No Soap For You!

mpicard

We were on the Magic in February and had plenty of soap and toothpaste throughout the week. Wish I could say the same for ice in the ice bucket. What I find funny is we always take our own soap, should have sent it to the other ships. Guest Services blew it on their advice to the OP.

Been reading the posts for this Soapy sienfeldflashback and was tickled. Spouse and I have always "saved" the extra little bars of soap from whatever hotel we were staying at , some were better then others, and now the result is we have a huge bag of these we keep in our little travel bag, but do not necessarily take with us, when we travel. We usually pull one or two out and stick it in the bag so we have some if we need it. I think that was really funny/weird that when you asked they gave you grief over a bar of soap! Glad it wasn't something really important like coffee or something!

Had four bar soaps on the Inspiration this past weekend.

Did you ask your room steward for another bar?

We were on Valor 2 wks. ago, and there were six or seven circular bars in our cabin!

Puzzled as to why you'd ask Guest Services for a replacement! :confused:

I'm almost positive this would be a Housekeeping matter -and stock/supply.

I would have asked my cabin steward.

Edited by Aplmac

Just bring back the chocolate on the pillow and all is forgiven.
I don't know what kinda crap Carnival boats or ships y'all cruise on..

but those chocolates have been back now, for ages!

So many of them, I came ashore with about ten of them, spare! Literally!

Lots of soap too!

I suggest y'all try to cruise on Carnival's larger, more modern ships

No brand - just a small, white, round bar in a clear plastic wrapper with SOAP printed in large black letters.

Soap, I thought it said Soup. I soaked it in hot water and drank it. Now that I know that there is soap available, I am going to ask for more. I didn't like the last one. Didn't taste all that good.

I don't know what kinda crap Carnival boats or ships y'all cruise on..

but those chocolates have been back now, for ages!

So many of them, I came ashore with about ten of them, spare! Literally!

Lots of soap too!

I suggest y'all try to cruise on Carnival's larger, more modern ships

What's newer than the Breeze?:p No chocolate shortage but did only have the one bar of soap and no amenity basket.

Yes, you could have to bring your own toilet paper.

Do not laugh too hard. My husband is picky about his toilet paper to the point that he brought a roll of his own on his last cruise.

Before you start telling me how bad it is on the ship plumbing, I told him that, but he said his backside could not tolerate the "sandpaper" they handed out, and he would use it sparingly (which he did).

Thanks! It's funny - that's what I used to call both of my daughters through their first years, Babyduck - totally unrelated to that silly costume. It was just a coincidence, and I'd never thought about it until reading your post. At first I thought "how the heck can she know about 'Babyduck'"?:eek::p:o

OK, that's enough hijacking for me. Let's get back to the very important work of discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of various soaps, whether or not they are available onboard, and whether one should have known to bring one's own soap on a cruise.:p

Gotta love CC.:cool:

I have a Baby Duck too! (Well, he's not a baby anymore--13 going on 23!) My mom called me Baby Duck too so that's why I call my son Baby Duck. :) Love the pic of your Baby Duck--how adorable!!!!

Edited by Elegant Tragedy
Hit enter too soon

We had 2 bars on the sink counter when we entered our cabin on the Legend 2 weeks ago.. Sometime during the week the cabin steward place 4 more bars in the "clam shell" bowl.. We've never lacked for soap and have always received an extra bar when we asked for one...something is amiss I fear..

However, the bars have shrunk, and we quit getting the sample baskets. Haven't seen a sample basket since cruising on the Elation.

In December on the Magic we had plenty in our sample bowl. Last week we had two items in the bowl. A toothpaste and a breath right strip. Personally the bowl looked ridiculous with just two items in the huge bowl. I think they need to get rid of it if all they have is one or two items to put in it. :rolleyes:

We were on Valor 2 wks. ago, and there were six or seven circular bars in our cabin!.

This is because the new variety of bar soap does stink and people aren't using it and or bringing their own now that the quality has deteriorated. We didn't use it other than to open it and try it once to confirm how foul smelling it truly is. We tossed it and used a liquid pump bottle of anti-bacterial soap when washing hands in the cabin.

I like bar soap, as long as I am the only person using it. When I travel, I usually bring a small bar of it along as back up if none is available where I go. So maybe next Carnival cruise, I will bring a long an extra one or two.;)

As far as how Carnival's bar soap smells; my last cruise was 4 years ago, and the bar soap was a fairly large round green disk of very nice smelling soap. Maybe things have changed though.

Edited by SMSACE6

Thanks for the update. What's next, pre-wrapped sandwiches served at dinner with the word "food" printed on the wrapper ? j/k I always have had fun sailing Carnival and it's my line of choice still.

*LOL* Right after they put a big neon sign that says "EATS" over the entrance to the MDR :)

Maybe things have changed though.

I'll say! You're referring to the Bienvenue of Paris bar soap that was pleasantly scented. The new soap is labeled SOAP in black block letters. I wouldn't donate the unused bars to a shelter for the homeless, it's nasty.

Edited by sanmarcosman

OP, your Seinfeld "Soup N***" reference was funny and appreciated.:p

And I get it - you wanted a bar in the shower and another bar at the sink. DH and I always want that, too.

It is ridiculous to be chastised for not taking your own soap, and a perfectly reasonable assumption that not only would the cruiseline provide bar soap, but would be willing to part with more than one bar per cabin per week.

Since Carnival cut back the quality of their soap from the green "Beinvenue" bars to the crappy, chalky, white bar in the bag labled "SOAP" in big, black letters, DH has been bringing his own soap. His own soap is actually the old Carnival Bienvenue bars, from a stash he was given by our room steward years ago. I suspect Carnival got a deal with the suppliers of prison soap for that nasty white stuff.:rolleyes::p Promotional item, right.:rolleyes:

You are right that the generic SOAP is not, as Martha would say, a good thing.

We should have brought TP on our recent Sapphire Princess cruise. The first day the ship was low on a lot of things.

We only had one partial roll with no spare. With three in the cabin it went fast. Luckily we got more rolls just before the first truly ran out.

We were about to resort to stealing some from a public bathroom.

Had an almost Seinfeld flashback experience on Fantasy a few weeks ago.

On entering our cabin, there was a small wrapped piece of bar soap on the sink, just like you see in any hotel from the cheapest flop house to the most expensive luxury resort. Little bitty wrapped bar soaps are the norm in travel. On Carnival they have liquid soap dispensers in the showers. I don’t care for liquid soap, I prefer bar soap. So I moved my little bar from the sink into the shower, but it wasn’t replaced the next day. So I went down to the customer service desk and asked for an extra piece of bar soap and had my SNL-skit experience:

"We don’t have bar soap,” the rep said.

"But there was one by the sink when we arrived."

"Oh, that’s a ‘promotional item.’ We don’t replace promotional items."

"'Promotional item?' Soap? Seriously?"

"The liquid soap is complementary. The bar soap is meant to last you seven days. You can buy soap in the gift shop."

"Wow."

I tried not to laugh, it was both funny and sad that Carnival is cutting costs so much that they take a hard line on not doling out a .20 cent piece of soap for a probably rare request such as mine. This wasn't the only cost-saving measure noticeable --my husband is still going on about his supposedly watered-down martini--but it is the most bizarre I think I've ever experienced.

Why would you go to Guest Services?

I see that you only cruise once per year and I guess the Fantasy must have been your 2013 cruise and your first Carnival experience.

Unfortunately, you got a bad impression from your 1st experience on Carnival. We've been on 15 different Carnival ships and never had less than 3 or 4 bars of soap in our bathroom.

I bring home at least 2 per cruise and use them in all 3 of my bathrooms here at home for the sink.

And what are you basing your noticeable cost savings measures if you haven't been on any other Carnival cruises? How do you water down a martini?

Had an almost Seinfeld flashback experience on Fantasy a few weeks ago.

On entering our cabin, there was a small wrapped piece of bar soap on the sink, just like you see in any hotel from the cheapest flop house to the most expensive luxury resort. Little bitty wrapped bar soaps are the norm in travel. On Carnival they have liquid soap dispensers in the showers. I don’t care for liquid soap, I prefer bar soap. So I moved my little bar from the sink into the shower, but it wasn’t replaced the next day. So I went down to the customer service desk and asked for an extra piece of bar soap and had my SNL-skit experience:

"We don’t have bar soap,” the rep said.

"But there was one by the sink when we arrived."

"Oh, that’s a ‘promotional item.’ We don’t replace promotional items."

"'Promotional item?' Soap? Seriously?"

"The liquid soap is complementary. The bar soap is meant to last you seven days. You can buy soap in the gift shop."

"Wow."

I tried not to laugh, it was both funny and sad that Carnival is cutting costs so much that they take a hard line on not doling out a .20 cent piece of soap for a probably rare request such as mine. This wasn't the only cost-saving measure noticeable --my husband is still going on about his supposedly watered-down martini--but it is the most bizarre I think I've ever experienced.

mipcard - I thought of you immediately after we got to our cabin last week! ;) We had four whole bars of soap in our little shell thing on the Dream. I don't know what kind, only that they were round and I thought, stinky. LOL I don't know if those were the ones you were looking for. I laughed for you though. :D

I'll say! You're referring to the Bienvenue of Paris bar soap that was pleasantly scented. The new soap is labeled SOAP in black block letters. I wouldn't donate the unused bars to a shelter for the homeless, it's nasty.

The photos and references to this soap, which I thankfully have nor experienced, reminds me of the TV show LOST. Does anyone else remember in the flashback scenes on the island where all of the products used by the DHARMA workers were all in generic white packages with black block lettering and the DHARMA logo....."BEANS, BEER, FRUIT, etc."

From the sounds of it, this may be another good reason to arrive a day ahead of time for the cruise---to buy soap and shampoo!

We always bring our own soap, and most definitely shampoo and conditioner. That crap that they put in those dispensers is absolute garbage. My wife and I always giggle because we can tell who's been using the "Carnival-provided" shampoo. Their hair usually looks like this:

perm.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

TAPI,

What makes you think you can take my picture and use it without my permission? I happen to love the dispenser shampoo/conditioner/cream rinse/damaged hair repair/serum/... on Carnival ships.

Jokes at my expense will be costly, you'll be hearing from my attorneys.

Just for fun, I pulled out one of DH's (last 2) old Bienvenue soaps and took a picture to add to this enthralling thread.:p:D

This was the good ole soap:

BoatSoap.jpg

(Yes that is a Carnival beach towel serving as the backdrop.:cool:)

Soap, I thought it said Soup. I soaked it in hot water and drank it. Now that I know that there is soap available, I am going to ask for more. I didn't like the last one. Didn't taste all that good.

Oh my gosh! Too funny. :D

Reminded me of the 4" long tubes of something in the basket on my last cruise...they WERE supposed to be mixed with water for a "cool refreshing drink"!!! Looked nasty!

I keep the dozens of chocolates I get all week long and bring them to the office. I hate mint chocolate, so I was really surprised when I broke down and ate one of the squares and it was yummy, no mint chocolate!