Blessed to cruise....

On my afternoon run yesterday, I started thinking about our recent cruise and feeling sorry for myself that I was back in the ‘real world’ of work, bills, house and all the other responsibilities. I was quickly reminded of a couple that we met while onboard this time. At dinner one evening we were talking about some of the living conditions in the countries that we had visited during the week. As the sobering thoughts began to marinate in our minds the husband made a simple, yet profound statement, “we are blessed to cruise”. Though I knew this, it was a good reminder to me to be thankful for every moment.

Sometimes we get so caught up in what we want, on what we think we deserve to have, that we can’t enjoy the simple beauty of being at sea. I know that I am guilty. I mean, how dare they stop putting chocolates on my pillow at night! And how could he forget my towel animal… I need one every night! What?!?!... the Midnight buffet is gone??? (they really did me a favor with that decision) So, I asked myself, “if it was stripped down to just a cruise would I still do it? No shows, no singers, no Flowrider, no rock climbing wall, if the food was just okay, etc.… would I still cruise?” My answer was YES!!!

I know that it takes hard earn dollars and lots of them to cruise, so I’m not suggesting that we should not try to get the most for our money. I am all for finding the best deals possible. But, if we get some food that we don’t like, get something else. If the service was lacking, maybe the waiter was having a bad day or week (we all do). If the line is too long, maybe it’s worth it/maybe not… Let’s face it; there is always something that you can complain about if you are looking for it.

Let’s just remember how blessed we are to cruise… Happy sailing!!!

A very nice statement! Yes we are blessed to cruise. Blessed to be able to cruise! But I just wish it didn't hurt coming back to reality, I hate walking off the ship! I hate the transition from Cruising to Reality. It hits me hard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great thought and I would have to agree. I know on past cruises when DH & I were in a line or waiting for something and anyone behind us in the line would complied about the wait. I would turn & say we're on vacation and not in any rush would you like to go a head of us. It would stop the complaining which is what I wanted. I've learn of the years that I'm am blessed and I like to bless others in ways that they will think about later and maybe bless someone else down the line. Have a Great Day!!

A very nice statement! Yes we are blessed to cruise. Blessed to be able to cruise! But I just wish it didn't hurt coming back to reality, I hate walking off the ship! I hate the transition from Cruising to Reality. It hits me hard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is hard to come back to reality. I think it gets tougher for me with every cruise!

On my afternoon run yesterday, I started thinking about our recent cruise and feeling sorry for myself that I was back in the ‘real world’ of work, bills, house and all the other responsibilities. I was quickly reminded of a couple that we met while onboard this time. At dinner one evening we were talking about some of the living conditions in the countries that we had visited during the week. As the sobering thoughts began to marinate in our minds the husband made a simple, yet profound statement, “we are blessed to cruise”. Though I knew this, it was a good reminder to me to be thankful for every moment.

Sometimes we get so caught up in what we want, on what we think we deserve to have, that we can’t enjoy the simple beauty of being at sea. I know that I am guilty. I mean, how dare they stop putting chocolates on my pillow at night! And how could he forget my towel animal… I need one every night! What?!?!... the Midnight buffet is gone??? (they really did me a favor with that decision) So, I asked myself, “if it was stripped down to just a cruise would I still do it? No shows, no singers, no Flowrider, no rock climbing wall, if the food was just okay, etc.… would I still cruise?” My answer was YES!!!

I know that it takes hard earn dollars and lots of them to cruise, so I’m not suggesting that we should not try to get the most for our money. I am all for finding the best deals possible. But, if we get some food that we don’t like, get something else. If the service was lacking, maybe the waiter was having a bad day or week (we all do). If the line is too long, maybe it’s worth it/maybe not… Let’s face it; there is always something that you can complain about if you are looking for it.

Well said. I work hard and am very busy in my every day life so when I am on vacation I enjoy every moment and feel quite blessed. Very grateful that I am able to go on cruises. This June I will be on my 7th cruise. First on RCI. First to Alaska and first cruise for my husband!! From the moment I step on the ship to my last moment on the ship I LOVE every moment!! Looking forward to June!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is so true! I'm going to do my best to keep in mind how blessed I am on our cruise in 17 days (not that I'm counting). I'll try not to let the little things annoy me because they're better on a ship then on land.

Thanks for starting this post.

AMEN! I really enjoyed your post and wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We all fall into that state of mind where we think that we deserve the absolute best of everything and that any little thing that goes wrong on our vacation ruins the entire thing... But it shouldn't! We are truly blessed, not only to cruise - but for everything that we have, and we should take the same 'step back' to focus on THAT positive, instead of always complaining about the negative.

Good post!

We just got off the Indy on Sunday - our honeymoon cruise. As we were waiting to disembark, I went on Facebook to see what happened while we were gone and noticed that a local TV station is offering $250 to cover people's heating bills for this winter. It's been a rough winter here, as it has been everywhere. So, so many people were saying how much that money would help them cover that expense, with some barely making ends meet. One woman even said she was using her oven every once in awhile to heat her apartment. That's when I realized how lucky and blessed we are to be able to cruise. It was a good "reality check" that helped my new husband and I be grateful not only for cruising, but also for those small moments in life.

I know on past cruises when DH & I were in a line or waiting for something and anyone behind us in the line would complied about the wait. I would turn & say we're on vacation and not in any rush would you like to go a head of us. It would stop the complaining which is what I wanted.

That is great! I may have to use that sometime!

Great post! I agree! We do spend thousands of dollars thinking "We spent such and such money, I deserve......" we need to be thankful that we can cruise, and when we can't, be happy we have cruise critic and live through other peoples adventures". Especially, try and remember you never know what the rccl crew is going through in their life (like someone else said)

Good post!

We just got off the Indy on Sunday - our honeymoon cruise. As we were waiting to disembark, I went on Facebook to see what happened while we were gone and noticed that a local TV station is offering $250 to cover people's heating bills for this winter. It's been a rough winter here, as it has been everywhere. So, so many people were saying how much that money would help them cover that expense, with some barely making ends meet. One woman even said she was using her oven every once in awhile to heat her apartment. That's when I realized how lucky and blessed we are to be able to cruise. It was a good "reality check" that helped my new husband and I be grateful not only for cruising, but also for those small moments in life.

So true, we take a lot for granted.

BTW congrats on your wedding and what a great way to celebrate your honeymoon!

Thank you! Beautiful words...we are spoiled sometimes. What would happen if we left a chocolate for our room steward or a towel animal? Little things can do wonders. We are blessed and we can bless. Praying your day is blessed...

This is so true! I'm going to do my best to keep in mind how blessed I am on our cruise in 17 days (not that I'm counting). I'll try not to let the little things annoy me because they're better on a ship then on land.

Thanks for starting this post.

Have a great cruise!!!

What a great post - I thank you for taking the time to put it into words. I hope alot of people read your post and take to heart what you said. I try to be thankful every day for what i have and not worry about what other poeple have or on a cruise feel blessed to be able to go on one. I kinda feel sorry for the people who whine and complain alot - they are missing the big picture- life is too short ! thanks again

Yes, you are so right. In my 25 years of cruising, I have probably done it at least 16 times, being BLESSED that I could "afford," it. :) To top this off, my husband won't fly, so he always lets me go with one of my friends.

Yes, you are so right. In my 25 years of cruising, I have probably done it at least 16 times, being BLESSED that I could "afford," it. :) To top this off, my husband won't fly, so he always lets me go with one of my friends.

Hey neighbor! Noticed that you live in Gladstone. We are in Parkville.

Beautiful post.

unfortunately, to the ones that do post here that feel entitled, earned the right, mine mine mine,.....blah blah blah.........posts like this fall on deaf ears to those who need a snap back to reality as some seem to far gone to remember how blessed they are.