BASIC drink package experience assistance

cruisegirl1

Seems all I read about the packages is that folks upgrade. Is there anyone who has not upgraded the basic alcohol package and can report their experience. I am finding it hard to read info about the basic package.

I finally have a booking that qualifies for the 123. I get two picks and selected the free gratuities and the beverage package. We have a 14 night port intensive cruise and I do not traditionally drink more than a drink or two each evening, so I am not inclined to upgrade to the premium package. I do like cappuccino type drinks.

After reading many of the threads of the packages, I wonder if there are any decent cocktails ( martini, margaritas, bloody marys that are included? I saw the MDR wine ( by the glass) list and there are a few under the limit that I might try. Is there anything within the limit at the wine cellar? Also I understand that cappuccinos type drinks at Café Al Bacio are also included,. How about those that have the splashes of alcohol?

Doing the math to decide if the OBC is a better choice than the drink package, for the 14 night cruise the OBC is only approx. 10 per person per day, barely enough for even one drink, hence the decision to get the package.

It seems that most everyone upgrades – which I hope not to do. I really don’t want to have to add another $300 to use the free benefit just to be able to drink a decent basic drink. We are wine drinkers and will likely order nice bottles of wine for dinner. We qualify for the Elite cocktails hours and the Elite breakfast.

Is there anyone who has not upgraded the basic alcohol package and can report their experience.

Thanks,

M

Seems all I read about the packages is that folks upgrade. Is there anyone who has not upgraded the basic alcohol package and can report their experience. I am finding it hard to read info about the basic package.

I finally have a booking that qualifies for the 123. I get two picks and selected the free gratuities and the beverage package. We have a 14 night port intensive cruise and I do not traditionally drink more than a drink or two each evening, so I am not inclined to upgrade to the premium package. I do like cappuccino type drinks.

After reading many of the threads of the packages, I wonder if there are any decent cocktails ( martini, margaritas, bloody marys that are included? I saw the MDR wine ( by the glass) list and there are a few under the limit that I might try. Is there anything within the limit at the wine cellar? Also I understand that cappuccinos type drinks at Café Al Bacio are also included,. How about those that have the splashes of alcohol?

Doing the math to decide if the OBC is a better choice than the drink package, for the 14 night cruise the OBC is only approx. 10 per person per day, barely enough for even one drink, hence the decision to get the package.

It seems that most everyone upgrades – which I hope not to do. I really don’t want to have to add another $300 to use the free benefit just to be able to drink a decent basic drink. We are wine drinkers and will likely order nice bottles of wine for dinner. We qualify for the Elite cocktails hours and the Elite breakfast.

Is there anyone who has not upgraded the basic alcohol package and can report their experience.

Thanks,

M

Some of the martinis in a smaller glass are included. I think the vodka ones are made with Skyy Vodka

You seem like you have a lot of experience cruising so I hope I am not repeating information you already have.

I am assuming you are sailing in Europe and qualify for 2 perks? If so, are you not booking with a cruise agency? They always give free gratuities as incentive. That would enable you to get both the package and the OBC, which could be used for a free drink upgrade.

To answer your question on the drink package. Our favorite bar on the ship was the martini bar, both for the ambiance and the drinks. The classic package would not work there and thus for us, the upgrade is important.

Cappuccinos and most espresso based coffee drinks are included in the classic package. A few of the coffees that have lots of ingredients are not included. But on some cruises they've included everything so the limit is not consistent.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39322013#post39322013

Most cocktails are included in the classic package. The pricing and the distinction often has more to do with the spirits used than the drink itself.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38720801#post38720801

However there are exceptions to this with the most notable drinks not included being the larger martinis at the martini bar and the special cocktails at the Molecular bar. There are a few other cocktails with more involved recipes here and there that might also be excluded. But most common cocktails such as the ones you mentioned are included if made with the spirits included in the classic package.

Here is a copy of the wine bar menu for a cruise last year for your review:

http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Cellar-Masters-Wine-Menu-Silhouette-Dec-2012-s.pdf

Quote doesn't seem to be working.

I've taken a back to back where the first leg I had the Premium package and on the second leg had the Classic package. You have nothing to worry about and no real need to upgrade. You can get plenty of good drinks on the Classic. As Lsimon mentioned it's more about the Top Shelf spirits that you can get on the Premium. I have 2 Celebrity cruises coming up in the next year with the Classic package and really don't plan on doing the upgrade. They are both on an M class ship without the Molecular bar. If I were on an S class I would probably upgrade because I like the Molecular bar experience.

You seem like you have a lot of experience cruising so I hope I am not repeating information you already have.

I am assuming you are sailing in Europe and qualify for 2 perks? If so, are you not booking with a cruise agency? They always give free gratuities as incentive. That would enable you to get both the package and the OBC, which could be used for a free drink upgrade.

To answer your question on the drink package. Our favorite bar on the ship was the martini bar, both for the ambiance and the drinks. The classic package would not work there and thus for us, the upgrade is important.

Thanks for your info. I will get a rather large OBC from my TA , but the point remains the same. I prefer not to have to add another $300 of it to fully enjoy the perk. Just trying to see if I will be satisfied with what is included.

Thanks, M

Thanks all - you have provided good info. Unfortunately from what I see with the info you have provided, I see several places and times when I'll just pay for a drink.

I am disappointed that Celebrity does not allow us to pay the difference to get a better drink/ wine/beer without requiring the upgrade first and then the difference.

As always, I appreciate the help.

M

ps - I am a "seasoned" cruiser but relatively new to Celebrity. The CC comments and advise has been so valuable in helping us get the most out of the Celebrity cruises.

m

We ARE drinkers, and cruised last December with another couple who are also drinkers on a Caribbean cruise. We stayed on the ship more than we went into port, so we used that drink package (that we paid for) extensively.

We are not high end wine connoisseurs, but Two Buck Chuck isn't going to make us happy. We do not insist on top shelf vodka, gin, etc, but we do prefer name brands. Depending on the on the drink, we'd be happy with the standard, no-call alcohol (like in a daiquiri or a bloody mary where you really can't taste the alcohol much anyway.)

I took the premium package, husband took the classic package. With the exception of one evening at the Martini Lounge, I easily could have easily been happy with the Classic menu. At the end of the week, I genuinely felt that I had wasted the money for the Premium package.

And when we sail on a 16 day Celebrity cruise in December, where the Classic package is included, we will NOT be upgrading. I agree, I wish they let us pay for the difference when we wanted a high end drink, but (as far as I know) none of the cruise lines with packages allow that.

Free gratuities as an incentive applies to the higher cost cabins. For those of us in the inside cabins or with just a window, the cruise agency isn't going to give those kinds of incentives.

Edited by jkgourmet

Also I understand that cappuccinos type drinks at Café Al Bacio are also included,. How about those that have the splashes of alcohol?

Yes, you can get a cappuccino, latte, etc. with a splash of alcohol, but there is a limited selection at the Cafe. If they don't have what you want, then I'm sure you could just stop by a bar and get a shot to add in. You can also request the same in the dining room.

We're Premium package holders ourselves because we prefer the expanded wine by the glass list, but keep in mind that if you plan to order wine by the bottle you may do better upgrading anyway since there is a 20% discount on wine by the bottle for Premium package holders. You could always upgrade only one of your packages to take advantage of this.

We have had 2 cruises with the classic package. My wife is a cosmo drinker and margaritas. I enjoy Kettle One screw drivers and margaritas and Frangelico with after dinner coffee. And we both have a Baileys on the rocks before turning in for the night, All are covered under classic.

We just did a 10-day on Equinox with Classic packages. DH doesn't drink alcohol; I do, but only a couple per day. We did, however, enjoy several coffees, sodas and fresh squeezed juices every day, and picked up bottled water often. I enjoyed the basic wines by the glass included in Classic, and re-discovered how much I like English-style hard cider (Strongbow was available with Classic.) We never felt the need to upgrade. It was nice to just have the cards swiped and not sign for anything.

We enjoyed the Classic package on our November Eclipse TA. We felt no need to upgrade because bar tenders and sommeliers gave us plenty of choice within the package. I would suggest trying for a day or two and then upgrading for the balance of the cruise if you cannot get the drinks you want.

Sheila

If you're on a ship with a Michael's Club 64 craft beer selection, most of the "good" beers are over $6.

The Molecular Bar--all cocktails are $12

The Martini Bar--Most are $10, but you can get regular drinks also--Gin and Tonic, Jack and Coke, etc. If you want the better booze in your drinks, like Pravda Vodka, premuim is the answer.

If you can do without any of the above, stay classic.

I enjoy a beer or two. Belong to 6 mug clubs and occassionally brew my own.

We had the premium on the Reflection and I was eager to try a few of the micro brews on board. Michaels was open very limited hours. Most times when I was in there. It was me the bartender, a server and the empty stools around me.

If anyone came in it was out of curiosity. They browsed around asked a few questions and left.

The problem I wound was the beer that they had all seemed funky as the turnover wasn't that great. Most times I tried a beer and ended up dumping it somewhere because it was off.

I wouldn't upgrade for those micro brews.

The Molecualr bar and Martini bar are quite a attraction and the drinks in the Molecular bar are unique but can't say they are any better than drinks available in the classic. Most of the Martini sound goodbut nothign stood out. You can get a premium Cosmo and Appletini under the classic but in a smaller glass. I understand that you can get all the others as a classic version using non premium liquors also in a smaller glass.

I plan on sticking with the classic for our next cruise.

🌅🌴🍸🍻

Just off the Century today; we had the classic package and did not upgrade. We had pomegranate Mohitos in the day, also Coronas, wine recommended by the wine steward with each dinner in the MDR, espresso drinks daily, and a couple of bottles of water each day. They swiped our cards and gave them back. No signing. No extra charges. We like Absolut, and that's included. Very happy!

The Hubby and I picked the gratuities for our 15 day Panama Canal cruise that we just returned from. It worked better for us. We don't really drink that much alcohol and we came out ahead on the gratuities. We were in a C-2 cabin which required $12.50 pp per day so it worked for us. If it's a shorting cruise then it would not work. If you had an inside cabin that would affect it as well.

It really is just a preference as to how much you drink during the cruise. If you can drink 8 drinks a day (or if it's just the convenience) that's all that really matters. Everyone is different. Happy Cruising!:D

Our favorite bar on the ship was the martini bar, both for the ambiance and the drinks. The classic package would not work there and thus for us, the upgrade is important.

I only drink gin martinis, and don't mind Beefeater. Can I get one of these in the martini bar on the Classic package? Or do they only serve fancy martinis priced over the classic pricelist?

Thanks all - I think we'll be fine with the classic package. If we want a better drink - we'll pay.

Seems every time I went to Café al Bacio or a bar, I was the only one signing a receipt.

I normally would not consider the package. as we drink wine with dinner, have the Elite happy hours many nights and can get specialty coffee and a limited selection of "breakfast" alcohol in the Elite breakfast. The last European cruise , we had a hard time making it to the elite happy hour, so now I don't have to rush. We'll have a few more sea days on the upcoming trip so I'll have time to enjoy a few specialty coffees or drinks during the day.

And - we had a selection of 2 of the 3 choices!

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

M

I only drink gin martinis, and don't mind Beefeater. Can I get one of these in the martini bar on the Classic package? Or do they only serve fancy martinis priced over the classic pricelist?

You can get that at every bar except the Molecular.

I've just completed my first Celebrity cruise on the Eclipse. I missed out on any offers of a beverage package so I purchased the Classic. It covered most drinks I wanted, but I struggled to find prices for drinks so I think I could have probably been more adventurous if I had the price information to hand.

Each bar had a short menu of just a small selection of available drinks. If I wanted anything not listed I had to ask if it was available and whether it was included in the Classic package. The answer differed depending on who I asked which confused me even more. I twice asked at the Martini bar whether any of the Martinis were available on the package and was told no. I have read on this forum that some bartenders offer to make smaller versions but this was not suggested. Also, the Martini bar have Social Hour Martinis between set times priced at $5.5, but they are only available for the Premium beverage package, they are not available to anyone else.

Overall I found a good selection of cocktails were available, a small but good choice of wine by the glass, and most beers. I really enjoyed visits to Café al Bacio and also the bonus of the availability of a speciality coffee after dinner in the MDR. I do not think I would want to cruise again without a package if it was available. But if I was given the Classic as a perk I would definitely upgrade for the wider choice and less stress over trying to find the prices.

Thanks,

M

I had the classic package in June 13 under one of the 123 promotions and decided to keep it classic. I was one of those that thought that would need to upgrade but the bartender at one of the pool bars told me to give it couple of days before deciding (and so did my husband). I am glad I did. The classic covered all my needs. There were nice cocktails covered under the classic and when I wanted a cosmo, I would ask for a Ketel One cosmo (ketel one was covered under classic). When asking for rum and cokes I would call out the brand (bacardi, cp morgan, etc) otherwise you get their house spirits.

I overcaffeinated under this package because I would have a couple of lattes in the AM, one of the organic teas in the afternoon and I would cap the night with an Aspen Coffee (it would have esspresso, kahlua, bayleys and something else).

Only thing I could not get under the classic were the fancy martinis but I don't really care for them and the one I miss was pellegrino but that was not worth the upgrade to me.

I am sailing in March again with the package and I will keep it classic again.

I hope this helps