Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

Just wondering......if you share a cabin like with a spouse or family member, one of them comes down sick, do they quarantine everyone in that cabin or just the one who is sick? It would make sense to quarantine the whole cabin but would certainly not be much fun for the other to not be able to get out at all. Room service??

Of the antimicrobial hand sanitizers on the market, which ones are recommended by the hospital experts to help reduce bacterial and/or viruses from spreading?

Ones with more than 60% alcohol. I just read that Clorox hand sanitizing spray was shown to kill norovirus. It has 72% alcohol. You can buy it on amazon. You can't buy the stuff we use at our hospital unless you buy it from a medical supplier. They don't sell it at the store.

Ones with more than 60% alcohol. I just read that Clorox hand sanitizing spray was shown to kill norovirus. It has 72% alcohol. You can buy it on amazon. You can't buy the stuff we use at our hospital unless you buy it from a medical supplier. They don't sell it at the store.

The Clorox Hand santizing spray is sold at Staples.

Kills Germs

Clorox hand sanitizer is a great choice for medical institutions, childcare centers, senior centers, or any professional establishment where keeping germs to a minimum is imperative. This hand sanitizer uses a unique bleach-free formula that contains a full 71 percent ethyl alcohol, which is capable of killing more than 99.999 percent of germs on your hands in a mere 15 seconds.

Moisturizes

Although it contains ethyl alcohol, Clorox hand sanitizer won't leave you with dry, chapped, and irritated skin. The formula contains several premium emollients, including glycerol monolaurate and glycerin, to keep your hands in looking and feeling smooth.

Edited by TheMiz

I never said sewage...my question was directed to post that stated soap doesn't kill the virus and the the bacteria goes down the drain after washing it off the hands...and then it is recylced....however, it looks like the recyle process is pretty darn good

I guess I'm not understanding why you think the soap, water, dirt, germs, virus, and bacteria from hand washing that goes down the drain is recycled. Whatever goes down the drain becomes sewage since that's where the drain pipe goes.

Judy

Just wondering......if you share a cabin like with a spouse or family member, one of them comes down sick, do they quarantine everyone in that cabin or just the one who is sick? It would make sense to quarantine the whole cabin but would certainly not be much fun for the other to not be able to get out at all. Room service??

When I got the noro a few years ago, after I reported to sick bay they quarantined me-ended up being for 4 days. My wife was quarantined for 1 day to monitor her for symptoms. They let her loose after that when she was fine. We got $100 pp future cruise credit for each day of quarantine.

They brought me bland meals designed to minimize symptoms.

Ship happens.

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

There seems to be alot of restrictions....hotel for $250 a night in New York and three meals for $100...good luck!

The $250 for hotel was for those starting their journey home- thus not in NYC and surroundings. Those that needed hotels for Friday flights or on the B2B had the hotel rooms booked and paid for directly by RCCL.

I know there's a lot of controversy over hand sanitizers, and I'm not an infection control expert, but I can tell you that in the hospital and clinic that's all we use, and the various regulatory bodies are fine with it, and our infection rates are very low. So they must do something.

Our hospital and Doctor's offices have them everywhere also....Must be doing something right!

The letter seems pretty standard. When our Millennium cruise was cancelled for mechanical reasons, it took about 3.5 weeks for our refund, and another 2 months for our FCC to arrive. It is only good for sailings within a year of the issue date.:rolleyes: I think a hand full of the people who were on the ship when it broke down in Ketchikan are still trying to get completely reimbursed for their OOP expenses. I share all this because even though it was a Celebrity ship, all our communication and documentation was sent to and received from RCCL corporate.

Everybody who is now facing needing refunds, take good notes and make sure you save your receipts. Their policy is to refund to the credit card originally used for payment, so if you've closed an account since you booked this cruise, it will complicate things a little.

Great info...thanks!

The Clorox Hand santizing spray is sold at Staples.

Kills Germs

Clorox hand sanitizer is a great choice for medical institutions, childcare centers, senior centers, or any professional establishment where keeping germs to a minimum is imperative. This hand sanitizer uses a unique bleach-free formula that contains a full 71 percent ethyl alcohol, which is capable of killing more than 99.999 percent of germs on your hands in a mere 15 seconds.

Moisturizes

Although it contains ethyl alcohol, Clorox hand sanitizer won't leave you with dry, chapped, and irritated skin. The formula contains several premium emollients, including glycerol monolaurate and glycerin, to keep your hands in looking and feeling smooth.

Thanks for posting the info on this...it doesn't mention Noro as the other post suggested.

CDC clearly states that bleach and peroxide are the 2 most effective chemicals used to fight the Noro virus.

Alcohol won't kill Noro....unfortunately.

Hi all,

Just thought I would stop by and tell you all that a friend was on the EOS cruise prior to this one. She and DH got sick as soon as they got home. I guess someone was right in thinking this norovirus started on the previous cruise and spilled over to the next one.

I hope the cruise that starts today keeps everyone healthy. I have a few friends sailing.

So sorry that everyone got sick, sorry for RCI too. I think they did the best job they could in a horrible situation.

Thanks for posting the info on this...it doesn't mention Noro as the other post suggested.

CDC clearly states that bleach and peroxide are the 2 most effective chemicals used to fight the Noro virus.

Alcohol won't kill Noro....unfortunately.

Clorox® Healthcare™ Hydrogen Peroxide

Cleaner Disinfectants

• Wipes and sprays EPA registered to kill Norovirus

in 3 minutes (wipes) and 1 minute (sprays)

• No harsh chemical odors or fumes

• Kills 41 pathogens, including Norovirus,

TB and 13 antibiotic resistant organisms

Clorox® Healthcare™ Bleach Cleaner Disinfectants

• Wipes and sprays EPA registered to kill

Norovirus in 1 minute

• Trusted by more hospitals than any other

ready-to-use bleach products

• Kills 51 pathogens, including C. difficile Spores,

TB and 12 antibiotic resistant organisms

Cleaner Disinfectants

Norovirus in 1 minute

Handy list. I added that to my calander to order from Amazon along with Sea Band, Ginger Gum, Pepto.

Edited by FireStation46

I guess I'm not understanding why you think the soap, water, dirt, germs, virus, and bacteria from hand washing that goes down the drain is recycled. Whatever goes down the drain becomes sewage since that's where the drain pipe goes.

Judy

No, it does get recycled...but it is very safe

Cleaner Disinfectants

Norovirus in 1 minute

Do you know if these are for the hands or just to clean surfaces with?

I purchased some of the Lysol wipes with hydrogen peroxide but they're not for the hands. Too harsh for skin I suppose...so I wonder if these are safe.

Just read on msn front page that a Princess ship is returning with ill passengers. Norovirus is the suspect. Only 3 passengers have it now. But 165 total have had it. Not sure if I can copy and paste the article here.

Local Houston TV station interviewed some passengers leaving the Princess ship today.

Main complaints were from those who were ill who objected to being confined to their cabin while sick. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=9414846

OK...I researched it for myself and it seems the hand sanitizer does NOT mention Noro virus but the surface cleaner does kill Noro.

Here's a link to the page and all of the products right on the Clorox site.

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-healthcare-hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner-disinfectants/usage/

I'm still in search of a hand sanitizer that DOES kill Noro. I would like one for my handbag besides Purell which doesn't kill it.

My hands are clean when we enter the MDR but after touching the menu they're certainly not.

ok...i researched it for myself and it seems the hand sanitizer does not mention noro virus but the surface cleaner does kill noro.

Here's a link to the page and all of the products right on the clorox site.

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/products/clorox-healthcare-hydrogen-peroxide-cleaner-disinfectants/usage/

i'm still in search of a hand sanitizer that does kill noro. I would like one for my handbag besides purell which doesn't kill it.

my hands are clean when we enter the mdr but after touching the menu they're certainly not.

wow

wow

Not sure your "wow" was because you can't believe I wrote that about the menus or that you're just surprised the menus have germs.

Take a look at this one article and you may be really surprised.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ConsumerNews/eating-tabletop-item-germier-toilet-seat/t/story?id=12093016&ref=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

Local Houston TV station interviewed some passengers leaving the Princess ship today.

Main complaints were from those who were ill who objected to being confined to their cabin while sick. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=9414846

Right. How dare the cruiseline restrict their God-given "right" to mix with fellow passengers and share their illness. Seems we had a similar complainer on these boards as well. It's their vacation and they should be free to infect anyone they wish.:rolleyes:

It comes down to your own ideas for this, some people will pack cameras, I-pads, laptops, etc, but will not pack Lysol or other wipes/sprays. I have been on a number of cruises and everyone has to take pre-cautions. Spend less time on your electronics and more time on making your trip safe. Don't blame the cruiseline!