1 day in Anchorage w car

VermeulT

I will visit Anchorage 1/2 way thru my 14 day cruise n HAL.

I will be renting a car. The question is... Go North - Iditarod Headquarters, Independence Mine State Park, etc, or Go south, Seward Highway to Portage (& Whittier?), Alaska Wildlife Conservation , etc.

I would appreciate input on either trip that you may have done previously.

We will be in port from 7a-11p

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by VermeulT

I live in Wasilla and love our area, but if I was you, I'd be headed south along the Turnagain Arm. I love glaciers, so a Prince William Sound glacier cruise would be on the list, along with the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. If it's a clear day, the tram at the Alyeska Resort is good.

Thanks... I'm leaning that way also.

What is the realistic drive time from Whittier, if we were to get that far? It seems like a long day - but my biggest fear is being left behind at the dock.

If you drive to Whittier, you also have to consider the tunnel transit times.

DON

At Whittier, Phillips has two cruises, a "26 Glacier" cruise that departs at 12:30 and returns at 5:30 PM, and a shorter "Glacier Quest" cruise that leaves at 1 and returns at 4:45.

From Anchorage to the Whittier tunnel entrance in Portage Valley, you're looking at around 70-80 min. travel time "wheels turning." Allowing time for the wait for the tunnel opening, the tunnel transit (10 min. or so) and getting to the dock, I'd say you'd want to allow a generous 2 1/2 to 3 hours in each direction.

So that would mean leaving Anchorage around 9 and planning on returning around 8 for the long cruise, maybe 9:30 and 7:30 for the shorter one. You'd need to be sure that the rental car office will be open for those hours.

At Whittier, Phillips has two cruises, a "26 Glacier" cruise that departs at 12:30 and returns at 5:30 PM, and a shorter "Glacier Quest" cruise that leaves at 1 and returns at 4:45.

From Anchorage to the Whittier tunnel entrance in Portage Valley, you're looking at around 70-80 min. travel time "wheels turning." Allowing time for the wait for the tunnel opening, the tunnel transit (10 min. or so) and getting to the dock, I'd say you'd want to allow a generous 2 1/2 to 3 hours in each direction.

So that would mean leaving Anchorage around 9 and planning on returning around 8 for the long cruise, maybe 9:30 and 7:30 for the shorter one. You'd need to be sure that the rental car office will be open for those hours.

Thank you... exactly what I was looking for. :D

It's only a 1 hr drive to the tunnel staging area.

The tunnel TO Whittier is open on the half-hour; leaving Whittier it's open on the hour. Google Anton Anderson Tunnel for the schedule.

Major Marine is another cruise option for PWS. The Phillips 26 Tour is all about passing 26 glaciers so they have a schedule to keep, whereas the MM tour will stop to let passengers enjoy wildlife and can wait for an imminent calving at a glacier. https://majormarine.com/pws/

With only 1 day between two 1-week cruises, I'd be inclined to spend the day on land. ... pan for gold, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, hike at Portage Glacier, visit Potters Marsh, the salmon viewing platforms at Williwaw, etc. It really depends on YOUR interests and priorities.

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/guide/portage-valley

What are YOUR interests? Both directions are very worthwhile, depending on what YOU wish to see/do.

Are you interested in taking a Prince William Sound boat tour? Otherwise, I wouldn't bother using any of your short time getting to/from Whittier.

As for the drive, you need to allow 1 1/4 hours Whittier/downtown Anchorage. Then add the car rental and transfer times. Be certain you are OK with after hours car rental liability if you don't rent from the airport. Downtown rentals are more convenient but close early.

What are YOUR interests? Both directions are very worthwhile, depending on what YOU wish to see/do.

Are you interested in taking a Prince William Sound boat tour? Otherwise, I wouldn't bother using any of your short time getting to/from Whittier.

As for the drive, you need to allow 1 1/4 hours Whittier/downtown Anchorage. Then add the car rental and transfer times. Be certain you are OK with after hours car rental liability if you don't rent from the airport. Downtown rentals are more convenient but close early.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what I want to see more....

I was actually thinking if I do Whittier, it might be a good opportunity to do a sea kayaking trip.

But then again, I don't want to get burned out on being on boats...

it might be nice to spend a full day on land... and to do something different... we could do the glacier trekking and Iditarod - which we won't do anywhere else...

I guess my question to you all is - what provides the more unique experiences (unique in what we can't get at another point on the trip) - or something that we just shouldn't miss.

Thank you so much everyone for your input.

We have a similar situation. We will have a full day with a rental car the day before our cruise/tour starts. We plan on driving down the Seward highway to Girdwood, then on to the Alyeska Resort, where we will take the Aerial Tram, which should be very scenic. If we have time we will also visit the Cow Creek Mine just up the road from Girdwood. Of course the route from Anchorage to Girdwood is supposed to very scenic also.

We too will have a full day in Anchorage before we get our late flight home. So I think we will rent a car for the day. Any suggestions on best way to get car and then return it to the airport? Should I take a cab from hotel to airport to pick -up at start of day? From what I can see Budget has best pricing and I have seen on -line coupons where you can get a free upgrade and second driver is free.

We too will have a full day in Anchorage before we get our late flight home. So I think we will rent a car for the day. Any suggestions on best way to get car and then return it to the airport? Should I take a cab from hotel to airport to pick -up at start of day? From what I can see Budget has best pricing and I have seen on -line coupons where you can get a free upgrade and second driver is free.

You could take a cab to the airport, or People Mover (the Anchorage bus system) has Route 7A that goes to the airport from downtown.

I guess my question to you all is - what provides the more unique experiences (unique in what we can't get at another point on the trip) - or something that we just shouldn't miss.

Thank you so much everyone for your input.

Entire Alaska is a "not to be missed". There aren't any duplicates. I suggest you might want to do some more reading of trip reports and see what is of interest to you.

Major Marine is another cruise option for PWS. The Phillips 26 Tour is all about passing 26 glaciers so they have a schedule to keep, whereas the MM tour will stop to let passengers enjoy wildlife and can wait for an imminent calving at a glacier. https://majormarine.com/pws/

Major Marine is having a pretty good deal right now. 1/2 off. Only lasts for another day or so.

http://ktuu.upickem.net/engine/SplashDetails.aspx?contestid=33881&productid=11355776&groupmode=1082824

You could take a cab to the airport, or People Mover (the Anchorage bus system) has Route 7A that goes to the airport from downtown.

Depending on your preference, Enterprise may be able to pick you up at the hotel, and save you $ on the taxes. If you go through the airport, they can't pick you up, you'll have to get transportation to there and pay a higher tax, because it's from the airport.

While we're talking rentals.... looks like I will pick up the car downtown but have to return it to the airport, since the downtown locations close around 5p and we won't be back by then.

Does any company offer a shuttle back to the ship, or am I going to cab it?

While we're talking rentals.... looks like I will pick up the car downtown but have to return it to the airport, since the downtown locations close around 5p and we won't be back by then.

Does any company offer a shuttle back to the ship, or am I going to cab it?

Most rental companies have a key box for late drop offs. There just won't be anyone to verify the condition of the car so you have to take their word if they say there was ding or crack. I've never had an issue, but is that within your comfort zone.

When we did this trip in 2012 the ship tied up in the Anchorage port very near the Air Force base. Cabs and the Holland Shuttle buses to Eagan Center seemed to be the only ones allowed near the ship so a shuttle to Eagan or downtown hotels would be an option but allow extra time. We really wanted to see glaciers so we did Portage Glacier & conservation ctr (with tour saver coupons) and didn't bother with the drama (sitting in line can't go, go now etc) of the tunnel. I think we almost ended up with glacier overload with two helo trips in Juneau, Sawyer in Tracy Arm, Hubbard and Portage.

If you have person interested in fishing check out Ship Creek a few blocks from Eagan if you are there when the fish are running.

This year we are headed north with rental car after flight seeing to Denali with Rust's from Lake Hood (large sea plane hub near the airport).

Take Care, Sightcrr

Most rental companies have a key box for late drop offs. There just won't be anyone to verify the condition of the car so you have to take their word if they say there was ding or crack. I've never had an issue, but is that within your comfort zone.

Good deal.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't know the dates that you are sailing, but another thing to consider....If it is fishing season, it can literally take hours on the road to Seward......and if there is an accident...it is mostly a 2 lane road, not a highway.....you can be held up for a long, long time....Also, if you are going on a ship, you will see lots of glaciers....lots to consider....The road going up to Independence Mine is one of the most beautiful in Alaska also....but again, it can take a long time unless you only do 1/2 of it. And, Again, depending on the dates, the either half of the road may be closed off...It frequently doesn't open until the end of June.