Want to try Celebrity but fear music

Loreni

We were unlucky enough to experience the ultra loud music all over the Eclipse whilst on our first Celebrity cruise. It was so bad we were unable to sit at either the Martini bar or the Molecular bar. The entire ship was bombarded with techno music including the buffet at breakfast time and the MDR at dinner time.

The following year we saw another Celebrity cruise we fancied and after much searching of cruise critic we saw that the music situation seemed to have improved and so we booked after having a discussion where we agreed that if it was still noisy it would be our last Celebrity cruise.

Thank goodness we were lucky and the music had been turned right down, even the Martini Bar although loud was tolerable. For this reason we booked another Celebrity cruise for this year. Fingers crossed the music situation will remain tolerable as we love the Eclipse and would like to continue sailing on her.

Well, I wanted to give my two cents...

First I am a huge Celebrity fan, you can see that from my previous cruise list...:)

We were on Equinox in June last year in the Mediterranean after having a couple of years break while starting family so we were expecting things to have changed little over the years.

What we did not expect was LOUD techno music in Martini bar, we actually could not have a conversation in there :rolleyes: Instead we used the Passport bar to be able to talk and hear each other.At this point I want to point out that I love techno music and listen to it at home...Also they were playing similar techno beat music in the MDR on most nights. As I said I listen to techno at home, but I strongly believe there is time and place for it, dining room is not the place...:rolleyes:

So before I get slammed as a liar, I want to emphasize that I will continue to sail with Celebrity, and the experience did not ruin our cruise. :)

We were unlucky enough to experience the ultra loud music all over the Eclipse whilst on our first Celebrity cruise. It was so bad we were unable to sit at either the Martini bar or the Molecular bar. The entire ship was bombarded with techno music including the buffet at breakfast time and the MDR at dinner time.

The following year we saw another Celebrity cruise we fancied and after much searching of cruise critic we saw that the music situation seemed to have improved and so we booked after having a discussion where we agreed that if it was still noisy it would be our last Celebrity cruise.

Thank goodness we were lucky and the music had been turned right down, even the Martini Bar although loud was tolerable. For this reason we booked another Celebrity cruise for this year. Fingers crossed the music situation will remain tolerable as we love the Eclipse and would like to continue sailing on her.

As I stated on previous post this was our experience also, I am hoping it was just one time issue... Let you know after our Summit cruise.:)

The only place I have ever noticed the music volume is at the Martini Bar and for me it is too much. Our most recent Celebrity sailings have been on the Summit, Century, Eclipse, and Solstice and it is pretty much the same story on every ship. The only exception is that when they have a band in the atrium area of the Solstice class ships the music tends to carry upward throughout the open space.

Just off a cruise on Solstice in January, and it’s the same as others have mentioned with the atrium. They have rock and similar music amped up, and because of the hard surfaces reflecting it makes a lot of noise.

Other areas weren’t so bad, but it and surrounding areas wasn’t a pleasant area to hang out in, as you had to shout to be heard.

Dropping back in to add something I forgot. On both Eclipse and Equinox, the live music in the Grand Foyer is ridiculously loud. However, if you're just passing through, it's over soon enough. It does carry like a chimney up the midships elevator atrium and if you're planning to hang out in a common area off either the foyer or atrium, you're going to hear it plenty loud.

On our recent reflection cruise,the only loud music I heard was in the Martini Bar, Miami DJ's live, and I would consider it techno. Too loud to carry on a conversation. The schedule is posted in the Celebrity Today, so you can avoid it if you wish.

If loud music would be a deal breaker for you, I wouldn't take the chance, stay with Princess, because you wouldn't want your vacation ruined by the loudness of the music.

I, for one, think the music is great and don't think it is too loud. I would rather hear more of today's music than Frank Sinatra, etc. I want a fun experience, not a sleepy one.

The best indie rock station in S.CA plays Frank Sinatra every day at 5, to remind everyone that talent knows no time or genre boundaries... :)

To the OP, no overbearing loud music on the Silhouette & plenty of places that were very serene & peaceful.

I was in the army favourite quote what music do you want ? "Dont care just pay it loud "

Come on folks I am 50 and hopefully will see 90 live a little and if it does not suit do what we have done try another cruise product .

Our first cruise was Princess and I was ready to fling the funeral music CD over the side after day 3

I was in the army favourite quote what music do you want ? "Dont care just pay it loud "

Come on folks I am 50 and hopefully will see 90 live a little and if it does not suit do what we have done try another cruise product .

Our first cruise was Princess and I was ready to fling the funeral music CD over the side after day 3

The music is modern and LOUD! Celebrity is a quality product....you won't be disappointed..

Sue

On our recent reflection cruise,the only loud music I heard was in the Martini Bar, Miami DJ's live, and I would consider it techno. Too loud to carry on a conversation. The schedule is posted in the Celebrity Today, so you can avoid it if you wish.

That is how I feel. If I don't like the music in one venue or area, I simply move to one where I enjoy the music. It seems as though some only want Celebrity to play the music they like at the loudness they want. Celebrity needs to play music for all, not just a few; many want to hear today's music, not yesterday's music.

The best indie rock station in S.CA plays Frank Sinatra every day at 5, to remind everyone that talent knows no time or genre boundaries... :)

To the OP, no overbearing loud music on the Silhouette & plenty of places that were very serene & peaceful.

I was in the music business for over 30 years, so I've listened to Frank Sinatra and other easy listening artists over the years, but when I go on vacation, I don't want to have easy listening music all over the ship. I would like to hear today's music, which I consider fun and uplifting.

Celebrity needs to play all types of music at all loudnesses, but unfortunately many only want it their way and their music.

Ok, let's recap what we have learned from 'this dog fight' :D

We all walk the same path, but see and hear different things. It has been this way since the first sunrise, and always will be. Some like it, some don't, some want to leave, some like it the way it is and will stay, okie dokie then.

I was in the music business for over 30 years, so I've listened to Frank Sinatra and other easy listening artists over the years, but when I go on vacation, I don't want to have easy listening music all over the ship. I would like to hear today's music, which I consider fun and uplifting.

Celebrity needs to play all types of music at all loudnesses, but unfortunately many only want it their way and their music.

Hi, I hope my post did not come across as argumentative, :) I like modern music too, & like the atmosphere of the martini bar, my point was, I like a good mix, there should be a little something for everyone, & there should be quiet, peaceful lounges also.

We found a very good mix of loud/high energy, & toned down on our last cruise on Silhouette.

& I still think some of Frank's stuff is pretty cutting edge :)

Three cruises - 2 on Eclipse, 1 on Silhouette.

Both Eclipse cruises music level fine. On the Silhouette it was too loud for conversation in the Molecular Bar and the Martini Bar.

We were disappointed as we love both areas HOWEVER it has been pointed out to me that there are other more sedate areas with quieter music and this is certainly true.

We would prefer to be able to use the Martini Bar but, if we can't then we will just have, sadly, to go elsewhere.

Hi, I hope my post did not come across as argumentative, :) I like modern music too, & like the atmosphere of the martini bar, my point was, I like a good mix, there should be a little something for everyone, & there should be quiet, peaceful lounges also.

We found a very good mix of loud/high energy, & toned down on our last cruise on Silhouette.

& I still think some of Frank's stuff is pretty cutting edge :)

Not at all. I just wanted you to know that I have no problem with Frank Sinatra or other easy listening artists, but that is not what kind of music I want to listen to on my entire cruise. When I'm out by the pool, I don't want to fall asleep having to listen to easy listening music, I want some lively music, because after all I'm on vacation and want to have some fun. You seem to feel as I do and that there is a place for all types of music. Unfortunately many on here don't want music other than they want, instead of letting everyone enjoy different music during a cruise.

I think that there are different venues and they play different music, so if someone doesn't like the music in one, they can go to another.

Still have to disagree with you on Frank's stuff...cutting edge, far from it, but that is just imho from being in the music industry for over 30 years.

There can be a variety of music including good techno stuff without it being too loud. Our last couple of cruises it's been turned down just enough to make it bearable. Believe me there have been times when it shouldn't be played at that level for anyone. Loud is OK but ear piercing isn't good. It has nothing to do with anyone's taste in music. There's no reason to make it necessary for people to go elsewhere.

Edited by Ma Bell

Since part of my life is working with "live sound"...that is setting up sound systems for music groups....I have an application on my phone that gives a good approximation of sound levels. I also carry a safety card that shows the effect of loud music on human ears.

I have only had to use those once....when the music sound level was close to 100db playing directly over the head of a crew member as we got off a tender. The safety officer quickly had the volume turned down.

In general, the sound levels are below 85db which is safe for (most) human ears for pretty long periods of time.

FYI:

Maximum Recommended Noise Dose

Exposure Levels

Noise Level (dBA) Maximum Exposure Time per 24 Hours

85 8 hours

88 4 hours

91 2 hours

94 1 hour

97 30 minutes

100 15 minutes

103 7.5 minutes

106 3.7 minutes

109 112 seconds

112 56 seconds

115 28 seconds

118 14 seconds

121 7 seconds

124 3 seconds

127 1 second

130–140 less than 1 second

140 NO EXPOSURE

There can be a variety of music including good techno stuff without it being too loud. Our last couple of cruises it's been turned down just enough to make it bearable. Believe me there have been times when it shouldn't be played at that level for anyone. Loud is OK but ear piercing isn't good. It has nothing to do with anyone's taste in music. There's no reason to make it necessary for people to go elsewhere.

I think it depends on one's taste. I like loud music and what is loud to one is not loud to another. I found many on my cruises that wants music played so soft that you can barely hear it, so they can have conversations, but many others want to be able to hear the music and not hear other's conversations.

But aren't you telling those that want to hear loud music to go elsewhere, because you want it softer? There should be a way to compromise by venue; have the louder more modern music in the party atmosphere type venues like Martini Bar and Molecular Bar and softer music in the other bars/lounges. This way everyone can enjoy different types of music and no one has to listen to something they don't like or a loudness they don't care for.

Since part of my life is working with "live sound"...that is setting up sound systems for music groups....I have an application on my phone that gives a good approximation of sound levels. I also carry a safety card that shows the effect of loud music on human ears.

I have only had to use those once....when the music sound level was close to 100db playing directly over the head of a crew member as we got off a tender. The safety officer quickly had the volume turned down.

In general, the sound levels are below 85db which is safe for (most) human ears for pretty long periods of time.

FYI:

Maximum Recommended Noise Dose

Exposure Levels

Noise Level (dBA) Maximum Exposure Time per 24 Hours

85 8 hours

88 4 hours

91 2 hours

94 1 hour

97 30 minutes

100 15 minutes

103 7.5 minutes

106 3.7 minutes

109 112 seconds

112 56 seconds

115 28 seconds

118 14 seconds

121 7 seconds

124 3 seconds

127 1 second

130–140 less than 1 second

140 NO EXPOSURE

Thank you for clarifying loudness. Since I was in the music industry, I know loud music from going to concerts and I have never experienced any music that I would consider ear piercing or really loud on any cruise on any cruise line. As I said it is personal choice, I like it loud and some don't, but we all should be able to enjoy what we like, not just what a few like.

I think it depends on one's taste. I like loud music and what is loud to one is not loud to another. I found many on my cruises that wants music played so soft that you can barely hear it, so they can have conversations, but many others want to be able to hear the music and not hear other's conversations.

But aren't you telling those that want to hear loud music to go elsewhere, because you want it softer? There should be a way to compromise by venue; have the louder more modern music in the party atmosphere type venues like Martini Bar and Molecular Bar and softer music in the other bars/lounges. This way everyone can enjoy different types of music and no one has to listen to something they don't like or a loudness they don't care for.

Thanks for this. I too love my music loud a lot of the time. I'm happy to hear that Celebrity will cater to my desire for loud modern music as well as provide quieter venues for those seeking them - there maybe will be times when I will join them. It's all about variety.

You just don't seem to want to "get it". We have no objection to the music being loud enough for people who just want to hear the music. That's the way it is most of the time. There have, however, been times when we and many others, found it unbearable. When there are lots of people asking to have the music turned down, just a bit, it's too loud. It seems that they have found a good level recently.

You just don't seem to want to "get it". We have no objection to the music being loud enough for people who just want to hear the music. That's the way it is most of the time. There have, however, been times when we and many others, found it unbearable. When there are lots of people asking to have the music turned down, just a bit, it's too loud. It seems that they have found a good level recently.

Again, working with live sound, what you don't get is that "loud enough for people who just want to hear the music" means different things to different people. As a rule of thumb, I set the sound level so that 1/2 the folks that complain say it's too loud...and the other half say it's too soft. It's amazing that no matter where you are, folks are willing to "help" with sound levels :)

Most who have grown up with disco music are used to LOUD....and that's the way they want to hear music....it's their normal. Those who grew up listening to jazz groups with no amplification (and similar) have a very different view of the level needed to "just hear the music". You have your frame of reference...but that isn't necessarily everyone elses...or even "most" others....it's your preferred level. That doesn't make it right or wrong....but you have to be careful not to take your preferences and then assert you are speaking for others.

Edited by ghstudio