Shoes that won't kill your feet

sparkins_mob

I'm going on my first cruise in May and I'm trying to find a good walking shoe and wondering what everyone recommends? It's a very port intensive Mediterranean cruise and I've signed us up for a LOT of tours so I need to find a good shoe that won't kill my feet.

Do you prefer a walking/running shoe, or a sandal type? I'm worried that my feet may be too hot in sneakers and socks, but sandals may not have enough support.

I have a lot of nurse friends that recommend New Balance sneakers, but are they worth the hype?

I'm a nurse, I work in a good supportive sneaker. I wouldn't think of walking for long periods in anything else! I also recommend you wear them around at home a little before you leave so you know they're comfy. I'd also pack mole skin, just in case you get blisters. Have fun!!

I recommend a leather walking shoe - possibly a leather walking sandal. White running shoes/sneakers always stick out but you could get a leather that goes with skirts, shorts, pants. I personally can't wear shoes with a synthetic lining because the lining makes my feet too hot & they burn after a long day of walking. You may want to go to a 'Walking Store" or to Clark's and try some. What feels great on my foot may be uncomfortable to you.

I also would suggest bringing two pairs of comfortable shoes. You never know when something may rub the wrong way.

Hi:) if you do a search for "walking shoes" you will find tons of threads

on the topic. Many gals wear sandals while others wear a shoe (with

a sock).

I agree with Janine and would suggest bringing 2 pairs. I sailed to the Med for the first time in May 2012:D.....omg...best cruise I have ever

taken:) I did learn one thing....I need a closed shoe and sock for walking.

I brought a pair of "Grasshoppers"....they are black leather, lace up and they

literally saved me:).....I had worn sandals pre-cruise in Rome and didn't

realize (I thought they would work) they did not and rubbed my heel

very badly:(.....the shoes and socks saved my feet for the rest of

the cruise....walking was a bit part of the trip....Sicily, Naples, Athens,

Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini and Ephesus (Turkey). For me? closed

shoes and socks........I do know over the years of reading threads about this topic,

other gals will tell you sandals work just fine for them. So it really depends on you.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

If you have a "The Walking Company" anywhere near you, they have an awesome collection of comfy shoes. You can try on several brands. They're kind of pricey, but I love the sandals I got last year.

Teva makes good walking sandals. I have a leather pair with suede foot bed. My foot is permanently imprinted in the foot bed, but I did wear them every warm/hot day for nearly four years. I still wear them on rainy days or wet excursions.

And like several people suggested, take two pair and rotate.

1) TRY try try different brands and styles to see what works for YOUR foot (lots of recommendations in other threads, as mentioned)

2) Bring more than one pair of comfortable walking shoes

3) Break EVERYTHING in before your trip. And I don't mean a walk around the mall. I mean - walk in the woods, walk up hills, walk on cobbles if at all possible (rocky trails in the woods can be a decent substitute)

I *personally* can walk in a hiking sandal (Tevas work nicely for me, Keen & Chaco don't fit me, Merrell is hit or miss). If I am in a warm and/or wet climate, these are my first choice. I can walk in birkenstocks if it's less than 3 miles (ha! that doesn't happen on Med cruises or any trip to Europe I've taken;)) I can't remember what my 2nd pair of comfy walking shoes was on my 2011 Black Sea cruise, but I know I had one. Might have been my privo mary janes. In Alaska, I had the privo mary janes and a pair of Asolo goretex walking shoes. We did some hiking before the cruise so I wanted something I REALLY could walk in:p Our next cruise is a Christmas market river cruise and I'll be bringing a knee high boot (Keen) and an ankle boot (my old Keens died this year so I'm currently looking for a replacement to break in before December:D)

We did the Med this summer, so I totally relate!

I recommend having at least 2 good pairs of shoes to walk is so you can trade them out .

I actually took 4 pairs (the most ever, but we were in Europe for 21 days)

I had a pair of Clark's leather sport sandals

2 pairs of Easy Spirit, the 360 riptide & travel time

A pair of Orthoheel sandals (I used these mainly on the ship)

My entry into the walking footwear category would be the Jambu Water Diva. It's a slingback strappy sandal with a protective toe front. It's good on pavement, trail (if you don't mind getting dirty), beach, water. They are the one pair of shoes that I always take with me, sometimes they are the only shoe I take. I have used them twice on trips in Europe, both land-based and walking-intensive. The last trip was in May in Italy. Wore them everyday all over Rome and Florence! Never an issue….

Even my most comfortable shoes will begin to hurt my feet after hours and hours of walking. I always take along some moleskin and blister pads "just in case"! My favorites right now are Bzees by Naturalizer. They are light as air and very comfy. Seriously, each shoe weighs less than 6 oz!!!

But as mentioned above, take more than one pair of shoes to switch out. :)

shoes_iaec0212923.jpg

I have two pairs of walking shoes that have taken me all over the world, and which pair I wear depends on my outfit and the weather. For a good leather shoe you can't beat Mephisto brand. For a light runner-style shoe I love the pull on Sketchers (they don't have laces, they just have criss cross elastics that simulate the look of laces). The former are dressier and can go with dressy pants, chinos or even a casual skirt or dress, while the latter are great with everything from shorts to jeans to capris.

Have you tried Ryka? I get mine on QVC, they are absolutely a put-on-and-go shoe. A few years ago we were almost out the door for our Italy cruise and I forgot to pack my black tennis shoes, I remembered I had a pair still in the box that had come in the day before. Since I have such a good "relationship" with Ryka I stuck them in my suitcase and the next day walked 15 miles in Rome and it was like marshmellows. Ryka's are made with a wider toe box so you're not pinched.

I am also a fan of Clarks shoes, they have many styles in wide. Their sandals with the "lexi" sole are so comfortable that you can wear them all day as well.

I feel most comfortable in flip-flops and actually prefer my Rainbow sandals opposed to tennis shoes since they are molded to my feet. They are horrid until you get them broke in, but I took a shower with mine and wore them around the house so they molded faster where they were wet. Anyway, I know they're flip-flops but they are SO comfortable to me and mold to YOUR foot.

If you want a sandal but not a flip-flop, I would suggest Birkenstock. They have a ton of styles and colors to choose from and they usually have good support. I have a pair of these also and although I don't wear them as much as my Rainbow shoes, they are incredibly comfortable.

You may also want to research Merrell for one of their Mary Jane styles. I have a pair of "hiking" MJs that are great when I need more coverage than a sandal but I don't want a tennis shoe. They have a thicker sole with arch support but the design lets my feet breathe. Mine are a neutral tan color so they go with almost anything.

I wear NB sneakers...have for many years. They're good...try them on..walk in them in the store for at least 30 mins.....shoes take time!

Unless you are hiking in major terrain, perhaps your normal sandals/flip-flops will do just fine!

I believe what may be perfect for one persons foot may not work for the next. So, not only do you have to try on numerous brands, you have to make sure you can walk/stand for hours in the shoes.

For me, it was a brand named Reikers. Not only did I wear them almost every port day in Italy, I continue to wear them to work in 5 years later. Besides my New Balance walking shoes, I don't think I've ever gotten more wear out of a pair of shoes.

This

I believe what may be perfect for one persons foot may not work for the next. So, not only do you have to try on numerous brands, you have to make sure you can walk/stand for hours in the shoes.

OP, you've probably gotten as many recommendations as there are hours in the day.;) There have been some good suggestions but you will never know unless you go and try on the shoes and walk around in them, you can not go by word of mouth.

I'll add to my post stating that I didn't buy the shoes new right prior to the cruise. The intent for them to be worn at that time was there, but I purchased them 6 months in advance and wore them a lot. By the time we left, they fit like old shoes.

This

OP, you've probably gotten as many recommendations as there are hours in the day.;) There have been some good suggestions but you will never know unless you go and try on the shoes and walk around in them, you can not go by word of mouth.

The same goes for clothing, makeup, skincare, haircare, etc…

I have found what works for me and no longer experiment…and no longer have a drawer full of useless products. Clothes are easy, you try them on and just don't buy them if you aren't pleased.

I live in a big city and I wear my white leather New Balance (love them!) walking shoes all the time. Lots of others wear similar shoes so we can run for trains and buses, etc. What do non-tourists in ports wear on their feet? Why do people say it sticks out that we are tourists if we wear white trainers? I think the big camera around my neck probably gives that away before my shoes do. :) Anyway, I need supportive shoes for my feet and knees and I want to walk a lot and enjoy the place I'm visiting rather than wearing fashionable yet uncomfortable shoes. If someone can explain why it's bad to wear them then I would appreciate it. Not being snarky...just wondering what the big deal is.

Pickpocketers know these folks are likely to be first timers , no moneybelts, lots of cash on them, wallets in back pockets along with PPs. Usually in baggy jeans. Locals wear slim jeans, dark shoes or Italian boots.

If a white sport shoe is what you wear at home and what you wear for comfortably walking miles on uneven terrain, then wear it.

I don't ever wear white shoes, sport shoes or otherwise, so why would I wear them on vacation? I find them unflattering (in general and on me specifically) and they don't match my clothing, so I don't wear them. I don't find "regular" sneakers to be comfortable for street walking OR trail walking (if I'll be hiking, I have hiking shoes; for streets, I have different options). I absolutely agree that comfort is mandatory; I DON'T believe a sneaker is the best way for me to be comfortable.

I also don't wear a fanny pack or a camera around my neck, but if you do, enjoy:rolleyes: Not sure how that got into the conversation....

Edited by Hoyaheel