How far is too far? NOROVIRUS

Are we supposed to enable the overdone fear? These Noro threads are getting out of hand and honestly, I'm not entirely sure the OP is serious or just trying to stir the pot. Can you honestly tell me that you don't think the OP's questions were a little over the top?

Just sayin..... people are too easily offended by things posted online by anonymous people who have no impact on their lives unless they allow it. Others are too gullible.

For goodness sakes get over yourself :p

While many people will take the opportunity to berate and ridicule the OP for what is, really, not such a crazy question, and I would not do all of those things listed, I think it is hard to argue that that is at least practicing keeping a clean environment and clean habits.

I have seen guests use gloves and masks before. You would not be the first. Wrapped silverware is easily obtained from the Windjammer. If you feel more comfortable taking a set to dinner, go right ahead.

In college we used to keep squeeze bottles of Pedialyte. Talk about a hangover cure. Loaded with electrolytes. Think of it as strong Gatorade. I never thought to bring on a cruise in case of stomach illness but that is a good idea. When you are sick, no matter which end it is coming from, you become very, very dehydrated.

You can also try to be aware of your drinks and making sure to drink from straws. That's not something I probably often remember to do either but it's another simple *tweak* that can help.

Ignore anyone who puts you down for asking a question.

Edit: And, of course, PROPER hand washing. That means lathering with plenty of soap and agitating hands, then a good rinse, and don't touch the door handles leaving bathrooms with bare hands. My own opinion based on anecdotal evidence is people that drench themselves in sanitizer gel tend to get sick more often.

for stating what everyone else has already suggested on these boards, and just curious where do you get your information from????...." people that drench themselves in sanitizer gel tend to get sick more often"....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

for stating what everyone else has already suggested on these boards, and just curious where do you get your information from????...." people that drench themselves in sanitizer gel tend to get sick more often"....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I said MY OWN OPINION BASED ON ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. Very clearly stated that.

Edited by LMaxwell

One thing that might be helpful but not intrude on your fun is to take a small pack of travel antibacterial wipes.

When you first get to your cabin wipe the door handles, phone and tv remote control.

There will probably be a few left to use on any other surface you think of on the cruise. I wipe the outside of library books and keyboards of public computers sometimes on a cruise that is having a problem. Don't know with scientific certainty that it helps but have never had noro.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In protecting an elderly parent from (or comforting after) Norovirus on a cruise, how far is too far? :confused:

Drinking only from sealed cartons? Yeah maybe, might help. When we're away we always drink out of a bottle when on land - never drink the water on land in port.

Eating with gloved hands in the dining room? I suppose it could help but its a little overkill. Instead, wash your hands really well before going into the MDR and after you are finished with your menu, use a good hand sanitizer before eating.

Using a separate pair of gloves to serve yourself (like in the buffet areas)? Go to the MDR for your meals if you're that concerned.

Carrying your own silverware to the dining room in a wrap? Overkill big time. The silverware is clean when it is put on your table.

Carrying Immodium onboard for symptoms, even though you NEVER (in years) have suffered diarrhea? What about powdered pedialyte? **This stuff is expensive for "just in case". We bring Pepto, milk of magnesia, ant-acids stuff like that. Ginger tea is a good option too to help quell an queasy stomach.

How safe would it be during an outbreak to drink from the glasses in the dining room? If there is an outbreak the ship goes into super anal mode. I would use the glasses.

I'm asking because I want to be extra prepared but have never been through the situation before.

Hope this helps. Look, you can't hide and I don't think you want to so here's a few tips we follow. 13 cruises and counting with no Noro yet (knock on wood)

1. Don't use public washroom on the ship unless absolutely necessary. If you do, use a paper towel to open the door or work the flush. Wash your hands extremely well afterwards.

2. Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer everywhere. Use it just before you eat, be it at the WJ or MDR and even if you have just washed your hands.

3. Those nice fruity drinks are great but discard the pineapple or any other garnish they put on the side of the glass. DW got food poisoning off a bad piece of pineapple.

4. Avoid handrails if you can safely do so - use hand sanitizer afterwards if you must.

5. Use elbows to press elevator buttons

6. If in a public washroom, use your foot to lift up the toilet lid.

7. If you have just shook hands with someone, avoid touching your face until you've had a chance to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer.

8. Use the tongs in the WJ buffet

9. Flying in the day before the cruise you should be especially careful. My guess is many cases of Noro occur from people picking it up on the way to the ship. So wash your hands frequently and well.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Whoever said they guarantee only the waiter has touched your silverware:

Are you serious?? They removed it from the dishwasher??

And you know with certainty they sanitized their hands??

C'mon now....don't be so naive.

I have personally witnessed a cook in the WJ wipe his nose, pick up the tongs and start moving food around.

And yes, I reported it immediately to a supervisor.

Whoever said they guarantee only the waiter has touched your silverware:

Are you serious?? They removed it from the dishwasher??

And you know with certainty they sanitized their hands??

C'mon now....don't be so naive.

I have personally witnessed a cook in the WJ wipe his nose, pick up the tongs and start moving food around.

And yes, I reported it immediately to a supervisor.

When we took a tour of the galley on the Diamond Princess, each person had to wash their hands before venturing into the galley.

I still think OP is trying to stir the pot. OP hasn't been seen since. OP also posted about bringing their own silverware on another thread about noro.

Edited by BND

FWIW my elderly mother in law gets noro-like sicknesses all on her own about every 2 years. Doesn't need a cruise at all to do it! She makes it worse by being too embarrassed to call anyone, so she deals with it on her own for 4 days without eating or drinking (fun for her blood sugar) and then calls 911. If she got it on a cruise ship with immediate assistance and a stateroom host who would notice if she didn't go out for a day, honestly I think she would do better.

Eating with gloved hands in the dining room?

Using a separate pair of gloves to serve yourself (like in the buffet areas)?

So...what exactly would that do for you?

If something is on the gloves it will go wherever your hands go. I suppose it keeps you from putting anything onto your face that you might have touched, but isn't it easier to just not touch your face?

Well, unless you had many pairs of gloves and were able to take them off without touching fingers to the contaminated parts of the gloves, and then switching repeatedly. From tong to tong, changing the gloves. And of course how are you moving your plate without getting what's on the gloves on the plate?

It's like the logic of Subway employees who keep one pair of gloves for multiple sandwiches, and touching their hair, the register, etc etc in between. They might be safe from the mayonnaise but you aren't safe from whatever they might be touching.

I said MY OWN OPINION BASED ON ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. Very clearly stated that.

I definitely noticed that.

6. If in a public washroom, use your foot to lift up the toilet lid.

Aw come on. If you're going to wash your hands, deal with the toilet with your hands instead of disgusting shoes.

After successfully avoiding Noro on 49 cruises, number 50 bit me on the hind end. I have never been so sick.

It is very true that you can get Noro at home. The difference is, at home you have access to your own bed, own docs, own toilet, etc.

The biggest lesson for me is that I will never cruise in anything other than a room with a balcony. If I couldn't have gotten some fresh air, I don't know what I would have done.

I always take Handi-wipes and wipe down the table in the Windjammer before setting anything down on it. I always use hand sanitizer or a wipe after holding a menu, using the computers onboard, etc. I also try to use the toilet in my room whenever possible, avoiding the public restrooms if I can. I try not to use the handrails.

You know all those threads asking "what would you like to see on a cruise ship?". Well, I wish they'd post people in the public bathrooms to slap the living crap out of people who can't be bothered to wash their hands. (Waving my hands in the air, volunteering! :p )

Definitely OTT.

I have done four long cruises with my 88 yo Dad. Two of them had up to 80 cases of Noro a day.

We wash hands in soapy water and use the hand sanitiser at every available station.

Never have had a problem. (touch wood).

Raina