Oasis, Quantum in 10 years

An OASIS Class or Quantum Class ship will visit Australia within a decade, according to Gavin Smith, regional vice president, Asia Pacific, Royal

Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Speaking to TD Cruise Update at the Cruise3sixty conference on

Fri, Smith clarified a statement made earlier by Sydney Ports

chairman Nicholas Whitlam who said the wharf extension planned

for the Overseas Passenger Terminal would accommodate

5,000-pax ships “that will visit sometime in the near future”.

Speculation that the redeployment of Allure of the

Seas to Europe in 2015 (TD Cruise Update Thu) and this year’s

launch of Quantum of the Seas in the US could mean one of Royal

Caribbean’s megaliners may head down under within a couple of

years was “a misunderstanding”, Smith said.

He explained: “They’re building [a longer wharf at the OPT] to

accommodate those ships that aren’t built yet, rather than

building it to accommodate ships that are already built.”

The Australian market was not yet a financially viable option

for the world’s biggest ships, Smith added, and it was also not

ready for a vessel to be homeported in Sydney year-round,

as it was a “no brainer” to send the ships to Alaska or Europe

during our winter, “but Australia will definitely have an Oasis or

Quantum Class ship within 10 years”, he confirmed.

MEAN WHILE, the company is set to reveal major news

next month, with a “global announcement” touted to be

made in Sydney in early Mar.

Source: Travel Daily cruise weekly update 11 February 2014

An OASIS Class or Quantum Class ship will visit Australia within a decade, according to Gavin Smith, regional vice president, Asia Pacific, Royal

Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Speaking to TD Cruise Update at the Cruise3sixty conference on

Fri, Smith clarified a statement made earlier by Sydney Ports

chairman Nicholas Whitlam who said the wharf extension planned

for the Overseas Passenger Terminal would accommodate

5,000-pax ships “that will visit sometime in the near future”.

Speculation that the redeployment of Allure of the

Seas to Europe in 2015 (TD Cruise Update Thu) and this year’s

launch of Quantum of the Seas in the US could mean one of Royal

Caribbean’s megaliners may head down under within a couple of

years was “a misunderstanding”, Smith said.

He explained: “They’re building [a longer wharf at the OPT] to

accommodate those ships that aren’t built yet, rather than

building it to accommodate ships that are already built.”

The Australian market was not yet a financially viable option

for the world’s biggest ships, Smith added, and it was also not

ready for a vessel to be homeported in Sydney year-round,

as it was a “no brainer” to send the ships to Alaska or Europe

during our winter, “but Australia will definitely have an Oasis or

Quantum Class ship within 10 years”, he confirmed.

Source: Travel Daily cruise weekly update 11 February 2014

Disappointed in this comment.

Sending too many ships to Alaska and Europe, during our winter, has created an oversupply of ships, in those regions, in the past.

Australia, South Pacific and SEAsia are ripe for cruise expansion all year around, not just during the northern winter.

What!! When they are tired and rundown ships then they send them down under to milk us with high cruising fares.

Well said that Girl ....

P&O are experts at doing just that , and the other lines are learning from their fine example.

But we do have Solstice at five years old .. but she is not here for Australians in the main she is here so Americans can visit and not have to lower their standards too much :D

Regards

john

It was not always like this , when migration to Australia by sea was at it peak we were fortunate to see many brand new ships in our part of the world ..I wonder who can name just a few of them ??

Hint O 1 and C and G M and G G come to mind

Well said that Girl ....

P&O are experts at doing just that , and the other lines are learning from their fine example.

But we do have Solstice at five years old .. but she is not here for Australians in the main she is here so Americans can visit and not have to lower their standards too much :D

Regards

john

It was not always like this , when migration to Australia by sea was at it peak we were fortunate to see many brand new ships in our part of the world ..I wonder who can name just a few of them ??

Hint O 1 and C and G M and G G come to mind

I travelled on three of them the ; Canberra, Guglielmo Marconi, Galileo Galilei and the one I did't go on the first Oriana

Regards Frank.

I travelled on three of them the ; Canberra, Guglielmo Marconi, Galileo Galilei and the one I did't go on the first Oriana

Regards Frank.

Hi Frank yes well done ..on those four

Remember also Southern Cross and Northern Star very new and different to what we had seen before

Regards

John

Hi Frank yes well done ..on those four

Remember also Southern Cross and Northern Star very new and different to what we had seen before

Regards

John

I sure do, I live very close to the fremantle port and use to board all the ships and have a walk around them.They were the days John.

Went as close as possible to see the QM2 today she is a real gem of a ship and one day will do her.

Regards Frank.

When the chance came to do a trip onboard QM2 I rushed at it. I'd not be the least interest in the Oasis size ships. They remind me of cattle carriers.

Hi Pushka

I'm old enough to remember 20,000 ton liners , we thought Oriana(1) and Canberra were huge ship at 40,000 tons

I would rather sail on a well designed smaller ship than a large flat bottomed barge with a block of flats grafted to the top

Oronsay, Orsova and even Himalaya come to mind, and we had them all in Australia as new ships ... and like Frank I spent a lot of time investigating them , remember the days when you could buy a visitors pass when the ships were in port ?? now I'm showing my age again :p

Regards

John

Hi Pushka

I'm old enough to remember 20,000 ton liners , we thought Oriana(1) and Canberra were huge ship at 40,000 tons

I would rather sail on a well designed smaller ship than a large flat bottomed barge with a block of flats grafted to the top

Oronsay, Orsova and even Himalaya come to mind, and we had them all in Australia as new ships ... and like Frank I spent a lot of time investigating them , remember the days when you could buy a visitors pass when the ships were in port ?? now I'm showing my age again :p

Regards

John

I loved those ships immensely, so much so that my wife and I are doing the Prinsendam, A mid sized 40,000 tonner approximately, around South America,Antartic and back to Ft Lauderdale in January 2015 and on arrival, on to Rome on the same ship for another 55 days.This will be pure Bliss for both of us.

Regards Frank.

Before the Oasis class ships started cruising out of Fort Lauderdale a complete purpose built terminal was constructed to handle the volume of passengers , and to service and supply the ship .

RCCL have had a hand in designing the new terminals in Singapore and Hong Kong. If one ever came to Australia , Sydney would have to be the turnaround point and that would require a huge investment.

You will not see that at the OPT.

Perhaps Botany Bay or Newcastle maybe ?

I loved those ships immensely, so much so that my wife and I are doing the Prinsendam, A mid sized 40,000 tonner approximately, around South America,Antartic and back to Ft Lauderdale in January 2015 and on arrival, on to Rome on the same ship for another 55 days.This will be pure Bliss for both of us.

Regards Frank.

Hi Frank

What a terrific trip! :D

My favorite of all time is the little Funchal , still in service I was fortunate to sail in her when she was about a year old and sailing for empressa inuslana in her original colours. I will shed a tear when she is no longer with us.

regards

John

Hi Pushka

Regards

John

We cruised on the Oriana over 30 years ago. I'm thinking streamers :p

Really, you all don't want to go on an Oasis class ship one day if one comes to Australia ..... I think you should think again, Oasis of the Seas was launched in 2009 so is only 5 years old, so even in 10 years will be 15 years old. She is an awesome ship with so much to do and an amazing experience.

I think you all should go back and read the first post here, it says the Chairman of Sydney Ports said they are expanding the terminal for 5000-pax ships ... do you really think someone would just say this. Having been on Oasis for consecutive cruises to the Caribbean in December 2013, we only need the Sydney OPT to be expanded to accommodate this class of ship for the purposes of a home port for a cruise. This would be to facilitate the embarkation on day one and disemarkation on the last day of the cruise. The other ports which an oasis class ship would visit might only need to have some dredging done (if at all) to accommodate the ship docking.

Oasis class ships are just as good at managing crowds getting on and off the ship as the smaller class like Rhapsody. In the caribbean they only use a small building for security purposes when re-boarding the ship with xray screening purpose and RCI have this down pat.

I very much look forward to the day that we see this size ship in Australia and will be one of the first passengers ....... but you can miss out if you want too....

Please go ahead and flame me ....... or maybe just admit that you want to go on this class of ship if it comes to Australia....

When the chance came to do a trip onboard QM2 I rushed at it. I'd not be the least interest in the Oasis size ships. They remind me of cattle carriers.

Pushka

So if you think an oasis class ship is a cattle carrier .... what is a freedom class ship, ie. Liberty of the Seas .... have you read your signature lately where it says you went on Liberty of the Seas .. med cruise ... a very happy cruiser ...???????????

Pushka

So if you think an oasis class ship is a cattle carrier .... what is a freedom class ship, ie. Liberty of the Seas .... have you read your signature lately where it says you went on Liberty of the Seas .. med cruise ... a very happy cruiser ...???????????

Sheep carriers are so much nicer ;-)

Edited by The_Big_M

Oasis of the Seas was launched in 2009 so is only 5 years old, so even in 10 years will be 15 years old. She is an awesome ship with so much to do and an amazing experience.

:...

I think this is the part of your message that carries the answer..

So much to do .. I think that some of us dont want to do anything but enjoy being at sea on a ship ... all the rest is smoke and mirrors

At 15 years these large ships will be about half way through their lives , and will be moving into a time where maintaining them is starting to be very costly and the fickle public are looking at the newer ships that have been built .

I'm not saying NEVER , but my first choice will be for ships that are ships first and floating resorts quite a way down my wish list.

But in ten years time I'll be 78 year of age so the cruise lines wont care about loosing what small amount of cruising i have left in me :eek:

Which means between now and then I have to cruise as hard as I can :cool:

I'm sure these resort ships will be a great hit with families, but this crusty old salt will settle for a steamer chair on the prom deck and a good book .. and the odd glass of Scotch ! :D

Regards

John