Princess Secrets 2014!!!

lw4484

Do you get anything special when you travel with Princess for your anniversary?

We're doing so (first time with Princess) and just wondering if we can expect any little extra treat, or not!

They put balloons and a sign on your door and give you a cake at dinner. We usually eat in the Crown Grill on special occasions (and ordinary ones too).

Just got off the Star cruise to Hawaii and discovered you can get papaya for breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the Horizon Court, you just have to ask for it at the counter near the soups. It Isn't out with the other fruit such as watermelon, pinapple, and melon. We also saw someone asking for shrimp one night and they had a breaded shrimp behind the counter so we asked for some too, very strange. We started calling it Princess secret food.

Just got off the Star cruise to Hawaii and discovered you can get papaya for breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the Horizon Court, you just have to ask for it at the counter near the soups. It Isn't out with the other fruit such as watermelon, pinapple, and melon. We also saw someone asking for shrimp one night and they had a breaded shrimp behind the counter so we asked for some too, very strange. We started calling it Princess secret food.

Good tips thanks. We ordered papaya every morning in the dining room. Very good with a squeeze of lime. And if you like shrimp you can order it in addition to your entree at both Sabatini's and the Crown Grill. Munch on.

On the Grand too and I loved their uniforms. We had a pair that was unused to the job and kept dropping cookies and spilling milk. Still no use crying over it (spilled milk that is).;)[/quote

;) life is too short to cry over spilled milk. I have heard the entertainment was not all that great on Princess, care to give us a review on that?

Originally Posted by Mjtaz View Post

No cost. I requested it on the Princess site on the Personalizer. I believe it asked if I wanted 1, 2 or 3 gallons. Plus I got an email confirming it! Hope it works out that smooth anyway!! It has on other lines, so I'm confident it will this time, too!

Since I don't cruise until March 6th, I can't say for certain how the water comes. I do know that on Royal Caribbean they brought it in a sealed gallon jug just like you would get at home. I don't see why it wouldn't be drinkable!

Sealed 1 gal jug was in our room on our 7 Dec cruise on Caribbean Princess for DH CPAP needs.

When you think of everything that goes on putting on a single cruise, I find it absolutely AMAZING what a good job everyone at Princess does and how generally inexpensive it is to cruise.

A cruise ship can be worth 1 Billion Dollars

All the head office and shoreside staff.

All the staff and crew onboard.

Fuel costs.

Port costs.

Ships Pilots.

All the food & Alcohol (pizza and ice cream too).

Maintenance, insurance, mandatory inspections.

It seems to me most hotels cost more than a night on a cruise ship and almost nothing "comes with" the hotel and the hotel DOESN'T MOVE!

I always keep this in mind while onboard. As we just got onboard Island Princess last june we walked past the main desk heading to see our Plaza deck room. I haven't been able to get the voice of a screaming lady out of my head ever since as we walked by "I PAID FOR ADJOINING ROOMS BLAH BLAHBLAH BAHBLAH". All I could think was "Not the way to successfully resolve a problem"!

Sorry, a bit off topic I guess....

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I found this funny as I have been using this for years and then I was on the Star at least on Caribe Deck both Port and Starboard were identical. Room Steward knew about it but had no idea why they changed but maybe they had excess carpet of one design and used it up when carpet was replaced.

I noticed this on Star and was told that it was because of the fire onboard that they didn't have the proper colors.I was also told that they were changing it back on the next drydock.

When you think of everything that goes on putting on a single cruise, I find it absolutely AMAZING what a good job everyone at Princess does and how generally inexpensive it is to cruise.

Fuel costs.

Port costs.

Ships Pilots.

It seems to me most hotels cost more than a night on a cruise ship and almost nothing "comes with" the hotel and the hotel DOESN'T MOVE!

I always keep this in mind while onboard. As we just got onboard Island Princess last june we walked past the main desk heading to see our Plaza deck room. I haven't been able to get the voice of a screaming lady out of my head ever since as we walked by "I PAID FOR ADJOINING ROOMS BLAH BLAHBLAH BAHBLAH". All I could think was "Not the way to successfully resolve a problem"!

Sorry, a bit off topic I guess....

Terry

And hotels dont turn over all the rooms in a morning. Hotels make you wait till 3pm with only partial turnover. I am always amazed at how cruise ships manage it and always disappointed in the poor service at most hotels. Cruise ships are a bargain at every level.

For OBC buy 100 shares of carnival stock. Buy FCCs while on a cruise. Ask about the credit available to veterans. Book with a TA who offers credits.

Doris,

Maybe you can help me here. I bought stock so I can do the OBC but I cant seem to get an answer about what I need for proof. I have no certificates but I can print out my portfolio report that shows CCL 100 shares. Do you know if that works for them? Also do you know a phone number besides Princess main number (which does not get you to speak to someone who really knows the answer) that you can call for help on this issue? I thought this would be easy, but is turning out to be a real pain.

Doris,

Maybe you can help me here. I bought stock so I can do the OBC but I cant seem to get an answer about what I need for proof. I have no certificates but I can print out my portfolio report that shows CCL 100 shares. Do you know if that works for them? Also do you know a phone number besides Princess main number (which does not get you to speak to someone who really knows the answer) that you can call for help on this issue? I thought this would be easy, but is turning out to be a real pain.

I'm not Doris but I feel your pain having gone through it and sending it twice before I finally got it taken care of.

Here is a link to the form you need to fill out and fax or send in with the proof.

http://www.*************.com/forms/PCLShareholderBenefit.pdf

It lists forms of proof that you can use including a portfolio account statement. Don't forget to black out personal info (ss#, total worth, etc.) before sending it to them.

Once it is approved you will see it on your reservation as an OBC.

When you call ask for customer service. They helped me immensely.

Good luck.

Edited by Kentskie

Doris,

Print out your portfolio statement 30 days out. Be sure to use a marker to cover any personal info or account numbers. There is a form from Princess to fill out. Available online. Print out the form, fill the info in, attach a copy of your portfolio report showing the CCL stock and the date of the report and mail or fax to the address on the Princess form. Usually shows up on your Voyage Personalizer OBC in a few days or so.:D

Here is a link to the form.

Sorry, link did not work. Google Carnival Shareholder Benefits Request Form and you should find it. If not, your TA would surely be able to help.

Edited by Jim Avery

Fuel costs.

Port costs.

Ships Pilots.

Just to counter this argument (although I agree, a cruise ship is a fantastic deal compared to a hotel), the hotel has many costs that the cruise ship does not, usually due to local laws.

Hotels in most countries must pay a minimum wage to their employees that is far higher than the wages paid on a cruise ship. Additionally, these employees only work about half the hours per day that cruise ship employees work.

Hotels must pay for various benefits (Obamacare, retirement savings, etc.) that cruise ships do not. Cruise ships do offer some medical care, but at a significantly reduced cost from what is required on land in the US.

Hotels must pay property taxes that are usually quite significant. Cruise lines register their ships in countries that have few to no taxes on those ships.

Hotels may be victims of natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, storms.hurricanes. etc.) that a cruise ship can usually avoid. This makes a huge difference in insurance and repair costs.

I'm not saying that this is right or wrong (I don't want to get into a political discussion) but there are reasons why hotels cost significantly more than cruise ships.

Edited by helenb

Hotels may be victims of natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, storms.hurricanes. etc.) that a cruise ship can usually avoid. This makes a huge difference in insurance and repair costs.

All valid points except I would have a hard time imaging that a Hotel generally faces more likelihood of disaster than a Cruise Ship does. Anything that moves has to be more subject to potential disaster.

Terry

[Princess does still have a limited number of bridge tours.

We received an invitation to take one.

LuLu

~~~ [/size][/font]

I have heard that recently they only allow bridge tours when the ship is tied up in port. No more touring while the ship is sailing. Is/was your tour in port or when at sea?

We have had some wonderful tours at sea, and though it is interesting in port, nothing beats actually being under way.

We were just on the Grand, 3Feb to HI. We signed up for the Ultimate Ship Tour $150/person when we got on board at the pursers desk. We liked it as it took us back stage of the Princess Theater, took pics with some dancers and had a m&g with the production manager. Then on to the anchor room where we saw the anchors and lines that go to the dock. Informative m&g with one of the crew. Then on to the M1 (the main corridor on the 4th deck). Then on the to engine room and got to ask all our questions about the workings of a "city" on the ocean. Saw where the Patter was printed and all the pictures taken during the cruise. We saw where all the food is kept for the duration of the cruise, then food prep in the galley and finally up to the bridge where we had champagne and canapés with the Captain. It was a beautiful day and got to see for miles. Later on we received in our rooms, two plush Princess bathrobes, aprons, group pictures of our different stops and two pic frames. Oh also personalized note pads. Each stop had a Q&A and very informative. I was really amazed at the galley and the cleanliness of it. It was expensive but worth if for one time. Hey we were on vacation.:D BTW only done on sea days.

Edited by Keikidoc

I have heard that recently they only allow bridge tours when the ship is tied up in port. No more touring while the ship is sailing. Is/was your tour in port or when at sea?

We have had some wonderful tours at sea, and though it is interesting in port, nothing beats actually being under way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

We were just on the Grand, 3Feb to HI. We signed up for the Ultimate Ship Tour $150/person when we got on board at the pursers desk. We liked it as it took us back stage of the Princess Theater, took pics with some dancers and had a m&g with the production manager. Then on to the anchor room where we saw the anchors and lines that go to the dock. Informative m&g with one of the crew. Then on to the M1 (the main corridor on the 4th deck). Then on the to engine room and got to ask all our questions about the workings of a "city" on the ocean. Saw where the Patter was printed and all the pictures taken during the cruise. We saw where all the food is kept for the duration of the cruise, then food prep in the galley and finally up to the bridge where we had champagne and canapés with the Captain. It was a beautiful day and got to see for miles. Later on we received in our rooms, two plush Princess bathrobes, aprons, group pictures of our different stops and two pic frames. Oh also personalized note pads. Each stop had a Q&A and very informative. I was really amazed at the galley and the cleanliness of it. It was expensive but worth if for one time. Hey we were on vacation.:D BTW only done on sea days.

======================================

We did not do the Ultimate Ship's Tour.

This was just an invitation to do a Bridge Tour from the Captain which was on our last AT SEA day.

I have no clue why we got this or how to go about getting one. We never requested a Bridge Tour.

LuLu

~~~~

======================================

We did not do the Ultimate Ship's Tour.

This was just an invitation to do a Bridge Tour from the Captain which was on our last AT SEA day.

I have no clue why we got this or how to go about getting one. We never requested a Bridge Tour.

LuLu

~~~~

Were you in a top category suite, or are you in top category Captain's Circle?

On some cruise lines (not sure about Princess), they regularly offer this perk. If not enough that qualify request it, perhaps they extend invitation's to all that qualify??