Has anyone ever.....?

beachglasslvr

I'm not very experienced in using FF miles for booking a flight. Has anyone every been able to find flights during the holiday season using just the minimum amount of miles. EX., 12,500 vs. 25,000 miles per flight? I'm trying to book travel for my New Years Eve 2014 cruise. So far, all I'm coming up with are the 25,000 mile flights. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Has anyone every been able to find flights during the holiday season using just the minimum amount of miles. EX., 12,500 vs. 25,000 miles per flight? I'm trying to book travel for my New Years Eve 2014 cruise.

I would not hold my breath for low mileage tickets during a peak holiday travel period.

I'm not very experienced in using FF miles for booking a flight. Has anyone every been able to find flights during the holiday season using just the minimum amount of miles. EX., 12,500 vs. 25,000 miles per flight? I'm trying to book travel for my New Years Eve 2014 cruise. So far, all I'm coming up with are the 25,000 mile flights. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

What airline?

Actually once flew Dec. 31 with AC/Aeroplan, but this was a few years ago.

What airline?

Actually once flew Dec. 31 with AC/Aeroplan, but this was a few years ago.

I'm shooting for United or American. My actual cruise is leaving Dec. 27th and returning January 3rd. United has open their miles up, but USAir, who they're connected with, hasn't opened up their flight schedule that far yet. I can't seem to find a low mile flight on either carrier for the flight down. Talk about frustration! What is the point of earning miles, paying the credit card fee and try to book a flight, then find out you can't use your miles because of restrictions?

Edited by beachglasslvr

I'm shooting for United or American. My actual cruise is leaving Dec. 27th and returning January 3rd. United has open their miles up, but USAir, who they're connected with, hasn't opened up their flight schedule that far yet. I can't seem to find a low mile flight on either carrier for the flight down. Talk about frustration! What is the point of earning miles, paying the credit card fee and try to book a flight, then find out you can't use your miles because of restrictions?

US is leaving Star Alliance soon. I spoke with a UA rep yesterday about booking US flights with UA miles (since as of this writing you still can). She recommended against it. US will probably have many schedule changes with their new merger. I'd avoid any flights that are a combination of UA and US; actually, I probably wouldn't book any US flights at all. There are lots of flights on your dates on US in F for your outbound flights that are saver awards. Did you notice those?

You can use your miles; just not at the rate you would like. You can't expect to find lower mileage tickets during a very busy holiday travel period. No airline guarantees that. Award availability is constantly fluctuating. Keep checking; you are really early, especially for your return flight. That schedule just opened.

Edited by 6rugrats

I misunderstood that you would be traveling down on New Years Eve. If you're actually flying right after Christmas, planes will be full and your odds of a low mileage ticket will be pretty low in my experience and opinion. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it.

I think travelling on Dec. 26 will always be expensive, whether your currency is $$ or miles. On the bright side, I'm seeing lots of Business Saver awards for that date! :D

Your dates have just opened up; I would probably wait a month or 2 to see if anything is added, or look at travelling a bit earlier if possible, or to a different airport even.

It is definitely possible, but you need to be vigilant in looking constantly for availability.

Don't believe USAir will be "connected" with UA after May 2014, due to merger with AA.

Actually it will be in March 2014 when USAir leaves the Star Alliance (March 22 or March 24 I believe).

Personally I wouldn't be too worried about using UA miles to book on US. If there are issues with schedule changes, UA has been very good with me in rebooking me even when the award availability no longer existed. They can force award availability on their own airline. So most likely it will mean that you would end up flying on UA flights rather than US flights if there are schedule changes that result in misconnects.