Tracy Arm Fjord vs Juneau

Delbankin

We are booked on Zuiderdam to Alaska in May and are wondering about doing the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer tour which departs direct from the ship to smaller boat for an up close glacier experience. It is quite expensive but the reviews seem quite positive.

If we did this we would miss out on spending a lot of time in Juneau. The ship carries on to Juneau and from what I can understand our small boat returns us to Juneau after our tour. We should be back in town about 4pm and as the ship doesn't depart until 10pm we should by my reckoning have enough time to sample what the town has to offer.

Any views from past experience that might be of assistance would be appreciated.

Although I have never taken this shore excursion, I have booked the Volendam in August for the sole purpose of doing just that (hope it's a nice day).

I have sailed up Tracy Arm on the ship twice, and it is gorgeous, but I also know that the perspective from the smaller boat will be much, much different.

Earlier in the season, which May is, could be a problem with ice floes blocking part of the route. But then again, that could be a great experience in a different way. The fjord is scenic cruising, and getting to the glacier at the end is only a fringe benefit.

There are any number of fun things, both excursions and wandering around, to do in Juneau. One day, even a full day, there does not even come close; you will need to plan another trip. Or more.

We were on the Oosterdam last summer and did the Tracy Arm fjord but ours was from Juneau. It was amazing and I'm so glad we did it. There is something totally amazing being down at water level to view this part of nature. The day before we'd been there on the cruise ship and going back in the next day on a small boat was such a study in contrasts. You'll have a good amount of time in Juneau to do other things. You might not be able to get out and spend a lot of time at Mendenhall but there are still many things to do there.

Karen

hi

i was in Tracy Arm in early June 2011 and had tears in my eyes at the beauty. it was full of ice and we did not make it all the way in. but i will never forget the beauty. A year later very little ice still beatuful. I would give my arm or leg to be on a small boat.

There is pleanty to to do you have all day.

Mary

Tracy Arm is beautiful.

But in May -- could be a problem. And it is hard to predict what will happen on your cruise.

Different ships -- but one year we were able to get up very close to the glacier. A couple of other times -- not even close because of the ice flows.

That's true. Oosterdam has had to miss Tracy Arm sometimes because of too much ice particularly early in the season. We went mid June and were very lucky to be able to go all the way through. Captain Henk Draper did a fabulous job. :)

I've done this excursion 3 times, twice in May and once in July. IMO, nothing I saw or did in Juneau came close to the thrill of the Tracy Arm excursion. It is well worth the price. Go -- You won't regret it. :)

We did the small boat Tracy Arm excursion this past May. It is a wonderful experience. Certainly, Glacier Bay is more dramatic with much glacier calving but being on the smaller boat, sailing past small bergs and getting "up close and personal" with Tracy Arm was, to me, the highlight of our cruise.

Thanks for the replies. Most of which were very helpful. Our cruise also takes in Glacier Bay but we had to decide between Tracy Arm and Hubbard in terms of itineraries and as we were keen to sail in and out of Vancouver we gravitated towards HAL. We intend spending a few days in Vancouver post cruise as we think it has a lot to offer.

As this may be our only cruise to Alaska I don't think we will be visiting the fudge shop or Cathedral but thanks (Himself) for the suggestion. We'd rather take in what the town has to offer generally.

I made the assumption, and hence the reason for thinking about the small boat excursion, that if the cruise ship was not able to access Tracy Arm due to ice, the small boat would still be able to rendezvous with our ship and we could proceed to view Tracy Arm glacier close up. Is this a mistaken assumption ie if there is significant ice in Tracy Arm the rendezvous with the small boat will not happen?

As this may be our only cruise to Alaska I

I made my "only: cruise to Alaska in 1990. My 7th and 8th cruises there are booked for this August. ;)

I made the assumption, and hence the reason for thinking about the small boat excursion, that if the cruise ship was not able to access Tracy Arm due to ice, the small boat would still be able to rendezvous with our ship and we could proceed to view Tracy Arm glacier close up. Is this a mistaken assumption ie if there is significant ice in Tracy Arm the rendezvous with the small boat will not happen?

Sailing Tracy Arm is scenic cruising of a fjord, and there happens to be a glacier (actually 2, on different arms) at the end. Glacier Bay is scenic cruising of glaciers, and there happens to be a bay where they all are.

The whole reason for the experience is different. My first time up Tracy Arm (July, on the cruise ship), was a gorgeous ride, but we couldn't get to north Sawyer Glacier, and could only see south Sawyer Glacier from a long (very long) distance. My 2nd time (also on the cruise ship, September) was also a gorgeous ride. We were able to see some of north Sawyer Glacier around a corner.

Edited by RuthC

One other thing of note perhaps is that our itinerary identified Tracy Arm as Service Call with 10am arrival and 10.30am departure. I made the assumption this was to connect with the small boat tour. There is no suggestion of scenic cruising in Tracy Arm hence our idea to take a tour that would allow us to experience close up what the glacier has to offer.

The Zuiderdam and Volendam (same itinerary; different departure days) are the only HAL ships that have this shore excursion.

But again, the purpose of Tracy Arm is scenic cruising, not to see glaciers. No matter the month, you may or may not get to see Sawyer Glacier, and you may not get very close if you do.

Glacier Bay will give you the "up close & personal" glacier experience.

But the sail up Tracy Arm is spectacular, and well worth the ride. There will still be time (with lots of daylight in May) to enjoy some of Juneau.

The Mt. Roberts tram will be open, and even a walk around town is very interesting.

One other thing of note perhaps is that our itinerary identified Tracy Arm as Service Call with 10am arrival and 10.30am departure. I made the assumption this was to connect with the small boat tour. There is no suggestion of scenic cruising in Tracy Arm hence our idea to take a tour that would allow us to experience close up what the glacier has to offer.

From what I understand, your assumption about connecting with the small boat excursion is correct. Scenic cruising of Tracy Arm would take a minimum of three hours.

According to the tour operator's website, if Tracy Arm is iced in, the small boat tour will go to Endicott Arm instead. I am also planning on taking the small boat tour in May so have checked into that possibility.

As for spending time in Juneau, the shops may not be open late (I don't know the hours) but you should be able to enjoy the restaurants, should you want to eat dinner off of the ship. The shops near the pier tend to be jewellry and touristy shops.

I think that Mendenhall Glacier would be underwhelming in comparison to what you would see in GB. You could also take in the Mount Roberts Tramway but I am unsure of their hours. The days will be getting longer in May; it will probably still be daylight or twilight when you depart Juneau so you should still be able to see quite a bit from Mt Roberts, assuming it is still running when you want to go up (and the weather is good for viewing).

In Juneau I usually go visit Blue, Deb and Scott Bergman at the Juneau Fudge shop on Franklin street and then go up to the Catholic Cathedral to pray.

Hi notice he put fudge before church.. Pluse he probably be your best d=friend if you buy and send him some.

Mary

Hi

I doubt this will be your first and last trip to Alaska

Mary

I agree. No one ever just goes once - even though they say it is one time.;) I said that too' date=' and 5 cruises later.....[/size']

Tracy Arm is beautiful, and well worth the catamaran excursion. It has a different beauty to Glacier Bay - which is majestic and quite spectacular. But if you are on a cruiseship that offers the stop at Tracy Arm - take it. Yes, expensive but you won't regret it.:)

Edited by startwin