Forgotten wedding ring on Rhapsody :(

I sailed Oasis. The safe was locked from the previous guest. I called to report it before we left FLL. A non-English speaking guy from the bowels of the ship came up and unlocked. it.

Inside the safe was a wallet. The guy handed it to me. I told him no, this is not mine and that it was from the previous guest. He did not understand. Immediately I then thought that this wallet might be much safer with me than with him as I will certainly find the owner.

Among all of the charge cards, I found a business card with a matching name. I called the number and asked for the name. The poor guy seemed dumbfounded and shocked. Who are you? What are you doing with my wallet? he said. I told him my story.

He then told me that he had sailed two weeks ago. He had been calling Royal asking them to check the safe and send him the contents. They said they would. He never heard back from them and called them again. They said they would.

Here I am, 2 weeks later, with a Royal employee handing me the contents!!!

The wallet owner told me that he had long ago cancelled all of his credit cards but he would still like his license back. I told him that I would report the incident and deliver the contents to front desk management.

I met with management and provided an detailed inventory of the contents of the wallet on a special Royal form.

Management said that the suite attendant is suppose to ensure that safes are open after each cruise. They failed two weeks in a row.

Unfortunately, I never saved his telephone number to follow up to see if he ever received the items.

The whole experience gave me an awful feeling as Royal dropped the ball many times on this one.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but is RCCL really responsible for searching for lost goods? Yes, it would be great if they could, and yes, it would be awesome if they could connect the pile of found merchandise to the list of phone calls/emails I'm sure they receive every single time they sail.

Why is RCCL responsible and not the person that lost it? I just don't understand the mindset that RCCL is "responsible" for everything everybody does on the ship. Isn't ANY effort they make to help recover lost merchandise above and beyond the call of duty?

I have been married for over 27 years, and my ring never comes off my finger. If it is not comfortable to wear, why even bring it with you on vacation?

I always thought that a wedding ring stayed on the finger at all times.

I never took my ring off my finger either until one day I realized I /couldn't/ take it off, and I had to go to a jeweler and have it /cut/ off.

Now my ring comes off every night before I go to bed.

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, but is RCCL really responsible for searching for lost goods? Yes, it would be great if they could, and yes, it would be awesome if they could connect the pile of found merchandise to the list of phone calls/emails I'm sure they receive every single time they sail.

Why is RCCL responsible and not the person that lost it? I just don't understand the mindset that RCCL is "responsible" for everything everybody does on the ship. Isn't ANY effort they make to help recover lost merchandise above and beyond the call of duty?

No, there is no responsibility to search for stuff somebody was careless enough to leave behind. I would think that most stuff the room steward finds that has been left behind is thrown out with the rest of the trash. Perhaps if it was something obviously very valuable might find its way back to Guest Services, or it might find its way into their pocket as a little extra gratuity....

Hello Charliegirlac, It was suggested that you call the ship back and ask for the cabin number you stayed in. It might not be possible to call and ask for just the cabin number. On some of the "calling shore to ship" instructions it says you need to have give the name of the passenger you are calling. ...Do you by any chance know the name of that other passenger who is doing the back to back? If you could call and ask for him, I think he'd likely be willing to go to the cabin and speak to the new residents.

I wish you luck. You must be feeling sick about losing it.

Thank you all for your comments. We will be calling the room this morning and asking the current occupants. I would like to say that I am not blaming Royal, nor do I think they are responsible. WE left the ring in the safe, therefore it is our error. The only issue is this safe is in the middle of the South Pacific so it is not as easy as popping back to the hotel to check the safe. As to why he took his ring off - he too is a creature of habit who gets home from work, takes his watch and ring off and places them with his keys and wallet in a glass bowl. As he leaves for work in the morning he repeats the process. I didn't bring any of my rings on this cruise as they are too large for my fingers at the moment and I didn't want to loose them. I don't 'blame' my husband for bringing his ring with him and wouldn't want to add to his upset by making insensitive and unhelpful comments.

Thank you Gayle for the idea of ringing the CC member in the back to back. I do have his full name as we were lucky enough to sit at the captains table with him on formal night and the photo royal gave us has his name on it - but I don't know his cabin number - do I need it to speak to him or just his name?

Thank you all for your comments. We will be calling the room this morning and asking the current occupants. I would like to say that I am not blaming Royal, nor do I think they are responsible. WE left the ring in the safe, therefore it is our error. The only issue is this safe is in the middle of the South Pacific so it is not as easy as popping back to the hotel to check the safe. As to why he took his ring off - he too is a creature of habit who gets home from work, takes his watch and ring off and places them with his keys and wallet in a glass bowl. As he leaves for work in the morning he repeats the process. I didn't bring any of my rings on this cruise as they are too large for my fingers at the moment and I didn't want to loose them. I don't 'blame' my husband for bringing his ring with him and wouldn't want to add to his upset by making insensitive and unhelpful comments.

Thank you Gayle for the idea of ringing the CC member in the back to back. I do have his full name as we were lucky enough to sit at the captains table with him on formal night and the photo royal gave us has his name on it - but I don't know his cabin number - do I need it to speak to him or just his name?

I always thought you need both the name and cabin number to be put through to a cabin. I would check out the rollcall and see if cabin numbers were posted. Some rollcalls have a list of name and cabin numbers, most don't but worth checking out.

I hope you get the ring back. It is so easy to "lose" something in the safes. I asked my DH to get my wallet out of the safe once and he said it wasn't there. He emptied everything out of the safe and couldn't find it. I had emptied my purse, my carryon from the plane and the beach bag on the bed and was going crazy looking through everthing but found no wallet. I then decided to check the safe and felt around. My black wallet, which was thin because I leave most credit cards at home, was tucked along the side of the safe into the lip that is around the front of the safe. He just didn't see it, I could have killed him at the time, but we can laugh about it now. I now take a bright pink wallet on all cruises.:p I am sure that won't work with your hubby and his ring though.

Good luck.:)

I lost a ring on my first cruise with Royal, never got it back.

Since that cruise I never take any real jewellery with me except my wedding band which is never removed from my finger at home or away.

Unfortunately many people if they find a lost item, especially gold jewellery would just pocket it as a bonus & never hand it in. Some cabin staff may also do the same, after all a gold ring could be a few weeks wages to them in some cases. Temptation would be high for many & they may well think if you are rich enough to cruise you can afford a new ring, not realising the sentimental value it may have.

I was snorkelling in Vila last year at a resort & found a bright orange camera just sitting on the sea floor. I had seen a couple nearby who had seemed to be arguing in a foreign language & looking for something. I asked them if they had lost something & they spoke enough English to advise it was their camera, I asked what colour- they said orange & I returned it to them. They were on their honeymoon & had all their photos on it - they were thrilled to get it back.

I live by the 'do unto others...' motto , but unfortunately not everyone does. Hope you get your ring back, but I will be pleasantly surprised if you do.

I always thought you need both the name and cabin number to be put through to a cabin. I would check out the rollcall and see if cabin numbers were posted. Some rollcalls have a list of name and cabin numbers, most don't but worth checking out.

I now take a bright pink wallet on all cruises.:p I am sure that won't work with your hubby and his ring though.

Good luck.:)

I managed to get through to the room and left a message on their answering service. It is out of my hands now and can only wait and see. I've done everything we possibly can do.

If we need to replace hubby's ring we may just have to get a bright pink one! :)

I hope you manage to get your ring back. ....we all make mistakes at times. I am sure you must both be very upset .

Cannot believe how cutting some people can be.

If you can't say anything pleasant, please say nothing at all !

Your statements cannot be anymore true!!! Due to the anonymity of the internet, things you would not dare say to someone's face are now fair game... especially on these boards!!

I managed to get through to the room and left a message on their answering service. It is out of my hands now and can only wait and see. I've done everything we possibly can do.

If we need to replace hubby's ring we may just have to get a bright pink one! :)

I hope your hubby's ring is found. Please post an update (if and when it happens!)

Charliegirlac, I truly hope your hubby gets his ring back.

You both must be devastated atm. It's not the object but what it represents/symbolise, that's the painful part in losing it.

As said before, if posters can't say anything nice or helpful then don't bother.

Some of the comments, seem a bit more like bullying than being constructive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Edited by Liliny

I am another of those who take off all their rings when coming thro the door, I have a ring holder in the kitchen where they all live.

Would love to think I could have worn my wedding ring since it was put on my finger at my wedding ceremony but sadly as I do a lot of baking including my own bread the flour goes behind /underneath my ring and I get a dermititus rash, so easier to keep it off so it does not happen.

Hope the OP has some success in her quest.

Edited by Missus Makkem

Yet another one who takes her rings (and any other jewelry) off as soon as she gets home;). I've had my engagement ring for over 30 years and at the time I got it slept on my tummy with my hands under my face - wake up with a ring imprint a few times and you won't sleep with it on again! LOL

But I will agree with other posters that the ingredients in hand soaps, etc. can be harmful to your jewelry and cloud the stones. My primary reason is comfort but I am also very, very hard on jewelry - so much so in fact that I buy clearance watches from Walmart etc. because I know I will scratch it up or mess it up within the year and I hate spending a ton of money on one:cool:. And I can't count the number of times I have bent the band on a ring and had to have that fixed - I think I can support my local jeweler sometimes:p.

I have been married for over 27 years, and my ring never comes off my finger. If it is not comfortable to wear, why even bring it with you on vacation?

Agreed. My initial thought was why was it in the safe in the first place.. But everyone has their reasons and it isn't for me to question why..

I hope you can recover the ring. Hopefully it didn't end up in the cabin attendant's pocket.

I've been married over 27 years and it always comes off! But I was thinking...my bras aren't all that comfortable - should I leave those at home? :D

But I was thinking...my bras aren't all that comfortable - should I leave those at home? :D

Go for it.... You are on vacation to be as comfortable as you can. Remember, it is not very likely you will ever see anyone you see on the cruise again. :)

I'm one that never takes off my wedding ring unless I'm doing dirty yard work or gardening. :)

Other than that wedding ring, I never take any of my good jewlery on a trip - cruises included. I have a baggie I keep packed with costume jewelry for all occasions. I have a big note in the baggie turned so a potential thief can view it:

DEAR THEIF - EVERYTHING IN THIS BAG

CAME FROM WALMART - IS WALMART WORTH JAIL???

:D:):D

DH and I have been married 32 years and we both only take our rings off at bedtime and put them back on the next morning after showering. Otherwise, they are only off if we're cleaning or doing work that can damage them. Even then, I always know exactly where my rings are, regardless of where I take them off. Usually it's in my jewelry cabinet, but other times it might be the kitchen table, but I always know. We leave them in the safe if we're doing an excursion that we don't want to take them on and I always check it thoroughly the morning we check out. In 14 cruises we have never left anything behind in a cabin. I take good jewelry on every trip too. If I left anything behind it would entirely be my responsibility and no one elses. While I'd love to believe everyone is as honest as I am, I know that's not the reality. Sad, but true.

Can't wait to hear the outcome, and I truly hope it's positive!

I take my rings off at night, too. My hands sometimes swell at night, making my rings so uncomfortable. At home I put them right into my jewelry cabinet and put them back on after dressing and putting on earrings, etc., for the day. If we're at a hotel, or on a cruise, I put them on the bedside table, but inside my watch, so I see everything when I put on my watch in the morning. Keep the rest of my jewelry in a cosmetic case in the safe.

We opened our safe to insert our wallets at a Disney World resort one time and found a wallet and checkbook in there (they have keyed safes). We called the front desk and a maintenance man and housekeeping supervisor were at the room within minutes. He opened the safe; she did the inventory and took the items. I think that's the way it should be -- witnesses! Goodness knows, we've had to have someone come to the room to reset our cabin safe a time or two (usually the battery has died).

Good luck, charliegalac!

Originally Posted by reedl

Charley Pride sang about that - sorry, couldn't resist it:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4z10tY8H4

Edited by pspercy