How far is too far? NOROVIRUS

In protecting an elderly parent from (or comforting after) Norovirus on a cruise, how far is too far? :confused:

Drinking only from sealed cartons?

Eating with gloved hands in the dining room?

Using a separate pair of gloves to serve yourself (like in the buffet areas)?

Carrying your own silverware to the dining room in a wrap?

Carrying Immodium onboard for symptoms, even though you NEVER (in years) have suffered diarrhea? What about powdered pedialyte? **This stuff is expensive for "just in case".

How safe would it be during an outbreak to drink from the glasses in the dining room?

I'm asking because I want to be extra prepared but have never been through the situation before.

In protecting an elderly parent from (or comforting after) Norovirus on a cruise, how far is too far? :confused:

Carrying Immodium onboard for symptoms, even though you NEVER (in years) have suffered diarrhea? What about powdered pedialyte? **This stuff is expensive for "just in case".

How safe would it be during an outbreak to drink from the glasses in the dining room?

I'm asking because I want to be extra prepared but have never been through the situation before.

You could draw the blinds, lock the doors and never leave the house....:rolleyes:

Drinking only from sealed cartons? Won't help if an infected person touched the carton first.

Eating with gloved hands in the dining room? Nobody has had access to touch or breathe on your plate before the waiter brings it out. This could be helpful in WJ.

Using a separate pair of gloves to serve yourself (like in the buffet areas)? this may be helpful as WJ is where a lot of surfaces would be contaminated by unthoughtful people

Carrying your own silverware to the dining room in a wrap? In the MDR, the only person that has touched your silverware is your waiter/assistant waiter. And you can bet they've sanitized their hands.

Carrying Immodium onboard for symptoms, even though you NEVER (in years) have suffered diarrhea? What about powdered pedialyte? **This stuff is expensive for "just in case". Bringing your own fever reducer and diarrhea meds is a good idea, even without the threat of Noro

How safe would it be during an outbreak to drink from the glasses in the dining room? Those glasses have been through the dishwashing machine. Noro wouldn't survive that heat! Again, its your waiter/assistant waiter that touched the stem of that glass setting the table.

How far is too far?

All of the above! :rolleyes:

1. Wash hands with warm water and soap for 2 minutes after each trip to the restroom and prior to eating. (avoid touching surfaces in the bathroom - use a paper towel)

2. Avoid fellow passengers who cough and/or sneeze on or near food.

3. Enjoy your cruise and don't worry!!! The chance of contracting Norwalk are quite low.

We have cruised 13 times with up to 110 ppl in our group and never once have any

of us got sick on the ship or immeditaley after. I know there is always the potential but I have had it many times in the past when my kids would get it or when exposed to a sick kid at work ,even though I wash my hands all the time. It is miserable but usually only lasts a day or two.

They are just as likely to catch it from their shopping cart at the grocery store, or touching the pews in church, or from their grandkids...even moreso, than on a ship!

Normal, commonsense hygeine is the best preventative. If they DO catch it, that's what the medical center is for...they will help.

Carrying Immodium onboard for symptoms, even though you NEVER (in years) have suffered diarrhea? I'm asking because I want to be extra prepared but have never been through the situation before.

We bring a small zip lock of over the counter meds on every trip - land or sea. Never know when symptoms of whatever might hit.

Stay well

M

I'd bring the medicine and forget the rest. So many restrictions would really hurt the fun element in your vacation. Remind her to wash her hands.

If your elderly parent is like my mother-in-law, she may not cooperate with all the restrictions anyway.

It's so weird, because on our first few cruises, we didn't worry about Norovirus. No gel stations, and no constant reminders to wash your hands. But in those days, we weren't keeping track of which ship got norovirus.

Edited by knittinggirl

Normal precautions - hand washing. Otherwise - maybe just use MDR and your cabin bathroom. Health insurance a given for anyone. There is a fine line between being careful and obsessive.

The Explorer outbreak sure has set off the worriers. As has been stated over and over and over again is that you are more likely to catch noro on land than on a cruise ship. In fact, there have been outbreaks all over the country in nursing homes, schools, churches, etc this year. But, you don't hear much about them because CNN doesn't think they're as exciting as a cruise ship. They do make local news, but most people just ignore it unless it's about an "infected" cruise ship.

I sure don't get some of your questions. What is the problem with drinking out of glasses in the MDR?

Here's an idea. Wash your hands, don't touch your face and enjoy your vacation.

I wonder how some people go anywhere.

While many people will take the opportunity to berate and ridicule the OP for what is, really, not such a crazy question, and I would not do all of those things listed, I think it is hard to argue that that is at least practicing keeping a clean environment and clean habits.

I have seen guests use gloves and masks before. You would not be the first. Wrapped silverware is easily obtained from the Windjammer. If you feel more comfortable taking a set to dinner, go right ahead.

In college we used to keep squeeze bottles of Pedialyte. Talk about a hangover cure. Loaded with electrolytes. Think of it as strong Gatorade. I never thought to bring on a cruise in case of stomach illness but that is a good idea. When you are sick, no matter which end it is coming from, you become very, very dehydrated.

You can also try to be aware of your drinks and making sure to drink from straws. That's not something I probably often remember to do either but it's another simple *tweak* that can help.

Ignore anyone who puts you down for asking a question.

Edit: And, of course, PROPER hand washing. That means lathering with plenty of soap and agitating hands, then a good rinse, and don't touch the door handles leaving bathrooms with bare hands. My own opinion based on anecdotal evidence is people that drench themselves in sanitizer gel tend to get sick more often.

Edited by LMaxwell

Just today I had to use the restroom in a local store. When I walked in, there was a woman standing there holding a young boys hand. I would guess he was around 4 to 5 yrs old. As it turned out, I was at the sink washing my hands, when the woman led the little boy, straight out of the restroom. She did not let him wash his hands, nor did she wash hers.

If parents Can't, or Don't, teach their children to Always wash their hands before leaving a restroom, I just don't understand. Is it any wonder we see so many "adults" not washing up? :eek:

None of that is needed. You are being sucked in by the hype. Norovirus is one of the most common ailments in the country. Everybody has had it at one time or another long before going on a cruise ship. The Norovirus gets on the ship because people bring it onboard. With people so close on the ship, it can spread quickly if routine cleaning procedures are not followed.

It is spread by contact. Just wash your hands often, use the hand disinfectant, avoid touching your face with your hands among other simple prevention steps. With these steps, the odds are that you will not get infected even if it is going through the ship.

LMaxwell, kudos for a very level headed, even toned answer. You were right on point. There are many sarcastic answers on these boards and a lot of times I just shake my head (and sometimes laugh out loud but maybe more head shaking). Just sayin...

LMaxwell, kudos for a very level headed, even toned answer. You were right on point. There are many sarcastic answers on these boards and a lot of times I just shake my head (and sometimes laugh out loud but maybe more head shaking). Just sayin...

Are we supposed to enable the overdone fear? These Noro threads are getting out of hand and honestly, I'm not entirely sure the OP is serious or just trying to stir the pot. Can you honestly tell me that you don't think the OP's questions were a little over the top?

Just sayin..... people are too easily offended by things posted online by anonymous people who have no impact on their lives unless they allow it. Others are too gullible.

Edited by BND

Are we supposed to enable the overdone fear? These Noro threads are getting out of hand and honestly, I'm not entirely sure the OP is serious or just trying to stir the pot. Can you honestly tell me that you don't think the OP's questions were a little over the top?

Are we enabling fear or answering questions? Answering questions. Over the top? Perhaps. But it is still easier and more useful to answer the question both for the benefit of OP as well as anyone else who may not have asked but be curious. A lot of the responses on this thread are a pretty good reason why I think a lot of people read but comparatively few post; they don't want to be put down for just asking a question.

I think if you're sitting there analyzing whether a question is legitimate or a gag or whatever that perhaps this forum is getting to YOU? You need a drink of the day STAT; book a cruise now! :cool:

Like I said, I haven't or won't do a lot of the things OP asked about, but if someone were to do some, all, or a combination of those things they DO increase their odds of remaining healthy.

There are far more inane topics on here for sure. Answer where you can help out, pass by where you can't, take peoples opinions with a grain of salt...and some lime...and some tequila; hey, didja book that cruise yet?!?