Allure Excursion - Self Explore St John - STO3

clonegirl

Has anyone participated in the "Self Explore St John" Excursion? My husband and I are contemplating going on this one with our 4 young kids (9, 8, 5 and 9 months). This will be our 3rd cruise with kids but the first without grandparents along. All of us usually just head to a beach on our own on port days. However, I'm not sure I want to try that with St. John. My husband really wants to spend some time snorkeling so I thought that he could snorkel from the beach at Trunk Bay while the kids and I swim and play in the sand. The 9 and 8 year old will also snorkel if the water is calm enough.

I would really like to visit St. John. Just wondering if we're crazy trying to do this with 4 kids. We took them on a NYC ferry ride tour for 3 hours this summer and they did great. Assuming if they can handle that then they'll be fine on the 45 min ferry.

Let me know if you have any experience or advice with this excursion. Thanks!

Has anyone participated in the "Self Explore St John" Excursion? My husband and I are contemplating going on this one with our 4 young kids (9, 8, 5 and 9 months). This will be our 3rd cruise with kids but the first without grandparents along. All of us usually just head to a beach on our own on port days. However, I'm not sure I want to try that with St. John. My husband really wants to spend some time snorkeling so I thought that he could snorkel from the beach at Trunk Bay while the kids and I swim and play in the sand. The 9 and 8 year old will also snorkel if the water is calm enough.

I would really like to visit St. John. Just wondering if we're crazy trying to do this with 4 kids. We took them on a NYC ferry ride tour for 3 hours this summer and they did great. Assuming if they can handle that then they'll be fine on the 45 min ferry.

Let me know if you have any experience or advice with this excursion. Thanks!

We did this last week. We took a taxi to Trunk Bay. The day we went, a storm was coming in and the waves/breakers were large and the snorkeling visibility was poor. I don't think that is typical but just wanted to warn you. If you get a day like we had, the water would probably be too rough for your kids to get in. I had trouble getting in to snorkel although did it eventually by carrying my fins past the breakers then putting them on.

The beach is beautiful, but it is not deep. We were the only cruise ship in St. Thomas, and by the time this excursion gets you there (about 11:30 am), the beach was packed and we had trouble finding a place to set our stuff that would not get wet as the water was coming up high on the beach - perhaps again that was unusual with the storm. Trunk Bay is a National Park site with some buildings that have snacks, bathrooms, showers, and rentals for chairs and snorkel equipment. You can rent folding chairs - I think they were either $5 or $8 a piece. But they require large deposits. For 2 chairs and a pair of fins, it was a $50 deposit. They do take credit cards, so we used one for that. You then have to carry the chairs down to the beach. It's not that far, but I know how it is when you have kids and a lot of stuff. :) There are not umbrellas but the beach is lined with trees so there's a lot of shade.

The ferry I would describe more as a large speedboat. It goes fast and was very bumpy on the way to St. John. There were some adults that looked a little sick. On the way back, it wasn't as rough, but it was raining and many people were soaked - there are limited seats underneath cover. The seats on all sides get very wet - both if it's raining and just from water splashing you during the ride. They offered water on the way to St. John but were only offering alcoholic "pain killers" on the way back. We had bottles of water so perhaps they had water if you asked, but I don't know.

Timing - meet at the pier at 9:45. We walked to the boat a little after 10. By the time they got everyone settled it was more like 10:15. Arrived at Cruz Bay at 11. Got everyone going to Trunk Bay into an open air shuttle bus (those are the taxis there) and got to Trunk Bay about 11:30. Fairly long line to pay - $4 a person to get in. There were taxis waiting in the parking lot to take us back to Cruz Bay when we were done. We took one back, had a snack at a restaurant, did some shopping, then got back on the boat. We had to meet back at the "ferry" at 2:45. Left about 3:10 and was back to the cruise ship at 4.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Carol

I should add that we were on the Celebrity Summit, not the Allure. But Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are sister companies and both have this same excursion ST03. But I don't know if your ship is in port the same times that the Summit is. Your start time might be different than 9:45 - it will say on the tickets.

We had a fantastic experience 2 weeks ago. You board the boat 25 feet from the cruise ship. It took us almost an hour getting there due to sea conditions (quite rough). Taxi is quick and painless. Trunk is very nice. There are picnic tables, BBQ pits, restrooms, showers (think any state/national park in the States). Water was a little cloudy, but we could still see the bottom 20+ feet down.

Trip back was only 45 mins and seas had calmed a bit and we were going with the wind. I would highly reccomend using the self tour as apposed to trying to get there yourself. The $5 or so dollars you would save is just not worth it.

On our boat (Capt Jack), there were serving alcholic drinks on the way back. We just asked for some juice (pre alcohol) and they gladly mixed up the juice first and poured ours before adding the rum. Our boat was two level. If you are worried about getting sick, stay on the lower level.

FWIW we did not eat anything there as we had packed Cliff bars and bananas from the ship. We also took our own snorkel gear, but they had plenty to rent if you need it.

100_0220_zpsc81465a0.jpg

100_0239_zps4111e0fa.jpg

100_0232_zps9ae3387a.jpg

Edited by DonTreadOnMe

We took this excursion with Celebrity so not sure if they use the same tour operator. While it was convenient leaving from the dock, it was still a fairly long walk to the boat. Not a problem for us but could be for elderly or disabled. The ride was a bit rough at times and some people looked like they were going to be seasick. What was really, really annoying though was the incessant tour narration which was over a very, very loud speaker. The boat motor was also extremely loud so we had headaches by the time we arrived at St John. Taxis were waiting so that part was easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your responses and feedback. I really appreciate it. I think that we're going to go ahead and book this excursion. The only thing I'm second guessing now is whether to book this one or the excursion that also includes a scenic ferry trip around St. John. We wouldn't take advantage of that portion, but that excursion leaves earlier than this one. However, there's quite a few ships in port that day so the beach is going to be busy either way. I'm hoping that while the beach may be busy when we arrive that other people will have to head back to their ships earlier than this excursion ends. No matter what, it will be better than the frigid temps we've been experiencing at home this winter!

Thanks for all of your responses and feedback. I really appreciate it. I think that we're going to go ahead and book this excursion. The only thing I'm second guessing now is whether to book this one or the excursion that also includes a scenic ferry trip around St. John. We wouldn't take advantage of that portion, but that excursion leaves earlier than this one. However, there's quite a few ships in port that day so the beach is going to be busy either way. I'm hoping that while the beach may be busy when we arrive that other people will have to head back to their ships earlier than this excursion ends. No matter what, it will be better than the frigid temps we've been experiencing at home this winter!

We had to make the same decision, we decided to take the early one with the scenic ferry. We wanted to be one of the early ones off as several ships in port that day. I would love to hear how others decided. We will be arriving on the Allure of the Seas.

• 1 month later...

We are going on this "excursion" in may on the allure. I've had my heart set on trunk bay (we've never snorkeled before). However just realized there will be 3 large ships in port so that's about 16K people!!!! What's y'all's second choice beach? Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on this "excursion" in may on the allure. I've had my heart set on trunk bay (we've never snorkeled before). However just realized there will be 3 large ships in port so that's about 16K people!!!! What's y'all's second choice beach? Let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cinnamon was our second choice, and where we went last time - it was great. There were several large ships in when we were there last month. Friends on the same cruise went to Trunk early (on the Self Explore excursion), and they said it wasn't bad. When we were there in the afternoon in January on the same excursion, it was packed. If you've had your heart set on Trunk, then I would give it a try. Even if you can barely find a place to put your towel, like it was when we were there, it was still beautiful and I'm glad we went.

We will be there in May. I believe we are the only ship in port that day and are planning to go to Trunk Bay. We already have reservations on the Self Explore St. John Tour, STO3 (Jewel of the Seas).

We have never been to St. John's before despite numerous trips to St. Thomas. We will be there on a Sunday, May 11. I am wondering if we should just head over to Cinnamon Bay and skip Trunk Bay? Does Cinnamon have beach chairs and umbrellas, and food available at that time of year? Also, is there an admission fee to Cinnamon?

I would like to hear from anyone that has taken this excursion from the Allure or Oasis from Crown Bay.

First, when you leave the ship, where do you have to go to meet the ferry? Walk? Shuttle?

We might not be interested in Trunk Bay because of crowds. Maybe Cinammon, any other recommendations?

• 1 month later...

LA CA GAL- can you tell me about your experience going to St John's from Crown Bay? Was the boat nicer than a regular ferry as used from Red Hook? Was it a very rough ride? How can we get the earliest boat out? Sailing on Oasis this July with 6 of us & want to book the right excursion. Just really using it as a means of getting to St John's as you did . Also trying to choose between Honeymoon at Caneel, Cinnamon or Trunk Bay. Appreciate your feedback!

LA CA GAL- can you tell me about your experience going to St John's from Crown Bay? Was the boat nicer than a regular ferry as used from Red Hook? Was it a very rough ride? How can we get the earliest boat out? Sailing on Oasis this July with 6 of us & want to book the right excursion. Just really using it as a means of getting to St John's as you did . Also trying to choose between Honeymoon at Caneel, Cinnamon or Trunk Bay. Appreciate your feedback!

First, I have yet to go, our cruise is July 20. When are you going?

Once I took the "taxi" from Havensite to Red Hook. NEVER again. Hated the taxi, hated the ride, hated the wait. We also did not do the ferry, we did a catamaran excursion from there to St. John.

I have opted to take the RCI excursion to St. John. This avoids any taxi ride to Red Hook, you leave almost from the ship at Crown Bay. The cost is $40 (can't beat that).

Similar to you, I just want to get to St. John quickly and easily, and for me, this is the best option. When we get there, we will hop on a taxi and go to Trunk. I have opted for Trunk because of DS for snorkeling. You might want to consider Cinnamon as it also gets good reviews, less crowded.

When I return, I will do a review of this excursion with pictures for everyone.

LA CA GAL - thank you for your reply . How funny - we sail on July26th on the Oasis.

Originally we were going to do the cat sail to St. John but we are not really into the snorkeling & that ride to Red Hook is awful - agree!

My biggest concern & I do not know if we have a choice if we want to get to St. John are the rough seas which I read about. My nephew & I can have issues with the rough waters. Hopefully in July the seas will not be to rough?? I am hoping the boat is similar to the photo of the Westin. However I think that may be the boat for the Westin St. John.

As to Cinnamon - I read somewhere that there are no services in the off season which this is. Would prefer it to the crowds at Trunk since we do not need the snorkeling.

Wish you were going sooner!!! Enjoy your cruise!! The Allure is AMAZING!! We did Western July 2012!!!

We will be doing the St. John Self Explore in 2 weeks on the Allure. I will try to come back and give a review on this excursion from the Crown Bay dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We will be doing the St. John Self Explore in 2 weeks on the Allure. I will try to come back and give a review on this excursion from the Crown Bay dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would be great.

I plan on doing the same after our Allure cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I am on the Allure in October and want to do the St John self excursion but I cannot find it on my list of excursions.....could it be sold out already?

Bubba's Mom - the RCCL excursion is called Coastal Cruise of National Park Beaches. It is $40pp. Our plan is to get off at Cruz Bay and not tour around. It leaves at 10:30 from Crown Bay. Booked it last week for end of July. I am sure it is available for your cruise in Oct.

We are now thinking of going to Cinnamon Beach vs Trunk. Don't like the idea of the chair deposits ( 6 of us) at Trunk and lines to get it back when leaving. Also we also understand there are water "toys" at Cinnamon. Can anyone confirm that ?? Two teens with us.

Bubba's Mom - the RCCL excursion is called Coastal Cruise of National Park Beaches. It is $40pp. Our plan is to get off at Cruz Bay and not tour around. It leaves at 10:30 from Crown Bay. Booked it last week for end of July. I am sure it is available for your cruise in Oct.

We are now thinking of going to Cinnamon Beach vs Trunk. Don't like the idea of the chair deposits ( 6 of us) at Trunk and lines to get it back when leaving. Also we also understand there are water "toys" at Cinnamon. Can anyone confirm that ?? Two teens with us.

That was our plan originally, too. But about 90 days before the cruise RCI released STO3, which was cheaper. There were 3 excursions on our ferry. The STO3, the Coastal Cruise, and one giving an island tour.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

That was our plan originally, too. But about 90 days before the cruise RCI released STO3, which was cheaper. There were 3 excursions on our ferry. The STO3, the Coastal Cruise, and one giving an island tour.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ginny! I just looked in a different location- under sightseeing rather than beach on the RCCL sight and found the STO3. I am going to change to that one & save $36

I'm thinking of doing this excursion with our family of 9. My parents, brother's family (4yo & 6yo), and my family (23 mos). Am I right to think it seems as though I'll have no need for carseats? Walk to boat, ferry to St. John, open air shuttle/taxi to island. I'm hoping to get to a beach on St. John and snorkel while kids play in the sand. Will I need to take toys, or are there toy vendors/options at Truck Beach?