Box/sack lunches???

maggie0729

The big issue is produce -- any fruit/vegetable seeds that could grow into a plant that carries different resistance to pesticides and pests... or insects/eggs on the fruit itself.

Most ports are fine with packaged foods, as they have generally been processed or heat treated in a way that kills any pests germinating seeds. That is, a plant won't grow from the seeds in strawberry jelly, the heat in canning makes the seeds unable to germinate.

That said, we always carry granola bars of some sort, to supplement the local cuisine we enjoy ashore. We occasionally make a PB&J sandwich, but never (ever) try to take fruit off the ship.

Being the animal saps we are, it is so tempting to pet the 'puppies'. We also know it BEST to not even reach for the dogs. I am guessing the handlers would not even tell you what the dog was sniffing for should you ask. The three ideas posted just ahead of me are the big ones and getting off a ship, I bet drugs are the prime search.

I just hope I am not too close if a big take down happens. Hit the floor and roll if you can out of walkways and under/beside furniture and walls. All you can do.

Returning from a trip to Egypt many years ago I was nabbed by a cute little beagle. I found the oranges in Egypt to be the best I had ever tasted, and had taken two aboard the plane to eat will in the air. I ate one and never got to the other one and forgot about it, so it was still in my carry on bag as I was about to go through customs. Sure enough, that dog found it. I was taken aside, my bag was searched, the orange was secured, the lecture was given, and I was released to enter society again as a rehabilitated food smuggler. :)

Truthfully, the customs people were very nice. They said it happened all the time and they understood it was an honest mistake. However, it was still embarrassing to be singled out. As far as the other returning passengers were concerned, I could have been smuggling drugs, firearms, or any number of items a criminal might attempt.

Edited by boogs

Not true, actually. This may apply to most ports within the 7-day cruise range of Florida, but not worldwide.

We sailed from Whittier, Alaska. Our first stop was Skagway, Alaska. I wasn't even allowed to bring my coffee off the ship with me, and we hadn't even left the same state! Never did quite understand that one.

The US Public Health service also has quite a bit to say about food taken ashore from cruise ships.

Once prepared, the cruise line has no control over how that food is stored or when it is eaten.

Too many cruisers leave their brains at home, and do not think about that sandwich sitting for several hours on a hot bus or taxi. Then they eat it, get sick, and we have another "Outbreak" on a ship.

As a result, most cruise lines are very reluctant to send food ashore unless it is carefully controlled.

By the way, in Australia it is illegal to take even chewing gum or chocolate bars ashore from a ship.

The US Public Health service also has quite a bit to say about food taken ashore from cruise ships.

Once prepared, the cruise line has no control over how that food is stored or when it is eaten.

Too many cruisers leave their brains at home, and do not think about that sandwich sitting for several hours on a hot bus or taxi. Then they eat it, get sick, and we have another "Outbreak" on a ship.

As a result, most cruise lines are very reluctant to send food ashore unless it is carefully controlled.

By the way, in Australia it is illegal to take even chewing gum or chocolate bars ashore from a ship.

Yep, I found that out the hard way in Sydney. No gum or even mints !!!!

Isn't the whole point of touring the local ports, to experience the local culture? Enjoy a meal at a local restaurant. You'll help promote their economy (which is why they allow the ship to stop there in the first place), and you'll get to experience a meal you can't get aboard.

Why go for mass prepared banquet food, when you can enjoy the fresh local food?

Try go picnic boxes. They are shelf stable, pre-packaged and great for things like planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If everyone stopped spending money in the local economy, the ports would stop allowing the ships to stop there. The whole point of inviting a ship in to your port, is to strengthen the local economy.

Enjoy the local cuisine. You'll get better fresh seafood in most any port in the Caribbean than you'll ever get aboard.

Being the animal saps we are, it is so tempting to pet the 'puppies'. We also know it BEST to not even reach for the dogs. I am guessing the handlers would not even tell you what the dog was sniffing for should you ask. The three ideas posted just ahead of me are the big ones and getting off a ship, I bet drugs are the prime search.

I just hope I am not too close if a big take down happens. Hit the floor and roll if you can out of walkways and under/beside furniture and walls. All you can do.

In Ensenada there is a big, goofy looking Golden that is always wagging it's tail. You do not want the friendly dog sitting next to you.;)

If everyone stopped spending money in the local economy, the ports would stop allowing the ships to stop there. The whole point of inviting a ship in to your port, is to strengthen the local economy.

Enjoy the local cuisine. You'll get better fresh seafood in most any port in the Caribbean than you'll ever get aboard.

I do enjoy local food. I had the best lobster ever in Roatan. I had amazing nachos in Cozumel.

However, there have been times where excursions have made it impossible and I do bring something non perishable on those days.

As the op asked about box lunches, I offered an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the joys of cruising is eating the local food while in port.

Absolutely. It is a highlight of our days in port to enjoy a local lunch. You learn so much about the culture, the local 'flavor' when you have a meal in port.

Yep, I found that out the hard way in Sydney. No gum or even mints !!!!

I always have a tin of Altoids in my purse. It never would have occured to me they were not permitted to be carried ashore. :eek:

I always have a tin of Altoids in my purse. It never would have occured to me they were not permitted to be carried ashore. :eek:

I knew about the strict rules in New Zealand and Australia and figured I'd see what would happen with my Altoids (was willing to "loose" them) and I made it back to the USA with the same tin.

Isn't the whole point of touring the local ports, to experience the local culture? Enjoy a meal at a local restaurant. You'll help promote their economy (which is why they allow the ship to stop there in the first place), and you'll get to experience a meal you can't get aboard.

Why go for mass prepared banquet food, when you can enjoy the fresh local food?

You don't normally have time to experience all the local culture. Food isn't one of the bits of local culture that I'm bothered about.

You don't normally have time to experience all the local culture. Food isn't one of the bits of local culture that I'm bothered about.

And that is one of the most wonderful thing about cruising......

Choices. We have choices. :)

Just returned home from a Western Caribbean cruise and there were agricultural inspectors on the pier in Puerto Limon, Cartegena and Cozumel. They were inspecting the bags of people leaving the ship. There was a large garbage bin where they were throwing out food being brought off the ship.

I saw that in Esenada too back in October, so not just the Caribbean. It was not allowed in Bermuda but that was a good many years ago-not sure if that is still true there.

Some places I want to try the food, like the pizza in Italy,( which was much better than what we Americans call pizza, even New York and Chicago style pizza! I couldn't have much but I had some at least!) However, we did a land trip in France and I discovered I did not like a lot of French food, like nearly raw steak and extremely greasy duck. I should not have been surprised I guess,as I never liked french restaurants either I guess. And yes I know many feel they have the best food, just not me. Hick from the sticks that I am-lol!(with French ancestry to boot!) but I loved France and the fact that a glass of wine cost about the same as a coke did in restaurants! I did find a coffee shop run by Canadians near our hotel in Paris, who did salads more to what I was used to eating so I was okay for lunch. I also spent a good bit of money elsewhere in France on souvenirs, museums,etc., so I was a good tourist.

Also, having diabetes and eating issues because of that, I wonder if the OP may have a reason like that for wanting to pack their lunch.