Blu Review - Reflection 1/18/14

Alsmez

So refreshing to read such a detailed and candid review. I greatly appreciate reading food reviews from someone who could quickly tell if they slipped Cremini muchrooms into a dish instead of the promised, and advertised Porcini - I'm sure you could do that blindfolded.

We will be in Aqua later this year on a transatlantic for the first time so your review is timely. The menu items all look quite appealing but I'm disturbed by the dishonesty in the descriptions: Fontina or some other cheese substituted for Brie, lack of promised additions or garnishes (tasso, smoked gouda), oven roasted tomatoes vs sundried, etc. It seems pretentious to promise luxe ingredients and to then present a lesser quality.

The maple syrup issue is deplorable - I may have to use one of my 4oz. liquid allotments on the plane for a small bottle of the real stuff. Do they hope we're not noticing or caring? One hates to be fooled, or taken for one.

Your breakfast experience is one to be taken seriously. We love to be served vs. the sometime chaos in the buffet. Guess it will be berries, poached eggs and smoked salmon until we brave the buffet for freshly baked waffles and pancakes.

Again, my thanks for a simply outstanding, insightful assessment.

I had to laugh reading the comments about the Vermont maple syrup. Whoever writes their menus has some creative writing skills. My favorite is the "California Blue Crab Bisque". Every Valentines Day I pay a small fortune to fly out blue crab for my DH, since it's not readily available in California.

I had to laugh reading the comments about the Vermont maple syrup. Whoever writes their menus has some creative writing skills. My favorite is the "California Blue Crab Bisque". Every Valentines Day I pay a small fortune to fly out blue crab for my DH, since it's not readily available in California.

LOL, I noticed that one too...I was thinking "wait, did they mean Maryland?" :D

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As I was viewing the menus, I did wish it was not as seafood heavy as it is. Many of the apps and entrees (even pasta, which I do eat) included seafood. How I wish I wasn't alergic and could try some of the items you mentioned. I am just too unadventurous to try some of the other items, but feel your descriptions allowed me to. Happy future cruisin'

I commented on the waiter issue already....let me give another perspective on the food issues raised.

As I said, we haven't and won't be on the reflection which seems to get consistent negative reviews on waits and crowds in Blu...due, in my opinion, to the increased revenue space without apparently adequate increase in dining space for aqua.

We have found the food in Blu to vary, as it does in most restaurants. The menus, of course, are written in HQ...every ship uses the same menus although they do change the order of the menus...thus the flowery, marketing descriptions. I am always suspicious of menus that describe the ingredients in great detail and the mismatch, seemingly in the majority of cases, to the dish served..and that's on ships and on shore. Of course, the ship is given it's supplies. If HQ gives them high fructose corn syrup instead of vermont maple syrup, that's what gets served. The folks that order food are driven by the bottom line, not the menu which they probably never have read.

I concur on the pancakes for breakfast...just awful and I never order scrambled eggs unless I see them being scrambled (a vote for the buffet here where i go to the egg station and ask them made in front of me). I also found that getting a non hard boiled poached egg is near impossible on the M-class ships due to the distance from the kitchen. But then you quickly get to the more important problem which is the recipes that must say "season to taste". We have been on cruises where "season" seems to mean "salt" because that's the only seasoning on board, so it seems. So blu is variable.

The MDR, IMHO, is far worse. If your food resembles the description of the dish, it's an accident. Each cruise, we get tempted to go the MDR for one night due to the menu (we have short memories), and every time we do it, we say never again. IMHO, if you don't care for the way blu prepares dishes, you're going to really dislike the MDR.

Unfortunately, Blu is not the healthy gourmet restaurant we'd all llike....but it is better than the MDR. It's also far easier to get an alternate dish or ask them to make a change to a dish in Blu than in the MDR. We prefer blu, not for the food so much, but for the much quieter room and less hustle and bustle with huge trays heaped with food and glasses being carried around (and occasionally dropped). Blue is a dining room where I can actually talk in a normal voice.

The OP made some very astute culinary comments about various dishes...and I pretty much agree with much of it....but we far prefer dining in Blu vs the MDR....which is why we only book Aqua at this point. Remember, Celebrity is a mid market cruise line..it's not a luxury cruise line (no, you don't become a luxury line by coining a marketing phrase..modern luxury). I often wonder why someone pays so much for a suite on Celebrity vs a nice balcony room on a luxury line....but that's a personal decision. I can assure you the food is better on most of the luxury ships....and in our experience, the food on Celebrity is better than the food on the other mid market/mass market cruise lines.

Edited by ghstudio

We have had Jose on several cruises and he has been top notch. Very friendly and attentive. One of the best.

There are unique problems with Blu on Reflection. We were somewhat concerns when we booked Aqua Class on Reflection with the significant increase in the number of passengers eligible to eat there. Our worst fears were realized. Service suffered and so did the food quality in my opinion. When you increase the number of patrons and fail to make other adjustments, this is what you get.

Reflection is a great ship and with a number of improvements. However, not true with Blu.

They do post them outside. Not sure if they'll do the first four menus or something else - I would assume you'll get lobster on your formal night, though, so at least that one would be out of order.

Were they posted outside Blu? I never saw them, but never really looked. However, they were available in the room via the TV message system.

Were they posted outside Blu? I never saw them, but never really looked. However, they were available in the room via the TV message system.

Yes, they're posted on a board outside of Blu, to the left of the entrance. We didn't realize they were available on our TV until a few days in, so we made a habit of strolling by Blu in the afternoon to check them out.

Good fun to read such a thorough review, knowing that we were sitting nearby at most of those meals. I largely agree with the original poster, although I have to say we enjoyed our breakfasts more than they.

When Blu is crowded, service and the overall experience suffers; when it's not, it's a lovely, lovely place to eat. While some dishes were variable (my Egyptian husband was not impressed by the squab, which is a national dish there, albeit prepared quite differently), the overall quality was high. We mixed the menus most nights to make up a four course meal and generally enjoyed ourselves a lot.

It's too bad that it's not possible to plus up the servers at peak times - our very good waiters simply had too much to do some nights (especially lobster night, as that dish requires time to remove the shell and then bring the butter - it was, as OP noted, very, very good). Two sommeliers, during the rush, also aren't enough, especially as so many people were ordering by the glass (I'm assuming because of the packages - I'm one of those, and had some terrific wine).

Even at its most crowded, though, Blu is still pleasant - not too loud for conversation, and most tables no closer than they are in big-city restaurants. We greatly enjoyed our conversations with neighbors some nights, and respected those who didn't seem to want to chat (as indeed, sometimes, we didn't).

As for breakfast, quality varied by dish. I loved the berry dish every morning, but it didn't seem one could specify much in the way of more or less of this or that. We had egg-white omelets that seemed as far as we could tell to be from actual eggs - they were certainly flavorful and well-cooked. Baked goods also varied, with croissants good (not Paris good, but let's be real) but Danish not so much. The one thing that rather bothered us was the very ordinary little jam packets - which had to be jammed into holders clearly meant for the little jars often served at hotel breakfasts. We like good jam, and that was one (exceedingly small) disappointment.

So on the whole we were very happy. We ate one night at Murano, and while it was terrific, we weren't unhappy at going back next door to Blu the next night.

Thanks again to the OP for helping reinforce our memories!

Even at its most crowded, though, Blu is still pleasant - not too loud for conversation, and most tables no closer than they are in big-city restaurants. We greatly enjoyed our conversations with neighbors some nights, and respected those who didn't seem to want to chat (as indeed, sometimes, we didn't).

Thanks for your post! This is something I didn't comment much upon but I definitely agree with you - the atmosphere in Blu is very pleasant indeed. Much less hustle and bustle than in the MDR, with a lower noise level as well. We sat in a different location each night, and found the back corner just as nice as the center window seat.

We were on the January 18th cruise on Reflection also. We never had to wait for

a table in Blu for breakfast or for dinner. The waitstaff was excellent. Our breakfast

was great and served promptly. I can't say about the scrambled eggs but the over easy

eggs were fresh and delicious.

" (attached here as a PDF, in the order we ate them)"

LOVING these reviews but can't find this PDF to save my life. (I'm sure I'm being stupid)

Thank you very much for posting the detailed review.

I had great food in Blu back in 2011 for both breakfast and dinner, but I never order scrambled eggs. I look forward to seeing how things have changed in 2014.

Did you say you had PDFs of the menus for Blu? I look several times in your posts and could not find them. I guess my eyes are tired.

I can't find the PDF, either. :confused:

We had great breakfast meals in Blu on the Eclipse. :)

Is it possible to get a table for 4 at Blu? Everything I've seen looks like it's all tables of two.

Yes, they did push two tables together in the back one evening for us and a couple we got to know at the Ensemble lounge. Actually, I'm not sure if they pushed two tables together or if it was already a 4 top.

Is it possible to get a table for 4 at Blu? Everything I've seen looks like it's all tables of two.

I know on the infinity, Blu has tables for up to 8. We had six and only split up for one dinner because we didn't want to wait for one of the three larger tables. There are many tables for 4. All of the tables by the windows (which are the tables in all the pictures) are set for 2, but it's very easy to push them together.

Edited by ghstudio

Great review, you mentioned that you were offered 50% a few of the specialty restaurants the first night.

Wonder if you might share how you found out about that on the ship. Did they leave notification outside the stateroom or a phone call to the stateroom?

Was it only for the first night or was there extention for other nights as well?

Also, we are 3 couples traveling together all booked Aqua/Blu and would like to know if there are tables for 6 in Blu and any sense as to how difficult it might be to get a table for 6,

Thanks so much

Great review, you mentioned that you were offered 50% a few of the specialty restaurants the first night.

Wonder if you might share how you found out about that on the ship. Did they leave notification outside the stateroom or a phone call to the stateroom?

Was it only for the first night or was there extention for other nights as well?

Also, we are 3 couples traveling together all booked Aqua/Blu and would like to know if there are tables for 6 in Blu and any sense as to how difficult it might be to get a table for 6,

Thanks so much

We received a voicemail on our phone each day (usually mid-morning) detailing any special dining offers for Aqua Class that night. Lawn Club and Qsine were 50% off for us almost every night. I also saw a table set up near the buffet one day advertising a discount at Tuscan Grille, but I'm not sure how big a discount it was. I assume that was open to all passengers.

Tables of 6 in Blu should be easy - they have some larger round tables for big parties, or they can easily push 3 two-tops together.

Just saw post from Mhstudio but if anyone else would like to weigh in that would also be greatly appreciated.

Voicemail left in your cabin...50% off the first night at specialty restaurant. We were one of the first to call and Murano only had a very early seating available...so we didn't end up doing the 50% off deal.

They also had a scheduled time of 6:30 in Blu for the first night only.

There are maybe 3 large tables when you first enter BLU and one large table in the back area.

There was a wait at times for Blu (aqua guests)...but we had drinks in the Ensemble lounge to watch for the crowds to start entering.

Voicemail left in your cabin...50% off the first night at specialty restaurant. We were one of the first to call and Murano only had a very early seating available...so we didn't end up doing the 50% off deal.

They also had a scheduled time of 6:30 in Blu for the first night only.

There are maybe 3 large tables when you first enter BLU and one large table in the back area.

There was a wait at times for Blu (aqua guests)...but we had drinks in the Ensemble lounge to watch for the crowds to start entering.

I suspect that celebrity has realized they have created a space problem in Blu on the reflection and they have (rationally) decided the best way to help alleviate the problem is to discount the specialty restaurants to aqua passengers. I suppose that's a good solution if enough passengers want to dine in the specialty restaurants.

Someone in HQ decided that on the first night, they would ask aqua passengers to dine at either 6:00 or 8:30 (might change a little on a specific cruise)....however on every cruise, I ask why they do this and the answer is always...we haven't a clue!!! However the procedure persists. We are risk takers so we just go to blu on the first night when we want to eat...and we've never had a wait. I've also asked if that's OK with the Blu maitre d' and the answer is always "come when you like". It does seem a bit silly that a dining room geared to seat people as they come can't do that on the first night (at least according to HQ)....and having everyone come at once strains the kitchen. It's really a ridiculous practice IMHO.

Edited by ghstudio

I suspect that celebrity has realized they have created a space problem in Blu on the reflection and they have (rationally) decided the best way to help alleviate the problem is to discount the specialty restaurants to aqua passengers. I suppose that's a good solution if enough passengers want to dine in the specialty restaurants.

IMHO.

On our cruise on Reflection, after the second night several people gave up and ate at the MDR. It was crazy with all the people arriving at the same prime times. There were service problems and food came out lukewarm. We were told by others that we were wise to take up the Specialty Restaurant discount early on. We felt bad for the staff but we were frustrated how much we had paid extra for this 'experience' on Reflection.

Can you give me some idea of what times are considered to be prime? Thanks

In our experience it's 6:45-7:45, however if you have a large number of folks from countries that normally eat later (eg spain, brazil), the peak time can move later.