Can I pop into Venice before the ship leaves?

ginarowan

Am booked on the Ventura flying into vce . Wd I have time to pop into vce for a couple of hours whistle stop tour? And if so what's the most easiest and cost effective way of getting there? Waterbus? Where wd I pick one up? Are they at the port ?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

It would be helpful if you told us what time your flight arrives in Venice and when your ship is scheduled to sail (remember that you should be on board 90 minutes before the ship sails).

You should also check out your Roll Call to see what others are doing. But we can't help you to get to that area of board until we have more information.

We don't know what time your flight is scheduled to arrive but you should keep in mind you have to collect your luggage and clear Immigration. That can take varying amounts of time.

Also....... if you haven't been lost in Venice, you haven't been to Venice. :D

IF you do go ashore, keep a close eye on the time as it is very easy to take wrong turns and get very lost, very fast. Without any time constraints, that is part of the beauty and fun of Venice, at least for us. :)

You do not give us much info but here is a capsule summary of the situation. If you are flying into Marco Polo Airport you will have to wait to claim your luggage and clear customs/immigration. This will normally take about 40 min. You then are stuck with your luggage and that is a priority. So you would probably want to go to the port which takes about 20-25 min via a car or bus. At that point you need to drop your luggage and you will probably want to check-in for your cruise. From the port it is about a 10 min stroll over to the People Mover which will take you over to the Piazale Roma for 1 Euro per person. Once at the P. Roma you can walk throughout Venice or use the Vaporettos to get around. But keep in mind you will have to be back to your ship at some point, and if your ship is leaving Venice that same day you will likely be required to be back onboard at least an hour before departure for the boat drill.

I should add that unless you check-in and get onboard when you arrive at the port you are still stuck with your carry-on luggage/valuables.

Hank

Thank you all so far for your helpful advice. We arrive at MP at 1045, we were planning on checking in on board from 12:00. Get changed, then find the easiest and most cost effective way of a very brief visit. All I want to do at this stage is St Marks Sq. A couple of bridges, a few pics, then head back. Nothing too indepth this time. Ship sails 830pm. I've heard Water Taxis are mega expensive, but Ferry 1 vaporetto? has been suggested. Where do I get them from? and the cost?

Thank you all so far for your helpful advice. We arrive at MP at 1045, we were planning on checking in on board from 12:00. Get changed, then find the easiest and most cost effective way of a very brief visit. All I want to do at this stage is St Marks Sq. A couple of bridges, a few pics, then head back. Nothing too indepth this time. Ship sails 830pm. I've heard Water Taxis are mega expensive, but Ferry 1 vaporetto? has been suggested. Where do I get them from? and the cost?

The people mover will take you to Piazale Roma, then there is a really short walk to the vaporetto station to purchase a day pass to hop on hop off.

The #1 has fewer stops along the grand canal but St. Marks is one of them and the Rialto and Bridge of Sighs are within easy walking distance. I loved using the public vaporetto system to get around.

Here is a link to some maps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vaporetto+stops&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FuP0UvOKNqvW2wXHwYGoCA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=726

ETA: don't forget to have your vap pass validated before boarding at each stop.

Edited by okgirl

Assuming your plan to get on board the ship that quickly works out, you may want to consider walking to St Marks https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Venice,+Italy&daddr=St.+Mark%27s+Square,+Venice,+Italy&hl=en&ll=45.437626,12.327282&spn=0.012346,0.033023&sll=45.437008,12.326488&sspn=0.012346,0.033023&geocode=FU9ftQIde-u7ACmJPdbx2rF-RzEvEJK98Majew%3BFTdFtQIdKEW8ACEb9v9ElrvQAimJhEFu17F-RzEb9v9ElrvQAg&oq=st+m&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16 We've done this a number of times and loved walking through the narrow alley ways and roaming the various squares.

The streets of Venice are a bit confusing but there are generally a few signs that will direct you to the square as well as signs to get you back to the people mover.

It is also worth checking to see if the ship has a water shuttle to the square. We were there last year on Celebrity and they did. It wasn't cheap but if you were short of time it worked well.

Edited by RickT

Ahhh, so now you give us some details to work with :). Assuming your plane arrives on time (these days that is often not true) you will probably need about 40-50 min to clear customs and immigration and be on your way. The fastest way to get to the port is to simply take a taxi (about 20 min) but if you are using a cruise line transfer it can take considerably longer as you will have to wait until they get a full load. With some luck you should be checked-in, on the ship, and in your cabin by 1. Most of the cruise lines offer a direct boat transfer service (at a price) between ship and St Marks Square and this is usually the fastest way to get to that location.

As to using the Vaporettos, here is exactly how that can work for you. You would walk from your ship to the People Mover Station and pay 1 Euro to get the People Mover (an elevated rail system) over the Piazale Roma. Once at that station you need to walk across the square (towards the ACTV Office) where there are numerous vaporetto (water buses) docks. You must purchase a pass (a single pass or perhaps a 12 hour unlimited pass) and then can just scan the pass and hop on any vaporetto. The #1 and #2 will both get you around Venice with the #2 having fewer stops and getting you around somewhat faster.

Given your time limitation, and your desire to go directly to St Marks Square, we think a transfer from the port to St Marks Square will save you some valuable time. There is also the Alilaguna Line (like a private vaporetto company) that has a route that would get you from the port to St Marks Square....and that is another option vs the cruise line transfer boats. If you later want to return to the ship via Vaporetto simply take the #1 or #2 to the Piazale Roma pier from where you then can take the People Mover over to the port.

Hank

Can I pop into Venice before the ship leaves?

Okay, no matter how many times I read this title - my brain always says "Can I poop into Venice before the ship leaves?"

Why not, everyone living there does.. Venice is very unique in terms of its sewage disposal; the canals are the main way waste is disposed of in Venice, though new technology has improved the sewage aspect of Venice's infrastructure. However, bringing a more modern, efficient sewage disposal system to Venice is a challenge that currently has many obstacles