Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Have 'we' heard anything from the current cruisers? Maybe no news is good news and they've got things under control now?

I was searching for threads to see if anyone on the current cruise had posted. But no one seems to have come back with any news. Like you said maybe no news is good news. Keeping my fingers crossed they had a healthy happy cruise!

I was searching for threads to see if anyone on the current cruise had posted. But no one seems to have come back with any news. Like you said maybe no news is good news. Keeping my fingers crossed they had a healthy happy cruise!

I was on the 1/21 sick cruise with 6 other friends that did a b2b and are on this current 1/31 sailing and they have said things are great and no more outbreaks of noro.:)

I was on the 1/21 sick cruise with 6 other friends that did a b2b and are on this current 1/31 sailing and they have said things are great and no more outbreaks of noro.:)

That's great news. Some CC friends are on that cruise too. I hope someone comes back and writes a report to let is know how the cruise was.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like NY/NJ is a winter break for Noro! :(

http://news.msn.com/us/ny-resort-closing-for-a-week-after-virus-outbreak

Missing from the discussion of the origin of noro has the condition of planes- they are so dirty these days. On recent flights I have encountered tray tables with dirt encrusted in the cup holder and soap dispensers that are filthy. And we wno't even consider seat back pockets! And they are taking out lavs to add a few extra seats, so more people are using each one. So if some throws up or such on the plane lots of people can be infected, taking the lovely buggers with them to where they go! They get on the ship, or goto the resort buffet, and bingo, an epidemic. While this going on there I got put up at a resort hotel due to a cancelled flight that has been having a GI virus outbreak, and they appeared to be doing little to improve sanitation. Thankfully I didn't like the buffet offerings and ate outside the resort, found out about the outbreak when I looked at resort reviews onTA out of curiosity.

I agree about the airplanes. If the airlines would step up and sanitize, maybe they could help prevent the spread of this virus and others. I always carry Clorox wipes and wipe down all surfaces around me. I am amazed to see the stares from people when I do this, while other passengers do nothing.

Edited by Iamthesea

Wonderful news! Kudos to the staff & their deep clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mom.to.2

I agree about the airplanes. If the airlines would step up and sanitize, maybe they could help prevent the spread of this virus and others. I always carry Clorox wipes and wipe down all surfaces around me. I am amazed to see the stares from people when I do this, while other passengers do nothing.

I think flying is worse than cruise ships for catching "bugs". The last few times I have flown, I've come home with a cold or some sort of bug. I have learned to try NOT to use the restrooms on board for the duration of the flight. I carry Lysol or Clorox wipes also to wipe down the seat rests/buttons and tray tables. Hey let them look at least I'm not touching dirty surfaces. LOL

Unfortunately, sometimes the other people on the flight are ill and there's no way around getting sick. I used to love to fly, nowadays not as much. This is a tough time of year for sickness. Stay well everyone!

Edited by Annefran

It is a tough sickness season. This year especially! The spread of infection in the NY resort (that I linked to above) is evident enough. Very sad to be on any type of vacation and have that happen. :(

Yeah, the Catskills resort will be closed for a week to sanitize the entire resort.

I believe our group of 4 met up with you and your wife at the Champagne Bar waiting to debark the ship. Glad to hear you are having fun on an uneventful cruise.

Just got back from Explorer. Crew did awesome job of cleaning the ship prior to our arrival. No outbreaks that we were made aware of. After the first few days of being served at Windjammer, we were able to serve ourselves. I was told CDC gave the ship a clean bill of health. Crew was very friendly as well

I too just got back from the 1/31 Explorer sailing and NO illness issues to report. The crew was diligently making sure everyone was sanitizing their hands and the ship appeared to be spotless in every respect. I did not observe any ill passengers, nor did hubby or I come down with anything.

For the first 3 days of the cruise passengers were not allowed to serve themselves anything....the crew served EVERY SINGLE THING, even salt and pepper. After the third day, they let the passengers go back to serving themselves in the Windjammer, but the staff remained diligent at restaurant entrances with squirting sanitizer on everyone's hands and yelling "washy washy!" There was one staff person in the Windjammer who was so manic with his "washy washy" routine that it was like a running comedy show and he seemed to delight in being "washy washy man". We saw him in the main dining room in the evening and the other waiters referred to him as "Washy Washy". He was even pointed out at the farewell show and seemed to have quite a following. Too funny.

I too just got back from the 1/31 Explorer sailing and NO illness issues to report. The crew was diligently making sure everyone was sanitizing their hands and the ship appeared to be spotless in every respect. I did not observe any ill passengers, nor did hubby or I come down with anything.

For the first 3 days of the cruise passengers were not allowed to serve themselves anything....the crew served EVERY SINGLE THING, even salt and pepper. After the third day, they let the passengers go back to serving themselves in the Windjammer, but the staff remained diligent at restaurant entrances with squirting sanitizer on everyone's hands and yelling "washy washy!" There was one staff person in the Windjammer who was so manic with his "washy washy" routine that it was like a running comedy show and he seemed to delight in being "washy washy man". We saw him in the main dining room in the evening and the other waiters referred to him as "Washy Washy". He was even pointed out at the farewell show and seemed to have quite a following. Too funny.

The "washywashy" guy has been there on EX a long time. This is nothing new. We've seen him on a couple of EX cruises. Drives me crazy though because the hand sanitizer does nothing to noro and it's slimey.

No double points, just got the 10 points for the this cruise

I spoke with C and A today. We will be getting double points as soon as the I T people input for all the passengers. I was told it would take some time to do it but it definitely will be done. We were on the 1/21 and 1/31 cruises and have absolutely no complaints. With the exception of guest relations who did not follow through with things, all the staff were more than helpful and pleasant. I had to stand on line for almost an hour three times to get an answer as to what the b to b people were to do on the 1/21/14 sailing.