keeping it club casual all cruise?

I wouldn't say they've thrown in the towel. Last month I was surprised to hear Ken Rush announcing for the first formal night that if you weren't properly attired you should avoid the Promenade during the Captains meet and greet. That's a pretty busy area and it appeared the majority complied. He also pointed out the restaurants that were casual and those that were not. I've never heard a CD do that on other ships.

Not that I care of course. ;)

Glad to hear that! :thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Wow. They told people to stay off the main corridor of the ship if not in compliance with dress code. I just find that next to impossible to believe. Actually I don't believe it at all.

Nice... Openly calling another CC member a liar. I really doubt he just made that up. :rolleyes:

So, I will take the bait and light the fire, why not yet one more dress code debate.

Sorry, Royal does not have a "DRESS CODE", merely suggested attire. The only thing prohibited is shorts , t shirts and bathing suits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the first cruise we went on we did the formal wear on formal nights....our friends said it was the thing to do. Since then, on our last 14 cruises (all on RCCL), we have gone with a more casual dress even on formal nights. We have been FINE.

I have seen everything in the main dining room, including shorts and t-shirts. Would I wear that, probably not....although I do have a pair of dressy walking shorts that would work just fine. I have seen cargo shorts and t-shirts which should be worn at the pool.

It is your vacation, enjoy it....pack what you want....you will see everything.

I have never seen someone scolded or prohibited from entering the MDR.

Yes it will work just fine. No issues at day or evening for any venue. Club casual is quite nice you won't feel out of place, you can opt to eat anywhere

We just returned from a week's cruise on the Oasis of the Seas on Saturday. For the evenings we wore nice resort wear but no tux/evening dress. We attended our regular dining room seating and did not feel out of place at all. With the airline weight restrictions and multiple venues on the Oasis class ships, less and less people are dressing in formal wear. I wouldn't wear jeans or shorts to the dining room, but nice resort wear or country club casual is just fine.

They're absolutely correct, you'll be fine like that.

I wouldn't say they've thrown in the towel. Last month I was surprised to hear Ken Rush announcing for the first formal night that if you weren't properly attired you should avoid the Promenade during the Captains meet and greet. That's a pretty busy area and it appeared the majority complied. He also pointed out the restaurants that were casual and those that were not. I've never heard a CD do that on other ships.

They requested the same on the Oasis last week - and the Captain's Meet and Greet conflicted with Super Bowl.

There was also a very high percentage of non-U.S. passengers and we were surprised at the numbers of small children eating in MTD after 8:30. (Including crying ones). The Europeans, Brazilians and Asians seemed to really dress up for formal nights.

I wore a simple dress and my husband wore a sport jacket, button down and tie, and we didn't feel out of place for formal nights at all. We did however, feel out of place watching the Super Bowl at the Aqua Theater dressed like that!

Wow. They told people to stay off the main corridor of the ship if not in compliance with dress code. I just find that next to impossible to believe. Actually I don't believe it at all.

I think it was more like asked. Does that make it anymore believable for you?

Not that I care of course. LOL! ;)

They requested the same on the Oasis last week - and the Captain's Meet and Greet conflicted with Super Bowl.

There was also a very high percentage of non-U.S. passengers and we were surprised at the numbers of small children eating in MTD after 8:30. (Including crying ones). The Europeans, Brazilians and Asians seemed to really dress up for formal nights.

I wore a simple dress and my husband wore a sport jacket, button down and tie, and we didn't feel out of place for formal nights at all. We did however, feel out of place watching the Super Bowl at the Aqua Theater dressed like that!

I hope EXCruisin1980 saw your comment. Maybe it will help their inability to fathom such an announcement. As for your other comment, apparently there were Quinceañeras being celebrated on Allure the week of the 26th and yes, they all dressed to the nines.

I think it was more like asked. Does that make it anymore believable for you?

Not that I care of course. LOL! ;)

Asked? yes that does help. Being told, no I wouldn't believe it unless I witnessed it. Enjoy your next cruise! Should I add a LOL too? Here ya go, LOL! ;) Oh by the way, you spelled my name completely wrong or was it a corny attempt at name calling? either way as you say "LOL! ;)" Enjoy the Fuel Teen Disco , my kids love it!

Edited by EZCruiser1980

Asked? yes that does help. Being told, no I wouldn't believe it unless I witnessed it. Enjoy your next cruise! Should I add a LOL too? Here ya go, LOL! ;)

So it was a comprehension issue then. :D:D:D Enjoy your next cruise too. ;)

Some of our best cruises have been those that we kept it casual...eat when hungry...drink when thirsty...sleep when tired...wander into bars...people watch..with no particular place to go or time to be there!!!!

DH and I have enough planned activities in "real life"----relax and enjoy!!!!

:)

I need to learn this; my husband would prefer cruising with this attitude. I get restless. I WANT to relax and enjoy. Well, I do enjoy and relax as much as I can. Which, according to my husband, is not much.

Edited by Shekim

Anyone telling you to go someplace besides the MDR on formal night if you choose not to dress in formal wear is making their own "rules" and not providing accurate information.

RCI does provide guidelines. The guideline exists so that someone understands what casual, smart casual, formal means. They are suggestions, not requirements.

There is a minimum (no hats, no t-shirts, no flip flops, no tank tops, no bathing wear, no shorts). Anything above that is acceptable. Jeans are acceptable however, you may be turned away if they are ripped or torn.

Do not allow anyone to make you believe or feel that you can not have the MDR dinner you have paid for in your cruise fare because you do not dress in either a suit/tie or tuxedo on formal night. That is flat wrong. You have paid for a sit down banquet meal with wait service and you are entitled to enjoy that in comfort as long as you meet the MINIMUM threshold for entry. Under no circumstance does another guest have the right to tell you to go elsewhere. Period. Not up for debate.

People only run their mouths like this when they can be keyboard cowboys, once on board no one will ever say anything to you if you are dressed club casual (which I suspect is a pretty snazzy and sharp level of dress anyways). I often see many people dressed to impress, like they are going out to South Beach for the night, and they look awesome and definitely not a business suit or formal gown amongst them.

Nicely done Max.

Every word of this post should be mandatory reading for every new member of the CC message board (especially the paragraph in bold).

We left our formals at home on our November Oasis cruise, and I'm so glad we did. We, too, were under the impression that we would be out of place in the MDR on formal night, so we'd planned ahead of time to skip our MTD reservation for those two nights and go to the Windjammer instead. We did that the first night, and when we returned the following night, our waiter asked where we were. We told him we hadn't brought formal wear and didn't want to take away from other diners' formal night experience by not "dressing formally", and he laughed and said "you paid for it... you come next time. Nobody cares what you're wearing." So we did. And he was right. On the second formal night, we wore what I would call "resort casual", same as we'd done every other evening in the dining room, and we weren't out of place at all. We didn't take any ties, panty hose, high heels, tiaras, cocktail dresses, or sport coats on that cruise. And we were absolutely fine in the MDR on formal night. Yes, there were some who were wearing cocktail dresses and full suits on formal nights, but there were more who were dressed as we were. We had My Time Dining with either 6:00 or 6:30 reservations every night.

Relax and enjoy. Leave your formals behind. :)

Nobody was arguing until you showed up! :rolleyes: It's not mandatory, but it most definitely is called a DRESS CODE by RCI.

First of all, I didn't say anything about arguing, don't accuse someone of saying something, unless they said it. A debate is a lot different than an argument.

Here is a link to Royal's " What to pack", please tell me where it says "DRESS CODE", when in fact it says suggested attire. There is a big difference between a suggestion and a code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

We left our formals at home on our November Oasis cruise, and I'm so glad we did. We, too, were under the impression that we would be out of place in the MDR on formal night, so we'd planned ahead of time to skip our MTD reservation for those two nights and go to the Windjammer instead. We did that the first night, and when we returned the following night, our waiter asked where we were. We told him we hadn't brought formal wear and didn't want to take away from other diners' formal night experience by not "dressing formally", and he laughed and said "you paid for it... you come next time. Nobody cares what you're wearing." So we did. And he was right. On the second formal night, we wore what I would call "resort casual", same as we'd done every other evening in the dining room, and we weren't out of place at all. We didn't take any ties, panty hose, high heels, tiaras, cocktail dresses, or sport coats on that cruise. And we were absolutely fine in the MDR on formal night. Yes, there were some who were wearing cocktail dresses and full suits on formal nights, but there were more who were dressed as we were. We had My Time Dining with either 6:00 or 6:30 reservations every night.

Relax and enjoy. Leave your formals behind. :)

Thanks for the report. So glad to see the tide turning toward casual. Welcome to the 21st century RCL.

When did he announce that (I've never heard it before, either)? I did my best to tune him out, LOL. I've been on ships where they wouldn't let casually-attired people have their pictures taken with the Captain, but told them just to go into the lounge (on the smaller ships) without one.

And if "properly attired," according to the Compass, would be a coat (no tie mentioned) and a dress (not even a "cocktail" dress the way it used to be), then I think that would be fine for the party.

Yes, there were quite a few gorgeously attired young women and girls on the 1/26 sailing, and many of them dressed up every night. DH pretty much had whiplash after awhile.;)

You would think this, but in practice, older folks who often prefer to dress more formally at meals eat early and younger folks who often dress more casually dine late. I have also noticed that MTD is more casual than the folks "below" in regular dining, and of course you have the option of dining alone with your own party during MTD which also prevents any possible disapproval from table mates.

This is what I've noticed...it is of course a generalization...plenty of younger people may dress formally or older folks enjoying late dining, but this is what I've observed over many cruises with folks in the lines and in the dining rooms!

What I've observed is that many of the 60+ cruisers are the worst-dressed, especially if they've been on RCI a lot. But they often don't go to the MDR at all.

Edited by critterchick

First of all, I didn't say anything about arguing, don't accuse someone of saying something, unless they said it. A debate is a lot different than an argument....

Agree with you and I feel bad you got called out on something you didn't do. :( Everyone who reads these boards knows that dress code/suggestion threads are hotly debated and contested. Yes, some arguments do occur sometimes but not in this case (up to the point where you initially posted, anyway).

~

OP accessorizer, we are not taking formal wear this upcoming cruise and it will be the second time we have chosen not to do so. It feels great not to worry about all of that, plus not to mention we are flying and DH's suit, my dress, and our dress shoes mean an extra garment bag and baggage fees.

Enjoy your cruise.

First of all, I didn't say anything about arguing, don't accuse someone of saying something, unless they said it. A debate is a lot different than an argument.

Here is a link to Royal's " What to pack", please tell me where it says "DRESS CODE", when in fact it says suggested attire. There is a big difference between a suggestion and a code.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

I'd be happy to tell you where it says DRESS CODE. Within RCCL's FAQ, under the heading of - believe or not - "Dress Codes." Nobody is arguing that its mandatory vs. suggested, but don't blast me for calling it a dress code when RCCL calls it a dress code.

What are the dress codes onboard?

When did he announce that (I've never heard it before, either)?

During his morning show. Not only was that a surprise but he also added what dining venues were considered casual or formal. Windjammer and Izumi were on the casual list. There may have been one more casual but I'm not sure.