Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Nope, just looked it up....

After desalination, the water is passed through a mineralization plant, which adds minerals. This is necessary because the healthy minerals naturally found in drinking water have been removed by desalination. At this stage, the water is also checked for impurities, sanitized, and the pH is corrected. The water is then sent to massive storage tanks on board the cruise ship. On the Grand Princess, for example, these storage tanks hold up to 500,000 gallons of fresh water.

Next, the water is routed to hot and cold systems. Miles of distribution pipe move the water around the cruise ship.

After the water is delivered through a sink or shower, and used by cruise ship passengers or crew, it must be treated again before it can be discharged

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1781431

I never knew that...thanks for posting it.

If antibacterial solution is not good for viruses and such, why do most Dr. offices, hospitals, stores etc. have them all over the place? They have to be better than nothing. Especially if you are no where around a sink with soap and water. And why have antibacterial soap in the dispensers? Why not have a solution that covers both bacteria and viruses. Surely there must be something like that. :confused:

Why do ships have the purell stations at all if they don't help with viruses? I would think there are more virus illnesses on a ship.

Can someone try to explain.......please.

And as I said on one of the threads when this first happened, I think this was some sort of food poisoning to begin with. JMO

Gwen :)

I think the simple answer is these places have them to protect against bacteria but the CDC plainly states that these things should not take the place of proper hand washing.

Here is the letter regarding the refund. [ATTACH]300512[/ATTACH]

Sorry the image isn't really clear.

Basically says: The compensation package is made up of two components, a 50% refund (less the credit already received onboard) and a 50% FCC.

I can't really make out the image, but taking your word for what it says, that would seem to support what my husband heard (OBC is not in addition the refund, but deducted from it), too, and contradict what someone said RCCL PR was putting out last night. RCCL, please get your story straight so we can be sure what's going on!

If antibacterial solution is not good for viruses and such, why do most Dr. offices, hospitals, stores etc. have them all over the place? They have to be better than nothing. Especially if you are no where around a sink with soap and water. And why have antibacterial soap in the dispensers? Why not have a solution that covers both bacteria and viruses. Surely there must be something like that. :confused:

Why do ships have the purell stations at all if they don't help with viruses? I would think there are more virus illnesses on a ship.

For the same reason we are asked to take off our shoes and belts at the airport .

It's a show to prove they are doing something that might or might not have some benefit.

I am not saying some of the other measures (security at the airport or sanitation on the ship) have no benefit

BUT people need to see that those in charge are doing something - anything.

The real measures (security or health) are usually not so obvious.

Here is the letter regarding the refund. [ATTACH]300512[/ATTACH]

Sorry the image isn't really clear.

Basically says: The compensation package is made up of two components, a 50% refund (less the credit already received onboard) and a 50% FCC.

Trying again:

1538ruu.jpg

Trying again:

1538ruu.jpg

The sentence saying how long the credit to the credit card will take was cut off too.

I hope that they're refunds this time come quicker than the ones they had to issue after the fire last year.

Our friends had booked the presidential suite on one of the sailings that was cancelled and were owed more than $12K because they couldn't cruise on the alternate dates RCCL was offering them. It took WEEKS for them to get their money back. It wasn't a good situation...she won't even consider sailing with them again after what they put them through.

Edited by styles27

Yes - that's how they handle sewage. Some of it is discharged back into the sea as 'gray water' after treatment. Other sewage is offloaded in port facilities.

But recycled sewage is not what comes out the faucets! Thats fresh water produced by the desalinization of sea water.

Your original post sounded as if you believed that tap water on the ship is recycled drain water (sewage), which it's not.

Judy

I never said sewage...my question was directed to post that stated soap doesn't kill the virus and the the bacteria goes down the drain after washing it off the hands...and then it is recylced....however, it looks like the recyle process is pretty darn good

Thanks for the answers on the hand sanitizer. I guess I can sum it up as being a "false sense of security". I will continue to use them as I always have, just because they are there and I can..........:rolleyes:

Gwen :)

The companies that make this stuff are really reaping the benefits that's for sure.

I chuckled the first time I saw a Purell dispenser in our church up on the alter. I suppose it's a good idea for the Priest to use it before and after handing out communion.

We call it "Holy" Purell. lol

I know there's a lot of controversy over hand sanitizers, and I'm not an infection control expert, but I can tell you that in the hospital and clinic that's all we use, and the various regulatory bodies are fine with it, and our infection rates are very low. So they must do something.

I never said sewage...my question was directed to post that stated soap doesn't kill the virus and the the bacteria goes down the drain after washing it off the hands...and then it is recylced....however, it looks like the recyle process is pretty darn good

Regarding the use of antibacterial soap: Don't use it. Recent analyses of the health benefits of antibacterial soap don't show any evidence that triclosan (the active ingredient in antibacterial soap) can reduce the transmission of respiratory or gastrointestinal infections. This might be due to the fact that antibacterial soaps specifically target bacteria, but not the viruses that cause the majority of seasonal colds and flus. Use of them is now not recommended as they may be contributing to infections with superbugs that are very difficult to treat with our current antibiotics. They may have a use in medical situations but are not recommended for general use.

The number of people that do not wash their hands after using the bathroom is just amazing. Of the ones that do, very few do more than a two second spritz. My son says he sees the same thing in the men's room!

Edited by Carolyn R

Because they are effective against bacteria which can also make you sick.

I know there's a lot of controversy over hand sanitizers, and I'm not an infection control expert, but I can tell you that in the hospital and clinic that's all we use, and the various regulatory bodies are fine with it, and our infection rates are very low. So they must do something.

Agreed, same as in our hospital. We have sanitizers on every bed, washing station, outside and inside every room, and work station. My infection control expert told me once that the sanitizers were quite effective especially when working around computers.

Our regulatory bodies prefer the sanitizers unless protocol dictates otherwise. Our infection rates are also lower than the national average.

Hand sanitizers like purell and the ones at a hospital contain a high percentage of alcohol which is a good disinfectant against bacteria and viruses. Antibacterial soaps contain other ingredients which are not very effective and may cause problems in the body. The hand sanitizers at hospitals are actually preferred to hand washing unless your hands are visibly soiled. I'm a nurse and there has been research done about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

the last memo I saw at the hospital was that people could use the sanitizers

3 times before having to use real soap and water. remember using this stuff is for more then noro..

The sentence saying how long the credit to the credit card will take was cut off too.

I hope that they're refunds this time come quicker than the ones they had to issue after the fire last year.

Our friends had booked the presidential suite on one of the sailings that was cancelled and were owed more than $12K because they couldn't cruise on the alternate dates RCCL was offering them. It took WEEKS for them to get their money back. It wasn't a good situation...she won't even consider sailing with them again after what they put them through.

The letter seems pretty standard. When our Millennium cruise was cancelled for mechanical reasons, it took about 3.5 weeks for our refund, and another 2 months for our FCC to arrive. It is only good for sailings within a year of the issue date.:rolleyes: I think a hand full of the people who were on the ship when it broke down in Ketchikan are still trying to get completely reimbursed for their OOP expenses. I share all this because even though it was a Celebrity ship, all our communication and documentation was sent to and received from RCCL corporate.

Everybody who is now facing needing refunds, take good notes and make sure you save your receipts. Their policy is to refund to the credit card originally used for payment, so if you've closed an account since you booked this cruise, it will complicate things a little.

Regarding the use of antibacterial soap: Don't use it. Recent analyses of the health benefits of antibacterial soap don't show any evidence that triclosan (the active ingredient in antibacterial soap) can reduce the transmission of respiratory or gastrointestinal infections. This might be due to the fact that antibacterial soaps specifically target bacteria, but not the viruses that cause the majority of seasonal colds and flus. Use of them is now not recommended as they may be contributing to infections with superbugs that are very difficult to treat with our current antibiotics. They may have a use in medical situations but are not recommended for general use.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!! I've been on the no-Triclosan boat for years but sadly most people just accept things without researching them. Like bottled water instead of tap (in most places), the "benefits" of Airborne, etc....

The letter seems pretty standard. When our Millennium cruise was cancelled for mechanical reasons, it took about 3.5 weeks for our refund, and another 2 months for our FCC to arrive. It is only good for sailings within a year of the issue date.:rolleyes: I think a hand full of the people who were on the ship when it broke down in Ketchikan are still trying to get completely reimbursed for their OOP expenses. I share all this because even though it was a Celebrity ship, all our communication and documentation was sent to and received from RCCL corporate.

Everybody who is now facing needing refunds, take good notes and make sure you save your receipts. Their policy is to refund to the credit card originally used for payment, so if you've closed an account since you booked this cruise, it will complicate things a little.

It sounds like their policy is to try to wear you out and hope you will go away. Not nice.:mad:

I'm glad you persevered.