Neptune Suites & complimentary bottled water

zelker

How do they limit access to the Neptune "lounge"? Is it staffed? Key Card?

Because there are far fewer Neptune Suites on the "S" and "R" Class ships, the concierges recognize faces/names within a few hours of boarding. They look at the photos taken at check in and almost every cruise, the first time we enter Neptune Lounge they address us by name. :) They are quite amazing at that.

On the Vista and Signature Class ships, you need your key card to enter Neptune Lounge and even with so many more Neptune/Pinnacle Suites, they learn our names and faces Very quickly.

In addition to the concierges who, but for very brief times away from their desk, are present and there is often a Pinnacle Grill Steward. (S)he also recognizes the folks who come in and out of Neptune Lounge. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We are among those who think the water delicious on all the HAL ships.

We always use the complimentary bottle of whatever brand water they provide included in our fare but only occassionally purchase another. I'm happy to fill a glass with ice from the bucket and use tap water and I'm a big water drinker.

Agree...I've never needed bottled water on HAL.

I've read that some people have successfully swapped their sparkling wine for a bottle of regular wine so we'll likely do the same. We both preferred still water too so will see if we can get our steward to switch out the sparkling for us as well.

Last cruise we took the sparkling wine to the dining room where our wine steward exchanged the "gift" wine for a drinkable wine, and we paid the price difference.

Congratulations on your upgrade.

Last cruise we took the sparkling wine to the dining room where our wine steward exchanged the "gift" wine for a drinkable wine, and we paid the price difference.

I just take it to the Neptune Lounge and the concierge exchanges it for me. I try to do it first thing when I get onboard.

Both great suggestions. Thanks!

Edited by zelker

We have done that but we asked the Concierge to send the bottle to our wine steward so we wouldn't have to carry with us to whichever lounge for our pre-dinner cocktails.

We have done that but we asked the Concierge to send the bottle to our wine steward so we wouldn't have to carry with us to whichever lounge for our pre-dinner cocktails.

Great idea - wish I would have thought of that.

DaveOKC

In the past we've always received the bottle of sparkling wine in our Deluxe (now Neptune) suites. Now, on HAL's site, under Neptune suites it says:

"Complimentary sparkling wine served in the Neptune Lounge upon embarkation"

Is this the new normal? If so, I guess we no longer need to worry about trading it in for something better...

Edited by DSLibrarian

When we aren't in the PS, whatever sparkling wine we get, we just take it to the concierge as well and trade it in for something better -- of course paying the extra for the better wine.

I am going to do this on our March cruise. We really don't like the 'sparkling wine' anyway and we will have a set-up in the suite for our friends at sail-away. They are beer, wine and liquor drinkers. If we can get another bottle of corkage-free wine for dinner we will go for it.

Dennis

In the past we've always received the bottle of sparkling wine in our Deluxe (now Neptune) suites. Now, on HAL's site, under Neptune suites it says:

Is this the new normal? If so, I guess we no longer need to worry about trading it in for something better...

We only had this once in past 2 years. The three cruises after that had the wine in the cabin. I guess it varies by ship.

DaveOKC

On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, Neptune Suites stopped by the Neptune Lounge to get a glass of sparkling wine.

It does vary by ship.

I am going to do this on our March cruise. We really don't like the 'sparkling wine' anyway and we will have a set-up in the suite for our friends at sail-away. They are beer, wine and liquor drinkers. If we can get another bottle of corkage-free wine for dinner we will go for it.

Dennis

How wonderful of you to order alcohol for your friends for sailaway.

Can't be certain if you will get a bottle of sparkling wine or not -- it varies by ship. Some ships you get a glass of it in the Neptune Lounge.

I only remember one cruise out of over 80 that we did not receive some sort of sparkling wine or champagne as Welcome Aboard gift from Hotel Manager (Director) and Captain.

We remember when we first started sailing HAL, we'd be delighted to find a nice bottle of 'real champagne' chilling in the ice bucket when we arrived. Though we don't drink the current sparkling wine we are always appreciative of the gesture. We think it a lovely courtesy and the gesture makes us feel welcome. :)

In October on the Eurodam, there was a welcoming glass of sparking wine in the Neptune Lounge as well as a bottle from the Captain and H.M. in the cabin.

Ditto for us on the Maasdam in 2012, and for friends of ours in 2013. There were glasses in the Neptune and 2 bottles in the room. One was from HAL.