Want to try Celebrity but fear music

Loreni

You just don't seem to want to "get it". We have no objection to the music being loud enough for people who just want to hear the music. That's the way it is most of the time. There have, however, been times when we and many others, found it unbearable. When there are lots of people asking to have the music turned down, just a bit, it's too loud. It seems that they have found a good level recently.

It boils down to taste. What you don't get is what you feel is loud, is not loud to others. There needs to be a compromise of all types of music at different loudness levels. Celebrity can't just cater to one group.

Thank you for clarifying loudness. Since I was in the music industry, I know loud music from going to concerts and I have never experienced any music that I would consider ear piercing or really loud on any cruise on any cruise line. As I said it is personal choice, I like it loud and some don't, but we all should be able to enjoy what we like, not just what a few like.

Not trying to be troublesome here, but is it possible that due to your being in the music industry you have either developed a liking for louder than normal music, or have suffered some hearing loss due to being around loud music in the past? Both would result in you wanting the music louder than most people would like. I know that my own hearing has deteriorated in the last decade, some of it based on being in loud work environments in the past, and some of it due to getting older. I find that I need to turn the sound level higher at home when listening to music or watching TV than I used to. My wife often comments that the volume is too high, even though to me it sounds just fine.

Edited by boogs

There's only one Martini Bar on the ship and the other bars don't serve the martinis that they serve there. Everyone should be able to enjoy the Martini Bar. It seems Celebrity understands that and have found a good level for everyone. It's loud, not obnoxious. No one needs to check the decibel level, it's just common sense. The Martini Bar isn't a dance club and the music isn't live. You are suggesting that everyone in the Martini Bar should just sit there with music so loud that they can't hear anything else and just stare into space. Seems rather odd to me.

Edited by Ma Bell

Not trying to be troublesome here, but is it possible that due to your being in the music industry you have either developed a liking for louder than normal music, or have suffered some hearing loss due to being around loud music in the past? Both would result in you wanting the music louder than most people would like. I know that my own hearing has deteriorated in the last decade, some of it based on being in loud work environments in the past, and some of it due to getting older. I find that I need to turn the sound level higher at home when listening to music or watching TV than I used to. My wife often comments that the volume is too high, even though to me it sounds just fine.

I wish folks would stop saying things like "most people like". Let me tell you...most young people like loud...very loud. Most old people (like me) grew up with jazz, folk, orchestral music and that's our loudness gauge. I do live sound and that doesn't automatically make me like loud more.

Turning up the TV actually has little to do with background music levels....the reason you turn up TV volume is to understand the dialog....or, to emulate the sound level of a movie theater which is much louder than your "normal" home sound level.

Edited by ghstudio

First off, I just had a complete physical, including a hearing test and an very happy to say my hearing is perfect yeah!. Since you brought up hearing how many that complain about the music loudness wears hearing aids; that could be their problem. The loudness I like is nowhere near concert loudness nor is it as loud as the younger generation likes it (I'm speaking of those youngsters blaring rap music in their cars, that is way too loud for me). When I have a party or friends over, never has anyone complain about the loudness of the TV or music. Like I said, it is just a matter of taste.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We have been thinking about trying Celebrity because we like their smoking policy, but Princess is pretty good too and we have been mostly happy with them. Our big concern with trying Celebrity is what we have read about the music, specifically:

Loud techno music even in dining room,

CEO ignored concerns about this in a recent CC Q and A session,

Staff has been ordered not to reduce volume even if requested to by many,

Extra speakers have been placed outside the shops to blast music even louder.

If all of this is true, we are concerned. We could cocoon on our balcony to avoid noise, but unless we order room service, we would still need to be exposed to thump/thump music while eating. That won't do.

I read that some fast food restaurants are playing classical music in their parking lots to drive away lurking criminals. Is Celebrity doing the same thing. Blasting techno music to drive away those who don't spend enough money drinking and gambling. We don't drink or gamble and I hate to go where I am not wanted.

I've never heard music played loudly (if at all) in the MDR. There isn't loud music all over the ship, but I will say that I find the background music they play over the speakers at the Lawn Club annoying because it's just there in what would be a nice place for some quiet listening to the sea. The Martini Bar? Well it's been my experience that the level has been fine. It's also been my experience that it's been too loud when there aren't enough people in the venue. If it's busy and loud with people not so much of an issue, but when there are a dozen people there and it's loud I don't see the point. It certainly doesn't create an "atmosphere" like it would if the place was buzzing. Most of the time we have had success in our group in this situation of getting them to turn it down.

Phil

I wish folks would stop saying things like "most people like". Let me tell you...most young people like loud...very loud. Most old people (like me) grew up with jazz, folk, orchestral music and that's our loudness gauge. I do live sound and that doesn't automatically make me like loud more.

Turning up the TV actually has little to do with background music levels....the reason you turn up TV volume is to understand the dialog....or, to emulate the sound level of a movie theater which is much louder than your "normal" home sound level.

Hey, don't shoot the darned messenger, OK? I was just making a comment that personally I now find that my hearing has changed over the years, and that is a very real possibility for anyone. I remember in my mid 20s I considered enlisting in the navy. I took the obligatory tests, including hearing. The recruiter commented that my hearing scores were the highest they had ever recorded, and he excitedly recommended I apply as a sonar technician on nuclear submarines (those guys that you see in the movies who are listening to the "ping" and noise of approaching enemy ships), which was an officer position. Unfortunately, my next test was vision, which I failed due to being color "weak". That color deficiency ended that career before it even started.

So I know what near perfect hearing is, and I know what I deal with today. It has nothing to do with "emulating" the sound of a movie theater, and everything to do with hearing loss. I get my hearing tested every year, and every year the results are just a bit worse than the previous year. So don't presume you know my hearing better than I do. :mad:

Edited by boogs

First off, I just had a complete physical, including a hearing test and an very happy to say my hearing is perfect yeah!. Since you brought up hearing how many that complain about the music loudness wears hearing aids; that could be their problem. The loudness I like is nowhere near concert loudness nor is it as loud as the younger generation likes it (I'm speaking of those youngsters blaring rap music in their cars, that is way too loud for me). When I have a party or friends over, never has anyone complain about the loudness of the TV or music. Like I said, it is just a matter of taste.

Wow, I did not realize those sound meter apps existed. There are several of them.

My DW believes music should be played at a level so that I can hear what she has to say.:) That might be what many people want. Especially in bars where there is much socializing.

Wow, I did not realize those sound meter apps existed. There are several of them.

My DW believes music should be played at a level so that I can hear what she has to say.:) That might be what many people want. Especially in bars where there is much socializing.

I don't know anything about sound meter apps.

It is different strokes for different folks - some like it loud and some like it low! Unless Celebrity does a survey of all their customers, we will never know what many or most want.

I don't know anything about sound meter apps.

It is different strokes for different folks - some like it loud and some like it low! Unless Celebrity does a survey of all their customers, we will never know what many or most want.

Oops, sorry I meant to quote GHStudio. I searched "sound meter apps" and come up with about a dozen. We are going to the symphony soon, and it will be nice to have that app to get an estimation of the decible level. The music is Pink Floyd performed by the symphony, and I suspect it will be well under 100 decibles.

I'm someone who hates restaurants and bars where the sound level of noise(including music) is very high. I hate having to yell so that my table mates can hear me and vice versa. Clearly many people enjoy that atmosphere.

I like loud music at a concert.

The music on all our Celebrity cruises was quite enjoyable. I espically like the chill out type music played by the pool on Solstice and Eclipse, found it quite relaxing. Don't even remember hearing music in the MDR besides occasionally someone playing piano. When I'm in the Martini Bar I'm there to party and have fun & I consider the music there part of the ambience.

Ps. Love Led Zepplin and Frank Sinatra, both are timeless :)

I also had read about the loud music on celebrity, and worried about it as we were going on a Celebrity ship for the first time. We were on the Solstice Jan 20 leaving from Sydney and going to New Zealand.

So we went on our cruise, loved the ship, had a great time. Came home and read your post and realized I never noticed a problem! So thinking back, was there loud music? We had pre dinner drinks at the martini bar and had good conversation with our friends, so no problem there. After dinner, the place was hopping and I'm sure some would think it was loud, but to me it was lively and fun, and we just moved on if we weren't interested in joining in. The music in the atrium was loud, but pleasant to listen to as we walked through the area. Those are the only two areas that I remember being loud, but to me they made the ship lively and fun. I'm a grandma, and like it quiet in my room, and it was.

Great ship.

I am not yet retired but the loud music on board Eclipse was hard to bear! I ( and lot´s of others ) complained about it. It is all good and right to party in the Martini Bar - but they still could do that if the music would have been at a level were a conversation still would have been possible! WHICH WAS NOT THE CASE! There are other cruise lines who offer constand partying! X was famous for a nice relaxed and CALM cruise experience! I heard it is has taken a turn for the better since last year- so I will see ( or hear that is) for myself in April on board Infinity! BUT LOUD MUSIC CAN BE A VERY DISTURBING ISSUE!!!

I was in the army favourite quote what music do you want ? "Dont care just pay it loud "

Come on folks I am 50 and hopefully will see 90 live a little and if it does not suit do what we have done try another cruise product .

Our first cruise was Princess and I was ready to fling the funeral music CD over the side after day 3

I am 47, have probably listened to too much loud music over the years...have a wide variety of tastes, but top 40 from 80s-today is my fav, with some current country (thanks to DH)...

Funeral music on Princess? We have done 4-7 day Caribbean cruises on Princess & never noticed this...typcially top 40ish of the last 40 years by pool, in bars, very current tunes in the nightclub...hmmmmmm

I wish folks would stop saying things like "most people like". Let me tell you...most young people like loud...very loud. Most old people (like me) grew up with jazz, folk, orchestral music and that's our loudness gauge.

Your first comment is "I wish folks would stop saying things like "most people like"...then you proceed to tell us that "most" young people like loud music & :most" old people grew up with jazz, folk & orchestral music!

I work with young people (teacher) & have 3 teens. I don't find that young people in general like "very loud" music (of course, loudness is subjective).

And my parents (about 70) grew up on the Beatles...

I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence...but find the next 2 far too much generalizations.

Yes, some young people like loud--very loud--music. Some do not.

Some old people grew up on folk, jazz & orchestra...some grew up on rock & roll...some country...etc.

We have been thinking about trying Celebrity because we like their smoking policy, but Princess is pretty good too and we have been mostly happy with them. Our big concern with trying Celebrity is what we have read about the music, specifically:

If all of this is true, we are concerned. We could cocoon on our balcony to avoid noise, but unless we order room service, we would still need to be exposed to thump/thump music while eating. That won't do.

I read that some fast food restaurants are playing classical music in their parking lots to drive away lurking criminals. Is Celebrity doing the same thing. Blasting techno music to drive away those who don't spend enough money drinking and gambling. We don't drink or gamble and I hate to go where I am not wanted.

Only heard Techno type music around the bars. It's usually quiet music in the MDR(that is, if you can hear it over the pax chatting away)

What kind of music do they play on celebrity summit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard a little bit of everything...top 40, Popular Dance Music-stuff you hear in most clubs, R&B, Jazz, Chill out, Piano, Acoustic guitar,Tecno, Classical. Don't remember hearing any hard rock?

Edited by Snorkel Dawg

We have just returned from the Feb 8th sailing of the Reflection. I too had read comments about the loud techno music. I was concerned, but thought... it can't be that bad. I have to say... it was that bad! For the life of me, I can't understand why they would pipe this stuff on the ship, and I wondered who is making this music decision. I also wonder, is it just the Refection, or is it all of Celebrity? One night late in Michael's, there was Beatles music being piped in, and it was quiet in there. It was nice! However, in other areas of the ship... the techno... ugh! Even one sea day, we went up to the Sunset Bar just to sit in the sun for awhile. They had techno music piped in loud, and thump thump thump, it was giving me a headache. Why on earth in the middle of the afternoon they had this music going up there, I could not figure out. I figured the Sunset Bar would be a nice calming place to go sit. We were there for maybe 45 minutes, and ended up leaving, as we saw others doing as well for the same reason. We're in our mid and late 40s. We felt pretty young on this ship, even though there were some guests in their 20s and 30s, the vast majority were in their 50s to 70s, and above. Techno music, in my opinion, is something that would be reserved for late nightclub music. (& I personally wouldn't go there to hear it either.) They would also pipe it in at the pool sometimes, as well as through the Grand Foyer, and could be heard through the ship. I would have loved to have heard some more calming music at the Sunset Bar, and at the pools... or even happy tropical music, or anything but pounding techno. I would think that the powers that be on the ship would play more to their demographics. Every day seemed to be the same. I would have loved to have heard some music variety, such as 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc music... rock, country, hip hop, big band, etc. We also heard the same Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, and Robin Thicke songs over and over. Those were about the only songs I ever noticed, other than the techno stuff being played. Then of course the live entertainment did play more varied music.

*Again, is this a Reflection thing, or an all of Celebrity thing?*

If I get flamed for this so be it:rolleyes:.......I am on CENTURY right now.....

Having a fabulous time:D BUT I will say a few of us did say something

about the music in the MARTINI BAR last night:eek:......it is a Martini Bar,

not a dance club:confused:........the music was BLARING OUT of the speakers

and so we asked if they could turn it down a bit.....they said they

had to ask..............I don't like having to YELL at the person next to

me in order to hear:eek: