank

My DH will go before we leave the house.

We get to grocery store 10 minutes later -- get a cart -- and guess who has to run to the restroom?? Not me.

And I bet that is only place you didn't have to pay to get into the restroom and pay for the toilet paper.

Years ago everywhere we went in Europe -- I got to carrying our own toilet paper and had to pay the "attendant" to use the facilities.

And I bet that is only place you didn't have to pay to get into the restroom and pay for the toilet paper.

Years ago everywhere we went in Europe -- I got to carrying our own toilet paper and had to pay the "attendant" to use the facilities.

My father was stationed in Germany for two years in the fifties and I still remember that all the public restrooms had either a roll of waxed paper or some sort of very rough primitive paper. Like sandpaper. I preferred the waxed paper.

My father was stationed in Germany for two years in the fifties and I still remember that all the public restrooms had either a roll of waxed paper or some sort of very rough primitive paper. Like sandpaper. I preferred the waxed paper.

And in England at the British Museum it was stamped "property of HM gov". I was nearly afraid to use it. After WWII for many years when we went to visit relatives in England we took TP as a gift. And it was much appreciated.

Susan

All excursions have some type of bathroom facilities available somewhere. They may not be luxurious, but they serve the purpose.

Not true. No restrooms ANYWHERE on our Samana excursion. One woman was so upset that she jumped off the excursion boat in hysterics and a ship's officer excorted her quickly to the nearest facility.

I usually go to the Princess website to see if they have a similar shorex to a HAL shorex I am interested in. They have very detailed descriptions of their shorex tours, with sizes of buses/vans, time at sites, shopping (ugh) AND bathroom availability. Unless it is a very unique tour, most shorex are the same for different major cruise lines.

I mostly cruise HAL, but the Princess shorex info is available without having to book one of their cruises (so far!).

Penny

I've never noticed that before. I'll have to look closer.

Penny

Good information, thanks.

I can only talk about our experiences. There have always been toilets available on our excursions. the range is quite wide, as noted in other posts--a ceramic hole in the ground, to 'pay to use' marginal western toilets to quite nice. This has happened enough that DH says we aren't going on any more cruises that don't have western toilets, readily available (with seats, not like in Mexico!!). We are thinking of a cruise to/around Australia and I posted on that board to see what we should expect. I got a number of replies that gave me web sites that describe toilets and rate them!! Who knew :D

Personally, I completely get this question and think its a good one.

JMO

ML

Penny

Thanks for the info :)

IWe are thinking of a cruise to/around Australia and I posted on that board to see what we should expect. I got a number of replies that gave me web sites that describe toilets and rate them!! Who knew :D

A link to some of those websites would be a Godsend. Do you still have them to post for the rest of us?

A thousand "thank you's" if you do.

All excursions have some type of bathroom facilities available somewhere. They may not be luxurious, but they serve the purpose.

Even when bathrooms are available 'somewhere', it is the 'somewhere' that is a problem. There are 4-5 hour bus trips before a bathroom stop. There are boat trips on small boats with no access to bathroom until final destination. For many people on BP meds, that is too long just as it is too long for many of us older women.