Questions comparing Zuiderdam to Disney Fantasy

Dismomx5

We were on the Fantasy last year, and noted that the ship had:

• RFID key entry into cabins
  • starfish (starboard) and fish (port) mail clips
  • carpeting that "pointed" to the bow
  • magnetic doors which easily held notes, pictures etc
  • a way to check your charges on the tv (gotta LOVE that!)

Can anyone let me know how the Zuiderdam compares with respect to these things? Thanks everyone!

I can supply some answers:

As far as I know, all HAL ship cabin doors read the magnetic strip on your ship ID card in order to unlock.

In the hallway, if you see even cabin numbers, you are in the port side hall, odd cabin numbers are on the starboard side. (HAL does not use the Disney rule of even = outside cabin and odd = inside cabin.)

I'm not aware of carpet patterns pointing towards the bow. Again, smaller cabin numbers forward, and larger numbers aft.

I'm not sure what materials the cabin doors are made out of.

If you would like a summary of your on-boards charges, you may go to the "front office," which is open 24/7 and request a print-out which will be done and given to you on the spot.

No to all, except I don't know if doors hold magnets. Those are sensible amenities on the Fantasy, shows clever design. According to Cruise Critic reviews:

Disney Fantasy - 97% of cruisers loved it. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=549

Zuiderdam - 77% of cruisers loved it. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=266

I've sailed on the Zuiderdam and the Fantasy's sister ship, the Disney Dream. Besides the lack of amenities you mention, the cabins are much nicer on the Disney ships. They have a lot more storage than the ones on HAL, particularly on the Vista Class ships such as the Zuiderdam. I had a verandah on the Zuiderdam and an outside on the Dream. The cabin on the Dream was noticeably larger and just had a 'richer' feel. I really like the 'classic ocean liner' ambience to the Disney ships, much more than the Zuiderdam has. The biggest advantage to the Zuiderdam is the retractable roof over the mid-ship pool.

You are comparing an apple to an orange. Pricing the Disney cruises for a similar itinerary and similar amenity cabin to HAL shows a large difference in price, so naturally the cabins should be better, etc.

We can't afford to take our family on a Disney cruise to AK, but we CAN do it on a HAL ship…so that's the difference that is meaningful to us.

Some cabins (cheaper ones it seems) have metal walls that will hold magnets, but others have enough wallpaper on them that magnets do not work.

No directional carpet, but days of the week noted in the elevators ;-) (directional carpet would be lovely!)

Not sure if the doors would have held magnets.

We can't afford to take our family on a Disney cruise to AK, but we CAN do it on a HAL ship…so that's the difference that is meaningful to us.
For Alaska, Disney's itinerary sucks, to put it bluntly. All of HAL's Alaska itineraries that go to either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier are far better. That, combined with the lack of a covered pool, is why we don't recommend DCL for Alaska. They are basically Disney, with Alaska in the background. Comparing ships alone, the Disney Fantasy/Dream are nicer than the HAL Vista Class ships, particularly the Zuiderdam. Edited by Mary Ellen

We were on the Fantasy last year, and noted that the ship had:

• RFID key entry into cabins
  • starfish (starboard) and fish (port) mail clips
  • carpeting that "pointed" to the bow
  • magnetic doors which easily held notes, pictures etc
  • a way to check your charges on the tv (gotta LOVE that!)

Can anyone let me know how the Zuiderdam compares with respect to these things? Thanks everyone!

Room keys on the Zuiderdam are like most hotel room keys. You insert the card in a slot in the door to unlock it.

There are message holders outside the room. Just decorative (sort of basic) ones. While this isn't on the Zuiderdam, it's similar to this:

21bkhfq.jpg

Carpeting doesn't (or didn't) show which way the bow is, but, as PP pointed out the room numbers are lower forward, higher aft.

Doors are not magnetic. However, HAL allows tape on the doors.

Also, there are no day of the week mats in the elevators.

I agree with Mary Ellen about DCL cruises in Alaska. If you are looking for a Disney cruise with some Alaska on the side, then it's OK. But traveling to Alaska (for many of us) is about Alaska, not the cruise, and the DCL itineraries are not great.

We did the Zuiderdam for our first Alaska cruise (included both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm) and were quite happy with it.

Room keys on the Zuiderdam are like most hotel room keys. You insert the card in a slot in the door to unlock it.

There are message holders outside the room. Just decorative (sort of basic) ones. While this isn't on the Zuiderdam, it's similar to this:

21bkhfq.jpg

Carpeting doesn't (or didn't) show which way the bow is, but, as PP pointed out the room numbers are lower forward, higher aft.

Doors are not magnetic. However, HAL allows tape on the doors.

Also, there are no day of the week mats in the elevators.

I agree with Mary Ellen about DCL cruises in Alaska. If you are looking for a Disney cruise with some Alaska on the side, then it's OK. But traveling to Alaska (for many of us) is about Alaska, not the cruise, and the DCL itineraries are not great.

We did the Zuiderdam for our first Alaska cruise (included both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm) and were quite happy with it.

Thanks, everyone! This picture really helps. Yes, we agree! I am on the Zuiderdam for Alaska, as I prefer the itinerary AND the price! DH has memory issues, so reminding him of the numbers (even/odd) will help him if he gets on the wrong side of the ship. Hmm. No memo board on the outside for messages to others. Oh, well. We'll survive!

Oh, I just thought. Would a small message board/paper and pen fit IN the mail 'box'?

:D

Edited by Dismomx5

Oh, I just thought. Would a small message board/paper and pen fit IN the mail 'box'?

:D

A thin notebook, of maybe 4"x6" paper should fit. Or, how about a pad of larger post-it notes to stick right to the door?

Let's see...

Trade off - Disney very liberal alcohol policy vs several hundred princesses & pirates jacked up on smoothies & ice cream

but I just can't do it....

DCL FAQs

Q: May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A: While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

•Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

•Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

•Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension

•Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.

Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

IMHO, Disney is set up to highlight Disney and not the location of the ship. There are very few public spaces where you can enjoy the view without a plexiglass shield in front of your face. It is there for good reason but there is little space to sit indoors and look out.

I never knew the carpeting in the cabin hallways pointed to bow/stern so that is something I missed while aboard the Magic in January.

Disney provides a lovely venue but the ship is the destination. We paid the same for a 4 day cruise as we did a 1 week on HAL. We found it LOUD all the time and very crowded. We had a great time but we are not sure we would do it again because the most enjoyable part of our vacation is quiet and being able to look out and enjoy the view.

As for a message board, this is one thing that a lot did on Disney but it is not for me. I guess if you want everyone to know your business then you can leave messages for all to read on your door by sticky pad or tape but the phone works just as well or each stateroom has paper and envelopes and you can put an envelop marked "do not remove" and use the same one all through your cruse in your cabin numbered mail slot outside each door.

Enjoy your cruise.