Grand Central To Brooklyn Cruise Port

janetz

According to http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Estimated cost:

That cab ride would cost about $24.70. That is roughly $28 with a 15% tip. It is about 8.8 miles. There is a $0.50 New York State tax on all taxi rides

Be sure to print out the directions to the port as many cab drivers do not know how to get there and driving around will only run up the meter., Directions:

http://www.brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html

Edited by Love the beach

According to http://nyc.taxiwiz.com/?lang=en

Estimated cost:

That cab ride would cost about $24.70. That is roughly $28 with a 15% tip. It is about 8.8 miles. There is a $0.50 New York State tax on all taxi rides

Be sure to print out the directions to the port as many cab drivers do not know how to get there and driving around will only run up the meter., Directions:

http://www.brooklyncruiseguide.com/cruise-terminal.html

To me, "taxiwiz" fares always look low, and I think I found out why...their formula is wrong...they aren't using the correct NY City taxi rates.

I'd say their fare estimate for this trip is about $5 too low.

Edited by njhorseman

To me, "taxiwiz" fares always look low, and I think I found out why...their formula is wrong...they aren't using the correct NY City taxi rates.

I'd say their fare estimate for this trip is about $5 too low.

This one shows $33 after 20% tip...

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=NY&from=Grand+Central&to=72+Bowne+Street%2C+Brooklyn%2C+NY%2C+United+States

Did a quickie price check using Carmel, our semi-offical car service in NYC for airports & cruises and it's $38, flat rate quote for a regular sedan that will take up to 4 pax or 2 pax with 2 suitcases & carryons easily. Used Grand Hyatt Hotel @ Grand Central & 42nd. Street to 72 Browne Stree, Brooklyn NY (address for the Pier) and with online coupon discount of $3 - that'll be $35 + tips, no surprises if you run into weekend traffic heading downtown on the FDR via E. 34th Street, going across the East River or on the BQE toward Red Hook.

Edited by mking8288

Did a quickie price check using Carmel, our semi-offical car service in NYC for airports & cruises and it's $38, flat rate quote for a regular sedan that will take up to 4 pax or 2 pax with 2 suitcases & carryons easily. Used Grand Hyatt Hotel @ Grand Central & 42nd. Street to 72 Browne Stree, Brooklyn NY (address for the Pier) and with online coupon discount of $3 - that'll be $35 + tips, no surprises if you run into weekend traffic heading downtown on the FDR via E. 34th Street, going across the East River or on the BQE toward Red Hook.

That sounds good. How long is the coupon good for?

Those online coupon with expiration dates are offered almost year round, as occassional Carmel customer, we also get them direct via email. Just print them out & follow directions, write the provided code & hand it to the driver (they will deduct it & usually already know about the adjustment) - plus you will get an e-receipt for the ride, no fuzz & easy.

Here's the link - http://www.carmellimo.com/coupon1.htm It's $3 off any ride and $4 off any airport ride.

iOs and Android apps are free from the Store, download & you can register for an account to simplify matters, i.e. email notification/reminders & contact info, etc.

Dial7 is the other recommended car service for NYC here on CC (and, also on FlyerTalk) but we find their prices to be slightly higher for most trips, and they also reserve the rights to impose a surcharge for "rush hour fees" and I quote, "Prices are subject to change without prior notice and may be higher during holidays and special events." Nothing like that, thus far, with Carmel - if others had, please note the corrections, TIA.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. :) Doing a repo in October and thinking of taking the train in, or getting someone to drive us down. Although I have been to the big apple many times, I am now thinking of taking a few days before the cruise to visit again.

a reminder if taking a yellow cab have the directions with you. The cab might not want to go and say that don't know. The directions are very simple. as long as its not the rush hour the fastest way is to take the FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge take the first exit on the Brooklyn Bridge make the right at the end of the exit and follow that around to the left until the end(Furman Street) do not get on the highway. make a left at the end at Furman Street.

take that until the end make a left and an immediate right. follow that until you can make the first right( 3 lights) make the right follow that around the turn go straight until the second light make a right into the cruise terminal. Time without traffic and traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge 20 minutes. with traffic more...

The cruise terminal is located behind the Brooklyn exit of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn. From the east side there is no reason to take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel(which is located on the west side of Manhattan)

here are the mapquest directions

http://mapq.st/1jWZpYD

Edited by smeyer418

a reminder if taking a yellow cab have the directions with you. The cab might not want to go and say that don't know. The directions are very simple. as long as its not the rush hour the fastest way is to take the FDR to the Brooklyn Bridge take the first exit on the Brooklyn Bridge make the right at the end of the exit and follow that around to the left until the end(Furman Street) do not get on the highway. make a left at the end at Furman Street.

take that until the end make a left and an immediate right. follow that until you can make the first right( 3 lights) make the right follow that around the turn go straight until the second light make a right into the cruise terminal. Time without traffic and traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge 20 minutes. with traffic more...

The cruise terminal is located behind the Brooklyn exit of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel in Brooklyn. From the east side there is no reason to take the Brooklyn Battery tunnel(which is located on the west side of Manhattan)

here are the mapquest directions

http://mapq.st/1jWZpYD

To the OP:They changed the name of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to the Hugh Carey Tunnel. The cab driver should know this. . . .but you never know;)

Did you stay at Grand Hyatt? I am staying there in July and am totally confused as to the type of meal available to buy to take to the room from the Market place in the Hotel. Did you eat at a café close to the hotel? I have mobility problems , had assumed from AAA that hotel had restaurants, but information now is "no dining room, and no coffee /tea makers in room".

Would not be surprised to read one day that we have to clean our own rooms and make our own beds!!!!!

GH is local to us and been there over the years as a conference hotel, meet up with out-of-town friends for weekend brunch & happy hours.

It's on top of the Grand Central Station (train terminal & underground subway system) with numerous shops, restaurants & indoor cafe, etc. inside the complex and it is very much "accessible" with ramps & those on "wheels"

I would shop outside the hotel's overpriced Market Place - not aware of NYC hotels trying to enforced what you can or cannot bring up to your room to eat or in the front of takeouts, etc. Heck with them - sure you got one of those "green" shopping totes from cruising & shopping to carry them back up.

As for no coffee/tea or hot water maker in the room - guess they wanted you to order overpriced Room Service. GH - checking their website - they do have a # of onsite dining options. There are a # of 24 hour deli in the area in addition to those inside the GCS Terminal, steps away from the GH and surely someone else traveling with you can do a little walking around - link to 35+ dining options, open 7 days a week with shorter hours on weekends - here: http://www.grandcentralterminal.com/dining

Skip Starbucks and check out Zaro's Bakery for fresh & hot goodies, one of our favorite & the other ones in our own neighborhood has been around for 50+ years.

Thank you so very much for your information MKing8288, my concern is that I travel solo, and am very senior (88) .

Your link was wonderful, I have printed it out, it is so very good. I feel so much more confident now. Usually I dine in the hotel, this will be the first time I have stayed at Grand Hyatt. (July 5th overnight).

I do so much appreciate your help

Lynn