Rccl lost my bag - got no help

Canam778

My MIL by accident left her Nintendo DS on board last March on Oasis. She placed it on her purse, on the bed, disembarkation morning. It had slipped off the top of her purse and fallen between the dresser and the bed, which we found out later on. We didn't find out until 3 days later that she had lost it, as she was afraid of what her HD would say.

We immediately contacted the concereige, as we were in a suite, by email. She contacted our cabin stewards to see if it had been found. 30 minutes later we had a email back stating it had been found. The concierge left it guest services with our names on it with all contact information for when it arrived at corporate lost and found. Oasis still had to from it's current sailing, and the DS then had to be off loaded and head to lost and found in Miami.

So the following week we contacted lost and found and had to describe the lost object to them to find. That took close to a week, even though it was packaged with OUR names on it, address and phone number. Another week later the called us saying they found it and needed shipping info and payment for shipping. The whole process took almost a month to get it home to Canada as shipping was close to another week.

Lost and found does not work immediately, and that is lucky if they find the lost or forgotten item. My MIL is happy her DH never learned about this. She is also going to be careful in March when we sail again that this doesn't happen to her again.

OP, If you have not already done so get new meds and use your old glasses. You better hope that your forgotten bag is found. If it is hopefully it gets back to you quicker than ours. I am certain you just like my MIL will go a more thorough room check to make certain you have all processions prior to your departure.

Edited by A&L_Ont

YOU forgot the wallet. While cleaning 1500 rooms with hundreds of employees in a matter of hours, they managed to locate and get it back to you within a couple hours, and you COMPLAINED!?!?!??!:rolleyes: Sounds like good customer service right there, I would have been grateful for them finding something important I'd been careless enough to leave behind. Would never occur to me to COMPLAIN about it........

Yet another example of an unwarranted complaint being rewarded.

Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Sorry for you loss ................ I hope your bag is located and returned.

My only quibble is with the title of the post: "rccl lost my bag".

Technically, you lost your bag, not rccl, when you left the bag in your cabin.

If it were me, I would be "totally disgusted" with myself rather than rccl.

I buy cheap snorkelling gear every cruise and leave them in the cabin, I just presume they are thrown in the trash?

You know, your post made me think! I have also left a few things behind that I didn't intend to pack home. (like a cheap straw hat, some "free gift" stuff, a blow-up beach toy or two, etc) But since I didn't set this stuff on top of the wastebasket, I wonder if the room steward had to jump through some kind of hoops to turn it in to Lost & Found. If we all do this, I imagine the stewards have quite a time on turn-around day with all the stuff we leave on purpose. I'm sure there's some kind of paperwork for every item they turn in.

Okay, I'm going to think about this next time and figure out a way to let the steward know I left stuff on purpose and don't need it to be sent to Lost & Found.

Sorry for your loss ................ I hope your bag is located and returned. If it were me, I would be "totally disgusted" with myself rather than rccl.

You got that right!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Sorry for you loss ................ I hope your bag is located and returned.

My only quibble is with the title of the post: "rccl lost my bag".

Technically, you lost your bag, not rccl, when you left the bag in your cabin.

If it were me, I would be "totally disgusted" with myself rather than rccl.

Omg, this is exactly what I was thinking and was trying to figure a way to post it nicely - good job - title of the thread was getting to me:)

And I am sure perhaps a staff member was walking around with my ipod unless they didnt clean under the bed side tables.

From memory it took around 2 weeks to get a response stating the ipod was not found.

But I still can only blame myself as i will never be 100% sure where I left the Ipod unless I re found it myself.

I believe many things left in a cabin end up in the trash if of no interest to the staff member! Who would have time to document each found item from each cabin while flat out preparing for the next guest? Then take the time to take it all to a lost property dept all while the next guest is pestering you for a nice clean cabin at 10am

A $1200 pair of prescription glasses would be seemingly worthless to a person who may not wear glasses as would medication of any sort they may be unfamiliar with. A wallet containing Dollars or jewellery would and therefore more likely to be handed into lost property.

I buy cheap snorkelling gear every cruise and leave them in the cabin, I just presume they are thrown in the trash?

My niece when she was 16, her iPod disappeared. She said it was stolen at school. About a year ago my sister was doing a thorough clean up of her bedroom and behind the desk was the "stolen" iPod.....

As for $1200 prescription eyeglasses I sure would like to know what those looked like!

As others have said, the thread is mistitled. The other person lost the bag. It would have been great if the bag had been found and returned but once lost all bets are off. And given the time frame it might still be recovered. With a ship coming and going if the bag was found there are going to be logistics involved that delay the return.

Edited by Charles4515

Wow I feel for your loss and agree that you deserve a better response than you seem to have had. A cruel person ( I am not that person ) might think that had you been wearing your eyeglasses you just might have seen that you had left something behind. This is a good example of why everyone should double check their cabins ( and bathrooms ) before leaving the ship. :eek:

I left my toiletry bag in the bathroom of my stateroom ..............My new $1200. eyeglasses was also in the bag..........

Things we can learn from this situation…

Never travel with a "large amount" of narcotics. (or any Rx) Just pack what you will need for the length of your cruise - no need to have a large surplus. If you had done this, you wouldn't have lost a "large amount" after your cruise - just one or two pills at most.

Something of value should be treated like something of value! If you spend $1200 for a pair of glasses, don't throw them in a toiletry bag in the bathroom. Wear them. Or keep them in a proper glasses case, mark the case with your name and contact info, and keep the glasses case in your purse or in your pocket. Or keep them in your carry-on bag. But don't put them in a bathroom bag.

I do understand how you feel! I have done stuff like this before. You are angry, but you're really angry at yourself for not packing your toiletry bag and bringing it home safely. Sometimes when we are angry at ourselves for doing something dumb, we tend to take it out on others. Being angry at RC and blaming them for not finding your bag in the bathroom is a good example of this. Blaming your room steward for stealing your prescription drugs is another example. You left the bag. You did not take it with you. It wasn't stolen, you just accidentally left it behind. Now you're mad because somebody didn't FIND it. Accidents happen...Forgive yourself!

And lastly, a Lost and Found department on a cruise ship probably does not operate nearly as efficiently as other operations on the ship. On a ship with 3000+ people, probably 500 or more items are left behind on any given cruise. I doubt if there are any full time Lost and Found staff. There are probably a number of people who have some part-time responsibility for the lost and found stuff. Turn-around day is the worst/hardest day of the week for everybody on the ship, and it's likely that the big boxes of lost and found stuff that are generated by a cruise are not the highest priority. That stuff may not even get unloaded until the end of the next cruise. So a week without a response might be understandable. Be patient - you may get your toiletry bag back, but it will likely take some time.

Judy

WELL SAID JUDY. Any plans on coming to Lafayette in 2014 for the Jr. League Christmas show.

Any plans on coming to Lafayette in 2014 for the Jr. League Christmas show.

Hi Rosie - we'd love to come back to Lafayette for the JL show, but the past couple of years our application has been rejected!:( We wondered if there is somebody else with pearls?? Don't know, but we'll try again for 2014. Maybe we'll get lucky this time and get to see you at the show!:)

Judy

Am I the only one who is wondering why the OP used a grinning icon and then stuck in some outrageous "details" like "narcotics" and "1200 glasses" in the post?

I bought the most expensive glasses I could figure out to buy before retiring (on their dime) and didn't come close to $1k.. would love to see a picture or link. I was also wondering what she considers a 'large amount' of narcotics and what the narcotic was. Carrying an amount over the max dosage for her times the numbers of days with maybe and extra days worth is asking for trouble.

Am I the only one who is wondering why the OP used a grinning icon and then stuck in some outrageous "details" like "narcotics" and "1200 glasses" in the post?

Wow - I hadn't noticed the grinning icon until you mentioned it! That's weird, given the content of the post. Creates a real disconnect, doesn't it?

I wonder if the OP was trying to use the EEK! icon and mixed them up.

Judy

Maybe because of the title of the post vs what actually happened."rccl lost my bag" vs "i left my crap behind and rccl is now stopping the cruising industry to find it"

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses to my post.

Yes, I made a mistake with the icon. Sorry.

Yes, I also eroded with the post title. I take full responsibility for the loss of my bag. I lost it, no doubt about it. I do wear contacts but can wear them for only a few hours a day. I have an eye condition and that is why my eyeglasses cost $1200. I was really stupid to take so many of my pain meds. Should have just taken enough to get me through the cruise.

However, RCCL does have a Lost and Found Department with a toll-free phone number. I have called this number 3 times this week and spoke to a representative. Each time I was told a supervisor would get back to me within 24 hours. After 9 days I have still yet to get a call back or e-mail. I would just like to just get some kind of response from Royal Caribbean.

We really enjoyed our cruise and can't understand why their customer service is non responsive. This is a very disturbing event for me.

We really enjoyed our cruise and can't understand why their customer service is non responsive. This is a very disturbing event for me.

You can try contacting the Post Cruise department through their webpage:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do?ref=postcmnt

I would suggest keeping it just to the facts and the lack of response so far!!

Yes, I also eroded with the post title. I take full responsibility for the loss of my bag. I lost it, no doubt about it. I do wear contacts but can wear them for only a few hours a day. I have an eye condition and that is why my eyeglasses cost $1200. I was really stupid to take so many of my pain meds. Should have just taken enough to get me through the cruise.

However, RCCL does have a Lost and Found Department with a toll-free phone number. I have called this number 3 times this week and spoke to a representative. Each time I was told a supervisor would get back to me within 24 hours. After 9 days I have still yet to get a call back or e-mail. I would just like to just get some kind of response from Royal Caribbean.

Possibly those who you talked to are waiting for a response from the ship. As far as a supervisor calling back, I would tell the representative that I want to talk to a supervisor now, not wait for a call back. I don't have any experience with Royal Caribbean on a matter like that but it has worked for me with companies usually.

One company I had a hard time with over the phone getting a reply about a defective item I posted about the issue on Twitter. That got a fast reply and a replacement of the item.

Edited by Charles4515

One cruise, I discovered at the airport that we were missing a small bag of our luggage.

I was positive that it was left in the pickup area of the terminal. I could picture it sitting there with the rest of our bags. Basically, although instructed to take it, one of my children ignored me. (surprise, surprise)

I called RC from the airport. They advised me, too, to contact Lost & Found. But I KNEW that it was just in the terminal. I was told that I was NOT allowed back in the terminal, as you were advised.

But I didn't let it sit there.

I kept talking and talking and talking to them, and they finally agreed to meet me at the door of the terminal.

I took a cab BACK to the port from FLL (people in line for cabs were VERY nice about letting me go to the front of the line when I explained the situation), told the cab driver to WAIT for me. I went to the door of the terminal, where I was again told that I could not come back in.

I insisted that I was told that someone from RC was supposed to meet me there and take me back in.

The security guard went inside, and brought back someone from RC, who listened to my description, went back inside, and indeed saw our bag sitting exactly where I had described, looking exactly as I had described.

I got my bag back, leaped into my waiting cab, and zoomed back to the airport, in plenty of time to make our plane.

Phew.

But it worked.

Just my story.

:)

Calm persistence frequently works. :)

Hi Rosie - we'd love to come back to Lafayette for the JL show, but the past couple of years our application has been rejected!:( We wondered if there is somebody else with pearls?? Don't know, but we'll try again for 2014. Maybe we'll get lucky this time and get to see you at the show!:)

Judy

We didn't go last year (2013) but two years ago there was another vendor selling pearls. I wish I remembered the name but can't. Start E-Mailing them now and see what they say.

our IT dept at the hospitals had a hotline/helpdesk.. you were given a call number when they opened a problem. guess what if you kept calling every hour your old number was deleted and you got a new number. so, the more you called just resulted in you going back to the end of the line.

our it dept at the hospitals had a hotline/helpdesk.. You were given a call number when they opened a problem. Guess what if you kept calling every hour your old number was deleted and you got a new number. So, the more you called just resulted in you going back to the end of the line.

*like*

My complaint was at the unorganized way in which they run lost and found.

Locating the wallet wasn't difficult, we had been off the ship 20 mins and it was in the safe in our stateroom.

I did not ask for anything.

I was appreciative for the compensation they did give me

And it was admitted by the people I spoke to that things should have been handled differently.

I could honestly care less about your opinion of me and my "worthiness" in what I received. I answered a question from the OP about a situation I knew something about.

I bet its very refreshing to know that you never make mistakes or forget things. Good for you!

For those of us who live in the real world, sometimes an example of how a company can and does make things better can be helpful.

Which was if I'm not mistaken the point of their post??

If it's been 9 days, the Lost and Found items from your cruise are probably in Miami at the Lost & Found headquarters by now, but they may have only just arrived a couple of days ago. They would also have some kind of logging in procedure after they receive the items from all the various ships, and that would take a little time. So the people there may just have no information for you yet.

And do I agree with you that Customer Service people should do what they say and say what they do, and somebody should have been back in touch with you. Even if the message was only "we don't know anything yet" they should have called you or emailed you back. I know you must feel very frustrated. I hope you'll get a call back soon and I really hope you get your bag back!

I lost a Tilley hat on a cruise a few years ago, and that really made me nuts. And to make matters worse, it was definitely stolen - I left it on my lounger on the pool deck while I made a quick trip to the restroom, and when I came back my towel and paperback were there, but my hat was gone. I was soooo PO'ed! I was pretty much a textbook case of somebody going through the grieving process. My poor DH was most affected. In my Denial phase I had him searching under every lounger on the pool deck in case a gust of wind had taken my Tilley. When I got to Guilt, I was morose over not wearing my hat to the bathroom. Then DH also suffered when I hit Blame and thought he should have waited until I got back from the restroom to go to the bar to get a drink. Come to think of it, he was probably on the receiving end of Anger too! He was very solicitous, waiting with me in a line at Guest Services to report it 'lost.' Then he comforted me for months while I fretted over not hearing any good news from the RC Lost & Found people. Finally I hit Acceptance and knew that somebody saw my hat, liked it, and picked it up. (And I thanked my most excellent husband for bearing with me and wished the the thief very bad luck in the casino, horrendous hangovers, disastrous excursions with tons of bug bites, and lots of seasickness on all cruises for eternity. I also wished them other misfortunes that probably should not be printed here.:o)

A Tilley is not cheap, and it's undoubtedly a very fine hat, but more importantly that hat had been halfway around the world with me and I had a sentimental attachment to it. When I bought that hat, I had to measure my head and send the measurement to Tilley, so it fit me perfectly. That hat had climbed the Great Wall and sailed the Yangtze river with me. It had been to Alaska and Hawaii, not to mention all around the Caribbean. It even had my name and contact info written on it in indelible ink on the ID tag in the crown and my business card was in the secret pocket in the crown. Of course I reported it "lost" on the ship but I never heard anything and never got it back. I grieved over that hat for awhile! I did replace it, though. My current Tilley has done a transatlantic and explored Europe with me (and it just got so sweaty in the Caribbean last week, it's currently in the laundry hamper.) So I'm warming up to it… One of these days I'll probably take it to China, but I don't think my knees can handle the Great Wall anymore!

Just a long story to let you know that there are no newly invented human emotions. Anybody who has lost something important knows how you feel, has been there before, and we all hope it will get better soon for you. You do have one advantage in that your name is on your prescription bottle, so hopefully that will help get your bag back to you. Good luck!

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I think it is the lack of customer service that annoys most people. When a company or a customer service agent says that they will call you back or email or otherwise contact you within in a certain amount of time.....it becomes very frustrating to the consumer, when they don't.

It doesn't take much time for a simple courtesy call, that they are still investigating. No one likes to make that sort of call, but it makes the customer happy, and it demonstrates that you are doing your job.

Totally off topic, but I purchased a gift card for a friend as a Christmas present. They went to use it, and there are NO funds on the card. I sent all the paperwork off to the "gift card research department" three weeks ago. The money is out of my account and I'd like to know where my $50 is. I have yet to hear a word from them.

When someone says they are going to call you back, they should call you back, darn it.

Edited by Coralc

Totally off topic, but I purchased a gift card for a friend as a Christmas present. They went to use it, and there are NO funds on the card. I sent all the paperwork off to the "gift card research department" three weeks ago. The money is out of my account and I'd like to know where my $50 is. I have yet to hear a word from them.

I agree they should call back if they say they are going too.

On the off topic topic, lots of times those gift cards are laying on the front of the counter or on a rack. Fraudsters copy down the numbers and check online to see if they are activated. Then they empty out he cards. The other fraud is cashiers who switch the cards when you are not paying attention, keeping the activated card and giving you an empty.

I agree they should call back if they say they are going too.

On the off topic topic, lots of times those gift cards are laying on the front of the counter or on a rack. Fraudsters copy down the numbers and check online to see if they are activated. Then they empty out he cards. The other fraud is cashiers who switch the cards when you are not paying attention, keeping the activated card and giving you an empty.

There is usually a code that has to be revealed by scratching off in order to redeem those gift cards. So, not sure how that scam could work. Your second one would, but I have bought many gift cards and never had a problem. The easy way to stop that is to compare the card number to the one on your receipt before you leave the counter. I can't imagine someone standing at a counter and writing down numbers without someone noticing.:confused:

Edited by BND