MS Westerdam-Sail-Away, Jan. 25, 2014

aliaschief

Glad to hear that your DH is home and on the mend.

I am just catching up on things. I knew that you had cancelled a cruise but didn't know what had happened to your DH.

Thanks, KK. DH had emergency surgery for a dissected aorta. I never heard of it before. The throracic and vascular surgeon told us 60% of people don't make it to the hospital in time, and 40% don't survive the surgery. He's one very lucky man. We were supposed to be sailing for 3 weeks on Noordam starting on the 27th and I'm so grateful this happened at home and not on the ship. No one there would have been able to help him.

Thanks, KK. DH had emergency surgery for a dissected aorta. I never heard of it before. The throracic and vascular surgeon told us 60% of people don't make it to the hospital in time, and 40% don't survive the surgery. He's one very lucky man. We were supposed to be sailing for 3 weeks on Noordam starting on the 27th and I'm so grateful this happened at home and not on the ship. No one there would have been able to help him.

My goodness, he really is one fortunate man! Will be praying for a speedy recovery and hope you'll be cruising again before too long.

Darn,

Forgot to check to see if there was a Westerdam Sail Away..

I saw here leaving......I was checking on the Crown Princess...My brother and his wife were on it...got to see them on the balcony:-)...took pictures to send to them....

The Westerdam looked so darn nice....

-25 here Monday and Tuesday...........wish we were off sailing NOW...

Bob E

Glad he is on the mend. Just as well you were close to where that surgery could be done.

Darn,

Forgot to check to see if there was a Westerdam Sail Away..

I saw here leaving......I was checking on the Crown Princess...My brother and his wife were on it...got to see them on the balcony:-)...took pictures to send to them....

The Westerdam looked so darn nice....

-25 here Monday and Tuesday...........wish we were off sailing NOW...

Bob E

are you really going to wait until 2015 to cruise???:p:p:p

It's a dam long wait:D

Hope you got the Queen of Horns blasts - they were fantastic :D

Thank you Carol for explaining.

My DH has heard of a dissected aorta. The aorta is breaking down and can happen very quickly and when another blood vessel bursts -- you can bleed out -- and very quickly.

Your DH is one VERY lucky person. You are right -- if it had happened on a ship -- no way would he have survived.

Yonnie

Thank you Carol for explaining.

My DH has heard of a dissected aorta. The aorta is breaking down and can happen very quickly and when another blood vessel bursts -- you can bleed out -- and very quickly.

Your DH is one VERY lucky person. You are right -- if it had happened on a ship -- no way would he have survived.

Yonnie

It's pretty scary to thank about that because we came so close to being at sea.

Thank you, Mumsy and Erewhon.

So glad he's on the road to recovery. I'm sure it was a very scary time!

How was it discovered....just curious...

He was swimming in our community pool and came to the side saying he had chest pain and didn't feel well. The life guard called the 24/7 nurse we have in this over 55 community and she took vitals and called an ambulance and we were in the hospital in about 15 minutes. He was also complaining about bad back pain and evidently chect and back pain are signs of this. The ER doctor ordered a CAT scan which showed the dissected aorta. Since all the normal tests for a heart attack came back negative since he didn't have a heart attack, this terrific ER doctor made the diagnosis.