Glacier calving?

2red4u

The first week of June our ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Which would be better to see glacier calving? And any recommendations for a tour operator for it.

You have to get to a glacier via a tour of some kind. None of the above glaciers nearby that calf. You have to get to Glacier bay or Hubbard Glacier to see any calving.

You have to get to a glacier via a tour of some kind. None of the above glaciers nearby that calf. You have to get to Glacier bay or Hubbard Glacier to see any calving.

It sounds like you are on a Holland America itnerary that usually cruises in Glacier Bay before arriving in Juneau. HAL stops and does a 360-degree turn at the two large glaciers so that all can capture the calving. Prior to calving, there is usually a cracking sound and then a rumbling, followed immediately by ice falling. The glaciers are wide and being so close to them, you have to keep panning your camera to capture the exact point of calving.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=415

Enjoy your cruise.

Still don't know what glacier is on the itinerary? But the above reference to Glacier Bay, could be "misleading". IF you truely want to see some calving, then get yourself out where you have the MOST opportunity to see some. This does NOT mean, staying on your balcony, "waiting" for that "view" as the ship "turns". It means, getting yourself where the view is constant, and move with the ship. Margerie Glacier can be very active. The Grand Pacific, much less so. It's all about TIME, the more time you spend looking the more you will see.

As for having Tracy Arm on the itinerary, I only recommend the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion. This is FAR superior to any cruise ship transit.

The first week of June our ports are Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. Which would be better to see glacier calving? And any recommendations for a tour operator for it.

WOW, I have the same itinerary as you. Someone said Glacier Bay calves. I originally picked the NCL Pearl that was going to Glacier Bay. NCL didnt hold the room for me and the next day the price was $500 more so I went with NCL Jewel. I thought all glaciers calve. What a shame. Im going in May so my chances are getting very slim according to this thread. However, I am doing to Helicopter dog sled by Mendenahll in Juneau and maybe I can see calving on the flight. I was hoping to hear that thunderous roar but looks like NOT! I really should have done much more research before I booked this cruise. Lesson learned! Im sure its going to be beautiful anyway :)

WOW, I have the same itinerary as you. Someone said Glacier Bay calves. I originally picked the NCL Pearl that was going to Glacier Bay. NCL didnt hold the room for me and the next day the price was $500 more so I went with NCL Jewel. I thought all glaciers calve. What a shame. Im going in May so my chances are getting very slim according to this thread. However, I am doing to Helicopter dog sled by Mendenahll in Juneau and maybe I can see calving on the flight. I was hoping to hear that thunderous roar but looks like NOT! I really should have done much more research before I booked this cruise. Lesson learned! Im sure its going to be beautiful anyway :)

Your cruise includes Sawyer Glacier, there could be calving while you're there.

JDinWa, I hope so. but I read someone said if you cruise in May, most likely the ship will not be able to get through to Sawyer, ice is too dangerous that time of year. Who knows but it would be nice. My luck the glacier will calve where Im landing with the helicopter lol...I will tell pilot to pick a nice chunk to land on and hold the calving :)

JDinWa, I hope so. but I read someone said if you cruise in May, most likely the ship will not be able to get through to Sawyer, ice is too dangerous that time of year. Who knows but it would be nice. My luck the glacier will calve where Im landing with the helicopter lol...I will tell pilot to pick a nice chunk to land on and hold the calving :)

Sorry but calving won't be happening where you land with the helicopter. Visible calving occurs primarily at the face/terminus of the glacier; these are tidewater glaciers that exist along fjords or the coastline. Mendenhall emptier into a lake; it will calve usually the pieces of ice are relatively small.

If you could get into Sawyer Glacier on a small boat you'd have a chance in Tracy Arm but, as others said, you may not get in in May due to ice conditions.

There can be good calving at the glaciers of Glacier Bay but those glaciers are but a shadow of what they used to be ten years ago.

Probably your best chance for spectacular calving is either the massive and very active Hubbard Glacier near Yakutat or small boat trips into Prince William Sound (from Whittier) or Kenai Fjords National Park (from Seward). Great places to witness the so-called "White Thunder" which you want to see.

Edited by Chenega

Sorry but calving won't be happening where you land with the helicopter. Visible calving occurs primarily at the face/terminus of the glacier; these are tidewater glaciers that exist along fjords or the coastline. Mendenhall emptier into a lake; it will calve usually the pieces of ice are relatively small.

If you could get into Sawyer Glacier on a small boat you'd have a chance in Tracy Arm but, as others said, you may not get in in May due to ice conditions.

There can be good calving at the glaciers of Glacier Bay but those glaciers are but a shadow of what they used to be ten years ago.

Probably your best chance for spectacular calving is either the massive and very active Hubbard Glacier near Yakutat or small boat trips into Prince William Sound (from Whittier) or Kenai Fjords National Park (from Seward). Great places to witness the so-called "White Thunder" which you want to see.

Thank you so much for your post. Sounds like another trip all together. Well, I am sure it will still be beautiful anyway. You responded quickly with such accurate info, did you do this itinerary recently? Thanks for the info

Thank you so much for your post. Sounds like another trip all together. Well, I am sure it will still be beautiful anyway. You responded quickly with such accurate info, did you do this itinerary recently? Thanks for the info

Actually, I'm a local who has lived here for 42 years. I teach geography at one of the local colleges and have traveled extensively throughout Alaska. My wife and I have made multiple trips into Southeast Alaska to see the glaciers and the wildlife; in fact, we are taking an "Uncruise" for eight days this summer from Juneau that spends extensive time in Glacier Bay. I've also done tons of field trips with my students into both Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords since both are a days drive from Anchorage.

We also worked as shipboard naturalists for several cruise lines until we realized that the ships really aren't interested in promoting knowledge about Alaska. They'd rather sell pricey excursions or worry about port shopping than offer an educational opportunity. That's why we like the smaller boat cruises that hold less than 100 passengers.

My wife currently works during the summer for one of the water taxi operators out of Whittier into Prince William Sound and has also worked for one of the small tour boat operators in Seward.

We love Alaska and sharing information about this place. These CruiseCritic boards are one way to do it. :)

Edited by Chenega

The ONLY recommendation I have is to pay for the add on Tracy Arm ship excursion. Put it into your budget at all costs. This could be your only opportunity, IF your ship sails Tracy Arm. Another point, they sometimes do detour to Endicott Arm and the Dawes Glacier, this decision will be made at the last minute. The gamble you take.

No you won't see and calving from your glacier dog sledding. Be certain to also have back up plans as this is the most canceled excursion.

Actually, I'm a local who has lived here for 42 years. I teach geography at one of the local colleges and have traveled extensively throughout Alaska. My wife and I have made multiple trips into Southeast Alaska to see the glaciers and the wildlife; in fact, we are taking an "Uncruise" for eight days this summer from Juneau that spends extensive time in Glacier Bay. I've also done tons of field trips with my students into both Prince William Sound and Kenai Fjords since both are a days drive from Anchorage.

We also worked as shipboard naturalists for several cruise lines until we realized that the ships really aren't interested in promoting knowledge about Alaska. They'd rather sell pricey excursions or worry about port shopping than offer an educational opportunity. That's why we like the smaller boat cruises that hold less than 100 passengers.

My wife currently works during the summer for one of the water taxi operators out of Whittier into Prince William Sound and has also worked for one of the small tour boat operators in Seward.

We love Alaska and sharing information about this place. These CruiseCritic boards are one way to do it. :)

ty for all your help. Sounds like you lead an fun life :)

ty for all your help. Sounds like you lead an fun life :)

This is a great place to live and I love teaching here. FYI - I'm a Southern California native who moved up here in 1972 for a teaching. Although I have family in L.A., I could never live there again. Too frantic!

• 4 weeks later...
This is a great place to live and I love teaching here. FYI - I'm a Southern California native who moved up here in 1972 for a teaching. Although I have family in L.A., I could never live there again. Too frantic!

No way could you go back after all those years! Im sure its such a different way of life. The cruise around Sawyer Glacier. I hope it calves. I hear no guarantee but they all calve and one time or another depending on the weather. Then, someone told me that Sawyer NEVER calves. Figured, mid may should be warm enough? I hear Alaska has had a very mild winter and the Ave temp for mid may in Juneau is approx 60 degrees. Any info you have or anyone else has would be great :)

One thing I will say, if once you hear that 'cracking' sound of the glacier calving, you will never forget it. I know we haven't.

It seems as if there is utter silence as the ship spins by the glacier, and if you do hear it (and you could spend half a day there and NOT see any calving), you will turn around so quickly to see the ice slide into the bay, and as I said, that sound will forever remain with you.

Cheers

Len

One thing I will say, if once you hear that 'cracking' sound of the glacier calving, you will never forget it. I know we haven't.

It seems as if there is utter silence as the ship spins by the glacier, and if you do hear it (and you could spend half a day there and NOT see any calving), you will turn around so quickly to see the ice slide into the bay, and as I said, that sound will forever remain with you.

Cheers

Len

wow, bet it was a powerful sound. cant wait. Hope it calves when we go. Where were you when it calved? Was it Sawyer? LOL, when I first read your reply, i read it as if the ship spins due to the calving and got nervous for a sec, then realized what you meant haha. Hey, just noticed we are almost neighbors. Im in Islip. Sad to say, but someone compared the sound to the sound of the buildings in 911 coming down. Hmm, I cannot comment on that, never been to Alaska. Does the sound and calving last a long time or is it something you can miss by making a drink or bathroom run LOL