Celebrity cancelled our cruise - what to do

caro24

If an airline has the same issue, they supply another plane and/or there are

nearly comparable choices within plus or minus one day. Same with a hotel.

But with a cruise, the logistics may or may not be so simple based on personal

commitments and needs surrounding the date. With no date or logistics correlated plans, such disruptions are not likely to be a big deal. BUT to others

in can be. Schedule a wedding and a honeymoon around a cruise. Special

dates where friends and family are travelling together may never be able to be

rescheduled. So what is fair is often personal and others may not have the

compassion to accept others harm. SUGGEST cruise lines fulfill a reasonable

choice with trip cancel insurance where you can buy the amount that reflects

the choice damages. This could work for any ship related issue, like rescheduling for mechanical reasons and more. Thus if date flexibility is limited

or non existent, then insurance to the loss degree would be appropriate. Sounds like life insurance, buy the amount that fits the personal conditions.

So make the punishment fit the crime, demand Cruising companies support such insurance and at least proper risk and reward are MORE equitable.

Just my thoughts from 50 years of major travel.

Your airline analogy is completely different than this example. YOUR analogy is a last minute cancellation (or delay) of a flight. This example is a one year advance notice of a cancellation.

The accurate analogy would be when an airline decides to discontinue flying from a certain airport. THAT decision is made several months in advance, and tickets are refunded if they were booked at a date after the discontinued flights. Note that the airline won't give anybody OBC or anything else to compensate the passenger for the inconvenience.

The conditions in the original cancellation from Celebrity were far too restrictive because, to get the compensation, you had to book a cruise in the same category stateroom/suite. Because our cancellation was not announced until later in the year, there was no equivalent accommodation left at the time - on any ship.

That policy IS ridiculous, IMHO. Assuming that the policy is different with other cruise lines, that would make Celebrity my ex-favorite cruise line.

Your airline analogy is completely different than this example. YOUR analogy is a last minute cancellation (or delay) of a flight. This example is a one year advance notice of a cancellation.

The accurate analogy would be when an airline decides to discontinue flying from a certain airport. THAT decision is made several months in advance, and tickets are refunded if they were booked at a date after the discontinued flights. Note that the airline won't give anybody OBC or anything else to compensate the passenger for the inconvenience.

Having flown over 10,000,000 air miles, do not assume last minute was the intent. The point is, there are more combinations of solutions with other travel technologies with less severe handicap. Cruises are extended period conditions with minimum or no repeatability. Flights can be had from nearby cities and nearby days, many hotels in most cities can duplicate the service, but not many cruises in other than the Caribbean.

I travel with international tickets extended over as many as 22 months. During that time frame there are structural modifications to schedules of all ponderable types. But over these 50 years, I have never heard of or experienced the equivalent potential for damage that a cruise interruption can effect. So I repeat, when there is great potential for damage, insurance against involuntary cancellation for any reason could alleviate much of the issue.

Memphis and Cleveland are losing their hub status, but there are still other flights from nearby cities within time proximate choices. Again, except for the

Caribbean, many are near one time only events. There are only two Antarctic cruises a year on Celebrity, get bumped and there are not many other choices. Hawaii substitutes? For some yes, for others no. That's why such insurance can be worthwhile, it could compensate for the extra cost of sailing on National Geographic!

Because some conditions are not in your experience base or value consideration. Do not suggest that other's situations could not be of serious consequence.

Right you are!

Just want to share a story about a Greek cruise a few years back that was canceled about 4 months out. Get this.... the cruise line not only gave us a refund and a check covering our non refundable tickets, they also gave us a free cruise for future use.

Okay so we try again the next year with our free voucher. No problem, we're booked on our much anticipated 7 day Greek cruise.

Three weeks out they call and tell us the itinerary is now changed to 4 and 5 day cruises and is now all inclusive.

So they offer us 4 or 5 days cruise with paid hotel in Athens for the remaining days we would have been on the ship plus 1 day after and 100.00 OBC.

Bottom line, we ended up with a free cruise and free hotel before and after.

Oh yea I forgot, they paid for our breakfast and dinner in Athens. It was an unforgettable trip!

The name of the cruise line was easyCruise and not surprisingly they're no longer in business. Too bad.:p

Edited by webecruzin2

Having your cruise cancelled is not fun, but at least there was notice.

Carnival cancelled our European cruise only 3 weeks before we were supposed to leave. Ended up wasting my vacation time because I could not change the dates, airfare was a nightmare so I ended up just staying home and booking something on Holland America 6 months later.

On hold with Celebrity now because they moved our cabin from far aft to far forward - not sure what is going on with them, but not a great first impression with Celebrity so far.

Having flown over 10,000,000 air miles, do not assume last minute was the intent. The point is, there are more combinations of solutions with other travel technologies with less severe handicap. Cruises are extended period conditions with minimum or no repeatability. Flights can be had from nearby cities and nearby days, many hotels in most cities can duplicate the service, but not many cruises in other than the Caribbean.

I travel with international tickets extended over as many as 22 months. During that time frame there are structural modifications to schedules of all ponderable types. But over these 50 years, I have never heard of or experienced the equivalent potential for damage that a cruise interruption can effect. So I repeat, when there is great potential for damage, insurance against involuntary cancellation for any reason could alleviate much of the issue.

Memphis and Cleveland are losing their hub status, but there are still other flights from nearby cities within time proximate choices. Again, except for the

Caribbean, many are near one time only events. There are only two Antarctic cruises a year on Celebrity, get bumped and there are not many other choices. Hawaii substitutes? For some yes, for others no. That's why such insurance can be worthwhile, it could compensate for the extra cost of sailing on National Geographic!

Because some conditions are not in your experience base or value consideration. Do not suggest that other's situations could not be of serious consequence.

No need to be condescending to us lower peons - especially given the laudable and gracious attitude of the OP.

This is just one of the reasons that we DO purchase trip insurance.

Edited by jkgourmet

No need to be condescending to us lower peons - especially given the laudable and gracious attitude of the OP.

This is just one of the reasons that we DO purchase trip insurance.

What I was suggesting was an umbrella form of insurance to cover consequential costs, which travel insurance does not.

This could cover, given it could be at a cost, rebooking and readjustment

costs of all types. These are excluded from normal trip cancellation coverages or have very low threshold limits.

What I was suggesting was an umbrella form of insurance to cover consequential costs, which travel insurance does not.

This could cover, given it could be at a cost, rebooking and readjustment

costs of all types. These are excluded from normal trip cancellation coverages or have very low threshold limits.

The OP is from the UK and, here, you certainly cannot insure for the additional costs due to the cruise companies commercial decision to cancel a cruise. This is especially true in our case. It is not possible to insure against the loss of your insurance premium.

While I understand that people post on Cruise Critic to be helpful, please always bear in minds that many things are different outside the USA. Insurance is very definitely one of these items.

What my TA told me to do was to change the booking to another cruise before the final payment date and then keep changing until you are ready for another cruise.

Hi again,

After checking with celebrity, I have 500 OBC's per stateroom, 1500 in total. Can I use the obc to offset cost of cruise ( room)? do they allow this?

Hi again,

After checking with celebrity, I have 500 OBC's per stateroom, 1500 in total. Can I use the obc to offset cost of cruise ( room)? do they allow this?

OBC is what it says, it's credit to spend on board.:rolleyes:

I think you might be thinking of Future Cruise certificates, which can be used to pay part of the cost of a new booking.

Increased cost of travel? Can't buy airline tickets for that cruise yet so no loss there.

I really can't think of any real financial loss yet, over 1 year out.

The offer to cancel or rebook and get $200 OBC is quite fair given the timeline on this one. If you were months out, I'd expect expenses reimbursed perhaps, but I'd consider this a gift of $200 and book the alternative.

No need to stew over it. Accept the problem, and find the alternative and enjoy $200 on them when you get there in 15 months.

It's not like Celebrity did anything wrong in this case. Happens on every cruiseline every month, and perfectly legal and ethical to charter a ship for a fixed sum rather than worrying about selling it out, it might be a minor inconvenience for you nut hence the $200 OBC

Edited by johhnnyt

Sorry I have mislead you there and now I feel like a real meany. We will get our deposit back if we decide not to rebook. I was just trying to make a comparison that if we cancelled they would get to keep $450 deposit for their trouble, so as they have cancelled is it not fair for them to give the same amount of money for our trouble. Bringing out the negotiator/haggler mean streak in me. An argument I know I am destined not to win.:)

Caro24, I am glad that you are making the most out of the situation. I do agree with your initial comment. Since Celebrity/TA in the UK keeps your $450 deposit if you cancel it only seems fair to me that they would give you your $450 deposit back with another $450 credit instead of the $200 OBC. I know that is not the way that it works, but IMO it is reasonable to expect that it should. I think any reasonable person would agree.

Does anyone know for sure that if you cancel in the UK that Celebrity UK keeps the whole $450 deposit or does some of it go to the TA?

Caro24, enjoy your planning and cruise.

It's not like Celebrity did anything wrong in this case. Happens on every cruiseline every month, and perfectly legal and ethical to charter a ship for a fixed sum rather than worrying about selling it out, it might be a minor inconvenience for you nut hence the $200 OBC

I don't think anyone on the UK side of the pond would agree with you! We, as in myself or the OP, cancel and we forfeit at least £300 per cabin (say $450 or more); Celebrity cancelling and offering a derisory $200 is an insult.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Edited by harz99

I don't think anyone on the UK side of the pond would agree with you! We, as in myself or the OP, cancel and we forfeit at least £300 per cabin (say $450 or more); Celebrity cancelling and offering a derisory $200 is an insult.

So if Celebrity cancels a cruise in the UK, your forfeit the deposit? You're not allowed to use it on a future cruise?

No; of course not but that isn't the point. We book a cruise and pay a deposit in the full expectation that if we cancel we lose our deposit, yet Celebrity can cancel and only lose either nothing by refunding deposit or maybe a much lower amount of their choice. That is neither fair nor reasonable.

Edited by harz99

No; of course not but that isn't the point. We book a cruise and pay a deposit in the full expectation that if we cancel we lose our deposit, yet Celebrity can cancel and only lose either nothing by refunding deposit or maybe a much lower amount of their choice. That is neither fair nor reasonable.

Those are the conditions of the contract you agree to when you book the cruise

Edited by johhnnyt

Those are the conditions of the contract you agree to when you book the cruise

As we all know, just because it's in the contract doesn't make it fair or reasonable.

As we all know, just because it's in the contract doesn't make it fair or reasonable.

But those are the terms and conditions you agree to when you book a cruise

" just because it's in the contract doesn't make it fair or reasonable"

You might not like it but it's not an unusual event in the cruise industry, especially a year out

Had the same thing happen two years ago, cruise we were booked on went to a charter of country music people, so we rebooked a similar itinerary a week before and got some OBC, no big deal

Edited by johhnnyt

You might not like it but it's not an unusual event in the cruise industry, especially a year out

Had the same thing happen two years ago, cruise we were booked on went to a charter of country music people, so we rebooked a similar itinerary a week before and got some OBC, no big deal

I think you are missing the point made by harz99 and echoed by myself. Nobody is arguing the fact that those are the terms and conditions under which the booking is made. But they aren't in the form of a contract that is negotiated between amenable parties to equally protect in a fair and reasonable manner the rights of both parties. Rather, they are prepared solely by the cruise line, for its own benefit and protection, and presented to the client in a "take it or leave it" manner. I agree, this certainly isn't exceptional in the cruise industry, but that doesn't make it any fairer or more reasonable.

As an aside, I'd be very curious to know how many passengers, particularly those booking for the first time, actually read the terms and conditions beforehand. Or even after. What about with with airline bookings? I'd guess that they would definitely be in the minority. I know that I've never been asked by a TA whether I have read them, or had a TA hand them to me and ask me if I wanted to read them then.

Edited by Fouremco

Just what do you hope to accomplish here? While I sympathize with your frustration, maybe it's time to recognize that not all things in life are fair, that all the posts complaining about the rules aren't going to change anything, and just move on! Chalk this one up to bad luck/timing and start planning the next one!

So as long as Celebrity puts anything they like in the terms and conditions, no matter how inequitable it is, "it's all good?"

There are huge cultural and legal differences between the US/North America and the UK/Europe and this issue highlights many of them.

In the UK, if we make a deposit on a cruise, we forefit it if we cancel. We can, as a concession, make one change [not cancellation] without additonal cost if we are Captain's Club members. In view of this, we do not book a cruise "just in case" we may want to take it. We also have the concept of "unfair contract". These have to be tested in the courts on a case by case basis but, if the less powerful party in a contract has no control over the terms of a contract, they can be deemed unfair and, thus, invalid. [However, the costs of testing such contracts in the courts are in most cases much higher than anything that could be recovered.]

In the US, deposits are fully refundable for any reason. Hey, you can even take out cancel for any reason trip insurance. [Certainly not available in the UK.] We all know from Cruise Critic, that people make deposits on multiple cruises in the US, and decide later which thy really want to take. In return, the company with whom the contract is taken out, [probably rightly] considers that they are also at liberty to break the contract and, in the US, the law would support them.

Celebrity representatives in the UK recognise that the US system is a huge problem for the Company because prized staterooms/suites can be blocked by people who have no intention of using them resulting in them having to be sold, at a loss, after the final payment due date. The practice distorts the market.

There are other differences between the two cultures that serve to make the cancellation of a cruise a bigger deal in the UK. The issue which affected us in similar circumstances to the OP's was insurance. In the UK, we tend to take out insurance earlier. We are, after all committing at least the deposit at that stage. Insurance premiums are much higher in the UK. In the UK, the main element covered is medical insurance [a multi-million sum and thus high premiums]. In the US, the main element covered is cancellation [the cost of the cruise and associated items such as flights - a much lower sum with lower premiums].

When our TP was cancelled last year, there were many Americans who were adversely affected despite the cruise being more than 12 months aways. They had planned complex B2B2B elements including land tours and/or river cruises in Asia. Using Asian tour companies, they were required to meet local T&Cs which may have included non-refundable deposits and/or full payments. Thus, in certain circumstances, some North Americans may feel more agrieved than others from the same country.

So, the cancellation of a cruise has a different impact to people who live in different parts of the world or who have different circumstances. Because it would not affect you very much, does not mean it is of no consequence to someone else. Cruising happens in all parts of the world and those taking cruises reside [and book] is all parts of the world. At present, laws and practices are not the same throughout the world and, judging by the issues it causes in the EU, probably never will be.