Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

In my opinion it was a passenger/s who didn't fill out their questionnaire honestly at the pier and they didn't show symptoms or they didn't honestly know when they boarded. If they did know they said I have waited too long for this and I am going sick or not. That started the domino effect and the old adage from the old Pantene commercial, then they told two friends, and then they told two friends and so on and so on and so on.

It does not take long for a cruise ship to get infected. Just my opinion.

Smitty

Hi all,

Just waking up in the hotel this morning on our way back. I believe we may have been the last passengers off the ship. No media in site. :)

RCL covered a hotel for us as part of the compensation package so we stopped here last night.

All 5 of us got sick. The acute stage was over after 36 hours. But tiredness and lack of appetite lingered for a few days after.

Will post some more when we get home.

IC

How is 10% a small outbreak, That's alot! One out of every 10 people you see on the cruise is sick? & days to go on the cruise, what happens if even more get sick? which is very much likely to happen isn't it?

Could the reason be they are skipping the stop in Labadee is because that don't want the Noro to spread to the island when other ships from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fleet would catch it too?

Jimbo:)

JIMBO? Are you the same Jimbo that has been on here FOREVER? Are you from NJ?

Posted January 20 on a thread about the Disney Dream

So noro was definitely on board. I've never heard of Disney noro on the news as much as you do Royal, Carnival, NCL. But with the number of folks in Medical plus the doctors reaction, it was in full force. I wonder what the number is. BTW, there was no charge for the medical service we received due to the diagnosis.

My son got noro on the Disney Dream a couple of years ago. We were on a B2B, and he showed the symptoms on the second leg of the trip. We heard after we got home that others on the ship had it, as well. I think the cruiselines only have to report it if a certain number of passengers have the virus, and depending on how many go to medical to actually report it....

My son got noro on the Disney Dream a couple of years ago. We were on a B2B, and he showed the symptoms on the second leg of the trip. We heard after we got home that others on the ship had it, as well. I think the cruiselines only have to report it if a certain number of passengers have the virus, and depending on how many go to medical to actually report it....

I believe its 2% of reported cases.

But Disney has only 4 ships. Carnival has about 25, RCCL 24 and NCL 14 (all just a guess) The law of averages.

Also, maybe the age of the passengers has something to do with it.. I notice Celebrity had a few year and Celebrity tends to have older passengers The elderly are more immune compromised.

Hi all,

Just waking up in the hotel this morning on our way back. I believe we may have been the last passengers off the ship. No media in site. :)

RCL covered a hotel for us as part of the compensation package so we stopped here last night.

All 5 of us got sick. The acute stage was over after 36 hours. But tiredness and lack of appetite lingered for a few days after.

Will post some more when we get home.

IC

YIKES! Does Noro usually...or can it...last that long? Anyone know?

If the antibacterial cannot really kill it then why would they think the bathroom soap would?

Washing does not kill it.

What 30 seconds of washing using hot enough water does is remove it and send it down the drain.

Purrell does not kill it either, but may cause some of it to leave your hands and go into the air or onto some nearby surface (including your clothes).

Now that's interesting...they recycle the ship water, right?

And don't forget it's seasonal, peak is in January. Very rare after April.

Dr. D Thanks a lot. I am greatful to have a Doctor on this thread, I feel like we get the right information from you...

Do you know of any hand cleaner that helps in between hand washing?

It is somewhat interesting that Disney has had only one outbreak of Noro (as indicated on the CDC website) in the 15+ years they have had cruise ships. Granted they don't have nearly as many ships, but that's still pretty impressive.

Maybe it's because Disney doesn't use Purell, they have wet napkins as I am reading more and more people are against Purell so maybe more people willing to use those than Purell.

If antibacterial solution is not good for viruses and such, why do most Dr. offices, hospitals, stores etc. have them all over the place? They have to be better than nothing. Especially if you are no where around a sink with soap and water. And why have antibacterial soap in the dispensers? Why not have a solution that covers both bacteria and viruses. Surely there must be something like that. :confused:

Why do ships have the purell stations at all if they don't help with viruses? I would think there are more virus illnesses on a ship.

Can someone try to explain.......please.

And as I said on one of the threads when this first happened, I think this was some sort of food poisoning to begin with. JMO

Gwen :)

Here is the letter regarding the refund. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391109589.741860.jpg.94d887f02df562febccbe7734b82b438.jpg

Sorry the image isn't really clear.

Basically says: The compensation package is made up of two components, a 50% refund (less the credit already received onboard) and a 50% FCC.

Edited by GnRTravel

You're kidding, right?

Judy

Nope, just looked it up....

After desalination, the water is passed through a mineralization plant, which adds minerals. This is necessary because the healthy minerals naturally found in drinking water have been removed by desalination. At this stage, the water is also checked for impurities, sanitized, and the pH is corrected. The water is then sent to massive storage tanks on board the cruise ship. On the Grand Princess, for example, these storage tanks hold up to 500,000 gallons of fresh water.

Next, the water is routed to hot and cold systems. Miles of distribution pipe move the water around the cruise ship.

After the water is delivered through a sink or shower, and used by cruise ship passengers or crew, it must be treated again before it can be discharged

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1781431

If antibacterial solution is not good for viruses and such, why do most Dr. offices, hospitals, stores etc. have them all over the place? They have to be better than nothing. Especially if you are no where around a sink with soap and water. And why have antibacterial soap in the dispensers? Why not have a solution that covers both bacteria and viruses. Surely there must be something like that. :confused:

Why do ships have the purell stations at all if they don't help with viruses? I would think there are more virus illnesses on a ship.

Can someone try to explain.......please.

And as I said on one of the threads when this first happened, I think this was some sort of food poisoning to begin with. JMO

Gwen :)

There are viruses (like Noro), and there are bacterial infections. Antibacterial soaps are good against bacteria, but don't do much against viruses (other than the action of just washing your hands). So in a doctor's office, it's like, if there's something (antibacterial soaps) that can get rid of some of the threats (bacteria) but not all of them (viruses), then why not use it?

Same reasoning for using Purell on ships. It's better to prevent some threats (bacterial) than none.

Edited by time4u2go

Nope, just looked it up....

After desalination, the water is passed through a mineralization plant, which adds minerals. This is necessary because the healthy minerals naturally found in drinking water have been removed by desalination. At this stage, the water is also checked for impurities, sanitized, and the pH is corrected. The water is then sent to massive storage tanks on board the cruise ship. On the Grand Princess, for example, these storage tanks hold up to 500,000 gallons of fresh water.

Next, the water is routed to hot and cold systems. Miles of distribution pipe move the water around the cruise ship.

After the water is delivered through a sink or shower, and used by cruise ship passengers or crew, it must be treated again before it can be discharged

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1781431

Yes - that's how they handle sewage. Some of it is discharged back into the sea as 'gray water' after treatment. Other sewage is offloaded in port facilities.

But recycled sewage is not what comes out the faucets! Thats fresh water produced by the desalinization of sea water.

Your original post sounded as if you believed that tap water on the ship is recycled drain water (sewage), which it's not.

Judy