Smoking policy on Holland

Sun&Sand52

There is very little smoking permitted on many cruise lines. No smoking in any cabins or verandahs and that is a major step HAL needs to take.

Many of us will continue to firmly make our opinions known it is time they do join so many other cruise lines and get rid of verandah smoking. The time is past due for HAL to provide smoke free verandahs for the comfort, safety and enjoyment of the vast majority of their guests. When the percentage of smokers is under 20%, the other 80% have a very loud voice. It is that loud voice that has had smoking eliminated in so many venues that previously permitted smoking. This is the last smoking fight we need wrestle.

You appear to be extrapolating a general statistic of the American population and applying to the rather small population a cruise ship. I am not aware of any public available information of the ratio of smokers versus non-smokers on HAL's ships.

I am very sure this post will win me few HAL friends but I am nothing if not direct and honest and open to expressing my opinions. :eek: :o

This statement reminds me of an interview with Randy Pausch, Carnegie Mellon professor and creator of "The Last Lecture" who stated that when he was being honest and direct when sharing his opinions, he wished he would have learned to share them with tact.

You appear to be extrapolating a general statistic of the American population and applying to the rather small population a cruise ship. I am not aware of any public available information of the ratio of smokers versus non-smokers on HAL's ships.

This statement reminds me of an interview with Randy Pausch, Carnegie Mellon professor and creator of "The Last Lecture" who stated that when he was being honest and direct when sharing his opinions, he wished he would have learned to share them with tact.

LOL - these statements remind me of the Scarecrow in the "Wizard of OZ"

I just booked the Volendam a few days ago. I admit to only half listening as the agent ran down the list of things he had to tell me, but I thought he said there was no smoking on the verandahs. (I remember saying a silent, "Hallelujah!") Could the policy be different on certain ships than on others?

I just booked the Volendam a few days ago. I admit to only half listening as the agent ran down the list of things he had to tell me, but I thought he said there was no smoking on the verandahs. (I remember saying a silent, "Hallelujah!") Could the policy be different on certain ships than on others?

Unfortunately your agent is wrong.

HAL permits smoking on all verandahs but not in cabins.

Your TA needs to be more careful to give his clients current, accurate information.

We have taken six HAL cruises and feel that HAL provides an excellent product.

However, we shall not sail HAL again until they adopt a 21st Century smoking policy.

Am I the only one who's wondering why all these folks that have switched their allegiance to another cruise line still subscribe to the HAL board?

Am I the only one who's wondering why all these folks that have switched their allegiance to another cruise line still subscribe to the HAL board?

When HAL finally does catch up with the industry --- where better to find out about it? :)

allegiance to my country ... sure, to a cruise line? -- not so much ;)

I like you Sail because you are the way you are. You have always been one of my Favs!! on CC I enjoy your posts and replies/comebacks alway a good read!! others that post/comments ........not so much..... :)

Edited by shandryl

"Subscribing" to the HAL board does not cost me a dime! I continue to hope that if the majority keep the pressure on HAL they will some day get with the program and join the 21st Century.

I personally don't care what HAL does with their smoking policy, there are plenty of good cruise lines that have a smoking policy in place to protect their passengers.

I only come on here to warn non smokers what they can expect if they book a HAL cruise.

I don't understand why smokers can't understand this, it is not that complicated. It is called caring for others so that they may be saved from wasting money paying for something they don't get.

Smoke to your hearts content but don't object to us warning others that they may have to share your addiction on a HAL cruise.

I personally don't care what HAL does with their smoking policy, there are plenty of good cruise lines that have a smoking policy in place to protect their passengers.

I only come on here to warn non smokers what they can expect if they book a HAL cruise.

I don't understand why smokers can't understand this, it is not that complicated. It is called caring for others so that they may be saved from wasting money paying for something they don't get.

Smoke to your hearts content but don't object to us warning others that they may have to share your addiction on a HAL cruise.

Its a shame you haven't been knighted for your public service.

I like you Sail because you are the way you are. You have always been one of my Favs!! on CC I enjoy your posts and replies/comebacks alway a good read!! others that post/comments ........not so much..... :)

Wow, Thank you, Shandryl.

This has not been the best week for me and this sure was the perfect morning for me to read this.

It was very kind of you to post this. :)

Its a shame you haven't been knighted for your public service.

We all have the right to comment on things that interest us here, without being belittled. What is the point of CC if we cannot comment? It's not just for newbies asking questions. This is an example of what gets smoking/wine posts removed!

Edited by LindaM
edit

We all have the right to comment on things that interest us here, without being belittled. What is the point of CC if we cannot comment? It's not just for newbies asking questions. This is an example of what gets smoking/wine posts removed!

Thank you! Sometimes I am scared to post anything because I am belittled and made to feel stupid. Or people lash out at me for commenting on a thread and state my feelings. I have said several times that that is what CC is for. It's not just for questions. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but some people can be so hateful and mean.

I agree we should all be able to comment on things. And I would add to the list of belittling comments the sly and not-so-subtle digs one often receives from some frequent HAL posters to those who do not post so often on this board.

On the other hand, when commenting, it would be nice if people would do so in a way that is not shrill or overly judgmental. Repeatedly trumpeting the same thing on multiple threads (or even on the same thread!) really doesn't seem necessary as most people with an interest in a particular topic do tend to read all the threads related to that topic.

And I would add to the list of belittling comments the sly and not-so-subtle digs one often receives from some frequent HAL posters to those who do not post so often on this board.

There are some infrequent posters who are just as belittling. No need to let them off the hook.

Being one who is new to cruising, and one who is very sensitive to cigarette smoke, I really appreciate knowing the difference between the smoking policies on the different Cruise Lines.

I really enjoyed my cruise on the Neiuw Amsterdam and would go again in a heartbeat!! But I was in interior cabin (and loved it! ).

If I were to put the extra money to have a balcony, I would probably go with another cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on balcony so that I can enjoy my balcony at any time.

So I am very thankful to you guys that point this out so I can make an informed decision without having to deeply search each and every cruise lines smoking policy on my own. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Being one who is new to cruising, and one who is very sensitive to cigarette smoke, I really appreciate knowing the difference between the smoking policies on the different Cruise Lines.

I really enjoyed my cruise on the Neiuw Amsterdam and would go again in a heartbeat!! But I was in interior cabin (and loved it! ).

If I were to put the extra money to have a balcony, I would probably go with another cruise line that doesn't allow smoking on balcony so that I can enjoy my balcony at any time.

So I am very thankful to you guys that point this out so I can make an informed decision without having to deeply search each and every cruise lines smoking policy on my own. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

We had a balcony on the NA...a cabin on the stern. The people next to us smoked constantly. So on our recent cruises, we booked a lanai and an ocean view. No sense paying for a balcony when we could hardly use it.

I agree and am not attempting to restrict comments. My jibe at Aussiepair is the inference I drew from her/his response is that the poster trolls all the boards for the purpose of crusading against smoking. In my opinion, using Cruise Critic to crusade on any subject, including ones I support, is inappropriate and certainly not interesting.

Here's a response from Holland America when I complained about smoking on balconies:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding smoking onboard our ships.

Thank you for your suggestion and we will pass your comments on to upper management.

Our revised smoking policy is in response to concerns raised by many of our guests both onboard the ships and in our guest satisfaction surveys. The smoking policy is implemented in the interest of comfort to all guests and is in keeping with the majority preference of our guests today. It also aligns with smoking policies prevalent around the globe and with other cruise operators.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance at 877-724-5425. Holland America Line is confident our Signature of Excellence will surpass your expectations. "

And here was my reply to their response:

"Thank you for your prompt response.

I do take exception that your smoking policy was implemented in the interest of comfort to all guests since a guest who chooses to smoke directly affects the comfort of any other guest in the vicinity in a negative manner.

I also take exception that your policy aligns with smoking policies prevalent around the globe and other cruise line operators when, in fact, the majority of cruise lines now prohibit smoking on stateroom balconies. Please refer to this summary of cruise line smoking policies from cruisecritic.com:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=225"

Just sayin.......

I agree and am not attempting to restrict comments. My jibe at Aussiepair is the inference I drew from her/his response is that the poster trolls all the boards for the purpose of crusading against smoking. In my opinion, using Cruise Critic to crusade on any subject, including ones I support, is inappropriate and certainly not interesting.

It appears you still don't get it.

People that are interested or concerned about the smoking policy on a cruise ship will search for relevant threads on forums such as this to get a hopefully balanced view on the subject. If you are a smoker you will see that your addiction is catered for on HAL ships. If you are a non smoker you will see that booking a balcony on HAL ships may result in you paying for something you can not use. This is what the forum is designed to do. If you find HAL's smoking policy suits you then post it up, if it doesn't then post it up, that is how it works.

It appears you still don't get it.

People that are interested or concerned about the smoking policy on a cruise ship will search for relevant threads on forums such as this to get a hopefully balanced view on the subject. If you are a smoker you will see that your addiction is catered for on HAL ships. If you are a non smoker you will see that booking a balcony on HAL ships may result in you paying for something you can not use. This is what the forum is designed to do. If you find HAL's smoking policy suits you then post it up, if it doesn't then post it up, that is how it works.

OK then. As a smoker, the policy doesn't suit me. There's hardly anywhere I CAN smoke!!

Sooo, non-smokers are not happy but neither are smokers!