Our heavenly week became the cruise from hell

kjbacon

There have been many posts made to let me know that my original post was not appreciated and that's fair enough. Not everyone agrees with everyone (hence part of the success of these boards). Your post however, is extremely insulting and out of line. Trust you? Why? You were not there, what we had was not big waves, you did not hear any of the captain's announcements, you do not acknowledge that I asked about this flight info with my concierge, and you do not even realize that the announcement came before this incident in a completely different context. I NEVER suggested that he would deliberately do harm; I was speaking only of discomfort and have already addressed that.

No, I wasn't there but I know that the captain of a ship would not deliberately cause harm or discomfort to its passengers so he could catch a flight and I think most people on this thread agree with me.

We have had the most wonderful time on The Gem (February 8-February 17) and my review was going to gush over the near perfect vacation. But yesterday, we were in such rough conditions, I do not think that I will ever take another cruise. We have just become platinum level, too. I do not know yet what the specifics were last night but suffice it to say how relieved I am this morning and the conditions are listed as 26.2 ft waves and 41 knots wind speed. It's still difficult to stand or walk but it is not harrowing like it was from approx 8 pm till 3am. I cannot understand how we did not hang back near Florida for several extra hours yesterday instead of sailing right into this thing. Earlier this week, the captain made reference to his 8:00 flight home on Monday and we are now wondering if that is an am flight or pm flight. I am sad to think that we forged ahead to ensure an early arrival for his convenience.

You are on the Gem in the NORTH ATLANTIC!!!!!! Those ships are built to withstand much more that 26 foot seas.......

Sorry to hear your weather was choppy on the ride home, do not impune the credibility of the Gem Captain, who is one of the best in the business because you can't handle the fact that you are on a ship, not in a hotel on land.

You have been lucky to make it to Platinum and never run into high seas. Don't take a trip around Cape Horn, the Drake Passage has 80 foot seas, and although NCL does not have a lot of itineraries down there, there ships are made no differently than the Celebrity Infinity, or Holland Zaandam......both of whom routine make the trip between Buenos Aires, Argentina and Valparaiso, Chile....you want to ROCK.....go on one of those trips!!!!!

Wow, 126 post. One would have thought someone died on the cruise or the ship sank. You had rough weather……..now you know. When you sail out of NYC in February you can hit a bad storm. Think about all the other cruise and cargo ships out there with you. Your still alive and have stories to tell your family and friends…...

No, I wasn't there but I know that the captain of a ship would not deliberately cause harm or discomfort to its passengers so he could catch a flight and I think most people on this thread agree with me.

We don't have to agree on everything and it shouldn't be a contest to see if most people agree with you or not. If nothing else, someone who does not wish to have that kind of situation on their cruise may now know to choose a different itinerary and that's a good thing.

Almost without exception, I would agree with your statement about the captain of a ship. I say almost because two years ago the captain of the Costa Concordia did a dumber thing for a dumber reason and everyone knows that punch line. After 24 hrs of 26 ft seas, approx. 8 hours of MUCH higher seas, howling winds, with no sleep and little or no info, yup my imagination began to wonder what if. No one is perfect, not me, not you, and not all ship captains.

We don't have to agree on everything and it shouldn't be a contest to see if most people agree with you or not. If nothing else, someone who does not wish to have that kind of situation on their cruise may now know to choose a different itinerary and that's a good thing.

Almost without exception, I would agree with your statement about the captain of a ship. I say almost because two years ago the captain of the Costa Concordia did a dumber thing for a dumber reason and everyone knows that punch line. After 24 hrs of 26 ft seas, approx. 8 hours of MUCH higher seas, howling winds, with no sleep and little or no info, yup my imagination began to wonder what if. No one is perfect, not me, not you, and not all ship captains.

Ok so deep breath, all is good now.

And the only reason most of us responded was the statement about the Captain. You want to see your Captain in action saving lives google Gem rescue and you can watch videos of him saving people who were stranded in the North Atlantic between Bermuda and NY. Twice in 2011 within three weeks he and his crew did very dangerous sea rescues and saved people who traveling in those waters in SAILBOATS!!!! (Couldn't pay me enough!!!).

I was on the sailing in between the two rescues and it was amazing talking to him about the first rescue which were on Cruise critic and all over the internet.......he is a very humble man.

A Captain does not just bolt off of a ship when they get to port there takes hours for a Captain to turn a ship over, since he would be going back to Sweden, international, he would not be booked on an 8:00 am flight. He couldn't even get to JFK by 8:00 a.m......let alone 2 hours early.

You had tough waters, it happens. I have been in them too....I have cried. I have been on a ship listing at a 45 degree angle...and I thought we were going under....and then I looked at the waiters, and they were just walking around calmly cleaning up glass and delivering food, and I said to myself when they start running...or crying then you worry.......

It is just like childbirth....all the women remember coming out of the delivery room saying never again.......but very few people stop at one child. You get over it, your forget the pain......same with rough seas.......you get over it eventually:)

Ok here's the latest of what I know. I saw the captain a short time ago; he came to the priority disembarkation. I said "I thought you were flying out this morning" and he said "no, not yet". That's all I got on that.

What fascinates me this morning is the contrast of activity. Earlier in the week, I posted several happy, flowery, positive posts about our cruise and basically no one cared. Got very few responses. Evidently, the truth of the matter is that the negative posts really are what is wanted here. Interesting! I should be overtired and cranky more often, I'd be more popular :)

What was the Captain's reaction when you told him that you posted your thoughts about him racing through treacherous seas to catch his 8 am flight- which was 8 PM

I am sorry the rough ride was hard on you. As you know, that itinerary has substantial chances of hitting rough weather. We have very rough weather returning to Cape Liberrty in December 2012 on RCI' ExOS; we had rough seas and high winds for a couple days. The weather slowed the ship substantially, we docked hours late causing many passengers a stressful disembarkation and some missed flights. fortunately we did not get sea sick, we were able to sleep reasonably well, and had a later afternoon flight.

Any cruise can hit rough weather. we hit a storm on our first cruise...many were unhappy, but we had a great time. That short stormy. Ruise convinced us to become regular cruisers. we have hit storms on several of the 45+ cruises since; never has a day of rough seas caused me to reclassify a good sailing as a cruise from hell. I did once question a Captain's choice (our NCL captain sailed suck to his itinerary, sailing us into the National Hurricaine Center's prediction cone, and the eyes of the hurricaine hit withing miles of our position. the Princess cruise that left at the same time rerouted and sailed away from the storm. those passenger's got cooler, sunnier skies over smooth seas while we got warm but windy, rainy, cloudy over choppy to very rough seas). While I think our Captain made the wrong choice, I believe he tried to deliver on the passengers' chosen itinerary, and I do not think he was influenced by his own personal needs. I never felt the ship was in danger. We have sailed again many times since.

If after some rest and reflection, you still believe hitting such weather again will ruin your perception of a future cruise, perhaps you should research other vacation options. I am not sure you will find an option without drawbacks, but weigh your options. We have, and we keep cruising.

I don't recall the wave heights being listed much higher than 26ft or so and I was up off and on throughout that Saturday night with the navigation channel on because the wind kept waking me up. How high did you see them get to? Just curious because I was really wondering if they actually did get higher while I did manage to catch a few winks.

Capt. Schettino, in my opinion was stupid, he changed course for the fun of showing off his ship. Very stupid and not forgivable. We agree. He's facing 20 years in prison. He really is an exception and for the most part that has been proven over the years within the cruise industry because day after day, ships captains make decisions which makes cruising one of the safest modes of transportation out there. My point was this.. IF you feel that a captain of a ship you sail on would be so selfish as to make 4000 suffer because he has an apt. I can't understand where you get enough faith in them to board a ship anywhere and anytime. I view ships captains with very high esteem and trust them and their decisions. You also say that after your google search you determined that hanging back might have been the best way to go also indicating your second guessing the captains decisions. For me, I have no background in weather, wave heights, currents, wind directions or any other very complicated issues regarding these storms to even fathom making that determination or thinking that the captain was making the wrong decision.

I was on this cruise also....:) Hearing for some is selective for sure.

Saturday morning during the Captain's daily update he said, "I have been onboard for 10 weeks and will be going home Monday. The forecast is calling for more snow late Monday AFTERNOON, so I will be talking to those weather gods because I have a flight at 8 o'clock!"

As for the rough ride......the Captain DID warn us to get ready for a rough ride later in the day and into the night.

It was a little rough but, no way was it dangerous....none of the shows/activities were canceled. Everything went on as planned, including the late night White Hot party.

We were in our cabin on deck 9, which was centered directly above the Blue Lagoon, about 1 AM, when we checked the TV for stats. I remember commenting to my DH, "holy crap relative wind is 57 knots & wave height was 26 ft." I opened the curtin to look out and jumped back when I saw the wave's.....it was dark but you could tell it was wild out there! I laugh now because I did use the child safety latch on the balcony door handle...LOL Sleeping was a challenge if you were a side sleeper. To make sure you stayed put in bed, it was flat on your back or stomach, other wise you rolled left/right with the ship!

We where out and about all afternoon & late into the evening and we didn't see any sick people!!! I did see ONE gentleman quickly get up and leave a bar stool around 7, as we were heading to the theater, and his wife yelling where you going? Spectulation on my part but, he was heading in the direction of the mens room, so maybe he was feeling the effects......

And don't blame the rough ride on sailing out of NYC in the winter, this all started happening off the coast of Florida....:rolleyes: :p

Happy Cruising......:)

Edited by massfriends

Sounds like cruising is not for you. Your post title was baiting and the comment about the captain even more off base considering the last post. This thread has had enough attention....

+1 [Like]

Norweign sailors and ship captains are among the best, if not the best, for centuries.

NCL's ships, especially the Gem or the jewel class, are built to handle the Atlantic Ocean, where rough seas are expected.

Apparently, nearly all the rest of your fellow cruisers on the same sailing - at least majority of the 2,500 passengers on this typical winter sailing did not experience "hell".

What does the Costa Concordia and that ship's captain got to do with your cruise from "hell?" :confused:

The power of one's imagination - make believe. :rolleyes:

Edited by mking8288

My husband and I just returned from the Gem yesterday also. After 18 cruises (on various lines) including transatlantics, this was one one the rougher days at sea that we have experienced and guess what...we survived!! That said , it is completely ridiculous to even suggest that the captain was either rushing through rough seas for his own agenda or that he should have hung back near Florida until the weather cleared. The captains and crews of these cruise ships always act with the best interest of their passengers in addition to actually having a schedule to keep ...this is a job you know. To even suggest that the captain was "rushing" through rough seas because he had a flight to catch is even beyond the term ridiculous. I will say it again...THIS IS A JOB...and I sincerely doubt that he would jeopardize it just to catch an early flight. So ridiculous.

This cruise was lovely, the weather was wonderful as was the captain, crew and entire staff. If a few hours of rough seas would make someone negate all that then perhaps a cruise vacation should not be their first choice.

My husband and I just returned from the Gem yesterday also. After 18 cruises (on various lines) including transatlantics, this was one one the rougher days at sea that we have experienced and guess what...we survived!! That said , it is completely ridiculous to even suggest that the captain was either rushing through rough seas for his own agenda or that he should have hung back near Florida until the weather cleared. The captains and crews of these cruise ships always act with the best interest of their passengers in addition to actually having a schedule to keep ...this is a job you know. To even suggest that the captain was "rushing" through rough seas because he had a flight to catch is even beyond the term ridiculous. I will say it again...THIS IS A JOB...and I sincerely doubt that he would jeopardize it just to catch an early flight. So ridiculous.

This cruise was lovely, the weather was wonderful as was the captain, crew and entire staff. If a few hours of rough seas would make someone negate all that then perhaps a cruise vacation should not be their first choice.[/QUOT]]

I agree with everything you said. If you can't take rough seas, I think you shouldn't cruise. Its bound to happen, its the ocean, storms happen. I have had few very rough cruises 40 ft. seas with gale force winds about 10 years ago and more recently the winter of 2012 we were in 27 ft. with gale force winds. We can't control mother nature ! Happy sailing.

To even suggest that the captain was "rushing" through rough seas because he had a flight to catch is even beyond the term ridiculous. I will say it again...THIS IS A JOB...and I sincerely doubt that he would jeopardize it just to catch an early flight. So ridiculous.

This cruise was lovely, the weather was wonderful as was the captain, crew and entire staff. If a few hours of rough seas would make someone negate all that then perhaps a cruise vacation should not be their first choice.

Plus...if the passengers are in danger, then so is the captain...

Rough weather can happen at any time its part of cruising. My husband and i were on the jewel when hurricane sandy hit. The captain did an amazing job keeping everyone safe. Although the itinerary had to be modified we still had a great time its what you make of it.

We were on that sailing...I toppled right off the bed at one point. :eek:

Our first cruise was from Florida to The Bahamas. There was a storm out at sea, and although we did not get hit by the storm the seas were angry! There were barf bags everywhere, we watched the water slosh out of the pool. We watched a few waves get the deck a little wet. Since it was out first cruise we had no idea how bad it really was, until a bartender told us that he is seeing some crew members get sick that he has never seen sick before.

When we went out next cruise we were prepared for the worst, but really it wasn't that bad, not compared to our first cruise... and that was those through those rough waters to Bermuda.

So really it's all what you are used to and the luck of the draw. Or the luck of the wave. Hopefully the next cruise wont be so bad for either you or I!

I know we are exceptions to the rules but My Family and I love when we hit rough seas at night. We enjoy the rocking of the ship while we are sleeping. Over our past Cruises we have hit some rough seas and never did we even think that the Captain is going through the Storms internationally or to make a deadline.

I know we are exceptions to the rules but My Family and I love when we hit rough seas at night. We enjoy the rocking of the ship while we are sleeping. Over our past Cruises we have hit some rough seas and never did we even think that the Captain is going through the Storms internationally or to make a deadline.

I love it too. If reincarnation is true, then maybe I was a whaler-fisherman in a past life.

Other than that, I still don't get the itinerary of this ship/sailing. If they were going to the Caribbean, then they had to traverse the Trench, outbound and return. This would account for at least some of the rough sailing.

but then, nobody pays any attention to the facts...they just continue to post based on emtional nonsense.