How's the coffee on RC?

Hey y'all,

I'll be on my first RC cruise in less than a month, and I had a flashback of my two cruises spent with Carnival. I'm not an incredible coffee snob or anything, but found the coffee on Carnival to be downright awful. I ended up going to the onboard coffee shop several times and spending a good bit of cash to get some reasonable coffee.

As a result of those experiences and seeing some tips on what other people bring on their cruises, I've been considering bringing my own coffee, though I'd rather not bring more than neccessary. What did y'all think of RC's coffee?

Thanks!

It always tastes too strong and stale... I dilute it with half hot water, then add creamer and brown sugar. That makes it tolerable... Of all the things I miss about the ship after my cruise is over, their coffee is not one - I can't wait to get home and brew a fresh pot.:)

Basically, it tastes like coffee. What you would get at your local Denny's or whatever. I'm surprised at the description of it as too strong. I thought it was pretty standard. I've never had a problem with it on close to ten cruises. If you have gotten accustomed to Starbucks, you might prefer the Seattle's Best that you pay for at the coffee bar, but I never have.

Basically, it tastes like coffee. What you would get at your local Denny's or whatever. I'm surprised at the description of it as too strong. I thought it was pretty standard. I've never had a problem with it on close to ten cruises. If you have gotten accustomed to Starbucks, you might prefer the Seattle's Best that you pay for at the coffee bar, but I never have.

Wouldn't say I've become accustomed to Starbucks - I'm just looking for a regular cup of coffee, ya know?

From all of ya'lls responses so far, it sounds like it'll be fine for me. I'm fine with weak or strong coffee, so long as it tastes like coffee. Thanks everybody!

I was on the Spendour in October.. it was hit or miss on how bad it was..never great and made decent iced coffee.. but I travel with some of those Nescafe little instant coffee tubes just in case its really bad..I have had that awful coffee on Carnival.. and I am not a coffee snob at all..I love Dunkin Donuts and even 7-11 is good..but cruise ship coffee is just terrible

Speaking of coffee. What is considered "premium" coffee that is included in the Royal Replenish drink package? Would this be better than the regular coffee spoken of mostly in this thread? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I found another thread with this info, sorry for repost. Newbie learning through the CC app and could not figure out how to delete a post.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Everyone has different taste and an opinion –

I really do not like the coffee. I am a coffee drinker but generally go for hot tea on RCCL.

I do read of many who bring a French press and order hot water. If you really need coffee and are particular, this may be your option. I could never be bothered and hence, go for the hot tea.

enjoy

M

Not sure how other people's thumbs up or thumbs down to coffee taste should affect you.

It's all individual taste and preference!

You're right, it's all individual taste and preference... to an extent. All I'm saying is that on Carnival I had the worst coffee I've ever had. Not that I just didn't enjoy the flavor, but it was 100% objectively not good. So I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can expect from RC. From the responses so far it sounds like I'll be fine with what they have on board.

Just returned from a cruise in Dec. 2013.

Coffee on the Legend was changed sometime last year.

No longer Seattle's Best. Now "Royal" brand, 100% Arabica beans but a big step DOWN! in my opinion. Rather have Seattle's.

In the "pay for" shop it is an Italian brand, Illy. I did not try it...

I like strong coffee on the ships. Keep watch for a brewing pot and sneak a cup before it is done.

Maybe next cruise will be better, Will have "Diamond" privledges then...

Hamguy3

Personally I'm not a fan of Royal Caribbeans coffee. It's the Seattle's best brand but I always joke that it's Seattle's worst :p. If there is one thing I could change about royal caribbean it would be the coffee but I know many who think the coffee is fine. I did learn a trick at the end of my last cruise from someone else. She always orders hot water (for tea) with her coffee but uses the water to water down the coffee and then adds her sweetner and creamer. This made the coffee much more tolerable for me but I didn't learn the trick until the last day of the cruise. I leave this Saturday on a ten day cruise out of Baltimore so let's hope this trick get me through! :rolleyes: