Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

I'm just curious. What would happen if you got sick with Noro like the day before the ship got back into it's home port and were still sick the next day. You couldn't really travel.

The cruise line is not going to put anyone who is in the early stages of noro into the crowd of people getting off the ship. They will make arrangements for those that are still very ill. Yes, they are going to have to disembark so that ship can be sanitized but the CDC is not going to let them put a violently ill person in a long customs line. Speaking of customs, if I remember correctly, the ship only made port in San Juan and St Thomas so they shouldn't need to go through customs.

I know someone said it earlier on this post but please don't assume that anyone not using the hand sanitizer is nasty. I have very sensitive hands and hand sanitizer makes it much worse. My kids just had some sort of stomach virus and my hands are broken out now from using the stuff. Painfully so! But I was trying my best to not get it by washing my hands thoroughly often and use hand sanitizer. You know as much as the kids wash their hands, they are still constantly touching their face and then touching something else like the remote! :eek: But anyway, those people you see who are not using the sanitizer may be in the same situation or worse.

All that being said, I will absolutely use the hand sanitizer and wash my hands thoroughly when we are on our cruise. I will just have to deal with the pain. :(

Anyone with Psoriasis .. would have a problem with the sanitizer as well..!

currently on the Explorer. everything is fine and RCCL is handling everything very well. We've seen the news(CNN) on the ship and they're blowing this up way beyond what it is. The staff has been wonderful, [almost] everyone seems satisfied with the compensation & this has been a terrific cruise. Nearly perfect weather, great food, met some great people and again, the staff has been wonderful.

I'm just curious. What would happen if you got sick with Noro like the day before the ship got back into it's home port and were still sick the next day. You couldn't really travel.

I read a post a couple of days ago from someone in England who was on the previous EOS cruise with her husband celebrating their honeymoon. All was o.k. until she got on the airplane to go home - she started vomiting and this went on for the entire flight. She was admitted to hospital on arrival where she stayed for 3 days. In her case, she made it off the ship but just barely.

I really feel for the people on this voyage. I imagine from early in the cruise, the cruise experience they were hoping for just could not be provided. I would hope with the 50% cash refund, and the OBC it would give me enough relief. Also the 50% credit towards another cruise hopefully can be used over a longer period than 12 months. Some people may not be able to take another vacation within a year.

If they give you a choice, avoid the Newark Gateway Hilton. Very run down. Anything in Manhattan would be better. Only good thing is that it is attached to Newark Penn Station, so if you are getting home by train it's very convenient.

Edited by Lizcourt

This is why we need layers and lawsuits to guard against corporations who are only concerned with the bottom line!

50% is a joke for what these people went through!

Hopefully RCL gets the message before lawsuits are needed to give them common sense! Those who didn't get sick were screwed too!

And by the way, if you get sick in a hospital, or wherever, they usually pick up 100% of the bill for any loses, and treatment, not 50%! As a stockholder in RCL, i'm ashamed of them!

It was just a week ago, that the Majesty of the Seas had an outbreak! 2 weeks, 2 ships, different ports, somethings wrong!

There are also reviewers who were on the Explorer the week before who've written that there were sick people, including crew the week before on the Explorer!

The cruise line is not going to put anyone who is in the early stages of noro into the crowd of people getting off the ship. They will make arrangements for those that are still very ill. Yes, they are going to have to disembark so that ship can be sanitized but the CDC is not going to let them put a violently ill person in a long customs line. Speaking of customs, if I remember correctly, the ship only made port in San Juan and St Thomas so they shouldn't need to go through customs.

I guess this is what I would hope would happen. I can't even imagine trying to deal with finding some place to stay, or packing, or transportation - and then there are the obvious safety concerns of spreading the sickness.

They left in a terrible snow storm.

1614264_10151912695381693_1029446914_o.jpg

That looks pretty awesome... good time to enjoy the hot tubs!

This is why we need layers and lawsuits to guard against corporations who are only concerned with the bottom line!

Hopefully RCL gets the message before lawsuits are needed to give them common sense! Those who didn't get sick were screwed too!

And by the way, if you get sick in a hospital, or wherever, they usually pick up 100% of the bill for any loses, and treatment, not 50%! As a stockholder in RCL, i'm ashamed of them!

It was just a week ago, that the Majesty of the Seas had an outbreak! 2 weeks, 2 ships, different ports, somethings wrong!

There are also reviewers who were on the Explorer the week before who've written that there were sick people, including crew the week before on the Explorer!

Isn't it 50% cash and 50% towards another cruise totaling 100%?

I've been sick on cruises before. It's awful and you cannot do anything nor do you want to. So now, I wash my hands before I get my food, I stay away from buffets where potentially nasty people grab thongs and I wash my hands again before I sit down to eat. I won't let it stop me from cruising but you really have to be careful in those types of tight quarters.

10 am position 1/28/2014 Exos.

Traveling North 345 degs, 21.5 kts. Calm seas

575 nm to Bayonne

550 nm easts of Ga SC state line at coast

ETA 26 hrs

N 31 59.613

W070 20.638

Fran, you are the best!

Just curious: Has life returned to some semblance of "normal" aboard the ship?

One report from RC says that the outbreak has been contained and that people who were sick earlier are better or getting better, and the whole thing is tapering off, in terms of how many are sick.

The Westin on Times Square sounds great! Go to the TKTS booth and grab some tickets for a Broadway show!

:)

Now that is a fascinating point! Good catch, mema!

(but still need to go through immigration control)

currently on the Explorer. everything is fine and RCCL is handling everything very well. We've seen the news(CNN) on the ship and they're blowing this up way beyond what it is. The staff has been wonderful, [almost] everyone seems satisfied with the compensation & this has been a terrific cruise. Nearly perfect weather, great food, met some great people and again, the staff has been wonderful.

Am I allowed to say..............I love you, toad455! ;) :D

Russian Bear, meet toad455!!!!!

Thanks for the update. In response to that poster who keeps asking why I think they were ordered home by the CDC well using common sense It just seems that to turn around 2 hours after the CDC boarded tells me that the decision was made upon consultation with the CDC However that just seems logical to me but who knows?

Rccl may have balked and been forced to return or may have simply asked the CDC for guidance with this decision. But that really doesn't matter as they did turn around one way or another

Fwiw the right decision was made IMHO

So what your saying is you think or it is your opinion that the CDC forced them to end the cruise and it wasn't RCCL's decision? You originally posted that the CDC DID order the ship back. I asked you this because I wanted the facts, not anyone's opinion because in the end the facts are what matters. Im sure you would agree. Does anyone know if it was the CDC who forced RCCL to end the cruise or was it RCCL's decision. Whats interesting about that is the ship was in US territory when the CDC boarded. If the CDC deemed it a cruise that had to end why not do it right there and send passengers home and clean the ship in either Puerto Rico or Saint Thomas?

So what your saying is you think or it is your opinion that the CDC forced them to end the cruise and it wasn't RCCL's decision? You originally posted that the CDC DID order the ship back. I asked you this because I wanted the facts, not anyone's opinion because in the end the facts are what matters. Im sure you would agree. Does anyone know if it was the CDC who forced RCCL to end the cruise or was it RCCL's decision. Whats interesting about that is the ship was in US territory when the CDC boarded. If the CDC deemed it a cruise that had to end why not do it right there and send passengers home and clean the ship in either Puerto Rico or Saint Thomas?

It makes much more sense to end the cruise and bring everyone back to Bayonne then putting 600 sick people on an island. Bringing them all back on the ship allowed everyone to have their own bathroom in their cabin. Can you imagine what the planes would be like with so many sick people trying to get to 4 bathrooms!:eek:

They are containing the sick on one ship and treating them so that when they get back to Bayonne, hopefully, most will be well enough to travel safely home. Are there still going to be some very sick people, absolutely, but I have confidence that the CDC and the cruise line will make sure these people are taken care of and can travel home as soon as they are able.

Doesn't say anything about the CDC ordering Royal to terminate the cruise:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/january21_explorer_seas.htm

The press release addresses who made the decisions.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1070/royal-caribbean-international-statement-regarding-explorer-of-the-seas/

The drop in new cases is encouraging. However, it is not unusual in an outbreak to still have smaller, secondary spikes. That is why, after discussions with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and our medical team, we decided the most prudent course for the health of our guests and crew was to bring the cruise home on Wednesday, two days earlier than planned.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread but what about the pre-paid parking fees that have already been paid - I wonder if people will be given information on refunds for that.

Pat

Just give then back $40 as they leave the gated parking lot, won't be hard to figure that out.

It makes much more sense to end the cruise and bring everyone back to Bayonne then putting 600 sick people on an island. Bringing them all back on the ship allowed everyone to have their own bathroom in their cabin. Can you imagine what the planes would be like with so many sick people trying to get to 4 bathrooms!:eek:

They are containing the sick on one ship and treating them so that when they get back to Bayonne, hopefully, most will be well enough to travel safely home. Are there still going to be some very sick people, absolutely, but I have confidence that the CDC and the cruise line will make sure these people are taken care of and can travel home as soon as they are able.

I totally agree with you. I was asking this because the OP stated the CDC ordered the cruise to end and I have not been able to find that information anywhere. Could have been CDC boarded to control the infection but RCCL made the decision to end the cruise so that they could clean the ship and sail again on the 31st...

Just wondering why some people think that this is Royal Caribbeans fault? These viruses spread through schools, workplaces etc...?? It is due to media and instant messaging that this gets blown out of proportion. Also wonder why they have to refund an amount equal to the total amount of the cruise (50% of this cruise & 50% of future cruise), besides it being a good business decision???

Thank you very much, you have answered my question. I asked this question because people were posting that the CDC ordered the ship to "abort" the cruise. I believe this is a forum for sharing and yes, debating too but when people start making stuff up, post it as a fact with no basis other than it is in their opinion or they "think" things get blown right out of proportion. Were entitled to share our opinions but please, if it is your opinion and not a fact, it would be helpful if you start your remarks with "In my opinion" or "I think"

Sounds like in this case it was a joint effort between the CDC's expertise in controlling the virus and RCCL, one that they both thought was in the best interest of the passengers and crew as well as the people in the port of arrival.

Another post states the ship will arrive in the wee hours of the morning to avoid the press when according to those on board it will arrive by 4 PM tomorrow, and they think maybe as early as noon. Its still light in NJ at those times and Im sure there will be plenty of press there even if people are debarking after dark, there is plenty of light and you can count on the press to bring their own. Just saying....

Very good points. Now this inquiring mind would like to ask a few hypothetical questions if I may:

1. Could the NJ port actually refuse to let the ship dock and disembark due to this outbreak?

2. Could the ship be ordered to drop anchor in the harbor or further out and basically quarantine themselves until the CDC or whomever clears the ship of illness?

3. If 1 or 2 above do not happen, could violently ill pax be forced off?

4. If a violently ill pax cannot leave their cabin, what will rccl do? call an ambulance?

5. Can well pax be forced to stay aboard until the ship is cleared if it is quarantined? After all they did not expect to disembark until Friday anyway. Just sayin'

6. If #5 does occur are those well pax actually being put in harms way?

7. Will customs even clear these pax? Did they reach a foreign port? Isn't St Thomas part of the US Virgin Islands? I am not sure but did they go elsewhere out of the US before this cruise was de facto cancelled? I am asking this to find out if customs will even be required.

8. with regard to #7 above, will ill pax even be allowed to disembark? My thoughts are going to the medical quarantine facilities at Ellis Island. Great museum BTW and I am not sure if it has reopened after Superstorm Sandy damage.

I have more questions but at the moment can't think of what I wanted to post, however, any thoughts on the above?

It is just food for thought what I have asked above, but also known as "fodder" for intelligent debate LOL

oh and IMHO....FULL REFUND

I would be interested in others thoughts on the above very interesting questions

Thanks Maggie for your post

Just wondering why some people think that this is Royal Caribbeans fault? These viruses spread through schools, workplaces etc...?? It is due to media and instant messaging that this gets blown out of proportion. Also wonder why they have to refund an amount equal to the total amount of the cruise (50% of this cruise & 50% of future cruise), besides it being a good business decision???

It is not Royal Caribbeans fault. And I do think 50% off their cruise and 50% off another is more than fair.