Why is Aug/Sept more $ than June for Bermuda?

mafig

I've been looking at Vision of the Seas itinerary to Bermuda from Florida. They are offereing three sailings: August, September and June.

When this sailing first opened up September was the cheapest. I wanted to book it, but I was fearful of hurricane season. August and especially September are close to the peak of hurricane season in Florida and Bermuda. However, the price for September went up and up. Now it's the most expensive and June is the cheapest.

My question is why? From my point of view it would appear that June would be a perfect month to go to Bermuda. What am I missing?

I've been looking at Vision of the Seas itinerary to Bermuda from Florida. They are offereing three sailings: August, September and June.

When this sailing first opened up September was the cheapest. I wanted to book it, but I was fearful of hurricane season. August and especially September are close to the peak of hurricane season in Florida and Bermuda. However, the price for September went up and up. Now it's the most expensive and June is the cheapest.

My question is why? From my point of view it would appear that June would be a perfect month to go to Bermuda. What am I missing?

I'm sure some of it has to do with demand. Kids are back in school, so they need to make up the difference if the cruise doesn't sell out.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It's also still cool in Bermuda in June. We were told that the locals don't even go into the water until July/August.

This would be my take on it. The Atlantic doesn't really warm up until later in the summer. As we say at the Jersey shore, it's better in September.

OK, that may be it and something I hadn't thought of. Although I used to live in New Jersey and all the June brides wanted to go to Bermuda for their honeymoons.

Also, this particular cruise departs from Florida, and will probably have a lot of Floridians booking, and if they're like us, we don't mind it a little cool.

Just guessing but perhaps because the June cruise is only 4 months out and maybe it has not been selling very well, they've cut the fares. You're right that normally Aug-Sep are cheaper in the Caribbean/Bermuda due to tropical storms.

I am on this June sailing and I think that is what it is as well. The June sailing was priced very high when I booked back in October. It has come down in price considerably. I originally booked a Cat F oceanview and switched to a balcony guarantee and was assigned the very next day and awesome D1 balcony for less than the price I originally booked at.

It's also still cool in Bermuda in June. We were told that the locals don't even go into the water until July/August.

LOL June Bermuda water temps will be just fine for 'we Canadians' :) :)

It is a really awkward (lousy) itinerary, IMO. It is 10 days that starts on a Monday, therefore you basically need two full weeks off of work. You'll see prices continue to drop as they struggle to fill these itineraries. Unfortunately I think RCI is going to use this to show there isn't interest in going to Bermuda from Florida.

I would book any RCI ship leaving from any Florida port if it did a 6, 7, or 8 day Bermuda itinerary (weekend to weekend) so that it was work friendly in terms of time off.

It is a really awkward (lousy) itinerary, IMO. It is 10 days that starts on a Monday, therefore you basically need two full weeks off of work. You'll see prices continue to drop as they struggle to fill these itineraries. Unfortunately I think RCI is going to use this to show there isn't interest in going to Bermuda from Florida.

I would book any RCI ship leaving from any Florida port if it did a 6, 7, or 8 day Bermuda itinerary (weekend to weekend) so that it was work friendly in terms of time off.

That is why retirement is great :) The boss always grants 'vacation time' :) :)

That is why retirement is great :) The boss always grants 'vacation time' :) :)

I will get there someday! As for you, I do hope you enjoy and report back. Vision is a nice ship. I'd gladly cutout Nassau and Charleston to make it work friendly though.

Yes, but ..... did you check out the prices for the Sept. 1 sailing? Those prices have done nothing but go up. Balconies started at $1200 and now they're about (haven't checked lately) $2200. WAIT! I just checked - balconies starting at $2989. Looks like there IS an interest in going to Bermuda from Florida (at least in Sept.).

Emmy, I've been lurking on your rollcall and might book the June cruise after we come back from Century (tomorrow). I just wanted to know if there was something I didn't know about cruising in June to Bermuda.

Edited by mafig

I would love to see a Bermuda itinerary from Florida. It is a really awkward itinerary, and doesn't spend as much time in Bermuda as most people want (3 days).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will get there someday! As for you, I do hope you enjoy and report back. Vision is a nice ship. I'd gladly cutout Nassau and Charleston to make it work friendly though.

I look forward to seeing Vision's 'new look' :) newly retired and enjoying it!!