Anyway to check inventory on a ship?

S&DMOM

Actually there is no way to see EVERY cabin that is available on a ship. There is no U.S. website that does it. The available cabins shown in any search engine are the ones the cruise line is currently offering for view. Usually 5 or so in each category. If you are interested in a certain cabin #, you can either call Celebrity to find out if it's booked yet, or start the booking process online to see if that cabin # shows up available or says not available.

Actually there is no way to see EVERY cabin that is available on a ship. There is no U.S. website that does it. The available cabins shown in any search engine are the ones the cruise line is currently offering for view. Usually 5 or so in each category. If you are interested in a certain cabin #, you can either call Celebrity to find out if it's booked yet, or start the booking process online to see if that cabin # shows up available or says not available.

Maybe not a US site and perhaps not every cabin but many cabins are shown on at least one foreign site, as I'm sure you know

Yes. There actually is. I learned this the other day. It's an online booking website. It's a non US website. I believe it's the UK. Can't post here. You'll have to go and do a mock booking to see cabins. Unfortunately it will only let you see the available cabins in a specific category at a time.

Do a google search. That's how I found it.

Yes. There actually is. I learned this the other day. It's an online booking website. It's a non US website. I believe it's the UK. Can't post here. You'll have to go and do a mock booking to see cabins. Unfortunately it will only let you see the available cabins in a specific category at a time.

Do a google search. That's how I found it.

While that website shows considerably more than most US sites, it does not show all available staterooms if more than fifteen are available on a given deck/given category. There may be some other restrictions as well on what is displayed.

Maybe not a US site and perhaps not every cabin but many cabins are shown on at least one foreign site, as I'm sure you know

There is a European website often discussed, and sometimes alluded to with a hint of the name, on these boards as showing the full inventory. But we've found that this is not the case. While it does show quite a bit more available cabins than most other sites the number shown has a maximum and will not show more than that.

While that website shows considerably more than most US sites, it does not show all available staterooms if more than fifteen are available on a given deck/given category. There may be some other restrictions as well on what is displayed.

There is a European website often discussed, and sometimes alluded to with a hint of the name, on these boards as showing the full inventory. But we've found that this is not the case. While it does show quite a bit more available cabins than most other sites the number shown has a maximum and will not show more than that.

In addition to the concerns highlighted above, the site alluded to is not instantaneously updated, and/or completely accurate. (It showed as available, for a couple of days, a cabin that was already booked by a friend of mine.) :(

It IS however, MUCH more accurate in showing close-to-true cabin availability numbers than anything else. AND it is absolutely INVALUABLE in predicting future price changes and best-time-to-book. :cool:

The recent example of cabin availability vs. price changes for Reflection's April transatlantic (and for Silhouette as well) was textbook perfect. ;)

The cabin listing limit is 15/deck not category. So for the Infinity fall TA, there are 45 C3 cabins on three decks shown - and we can assume that there are even more than that available in reality. When that number drops below 15, it might be a good assumption that's all there's left. And once it drops to just a few, you can assume prices are going up.:cool:

The one weird situation is when Celebrity keeps selling GTY rates for a certain category, but no site shows any availability in that category.:confused:

The cabin listing limit is 15/deck not category. So for the Infinity fall TA, there are 45 C3 cabins on three decks shown - and we can assume that there are even more than that available in reality. When that number drops below 15, it might be a good assumption that's all there's left. And once it drops to just a few, you can assume prices are going up.:cool:

The one weird situation is when Celebrity keeps selling GTY rates for a certain category, but no site shows any availability in that category.:confused:

I wonder about that also

They anticipate cancellations and may consider upgrades to open spots. They typically want to ensure some entry level cabins/pricing still show as available. I am a former travel agent and have watched them do these things for years.

They anticipate cancellations and may consider upgrades to open spots. They typically want to ensure some entry level cabins/pricing still show as available. I am a former travel agent and have watched them do these things for years.

So you're a good person to ask. I booked an inside guarantee just to be on the ship, hoping for balcony prices to come down so I could upgrade. Prices haven't moved but the cabins aren't selling either, based on our daily counting. Ship sails in 50 days. Have you ever known them to accept an upgrade offer for less than current price? Let's say I called and said, I will give you $150/pp to move to a 1B, or a balcony guarantee. Is that even worth trying? Some price that's lower than the current offer but still reasonable?

Thx! Cathy

So you're a good person to ask. I booked an inside guarantee just to be on the ship, hoping for balcony prices to come down so I could upgrade. Prices haven't moved but the cabins aren't selling either, based on our daily counting. Ship sails in 50 days. Have you ever known them to accept an upgrade offer for less than current price? Let's say I called and said, I will give you $150/pp to move to a 1B, or a balcony guarantee. Is that even worth trying? Some price that's lower than the current offer but still reasonable?

Thx! Cathy

I tried this recently and my offer was declined. Was told I'd be contacted if they were interested in a paid upgrade from me but never heard another word. Was later told that Celebrity doesn't really deal with customers. So I wouldn't put much hope into this idea.

Also they know how many cabins are being held by TAs and have an idea of how many they can expect will be released back into inventory.

True, but they can recall that inventory at any time and it is always recalled by final payment due date.
Yes, but it really doesn't make any difference to the passenger booking a GTY whether the unsold cabins are eventually returned to inventory by being recalled or released.

As long as the TA holds them, they don't show up as available to the general public on the cruise line's website, so people wonder why they keep selling GTY cabins for a category that does not appear to have any availability.

Another reason for doing it that way, if the availability is actually in a higher level category, is that it provides an easy way to sell out the remaining cabins without needing to give a price drop to the people who had already booked the higher category at a higher price.

That's a common misconception. I've seen 23 cabins in a single category displayed. But I also had someone be assigned a cabin on our cruise that did not show on that site as an available cabin. . .and believe me, I checked every day multiple times!

On the site I think you are referring to, the Family Verandas on my March 7, 2015 sailed are listed as sold out

Whilst on the other common site I just see "..." for that room catergory

I'm very happy with the price and package we have but I'd still like to check

On the site I think you are referring to, the Family Verandas on my March 7, 2015 sailed are listed as sold out

Whilst on the other common site I just see "..." for that room catergory

I'm very happy with the price and package we have but I'd still like to check

The FVs are a different animal. They usually do not put them out there; you have to have a party of 5 to be able to book, and you have to call to do it.

BUT if they're not selling, they will sometimes put them out on the regular inventory at a low price and that's a great opportunity to snap them up. That's how I got mine for only two people, but with all that room, my daughter and her BF decided to join us in the Med at the very last minute (from Australia!) and it worked out great! (Except the boyfriend. . .I didn't like him, and he didn't last long!)

• 4 years later...

Dear WantToCruise,

May I request for the address of the web-site mentioned by you from which I could get some information about the (approximate) number of cabins available in any category.  Please send it 'off topic' to me on my mail address rakesh_misra@hotmail.com if you wish.  I am looking for this information to ascertain how many cabins (not necessarily the exact location or cabin numbers) are available at any time so that I could buy my cabin at the optimum time.  In any case I wish to buy a 'guaranteed' cabin where the exact cabin number is allocated by the cruise line itself.

Thanks and God Bless

On 2/28/2014 at 3:45 PM, CathyCruises said:

That's a common misconception. I've seen 23 cabins in a single category displayed. But I also had someone be assigned a cabin on our cruise that did not show on that site as an available cabin. . .and believe me, I checked every day multiple times!

Agree, they may hold some back, but  I just checked on a cruise I am considering on a M Class and all but 5 Aqua 1s showed as available.  That availability included the new Aqua cabins that are not showing on the deck plans except for the Millenium. So either they are holding 5 back or the 5 are booked.

I checked on the X, site and the sites of 2 on-line TAs I book with.