St Maarten stop - low flying airplanes ??

Rencruzr

I was just wondering with, say Allure or Oasis with their stop at St Maarten whether it is far from Princess Julianna airport because I would love to see where the planes land extremely close to the beach.

Would you also have time to go see it?

would be interested if anyones had experience with this.

We went to this beach and it was one of my favorite things ever on a cruise. The other 3 people I was with sat in the bar and watched but I wanted to be out there, so I stood under a big jet landing and it was an AWESOME feeling although when it lands the sand blowing up into your legs feels like little pin pricks, still worth it, at least to me.

St. Maarten is one of those places where you can get a LOT of bang for your buck renting a car. The rentals are right there at the pier, and it's super easy to get around. Plus you can really explore the whole island- Dutch and French side. I rent a car, cruise out to Maho Beach, and then head over to the French side and have a great lunch somewhere like Grand Case.

Beats any tour or excursion by a country mile.

We grab a cab and go over to Maho every time we're in St. Maarten. We've done all the tours so now we just go over and have lunch at the Sunset Beach Bar and watch the planes and have a few adult beverages. Have fun!!

I also agree with doing a tour with Bernards. We did 2 years ago and it was great. Went all over the island. We did Sunset beach for awhile, then to the salt ponds to see all the iguanas, then to the French side then to Maho beach to see the planes. We had a great day. Got to be on the beach when a jumbo jet went over us. So much fun. Then we went to the bar and had a drink and watched the smaller ones coming in. There is a surfboard stuck in the sand with the times the planes come in.

Do not go over by the fence and hold on while the planes are taking off. There have been a lot of serious injuries from people doing that. Just stay on the beach...

Can you just take a cab to the beach without doing a tour? Are there many bars at the beach?

We just hopped in a taxi and asked to go to the airplane beach, there were lines of cabs to take us back to the ship. I remember one bar that had the landing schedule posted on a chalkboard out front.

You can catch a cab to maho beach.

Make sure you allow a minimum of 2 hours to experience planes taking off and landing, especially the larger planes, you can try and hold onto the fence if you are game enough.

There is one bar at maho beach and it gets pretty crowded as does the road and beach when the planes take off and land.

Go to youtube and search maho or airport beach, you will see what happens there!!! Definitely worth a visit and a laugh at the crazy people who try to hold onto the fence.....

I was just wondering with, say Allure or Oasis with their stop at St Maarten whether it is far from Princess Julianna airport because I would love to see where the planes land extremely close to the beach.

Would you also have time to go see it?

would be interested if anyones had experience with this.

DSC_0359_zpsc1ffe150.jpg

DSC_0291_zpscc99668b.jpg

just took a cab from port and had lunch and beers at Sunset Bar. Most of the big planes come in between 1-2 PM and there are plenty of cabs to take you back to the ship

The pics are from my review - Allure 1-6-13 with pictures

Going on the Oasis in March and going back to Moho!

We took a bus threre in town for $2.00 per person. Dropped us off right at the entrance to Maho Beach. You can pick up the bus (which is really a van that says Maho Beach in the windshield) on Back Street which is in back of the courthouse and the street where all the jewelry stores are. It was also $2.00 to get back into town.

The most impressive landing is the KLM 747 that arrives somewhere between noon and 1:30 or so daily. You'll see some other big jets, and a slew of smaller commuter planes and private planes, but the KLM is really something to see when it comes in.

Immediately behind the beach there is a narrow road. On the opposite side of the road is a chain link fence and the runway is directly beyond the chain link fence. At the far end of the runway are mountains. In order to maximize the runway space, the big planes need to touch down as soon as possible once they are past the beach/road/fence so they come in very low. I've watch in person only once, but on some of the videos I've seen it seems amazing that the wheels of the plane didn't clip the fence. And in the US, no way would cars and people be allowed as close to a runway as they are at Maho Beach, LOL.

Does anyone know the cost of a taxi return?

Thanks

ZJC

Taxis will charge you per person so it depends on how many people you have, the more people, the less per person. There were only 2 of us but we grabbed a cab with another couple going back to the ship and it was either $6 or $8 per person. I forget which. Be careful with the cabs though, the drivers in the orange shirts are licensed and insured. There are other guys trying to take people back who are not.

when we were in the taxi over there last year the taxi driver told us they were getting pretty strict about NOT hanging on the fence because someone had broken their shoulders. I don't need that but standing on the beach as a plane came in to land was exciting. Can't really describe the feeling you just have to do it.

Taxis will charge you per person so it depends on how many people you have, the more people, the less per person. There were only 2 of us but we grabbed a cab with another couple going back to the ship and it was either $6 or $8 per person. I forget which. Be careful with the cabs though, the drivers in the orange shirts are licensed and insured. There are other guys trying to take people back who are not.

Thanks for the tip!

I am either thinking of getting a cab or a tour haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the advice though I wouldn't of known otherwise!

ZJC

Neat photo of Maho Beach

There is also another bar at the other end . . . Driftwood Boat Bar and Grill

There's also the Tortuga Beach Cafe just past Driftwood. Both are far less crowded than Sunset. That end of the beach is far less crowded in general. We ate at Tortuga's the last time we were at Maho and they were happy to let us hang out there for several hours.

Just make sure however you get to Maho, you leave plenty of time to get back to the docks. There was a fire near the airport the last time we were there and we made it back by the skin of our teeth after having to take a long detour back.