Can you skip the photo line?

alwaysfrantic

When boarding last time there was a long line before crossing over to the ship for the photos. With priority boarding someone put us at the screen, picture snapped, and we boarded. (We said we didn't want a picture but they insisted)

So without priority boarding can we just skip the photo que (as you can on DCL) or will they make everyone wait in the line?

Just say No, thanks and keep walking. You do not have to pose for any photo if that is not your wish.

The only photo you must agree to is the one taken at check in which shows on security screen each time your card is scanned at the gangway.

Edited by sail7seas

I can't remember the last time we stopped for a photo boarding or getting off at a port.

... but the photo line & the boarding line are the same line
True, but once you get close to the shooting spot you can usually skip past a few that are waiting.

Edited by jtl513

There is no official person directing you to the photo line. We just keep walking. It is usually only a photo employee who is telling you to get into the line and have your photo taken. Like the others say, only the one that appears on your room card is needed.

Just say No, thanks and keep walking. You do not have to pose for any photo if that is not your wish.

The only photo you must agree to is the one taken at check in which shows on security screen each time your card is scanned at the gangway.

Exactly, when we're up we just keep going with a smile and a no thanks. After an overseas flight we are in no condition for a photo that's for sure!

So some are saying wait in the line but it's okay to skip the picture. Others are saying it's ok to walk past that line and just board. I surely don't want to make the line angry but if it's just a picture line, I'd definitely rather skip it and board.

We always skip the photo line, but we wait until it is safe and clear to pass. Usually pretty much immediately. You don't have to wait in line, just go behind the backdrop or past those waiting to get photos done.

Edited by startwin

On our last cruise, after we checked in a manager asked us since we had cruised before did we want to skipped the photo line. We said yes and she took us around the line. We did end up buying the unlimited photo package that gave us all the picture we took for one price.

Before I needed wheelchair assistance to get onto the ships, we had priority boarding and we always politely said "No Thankful" and moved on through. Sometimes there was space behind the scene drop that we could just walk around the entire setting.

We do the same thing in the ports -- just say "No Thankful".

Really ticked me off on the NA, the photographer said we couldn't go until she looked at our cards. Such crap. She grabbed my card out of my hand and scanned it. I was very upset. Not once, not ever will I buy a photo from the ships photographers. I thought the heavy handed tactics of taking the sign and sail cards was beyond offensive. The photographers work for a concessionaire and have zero to do with the operations of the ship.

If this is the photogs new tactic of strong arming folks into getting a photo, I hope future cruisers say something loud and clear to the management. I have been on dozens of cruises, this is the first time my card was snatched out of my hand by a photog. I usually completely walk around behind th photo area. My husband was all concerned that it would look like I am jumping the line (which is crap, we all walk around them same photogs at port). Next cruise I am not stepping foot in that line.

When boarding last time there was a long line before crossing over to the ship for the photos. With priority boarding someone put us at the screen, picture snapped, and we boarded. (We said we didn't want a picture but they insisted)

So without priority boarding can we just skip the photo que (as you can on DCL) or will they make everyone wait in the line?

Absolutely… I always skip the line.

I dislike this photo line, it clogs up the boarding process and it's always a bit awkward trying to circumvent it.

What I do is wait until we get close to the front (i.e. don't push my way past or forward) and then move behind the screen and keep going. I will always say something along the lines of 'no thank you, don't need a photo'.) The awkward part is finding the right time to move ahead as I don't want to push my way forward in the line in an effort to bypass this quicker, as that seems rude. In addition, some of the staff are pushy about the photo. It makes me wonder if they are somehow rated on the number of shots they take. It's a waste of their money and time as I think we bought one picture in all the cruises we have taken.

Sometimes the photo folks are pretty aggressive. And it's really irritating when they set up their "booth" so it totally blocks the walkway onto the ship. Once you see how the folks are being forced to line up I don't have a problem with moving to the front of the line and going through when they are between photo sessions.

I will certainly plan to just not in the line in the first place and just move right on to the entrance. I never had a bit of an issue at port stops....people just waited or walked away depending on their preference. But in FLL, it really was set up as though you stay in this line until we snap your picture, then you can go onboard. If they force me to wait in the line, getting the photo snapped isn't mush of a time waster. Its the standing in line for something I do not care about that bothers me.

I might create a riot of line jumpers if I'm successful ;)

Edited by alwaysfrantic