Marina - Valparaiso-Papeete, Dec 28-Jan 15, 2014 - Trip Review and Pictorial

computerworks

Thanks for remembering to finish your trip report!! In the meantime, since you first started your report, we took our cruise on the Marina from Papeete to Lima. It was perhaps the best itinerary we have ever had.

It started with a movie out on deck in the warm, humid night---it was South Pacific with Deborah Kerr. Fabulous beginning to our cruise. Then, a week or so later, we saw Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando. When we went on private snorkeling excursions, we ate breadfruit as part of the motu picnic lunch. The Bounty was in the South Pacific to gather breadfruit plants for Britain's laborers in its colonies!

We thoroughly enjoyed the two days in the Easter Islands. As usual, the Pitcairn Islanders came on board and presented an interesting lecture on island life and sold their crafts and honey. We circumnavigated the island while one of the islanders narrated what we were seeing. It was a very enjoyable day.

Your pictures are terrific. Could you tell us what camera you were using? Of course, you do have an eye for composition and that adds to your great photos.

Thank you so much for devoting so much time to your report.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

OK, not to be a pest, but I just looked at your photos and story, as one week from today, we start our great adventure in Chile and French Polynesia. Any chance you can do some more in the next week - maybe a couple shots of Pitcairn and its islanders, or jump to the Tuamotus? Would love to see some more!

Have a wonderful 2016, with lots of good cruising!

-Ruth, who's about to be working on her bucket list (Easter Island)

OK, not to be a pest, but I just looked at your photos and story, as one week from today, we start our great adventure in Chile and French Polynesia. Any chance you can do some more in the next week - maybe a couple shots of Pitcairn and its islanders, or jump to the Tuamotus? Would love to see some more!

You might have to wait a bit more, Ruth.:) Computerworks aka Ron, is on the Marina right now doing a South America cruise.

You might have to wait a bit more, Ruth.:) Computerworks aka Ron, is on the Marina right now doing a South America cruise.

Hhmm...guess he'll be getting off when I get on Marina in Valparaiso! Maybe he's going around the Horn right now, as I know the cruise before ours does that...jealous...I think I'm going to love what little I see of Chile, and want to go back! Wish he could at least tell me who the cruise director and captain are now..but was planning to ask Oceania in the morning. Can't wait for my time to come....which will be soon! Thanks for letting me know he's out of pocket...

Edited by roothy123

Hhmm...guess he'll be getting off when I get on Marina in Valparaiso! Maybe he's going around the Horn right now, as I know the cruise before ours does that...jealous...I think I'm going to love what little I see of Chile, and want to go back! Wish he could at least tell me who the cruise director and captain are now..but was planning to ask Oceania in the morning. Can't wait for my time to come....which will be soon! Thanks for letting me know he's out of pocket...

Maybe he will see your post and respond.

Have a great cruise. Would love to do that cruise.

Catherine

Hi..Ruth...

Catherine's got me tracked...:-)

We are on the Marina now...so can't easily add much.

You will never get off at Pitcairn ...so no pics.

People are nice and normal... no pics needed.

Sorry, that that thread went unfinished.... lack of focus, I guess. Plus, most of the "cool kids" don't use Cruise Critic anymore.

The Marina is doing fine... it will be ready for you.

We are in Punta Arenas today, working our way up the coast.

???? "most of the cool kids don't use Cruise Critic anymore" ??? Really?

Computerworks: what are the "cool kids" using these days? I'm always interested in new information sources.

BTW, if you never finish posting pics of your Papeete to Lima trip, we'll understand. Nevertheless, we will be disappointed because your photos were great and your narrative as well. However, since you have moved on to other cruises, it is probably hard to generate the same level of excitement as when you just finished a cruise, no matter how wonderful it seemed at the time.