The 6 Most Hygienic Cruise Lines?

need2cruisesoon

Check this link below for the most hygienic cruise lines out there. Would this make you think twice when sailing you favorite cruise line if they were not as clean as you thought?

These cruise lines haven’t failed a CDC sanitation inspection in the past 10 years.

Costa

Norwegian

Oceania

Disney

Crystal

Seabourn

Check the link:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/6-most-hygienic-cruise-lines-2014-01-30?siteid=yhoof2

Check this link below for the most hygienic cruise lines out there. Would this make you think twice when sailing you favorite cruise line if they were not as clean as you thought?

These cruise lines haven’t failed a CDC sanitation inspection in the past 10 years.

Costa

Norwegian

Oceania

Disney

Crystal

Seabourn

Check the link:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/6-most-hygienic-cruise-lines-2014-01-30?siteid=yhoof2

No - not at all. If the reference is noro, that virus typically is brought on board by an infected person, so it doesn't matter if a given cruise line never failed an inspection or not. The cleanest ships at sea will still be at risk for a viral outbreak if a passenger brings it on board.

What is more important is instances of a noro outbreak in relationship to the total number of passengers a given cruise line carries. And the instances in relationship to all the passengers at sea on all the ships at sea at any given time is very low.

I look at it this way - it can happen on any ship at any time. Maybe I've been fortunate, but in 21+ years of cruising, I have never been affected by any type of illness on board a ship.

Costa

Norwegian

Oceania

Disney

Crystal

Seabourn

Check the link:

I teach classes for CDC when I am not working on a ship.

CDC Scores and hygiene are just barely related.

If you actually take time to read a CDC Inspection report, you will discover that most of the items inspected have to do with back-flow preventers on water supplies, cooling and heating logs filled in correctly, the length of the handle on the shepards hook at the swimming pool, the colors of trash bins in the galleys, how long the cutlery sits on the table before use, the temperature of the water at the handwashing sinks, how often the plastic cutting boards are sanded down, how many ceramic floor tiles in the galley have cracks in them, how many times per day we test the swimming pool water, how many fruit flies were discovered in the garbage room, and how often we sanitize the shower heads with bleach.

Most if this stuff has zero direct effect on hygiene on a ship.

NONE of this stuff has any direct effect on NLV.

If you do a careful search of CDC Inspection Scores over the past 10 years, and match them to ships that have had the most outbreaks, you will discover that many of the ships with the highest CDC Scores also had most of the reported outbreaks.

The correlation between high CDC scores and increased outbreaks is not what you might think.

Newer, bigger ships typically receive higher CDC Scores. The newer technologies they have onboard are more suited to meeting CDC Regulations. Newer equipment onboard is all functioning properly. All cruise ships built over the past 10 years were supervised in the shipyards by CDC Staff, ensuring that all is up to code.

Newer, bigger ships are usually introduced in the North American market.

Ships sailing from US Ports carry more Americans.

NLV developed and was discovered in Norwalk, Ohio, USA.

America has a higher percentage of citizens (and an actual higher number) with NLV every year than any other country. When those people come onboard, they bring the illness with them.

Bigger ships carry more people - increasing the chances of more infected people taking the cruise.

So, bigger and newer ships generally receive higher CDC Inspection scores, and generally have higher numbers of NLV outbreaks.

By the way, I often make unofficial CDC inspections onboard ships, using all the current CDC standards, requirements, and regulations.

If you can give me a list of your 10 favorite restaurants, I can guarantee that all of them would fail even a very cursory CDC Inspection.

Do you still want to eat in those places? Are they clean?

Lies, darn lies, and statistics....

Anybody note that, other than NCL, all those cruise lines have a relatively small number of ships, and, particularly in the case of Costa, don't come to the US often? Thus they don't get as many CDC inspections as most the mass market cruise lines.

............................SNIP..............................

If you can give me a list of your 10 favorite restaurants, I can guarantee that all of them would fail even a very cursory CDC Inspection.

I can guarantee that my own kitchen would fail!

I teach classes for CDC when I am not working on a ship.

CDC Scores and hygiene are just barely related.

If you actually take time to read a CDC Inspection report, you will discover that most of the items inspected have to do with back-flow preventers on water supplies, cooling and heating logs filled in correctly, the length of the handle on the shepards hook at the swimming pool, the colors of trash bins in the galleys, how long the cutlery sits on the table before use, the temperature of the water at the handwashing sinks, how often the plastic cutting boards are sanded down, how many ceramic floor tiles in the galley have cracks in them, how many times per day we test the swimming pool water, how many fruit flies were discovered in the garbage room, and how often we sanitize the shower heads with bleach.

Most if this stuff has zero direct effect on hygiene on a ship.

NONE of this stuff has any direct effect on NLV.

If you do a careful search of CDC Inspection Scores over the past 10 years, and match them to ships that have had the most outbreaks, you will discover that many of the ships with the highest CDC Scores also had most of the reported outbreaks.

The correlation between high CDC scores and increased outbreaks is not what you might think.

Newer, bigger ships typically receive higher CDC Scores. The newer technologies they have onboard are more suited to meeting CDC Regulations. Newer equipment onboard is all functioning properly. All cruise ships built over the past 10 years were supervised in the shipyards by CDC Staff, ensuring that all is up to code.

Newer, bigger ships are usually introduced in the North American market.

Ships sailing from US Ports carry more Americans.

NLV developed and was discovered in Norwalk, Ohio, USA.

America has a higher percentage of citizens (and an actual higher number) with NLV every year than any other country. When those people come onboard, they bring the illness with them.

Bigger ships carry more people - increasing the chances of more infected people taking the cruise.

So, bigger and newer ships generally receive higher CDC Inspection scores, and generally have higher numbers of NLV outbreaks.

By the way, I often make unofficial CDC inspections onboard ships, using all the current CDC standards, requirements, and regulations.

I'm amazed cruise lines even dock in U.S. ports or carry U.S. passengers seeing we're so unsanitary. Why do they allow us aboard? :eek:

Costa

Norwegian

Oceania

Disney

Crystal

Seabourn

Check the link:

Here is a thread that lists which ships/lines have had Noro virus outbreaks per CDC. Quite interesting...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979237

Costa

Norwegian

Oceania

Disney

Crystal

Seabourn

Check the link:

I would prefer a bout of noro on RCCL then experience a sinking on Costa..