What's the one cool thing you would recommend to a new HAL cruiser?

POA1

My favorites/tips:

Fruit soft-serve ice cream in a waffle cone.

The cookies at the ice cream station in the Lido.

If you don't like any of the options at dinner, the waiters will create a plate for you from just the side dishes if you ask.

Hot cocoa in the Explorations Cafe (for a charge).

Specify Chocolate Croissants on the room service breakfast menu.

Bran muffins in the Lido for breakfast.

Schnitzel day in the Lido.

Ask for sweet potato fries at the Terrace Grill.

What is schnitzel day in the Lido??? Wife is German and we've booked our first HAL cruise on N. Amsterdam. Do they do a lot of German side dishes??

What is schnitzel day in the Lido??? Wife is German and we've booked our first HAL cruise on N. Amsterdam. Do they do a lot of German side dishes??

Honestly, it's just our family name for the day when they serve wiener schnitzel in the Lido. As I remember there are a number of sausages, and different potato dishes, but it's not really a "themed" day as such. I just find the Lido schnitzel really very good. I look forward to it on every cruise.

Funny story: In the Lido, one time on "schnitzel day," I was in line behind a woman who really must not have had vast culinary experience. She had read the menu and was commenting that she definitely wanted to try the schnitzel. When the server put the breaded piece of meat on her plate, she complained. She wanted the schnitzel. What she got was not schnitzel. He companion looked at the plate and assured her that it was, in fact, schnitzel. She was practically hysterical when she cried, "I thought schnitzel was sausage!"

I think of that every time I see schnitzel on a menu.

To tell the truth, no, I don't. I'm not fond of raisins (although I am learning to eat them in brown bread). Beyond that, though, the raisin buns remind me too much of hot cross buns we ate as kids. Never did like those.

Now, what I do love are some of the Danish served at breakfast. I try hard to stay away from eating them because one is never enough---even while it's also too much. ;)

I could eat a tray full of them!

All the food sounds sooo good...love the sound of Danish, bread pudding..just good everything.

My grandma did not like raisins either and carefully picked them out if she was stuck with a cinnamon roll with them..unlike moi...she just really ate to live where I live to eat:o...and her favorites were her garden vegetables and even had tomato pots when she had to go to a senior place.

I could live on starch..bread, rolls, potatoes, pasta..and have to say no no no alot more...but on Vacation..hmmmmm...../sarah

Edited by sjn911

Let's be honest here, folks... raisins "squeak" against your teeth! You're happily munching a much anticipated little goodie when suddenly, there is a "squeak!" and aaarrgghhh! So, my best tip for a HAL ship is simple. Always select the little danish items with the chopped nuts on top! They're fabulous (and don't squeak!). :)

Edited by Two@Sea

Let's be honest here, folks... raisins "squeak" against your teeth! You're happily munching a much anticipated little goodie when suddenly, there is a "squeak!" and aaarrgghhh! So, my best tip for a HAL ship is simple. Always select the little danish items with the chopped nuts on top! They're fabulous (and don't squeak!). :)

That made me laugh. Thank you! And you are 100% correct!

Ask for the cheese menu after dinner. Holland America has delicious cheese for desert. You can choose four from a list of cheese from around the world. Creamy, buttery goodness!

Am I the only one that loves cheese? This is the thing I think of most when I think Holland America. I'm going on another HA cruise in two weeks. Can't wait to try some new cheeses for desert. :)

Ask for the cheese menu after dinner. Holland America has delicious cheese for desert. You can choose four from a list of cheese from around the world. Creamy, buttery goodness!

Am I the only one that loves cheese? This is the thing I think of most when I think Holland America. I'm going on another HA cruise in two weeks. Can't wait to try some new cheeses for desert. :)

I love cheese. The cheese plates were one of my favorite things on the two European river cruises we did. Since I also like desserts, I will get the cheese too now. Thanks for the tip. We leave in just 4 days for our first HAL cruise.

Whenever I´ve had the cheese plate as dessert on Princess it comes cold and ready prepared straight from the fridge, in the old days they came round with a selection of cheeses for you to choose from. What happens on HAL?

Sandy in Spain

Whenever I´ve had the cheese plate as dessert on Princess it comes cold and ready prepared straight from the fridge, in the old days they came round with a selection of cheeses for you to choose from. What happens on HAL?

Sandy in Spain

As a poster explained above, you can choose four cheeses for your customized cheese plate.

To view the cheese menu, you can go to the thread "Dave's Live from the Ryndam....", currently on the first page of the HAL board. In post #68, he has kindly provided us with a photo of the cheese menu. Some wonderful selections........

Kate

As a poster explained above, you can choose four cheeses for your customized cheese plate.

To view the cheese menu, you can go to the thread "Dave's Live from the Ryndam....", currently on the first page of the HAL board. In post #68, he has kindly provided us with a photo of the cheese menu. Some wonderful selections........

Kate

Thank you so much for the link. Now I need to read the whole thread. I also now have to decide which of the wonderful cheeses to get. I am sure everyone has their favorites. I see some that look quite nice; but some unknown ones.

I'll concur with what others have said before me. Experience & soak in the classy ocean liner atmosphere that is synonymous with HAL. They build ocean liners, not cruise ships. Do a walking art tour. Smile & thank the crew at every interaction you have, as they are by far the most gracious on the high seas. Now for my favorite HAL pass time, spend a sea day on a padded deck chair on the promenade deck. The sound of the water against the ships hull & the creaking of the ship while watching the sun on the sea is truly intoxicating & far more relaxing than any over priced spa treatment.

The concern I got from the question was if the cheeses are served at a proper temperature or straight from the fridge? If princess is serving them cold from a refridgerator then I worry that other lines may be doing the same thing. Cheeses should be close to room temperature so that the natural oils and flavors all come out properly.

Do they serve anything with the cheeses such as fruit (apples, grapes) or a spicy jelly/chutney?

We enjoy the afternoon teas, and the cheeses. We always have a plate waiting for us when we sit at dinner in the MDR of our favorites that we snack on while deciding what to eat. Be sure to enjoy a breakfast in the MDR. Many have no idea that meals are served all meals in the dinning room.

We also love the self tours. On the Westerdam we went to the library and picked up the printed tour and loved all the information we got touring the whole ship. Amazing old ship models and tiles from almost 100 years ago. too much to mention here. Zaandam has musical instruments with great stories behind them as well as many other points of interest. Every dam ship we have been on so far has a tour that if you ask in the library they provide so you can enjoy the art work and other important items displayed.

Just looking for ideas... If you could recommend one thing to someone who is cruising Holland America for the first time - something unique to HAL - what would it be?

I'm thinking about something like the bread pudding, for example.

This is for a Caribbean cruise on the Noordam. Thanks in advance!

This was perfect timing. We, just today, booked our first cruise on HAL. Looking forward to a change from Carnival, hope we will not be disappointed. :)

The concern I got from the question was if the cheeses are served at a proper temperature or straight from the fridge? If princess is serving them cold from a refridgerator then I worry that other lines may be doing the same thing. Cheeses should be close to room temperature so that the natural oils and flavors all come out properly.

Do they serve anything with the cheeses such as fruit (apples, grapes) or a spicy jelly/chutney?

I've only taken one HAL cruise so far, but the cheeses served after dinner were room temperature and served with grapes as I recall. It was nothing like the ice cold, common grocery store type cheeses served on Princess. The HAL cheeses were generous servings of imported, hand crafted, creamy delicious cheese .:)

I've only taken one HAL cruise so far, but the cheeses served after dinner were room temperature and served with grapes as I recall. It was nothing like the ice cold, common grocery store type cheeses served on Princess. The HAL cheeses were generous servings of imported, hand crafted, creamy delicious cheese .:)

Have been on a number of HAL cruises and I often get the cheese plate. There has always been fruit on it. Usually grapes and sometimes apples and other things (depending upon the ship).

the cheese plate is one of the things that I like about HAL :D

Have been on a number of HAL cruises and I often get the cheese plate. There has always been fruit on it. Usually grapes and sometimes apples and other things (depending upon the ship).

the cheese plate is one of the things that I like about HAL :D

Very good news. We love cheese plates. I make them at home as well.