Very Sad News

WesW

It is heartwarming to read all the posts that so accurately describe the wonderful person that was such a strong presence here on Cruise Critic and onboard the ship if one was fortunate enough to share a voyage with Barbara and Tom.

My two strongest recollections of Tom was first his appreciation for anything that was done for him and Barbara. I helped organize the Meet and Greet on one of our cruises and long afterwards he continued to praise our efforts (which were minimal) and offer thanks for undertaking the task. Second, I greatly admired how he and Barbara gracefully accepted the challenges that travel imposed and still managed to savor their time onboard together. They both were an inspiration.

Our condolences to Barbara and the rest of the family. We hope you find strength in the memories this wonderful person leaves behind.

Susan and I had the pleasure of sailing with Tom and Barbara twice and we particularly remember our second time with Tom remembering us (just a prematurely gray codger and a beautiful wife). A wonderful a gentle man who every time I saw him reminded me what love and life are truly about. He will be sorely missed. Jeff

Just saw this sad post and I too will miss Tom's and the public as well as private comments between us. He will certainly be missed and he and I had many wonderful e-mails back and forth.

My sincerest condolences to Barbara and the rest of Tom's family.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice touch Regent. Did hear from Paul a fortnight ago (Tom/Barbara's son) that he heard from Regent (Graham Sadler) to express their sincere condolences for Tom's passing.

Very sorry to hear the sad news. Our sympathies to Barbara and the rest of his family.

Met Tom and Barbara on the Mariner. He struck me as the perfect gentleman with a touch of humour.

The regent board here will surely feel his loss.

Edited by Emdee

Just as a postscript to this thread, the funeral took place on Tuesday. It was a sad occasion but not sombre or sentimental and a fitting tribute to a life well lived. It was kind of Graham Sadler from RSSC to send flowers and the eulogy mentioned not only my Dad's enjoyment of cruises (especially with Regent) but also how much pleasure he got from the CC community both online and also from meeting people on board. We reflected on Tom's life whilst listening to Frank Sinatra sing "It's nice to go travelling". I thought that the best thing we could do would be to book another cruise, so we are on 3 November Miami to San Francisco on Mariner. Thanks again to all for the kind wishes and thoughts.

Thanks Paul for the robust details of Tom's service--echo Rachel's sentiment above it would have been extraordinarily meaningful to be able to attend Tom's service. Pls pass Ida and my very warm regards along to Barbara.

We too would have loved to have been there. I think about Tom so often and how I wish I could have just one more email from him, or one more message on facebook. He always made me smile. Please give our love to Barbara. My Mom, Midge, who met both of your parents on a Mariner crossing also sends her love and condolences.

I love that you are going on a crossing....how perfect! He would have loved that.

Our best to you all,

Kathy and Al

Edited by Anna B.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul - I just read your post about Tom's funeral. How very lovely and how very appropriate - he so loved to go travelling!!

I hope that you and Eileen are taking Barbara with you on the Nov. cruise... much love to you all!

Gerry